BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-05-27 8:13 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by GoFaster

You guys race shorter races with Chamois cream?  Just wondering.

Never in races.  I used to use it for long training rides but just got out of the habit of using it.

I do, but just out of habit, I think. I don't think it does anything special on shorter races/rides.

On a side note, a number of years ago I got the "Eurostyle" by mistake. Good Lord, WTF is that all about?????

Yeah - Eurostyle is what they had and what I bought.  Oh, cooling sensation I thought, that should be good.  2min later I was wondering what I'd just done to myself.  Second time using it was not nearly as much of a shock to the system, but I really question the whole "cooling concept".

2014-05-27 8:31 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I don't know what Eurostyle is but I'm pretty sure I'm going to avoid it....

On the Euro subject line, I'm headed to France for 3 weeks tonight.  No bike, no swim while I'm there and hopefully I can find some time to run.

2014-05-27 8:40 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by axteraa

On the Euro subject line, I'm headed to France for 3 weeks tonight.  No bike, no swim while I'm there and hopefully I can find some time to run.

Safe travels, Arend - that is a long trip - hopefully you will get some time in burning a few extra calories. I cannot imagine what I would look like if I came back from 3 weeks in France with no working out under my belt.... FWIW I use the "Swim Radar" app to find pools when I am traveling. It was really helpful the last time I was I France and I found several really great places to swim. It will expose you to a whole OTHER kind of "eurostyle" swimming in French public pools though....

2014-05-27 8:40 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by ligersandtions

My tri group did a ride-swim-ride session today, where we ride ~23 miles to a lake, swim, then ride back (though I didn't have quite enough time to ride back, so I got picked up at the lake).  Anyways, I realized that if I want to do non-wetsuit races, a swim skin is going to be a necessity.  My tri top is like a parachute when I swim in it.  And a lot of TX races are not wetsuit legal, so I guess there's yet another thing to purchase

That's interesting. Does it do ok on the bike? I've had them balloon out a bit in the first couple minutes of the bike, when I'm still soaked from the swim, but they come in tighter once they dry some.

It's okay (enough) on the bike.  The top is somewhat larger and lower cut in the chest area to accommodate female anatomy....hah.  It might not be the most aerodynamic, but it certainly doesn't act like a parachute on the bike. 

It's got me wondering if the ITU style, zipper in the back one-piece might make sense for Sprint/Oly distance (non-wetsuit) races. 

2014-05-27 8:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Don't you have the Aerus Biospeed bike bag?  Sounds like between that and Rusty's Swim Radar app, we've got you covered for SB as well

ETA: have a great trip!  Business or pleasure?

Edited by ligersandtions 2014-05-27 8:42 AM
2014-05-27 8:54 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Don't you have the Aerus Biospeed bike bag?  Sounds like between that and Rusty's Swim Radar app, we've got you covered for SB as well

Business.  If it's anything like the last time I did one of these, I will be working 15-20 hour days for a lot of it.  That's why I won't be riding or swimming.  At best I will find an hour here and there to run.

2014-05-27 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Business.  If it's anything like the last time I did one of these, I will be working 15-20 hour days for a lot of it.  That's why I won't be riding or swimming.  At best I will find an hour here and there to run.

Well, if you're going to bump up over race weight, France is about as good a place on the planet in which to do it!  Enjoy.  

2014-05-27 9:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

My tri group did a ride-swim-ride session today, where we ride ~23 miles to a lake, swim, then ride back (though I didn't have quite enough time to ride back, so I got picked up at the lake).  Anyways, I realized that if I want to do non-wetsuit races, a swim skin is going to be a necessity.  My tri top is like a parachute when I swim in it.  And a lot of TX races are not wetsuit legal, so I guess there's yet another thing to purchase

That's interesting. Does it do ok on the bike? I've had them balloon out a bit in the first couple minutes of the bike, when I'm still soaked from the swim, but they come in tighter once they dry some.

It's okay (enough) on the bike.  The top is somewhat larger and lower cut in the chest area to accommodate female anatomy....hah.  It might not be the most aerodynamic, but it certainly doesn't act like a parachute on the bike. 

It's got me wondering if the ITU style, zipper in the back one-piece might make sense for Sprint/Oly distance (non-wetsuit) races. 

Hmmm…. Follow up question.

I always thought that you peeled yourself out of a swim skin after the swim, like a wetsuit.  Does it actually replace a trisuit?

I have no experience with them, as pretty much everything up this way is wetsuit legal - and often wetsuit "strongly advised."  However, if we end up heading to Austin, I'll have to figure it out!

FWIW, I have a one piece that I used in sprint/Oly distances in which I have occasionally done OWSs.  Works well - the pocket in back has a flap-like cover that prevents it ballooning with water, and the back zipper keeps the neck taught.  That said, my two piece tops are similar (pocket-flap-wise) except they zip in the front - haven't had any problem swimming in them, either (but they're cut to accommodate a different anatomy, I suppose!).

Matt

2014-05-27 10:18 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Hmmm…. Follow up question.

I always thought that you peeled yourself out of a swim skin after the swim, like a wetsuit.  Does it actually replace a trisuit?

I have no experience with them, as pretty much everything up this way is wetsuit legal - and often wetsuit "strongly advised."  However, if we end up heading to Austin, I'll have to figure it out!

FWIW, I have a one piece that I used in sprint/Oly distances in which I have occasionally done OWSs.  Works well - the pocket in back has a flap-like cover that prevents it ballooning with water, and the back zipper keeps the neck taught.  That said, my two piece tops are similar (pocket-flap-wise) except they zip in the front - haven't had any problem swimming in them, either (but they're cut to accommodate a different anatomy, I suppose!).

Matt

Yeah, they're mostly intended to go over the tri suit. Some can be worn the entire race, but tend to be warmer as they don't breathe. At least not nearly as well as a tri suit. Some have taken advantage of that for colder races.

And per Nicole's follow-up, the lower cut aspect seems a bit odd. Especially if one needs more ... um ... accommodation. The lower cut would actually help it act more like a bigger scoop, which is the opposite of what should be done.  You'd know more about the room needed, but the cut being like that seems weird. A swimskin should help that, but would also consider a new suit or top as well.

I've used a Kiwami Amphibian last year, which is a back-zip one, and it does work very well. Stretches well and still holds pretty snug. It seems like a back-zip might restrict breathing some, and I thought it might just from how it felt in test fitting, but everything was just fine out in the races. There are a few other brands as well.

2014-05-27 10:20 AM

Master
Northern IL

Will you be able to recover ok with all that?

2014-05-27 10:48 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Ugh - 3 weeks in Frrance sounded great till you gave more details.

2014-05-27 12:02 PM

User image

Have a safe trip Arend.

I was able to get two solid days of riding in despite us having passing thunderstorms all weekend.  My legs are starting to feel like they are rounding into shape.  This week will be fairly hard, then a slight down week before my 40k TT, then two more big weeks...then Haleakala.  Hopefully I've timed this right.

2014-05-27 12:03 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Probably not.  I'm likely going to dig myself into a hole.  Cheese, wine and chocolate should help.  

2014-05-27 12:15 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Probably not.  I'm likely going to dig myself into a hole.  Cheese, wine and chocolate should help.  

well, at least the last 2 are good for the heart...

Have a good trip!
2014-05-27 12:40 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

The swim skin would be used in place of a wetsuit....over my tri kit.  Another option would be to go with something that's designed better for non-wetsuit swimming.  I think the ITU style suits are all basically designed for non-wetsuit races.  Some other kits have flaps over the pockets to minimize water ballooning up in them (I had two pockets on the back of my top, and one pocket on each leg of the shorts....all of which were filled with water).

As for the top I was wearing, I think most of the womens' tops are kinda "low" like that....not so much low, but they have a scoop neck or whatever it's called.  Here's a picture that shows about how the top fits: http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/soas-racing-womens-tri-top-47063/?color=40513

All I'm saying is that it doesn't zip up to my collar bones or anything....it's got a slightly lower cut, but not cleavage baring or anything!  And maybe the shape of it is what allows water to come in more easily.  I don't know....I do know that it's certainly not ideal for swimming without a wetsuit.

2014-05-27 1:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

The swim skin would be used in place of a wetsuit....over my tri kit.  Another option would be to go with something that's designed better for non-wetsuit swimming.  I think the ITU style suits are all basically designed for non-wetsuit races.  Some other kits have flaps over the pockets to minimize water ballooning up in them (I had two pockets on the back of my top, and one pocket on each leg of the shorts....all of which were filled with water).

As for the top I was wearing, I think most of the womens' tops are kinda "low" like that....not so much low, but they have a scoop neck or whatever it's called.  Here's a picture that shows about how the top fits: http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/soas-racing-womens-tri-top-47063/?color=40513

All I'm saying is that it doesn't zip up to my collar bones or anything....it's got a slightly lower cut, but not cleavage baring or anything!  And maybe the shape of it is what allows water to come in more easily.  I don't know....I do know that it's certainly not ideal for swimming without a wetsuit.

Must be male designers.

My one piece with the flaps and the back zip doesn't take water at all, and my shorts for the 2 piece gitup have no pockets.  Annoying when going for a medium brick and having no place to stash a GU (unless I geek out and also wear a tri top), but MUCH better swimming.

2014-05-27 1:26 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-05-27 1:27 PM
in reply to: Fred D

2014-05-27 1:28 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Fred D Had a very strong ride today with temps in the 90s. Also ordered some wheels from my LBS...

New toys!  Which ones did you end up going with?

2014-05-27 1:38 PM
in reply to: spudone

2014-05-27 2:00 PM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Raced an Olympic this past weekend - really stacked at the front of the race which was a good thing.

Swim: 23:30 Bike: 1:05:49  Run: 41:09

9th OA with a 2:13 which is a 2.5 minute PR and it could have been a lot better.  I had some goggle issues during the swim and then ended up getting a stitch right under my ribs during the run which slowed me to 7:00 minute miles for 2 miles.  I was flying before that and thought I was going to mow a bunch of people down so that kinda sucked.

First race with power - the plan was to be 250-260 watts and keep it under 280 on the big climb we hit twice.  I ended up at 238NP which is an IF 0.87.  I think I need to trust my fitness and push the watts a bit more on the bike.  I just felt like 240 seemed to be RPE wise where I thought I could run well.

I think this is where the PM can be incredibly useful as I get some more races under my belt.  Seeing what works and what does not to get the best result.

HIM in two weeks.

2014-05-27 2:11 PM
in reply to: rymac

2014-05-27 2:15 PM

2014-05-27 2:17 PM
in reply to: rymac

Originally posted by rymac

Raced an Olympic this past weekend - really stacked at the front of the race which was a good thing.

Swim: 23:30 Bike: 1:05:49  Run: 41:09

9th OA with a 2:13 which is a 2.5 minute PR and it could have been a lot better.  I had some goggle issues during the swim and then ended up getting a stitch right under my ribs during the run which slowed me to 7:00 minute miles for 2 miles.  I was flying before that and thought I was going to mow a bunch of people down so that kinda sucked.

First race with power - the plan was to be 250-260 watts and keep it under 280 on the big climb we hit twice.  I ended up at 238NP which is an IF 0.87.  I think I need to trust my fitness and push the watts a bit more on the bike.  I just felt like 240 seemed to be RPE wise where I thought I could run well.

I think this is where the PM can be incredibly useful as I get some more races under my belt.  Seeing what works and what does not to get the best result.

HIM in two weeks.

Nice job.  87% would actually be the high end for me on an Oly.  At least to somewhat compensate for my disproportionate run fitness.  These days, I generally race by feel and use power as metric to make sure I keep that feel somewhat constant.  I've tried hard in the past to stick to predetermined power goals for the entire bike leg of a tri, or for an entire TT, and the results have not been as good as racing by RPE.

2014-05-27 2:18 PM
in reply to: dtoce

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by dtoce No worries about the time, Arend. Progress is never a straight line and even when you have better fitness, sometimes there are race day issues (weather/illness//fatigue) that conspire to ruin any time goal. Your best is still out there, my friend, believe it. My bike is now race ready---with a new wheelbuilder cover, new battery in recently not working powertap hub, new black water bottle rack for the tube, conti's front and back (23/25), zipp 808's front and back with decals removed and tape covering up any thing that I didn't find attractive on my 2012 Cervelo P2. Gotta look different this year. If only I had an engine...

Hoo -Whee, Dale - now THAT is what a P2 ought to look like. Never understood why cervelo needs to put their name so big on the frame. I don't mind it so much on my white S2, but on my P2 the name is so big they could actually get the "e" on the frame! Are you thinking of doing a custom paint job on yours, or just playing around? The designer in me wants to see the tape job cleaned up a little, but maybe the overlaps and the mis-aligned ends actually breaks the boundary layer and gets you a few more watts....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38694 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74163 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.