BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-03-01 10:44 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by Hot Runner I'm alive, made it thru surgery okay, no sleep last night as i could feel nerve block wear off. That took almost 18 hours! Now just very sore. Trying to make it without the controlled substances. OMG. I *may* make it off the couch sometime. Attaching proof of my bionic nature. Aero, not so much. My scrawny arm is now actually the size of the buff athlete I've always wanted to be. Alas no doubt some serious shrinkage is coming!

You are bionic! Glad the surgery went well. Here's to quick, painless healing!

2019-03-01 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner I'm alive, made it thru surgery okay, no sleep last night as i could feel nerve block wear off. That took almost 18 hours! Now just very sore. Trying to make it without the controlled substances. OMG. I *may* make it off the couch sometime. Attaching proof of my bionic nature. Aero, not so much. My scrawny arm is now actually the size of the buff athlete I've always wanted to be. Alas no doubt some serious shrinkage is coming!

Glad that is in your rear view mirror. Don't let the pain get a head of you. Rest and heal up.

2019-03-01 12:12 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I'm alive, made it thru surgery okay, no sleep last night as i could feel nerve block wear off. That took almost 18 hours! Now just very sore. Trying to make it without the controlled substances. OMG. I *may* make it off the couch sometime. Attaching proof of my bionic nature. Aero, not so much. My scrawny arm is now actually the size of the buff athlete I've always wanted to be. Alas no doubt some serious shrinkage is coming!

Heal soon. Not what you wanted, but that looks pretty bad-assed!
2019-03-01 12:25 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

March 2-3
Janyne - Myrtle Beach marathon on Saturday
Jen - Chilly Half Marathon on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Please send healing thoughts toward Karen. Her elbow surgery was today.

Small group, but still exciting racing this weekend! Go get 'em Janyne and Jen!! 

Thanks! Glad i've been doing some training even if not great training. I keep saying to myself that i'll be happy i did it come spring because it's better to have a base than to start fresh but, man, this winter has been icy, snowy, windy and it is really going to be a 'Cold Half Marathon' this weekend. 

2019-03-01 12:27 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by awm007

x2 - and as someone else said - one thing done on your road back to the regular you! :D Onward! 

2019-03-02 7:15 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by juniperjen

x2 - and as someone else said - one thing done on your road back to the regular you! :D Onward! 

Good luck with the healing and the rehab Karen.

2019-03-02 1:26 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Much better today. Actually got to sleep and doing fine on OTC pain meds, less painful than pre-op, just stiff and a lot of swelling. No cast and will be able to start real range of motion work in a week, a little gentle stuff even now. Had a very rough 8 hours or so after the nerve block wore off and learned the hard way that I don't respond well or quickly to stronger drugs. Very little pain relief at recommended dosage and got wretchedly nauseous despite lots of meds to counteract it. Not about to sign up for opioid addiction!
2019-03-02 3:57 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Much better today. Actually got to sleep and doing fine on OTC pain meds, less painful than pre-op, just stiff and a lot of swelling. No cast and will be able to start real range of motion work in a week, a little gentle stuff even now. Had a very rough 8 hours or so after the nerve block wore off and learned the hard way that I don't respond well or quickly to stronger drugs. Very little pain relief at recommended dosage and got wretchedly nauseous despite lots of meds to counteract it. Not about to sign up for opioid addiction!
That is so excellent that you are getting to start to move and not having much pain! That should help your mental state during recovery. Remember though, it is not linear, days with no improvement are not back steps, just part of the process.

2019-03-03 3:11 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by juniperjen

Good luck with the healing and the rehab Karen.

Karen--sending you all kinds of healing vibes and patience!!
2019-03-04 7:00 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner Much better today. Actually got to sleep and doing fine on OTC pain meds, less painful than pre-op, just stiff and a lot of swelling. No cast and will be able to start real range of motion work in a week, a little gentle stuff even now. Had a very rough 8 hours or so after the nerve block wore off and learned the hard way that I don't respond well or quickly to stronger drugs. Very little pain relief at recommended dosage and got wretchedly nauseous despite lots of meds to counteract it. Not about to sign up for opioid addiction!

I'm glad to see you are making progress this quickly. It'll probably take a while, but you'll get there, one step at a time. It's also good to see that there is no chance for opiod addiction in your future!

2019-03-04 7:02 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

March 2-3
Janyne - Myrtle Beach marathon on Saturday
Jen - Chilly Half Marathon on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Please send healing thoughts toward Karen. Her elbow surgery was today.

Nice job on your races this weekend ladies. I'm always impressed with the hard work that goes into these types of things. Congratulations!

2019-03-04 9:27 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Wishing you continued healing and recovery with less pain!  

2019-03-04 10:46 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Much better today. Actually got to sleep and doing fine on OTC pain meds, less painful than pre-op, just stiff and a lot of swelling. No cast and will be able to start real range of motion work in a week, a little gentle stuff even now. Had a very rough 8 hours or so after the nerve block wore off and learned the hard way that I don't respond well or quickly to stronger drugs. Very little pain relief at recommended dosage and got wretchedly nauseous despite lots of meds to counteract it. Not about to sign up for opioid addiction!

Karen - glad the OTC meds are working for you, and that you're able to get some restful sleep. It sucks, but wow you have a neat looking xray now! Bionic Karen!!!
2019-03-04 3:55 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I'm alive, made it thru surgery okay, no sleep last night as i could feel nerve block wear off. That took almost 18 hours! Now just very sore. Trying to make it without the controlled substances. OMG. I *may* make it off the couch sometime. Attaching proof of my bionic nature. Aero, not so much. My scrawny arm is now actually the size of the buff athlete I've always wanted to be. Alas no doubt some serious shrinkage is coming!

I truly hope the recovery goes well!
2019-03-04 6:40 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Team Racing Manatees- Dooo Eeeet is officiall registered for the Land and Sky Relay.

Karl, you and I are the chauffeur/sherpas

2019-03-05 7:59 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Atlantia
Karen - glad the OTC meds are working for you, and that you're able to get some restful sleep. It sucks, but wow you have a neat looking xray now! Bionic Karen!!!

What she said! No need not to cut the pain with something but glad the OTC works well.  

2019-03-05 8:54 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ceilidh

Team Racing Manatees- Dooo Eeeet is officiall registered for the Land and Sky Relay.

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!  Thanks for taking charge of this, Robin.

2019-03-05 9:21 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

I'm so excited that we are actually registered! Woo hoo!

Thanks so much for coordinating the registration, Robin! I realize that it's probably like herding cats ;-)

2019-03-05 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Karen, I hope that you are doing well today and that you have been able to get at least a little sleep. Fingers crossed that things are more tolerable from here on out.

2019-03-05 10:57 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So it occurred to me this morning that my training this summer will likely qualify me for Marathon Maniacs

I am doing Bataan in March, Colorado in May and Eagle Up in June. PLUS Mary is twisting my arm to do the Colfax Marathon, which, btw, gives an adidas backpack/duffle to entrants who complete a marathon between Jan 1 and May 18, then do the Colfax Marathon. They call it a double marathon award

2019-03-05 11:10 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Doing okay. Sleep is so-so but it's not really a pain issue. I have a pretty good setup that works--between pillows and OTC meds I'm actually not that uncomfortable and pain usually isn't waking me up, unless the cats flip me into a weird position (how, I don't know, but they do sometimes--we are talking 3 cats that weigh a total of about 38 pounds!) I think it's more the lack of normal levels of physical activity. I've always had trouble sleeping if not hitting training pretty intensely, plus most of my life have had a pretty active job on top of that to get myself worn out.

I really am hyperactive and have always been that way--it's not mental--not lying awake thinking/worrying about stuff--but physical/ neurological. Hard to explain--it's like I idle too fast. Like this from toddlerhood. Only a ton of physical activity, or being at high altitude, really throws the "sleep" switch in my brain. Otherwise I just kind of doze, fidget, and drop off for short periods, then wake up around 4:30 or 5. (My poor mom! Then again, she's also not a good sleeper. More the stay awake and worry type.) My coach usually has me do extra easy swim volume when I back off training during taper or recovery to help with this; not a choice now! If the doctor gives me clearance Friday I think I will build up walk time more to help with sleep.

2019-03-05 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Not to belabor an old point, but the Jogo Challenge judges have spoken and a glorious prize package had been sent to Melanie! And by glorious I mean a coozie and a bottle opener.  So while the prize may not be the largest, the sentiment was true. you all worked hard, and I am very thankful for all of the encouragement and motivation.

2019-03-05 11:58 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Not to belabor an old point, but the Jogo Challenge judges have spoken and a glorious prize package had been sent to Melanie! And by glorious I mean a coozie and a bottle opener.  So while the prize may not be the largest, the sentiment was true. you all worked hard, and I am very thankful for all of the encouragement and motivation.

Congratulations MELANIE!!!!

2019-03-05 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

Congratulations MELANIE!!!!

WooHoo MELANIE!!!

2019-03-05 12:12 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

So it occurred to me this morning that my training this summer will likely qualify me for Marathon Maniacs

I am doing Bataan in March, Colorado in May and Eagle Up in June. PLUS Mary is twisting my arm to do the Colfax Marathon, which, btw, gives an adidas backpack/duffle to entrants who complete a marathon between Jan 1 and May 18, then do the Colfax Marathon. They call it a double marathon award

You are really putting the run in rrrunner!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107