BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-14 8:06 AM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by tcarlson78 Who is going to do TR's Sufferlandria 2015? It looks like fun but I don't want to blow myself up by doing that and doing Cycle Club at our local YMCA. I like the idea of watching some of the videos but that adds extra expense. Has anyone done past years? What did you think?

I've also thought about doing this...frankly I'm scared. 

It's definitely not in the training plan as I'm in late base phase, but it sure would be a nice kick in the pants training stress-wise.  I don't have any of the videos in the Tour (I only have Hell Hath No Fury), so the cost is an issue too.

2015-01-14 8:11 AM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by tcarlson78 Who is going to do TR's Sufferlandria 2015? It looks like fun but I don't want to blow myself up by doing that and doing Cycle Club at our local YMCA. I like the idea of watching some of the videos but that adds extra expense. Has anyone done past years? What did you think?

As a converted roadie I cannot back down from a cycling challenge such as this.  I will do it.  I completed last years, and I remember it being OK for the most part except for the Angels + The Hunted stage.

I'm a huge fan of the sufferfest workouts.  They do a great job in adding intensity to my winter trainer sessions.

2015-01-14 8:13 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

It's definitely not in the training plan as I'm in late base phase, but it sure would be a nice kick in the pants training stress-wise.  I don't have any of the videos in the Tour (I only have Hell Hath No Fury), so the cost is an issue too.

If you have an Android tablet or Ipad you could get the App for $10 a month (just unsubscribe after this month) to get access to all the videos except Elements of Style and Nine Hammers.

If you don't have Elements of style, then I would recommend it.  It's a good video for practicing technique with just enough intensity to make you feel like you did something.

2015-01-14 8:53 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by msteiner

If you have an Android tablet or Ipad you could get the App for $10 a month (just unsubscribe after this month) to get access to all the videos except Elements of Style and Nine Hammers.

If you don't have Elements of style, then I would recommend it.  It's a good video for practicing technique with just enough intensity to make you feel like you did something.

I didn't know about the app, thanks. I have 10 of the videos anyway, so perhaps not really useful for me, but good to know if I want to try a new video before buying it.

Trainer Road has all the workouts in their program also, for those of you who didn't know. You could go down the route of taking out a trainer road membership for a monthfor $10 to do the tour and you can cancel afterwards if you wish. If you make the $10 donation to the David Phinney Foundation through the Trainerroad sufferfest page you also get entered into the trainer road prize draw pool.
2015-01-14 9:00 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
If I only have a very very basic wireless bike computer that will give me speed and cadence (no ant+) can you still use suffer fest videos?
2015-01-14 9:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by StaceyK If I only have a very very basic wireless bike computer that will give me speed and cadence (no ant+) can you still use suffer fest videos?

You can do the videos by following the RPE intensity in the videos, but you won't be able to do the trainer road challenge for it, as it requires ANT+ to work correctly.

ETA: You can donate $10 to the Davis Phinney Foundation.  You can find the link in here http://www.thesufferfest.com/tour-sufferlandria-2015/

If you do that then Sufferfest picks a winner daily from the pool of donors. 

Edited by msteiner 2015-01-14 9:09 AM

2015-01-14 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by StaceyK If I only have a very very basic wireless bike computer that will give me speed and cadence (no ant+) can you still use suffer fest videos?

You can do the videos by following the RPE intensity in the videos, but you won't be able to do the trainer road challenge for it, as it requires ANT+ to work correctly.

ETA: You can donate $10 to the Davis Phinney Foundation.  You can find the link in here http://www.thesufferfest.com/tour-sufferlandria-2015/

My excuses are dwindling.  I already use TR and it's only $10 for the app.  :-/

2015-01-14 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

The Garmin GSC-10 is about $50 here in the States..not sure what the cost would be down there. 

One of those things is a pretty good long-term investment anyway, though it's really easy for me to spend other people's money.  :-)

2015-01-14 9:53 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Master
Northern IL

The Garmin GSC-10 is about $50 here in the States..not sure what the cost would be down there. 

One of those things is a pretty good long-term investment anyway, though it's really easy for me to spend other people's money.  :-)

Probably like $500 with what everything else seems to cost her down there!

The Sufferfest videos were first made using RPE, and still use the RPE scale. It's only more recently that they began tying RPE to FTP and power. The newer ones use 7.5 as FTP whereas older ones it was more like 7, but could move around some as they just had more vague descriptions. Some of the revised ones (like the newest Angels) has updated to the newer scale.

2015-01-14 11:31 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

On a related bike gear question, I've used a Cat-eye double wireless for years and it is approaching the end of its life.  Buttons stick, auto pause doesn't work anymore, etc.

I do not link to anything so just need good basics like speed, distance, cadence.  Don't do power but would like something compatible for the future maybe.

It has been forever since I've looked at what is available and am a little overwhelmed with the options.  What do you think of about a Garmin 500?  I found a bundle which includes speed/cadence sensor and heartrate for $199.

Also, can this be easily swapped between by bikes?

Edited by popsracer 2015-01-14 11:32 AM
2015-01-14 11:55 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

While we are on the shoes topic:

Hokas - I HATED the Cliftons. And I have never said I hated a shoe before. They felt really clunky on the track on the turns. Then again, I am sure they will have a better racing flat type shoe for the public soon. I have seen Leo Manzano and David Torrence sporting them for track racing because obviously their other product offerings aren't going to cut it for that type of racing. I was surprised they weren't more comfortable with all that cushioning, too.

But the biggest takeaway about shoes is that they are extremely personal. You pick what is comfortable and go with it and it's not much more complicated than that.

On another note, I found some trail shoes. I poured over consumer and professional reviews and went with the Brooks Cascadia. Partially because they are well reviewed for what I am looking for and also because I am familiar with the fit and comfort of Brooks. I really enjoy them. I am also currently product testing the New Balance Leadville 1210v2. I enjoy them as well. One thing I notice about both, and this may be a trail shoe thing, but the heel cup tends to be a little wider. I have narrow feet so it's really noticeable. I will likely just wear taller socks (I wear no socks, or no-show typically) to avoid heel chafe. 

2015-01-14 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by popsracer

On a related bike gear question, I've used a Cat-eye double wireless for years and it is approaching the end of its life.  Buttons stick, auto pause doesn't work anymore, etc.

I do not link to anything so just need good basics like speed, distance, cadence.  Don't do power but would like something compatible for the future maybe.

It has been forever since I've looked at what is available and am a little overwhelmed with the options.  What do you think of about a Garmin 500?  I found a bundle which includes speed/cadence sensor and heartrate for $199.

Steve, the Garmin 500 bundle (assuming it includes the speed/cadence sensor and HR monitor) is about all you'll ever need.  I have an 800 which is basically a bigger 500 with mapping and another $200 from my wallet.  If I had to make the decision again I would've gotten the 500.

Here's DC Rainmaker's REALLY long review:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/12/garmin-edge-500-in-depth-review.html

Edited by jmhpsu93 2015-01-14 12:30 PM
2015-01-14 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The 500 is a nice unit.  I think that you'd like it.

2015-01-14 1:14 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Asalzwed

While we are on the shoes topic:

Hokas - I HATED the Cliftons. And I have never said I hated a shoe before. They felt really clunky on the track on the turns. Then again, I am sure they will have a better racing flat type shoe for the public soon. I have seen Leo Manzano and David Torrence sporting them for track racing because obviously their other product offerings aren't going to cut it for that type of racing. I was surprised they weren't more comfortable with all that cushioning, too.

But the biggest takeaway about shoes is that they are extremely personal. You pick what is comfortable and go with it and it's not much more complicated than that.

On another note, I found some trail shoes. I poured over consumer and professional reviews and went with the Brooks Cascadia. Partially because they are well reviewed for what I am looking for and also because I am familiar with the fit and comfort of Brooks. I really enjoy them. I am also currently product testing the New Balance Leadville 1210v2. I enjoy them as well. One thing I notice about both, and this may be a trail shoe thing, but the heel cup tends to be a little wider. I have narrow feet so it's really noticeable. I will likely just wear taller socks (I wear no socks, or no-show typically) to avoid heel chafe.  

Cool! I meant to weigh in on the trail shoe discussion way back when but got distracted - squirrel! - and forgot.  I love my Brooks Cascadias, so much so that we're blood sisters (for those not in the know I had a lovely trail run incident this summer that involved much bloodletting and stitches, NOT the fault of the Brooks!). I use them as my 'good' trail shoes and my Adidas Response Trail as 'old' trail shoes (for mud or snow or slop).  I think the Adidas are heavier, and have a more aggro tread which probably accounts for the weight, but the Cascadia is a nice blend of weight and tread for general trail running.

Edited by melbo55 2015-01-14 1:15 PM
2015-01-14 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

The Edge 500 has to be one of the best bike computers ever made.  I bought mine for $300 when they were new, and even then I didn't get buyer's remorse.  With the speed/cadence sensor $199 is a very good deal.  I have a collection of Garmin HRM's by now, but I use a Powercal for HR and "power" when I'm outdoors.

2015-01-14 1:21 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Elite
Good morning Manatees. Its nice to be back - finding if i dip in here each day it's not overwhelming to get through the posts!

had a nice run yesterday - just 4km through the park near my office. My pace is pretty slow and i can't fit 5km in a lunch break just yet. Working on it.

Supposed to swim last night but it was 14C and windy and raining - i'm not training for a race right now don't need that!

Today is a rest day - unscheduled just decided when I woke up how tired i am and it's raining!

Love to you all.

2015-01-14 1:24 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

that sounds like a great deal!

I love my 810 - and the only reason I went with that over the 500 is for mapping.

I swap it between my bikes all the time - super easy!
2015-01-14 1:33 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

that sounds like a great deal! I love my 810 - and the only reason I went with that over the 500 is for mapping. I swap it between my bikes all the time - super easy!

Looks like Mary found a 500 in the classifieds. Timely!

2015-01-14 1:33 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Thanks for all the feedback on the 500.  I think one is in my future.

Can I ask about power?

What would be a good unit that isn't dependant on the hub?  I'd like to find something cheap, simple that I can use with different wheels.

2015-01-14 1:51 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Can I ask about power?

What would be a good unit that isn't dependant on the hub?  I'd like to find something cheap, simple that I can use with different wheels.

"Cheap" and "power" are pretty much mutually exclusive.  The hub-based Powertaps are the cheapest.  Pedal and crank-based ones are pretty spendy.

A Trainer Road subscription ($89/year) will get you Virtual Power if you have a good fluid trainer (CycleOps or Kinetic); the other trainers are have a little less stable power curve.  But that doesn't help you once you go outdoors.

2015-01-14 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Can I ask about power?

It will start some interesting discussion, but I use one of these:
http://www.powertap.com/collections/powercal/products/powercal

Here's DCRainmaker's review of it:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/11/cycleops-powercal-in-depth-review.html

Obviously it's a very portable solution as it's a HR strap for practical purposes.  What I do is pace by TR when I'm indoors, and I'll use the powercal when I'm riding outdoors.

2015-01-14 3:31 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jobaxas Good morning Manatees. Its nice to be back - finding if i dip in here each day it's not overwhelming to get through the posts! had a nice run yesterday - just 4km through the park near my office. My pace is pretty slow and i can't fit 5km in a lunch break just yet. Working on it. Supposed to swim last night but it was 14C and windy and raining - i'm not training for a race right now don't need that! Today is a rest day - unscheduled just decided when I woke up how tired i am and it's raining! Love to you all.

Hiya, Jo, congrats on the run!  How is the tick bite healing?

2015-01-14 3:49 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

that sounds like a great deal! I love my 810 - and the only reason I went with that over the 500 is for mapping. I swap it between my bikes all the time - super easy!

Looks like Mary found a 500 in the classifieds. Timely!

Timely indeed.  I was just talking with Alex about getting a better computer last night and stumbled across it this morning.  Doesn't have a HRM but that's okay; I already have one.  Guess I'll need to get a speed/cadence sensor.  Given the price I got it for, I'm happy to shell out for that.  Now I'm just hoping that he doesn't give it to the local guy who contacted him after I did...

2015-01-14 3:52 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jobaxas Good morning Manatees. Its nice to be back - finding if i dip in here each day it's not overwhelming to get through the posts! had a nice run yesterday - just 4km through the park near my office. My pace is pretty slow and i can't fit 5km in a lunch break just yet. Working on it. Supposed to swim last night but it was 14C and windy and raining - i'm not training for a race right now don't need that! Today is a rest day - unscheduled just decided when I woke up how tired i am and it's raining! Love to you all.

Good job getting the run in yesterday, Jo!  Rainy weather can definitely suck the motivation right out of a person, especially when you're tired.

2015-01-14 4:11 PM
in reply to: #5075498

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Nothing like breaking up a fight between 2 male students to get your heartrate maxed out. I'm getting too old for this crap.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55431 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.