BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-01-03 3:56 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm

Originally posted by Atlantia
Originally posted by jenstewey

Originally posted by jmkizer

Who here is affected by the government shutdown? Laura? Jen? TJ? Anyone else?

I know how much it sucks. I was a contractor during the 1995 shutdowns. It was horrible and, as contractors, we were never paid.

Fingers crossed that this resolve soon. TJ needs to sign up for some races!

I am a contractor also - went 3 weeks without pay back in 2013.  Luckily my customer is funded right now and so I am unaffected with the current shutdown.  Definitely fingers crossed that it's resolved soon though.

I work for a government contractor, but I'm internal corporate IT, so personally my staff and I are not impacted. I have had calls from several people whose work will stop being funded after Friday, so they'll start feeling the hurt.

Laura and Jen, I'm glad to hear that you are still getting paid!

2019-01-03 6:23 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Impressive! New baby, new business, did not abandon training in off-season!

What training plan are you using for IM 70.3 VA?

Probably the one in the Secrets of Half Iron Tri book by the Finks. I've used that on my other HIMs. I like the simplicity of it and that it has 2 off days per week and is 16 weeks total. I was considering the one in the Essential Week-by-Week book by Fitzgerald but I realized it's 20 weeks and I'd already be behind. It's also extremely complicated to decode. Also, Fitzgerald also has 3x week of swimming whereas Fink has 2.

I'm totally open to recommendations though (so long as it's 16 weeks or less)! Anyone have a HIM plan they like a lot?
2019-01-03 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
NAME: Jim Bacarella

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, Twitter, Strava all three either James Bacarella or jbacarella on instagram jabacarella, but I never post in it.

STORY: I've been involved in the sport for 12 years. Done every distance I stopped counting, except for Ironman I've done 3. It started as a midlife crisis that turned into a hobby. The plan is to keep doing it until I can't with the hope that one day I age out the good athletes and qualify for Kona, I figure somewhere around the 75-79 age group.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 25 years to Michelle. 4 kids 3 girls and a boy the oldest is an L2 at Tulane Law, #2 Senior at Michigan State pre-med. #3 Sophomore at Ferris State, still figuring things out. #4 high school senior and just accepted to Michigan State. 1 dog, Sparty. He's an 11 year old multipoo.

CURRENT TRAINING: Prepping for IM Lake Placid. Weight training, focus on the bike is heavy resistance 2-3 runs and 1 long per week. I am swimming impaired. I like on Lake Huron (it's a little cold to swim in from October til May/June and no public pool within a reasonable distance.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: The big one is IM Lake Placid. Then Sunrise triathlon (oly distance). Everything else I an going to play by ear, including a lot of day of decisions. I may do IM Louisville again depending on how the fall works out.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Stay in shape, uninjured and be ready for my race.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I've been a member of several mentor groups on BT and this is one of the best to be involved with. The Manatees are very supportive, good perspectives and motivating, who wouldn't want that.

2019-01-03 8:42 PM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
David-- a word to the wise from a (most unwillingly transplanted to Idaho--I don't even like potatoes!) former Oregonian. Don't wait to start training until it stops raining! If people in the Pacific Northwest did that, there would be no athletes of any kind, instead of the track powerhouse that is UO, all the great pro runners in Portland and pro triathletes in Bend, etc. It pretty much rains every day 6-8 months a year there, and usually not warm rain either. When I lived in Saigon (the past nine years), it rained almost every day half the year, often so hard you could not see where you were going, and I lived below sea level so our neighborhood flooded probably once every few weeks. I still managed to go from beginner/semi couch potato to two-time 70.3 Worlds qualifier. I think I only ran on the treadmill a few times during that period. (There was a LOT of trainer riding, though, due to work hours and homicidal traffic.)

Either go get wet (our college coach used to tell us, "You aren't made of sugar; you won't dissolve!") or if you really can't stand it, maybe it's time to invest in a treadmill and trainer or join a gym that has them. If you're anything like me (sounds like it), the treadmill will then drive you so batty you'll decide the rain is preferable.
2019-01-04 6:52 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella NAME: Jim Bacarella OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, Twitter, Strava all three either James Bacarella or jbacarella on instagram jabacarella, but I never post in it. STORY: I've been involved in the sport for 12 years. Done every distance I stopped counting, except for Ironman I've done 3. It started as a midlife crisis that turned into a hobby. The plan is to keep doing it until I can't with the hope that one day I age out the good athletes and qualify for Kona, I figure somewhere around the 75-79 age group. FAMILY STATUS: Married 25 years to Michelle. 4 kids 3 girls and a boy the oldest is an L2 at Tulane Law, #2 Senior at Michigan State pre-med. #3 Sophomore at Ferris State, still figuring things out. #4 high school senior and just accepted to Michigan State. 1 dog, Sparty. He's an 11 year old multipoo. CURRENT TRAINING: Prepping for IM Lake Placid. Weight training, focus on the bike is heavy resistance 2-3 runs and 1 long per week. I am swimming impaired. I like on Lake Huron (it's a little cold to swim in from October til May/June and no public pool within a reasonable distance. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: The big one is IM Lake Placid. Then Sunrise triathlon (oly distance). Everything else I an going to play by ear, including a lot of day of decisions. I may do IM Louisville again depending on how the fall works out. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Stay in shape, uninjured and be ready for my race. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I've been a member of several mentor groups on BT and this is one of the best to be involved with. The Manatees are very supportive, good perspectives and motivating, who wouldn't want that.

Jim, I think that you've been able to train around your swim facility impairment but I was wondering if you had ever thought about a a VASA swim erg? FWW, I did think about it and then I saw the price and I stopped thinking about it! Anyway, I know of a few folks who VASA regularly and don't actually get wet until pretty close to race day and they regularly podium.

Thanks for being a Manatee!

2019-01-04 7:35 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella NAME: Jim Bacarella OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, Twitter, Strava all three either James Bacarella or jbacarella on instagram jabacarella, but I never post in it. STORY: I've been involved in the sport for 12 years. Done every distance I stopped counting, except for Ironman I've done 3. It started as a midlife crisis that turned into a hobby. The plan is to keep doing it until I can't with the hope that one day I age out the good athletes and qualify for Kona, I figure somewhere around the 75-79 age group. FAMILY STATUS: Married 25 years to Michelle. 4 kids 3 girls and a boy the oldest is an L2 at Tulane Law, #2 Senior at Michigan State pre-med. #3 Sophomore at Ferris State, still figuring things out. #4 high school senior and just accepted to Michigan State. 1 dog, Sparty. He's an 11 year old multipoo. CURRENT TRAINING: Prepping for IM Lake Placid. Weight training, focus on the bike is heavy resistance 2-3 runs and 1 long per week. I am swimming impaired. I like on Lake Huron (it's a little cold to swim in from October til May/June and no public pool within a reasonable distance. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: The big one is IM Lake Placid. Then Sunrise triathlon (oly distance). Everything else I an going to play by ear, including a lot of day of decisions. I may do IM Louisville again depending on how the fall works out. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Stay in shape, uninjured and be ready for my race. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I've been a member of several mentor groups on BT and this is one of the best to be involved with. The Manatees are very supportive, good perspectives and motivating, who wouldn't want that.

Jim, I think that you've been able to train around your swim facility impairment but I was wondering if you had ever thought about a a VASA swim erg? FWW, I did think about it and then I saw the price and I stopped thinking about it! Anyway, I know of a few folks who VASA regularly and don't actually get wet until pretty close to race day and they regularly podium.

Ha! I did the same thing - thought of a VASA, immediately dismissed it! 

2019-01-04 8:37 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

David, could you please open up your BT training log to Manatees? Thanks!

2019-01-04 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

January 5-6
Stacey - Wallygrunta Trail - 13k on Friday << TODAY

Is anyone else racing?

2019-01-04 9:04 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi All, 

NAME: Jen Snyder 

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I am on Facebook, Strava (Manatees group), instagram (@juniper_jen176 - warning, it's mostly kid and food pics), and Garmin Connect as jkolstein 

STORY: Started running in 2005 and found 'my thing' - ran a few marathons. Met my husband while running, he was a triathlete and opened up a whole new world. I learned to swim as an adult and got into tri's in 2009. Have now done the range of distances from mini sprint up to ironman. I have young kids and work full-time so i am just trying to keep at it. No big or hairy goals at the moment. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 young kids.  A girl aged 5.5 and a boy aged 20 months. No fur babies anymore  

CURRENT TRAINING:  Currently training for an early season half marathon. Building some miles and doing some strength training. I swim twice a week with my tri club. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: 

Still working this out. I have the Chilly Half Marathon on March 3 and that is all that is defined. Thinking about a running progression and getting a couple tris in this summer. 

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: keep up with some cool triathlon peeps for inspiration, advice, and just some nice virtual social time

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I am positive, supportive and totally into tris and training.  

2019-01-04 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

January 5-6

Is anyone else racing?

Go Stacey!!! 

2019-01-04 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

January 5-6

Is anyone else racing?

Yay Stacey!

2019-01-04 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

January 5-6

Is anyone else racing?

I finally put Piggy's Revenge on my calendar. 40 miles riding in the woods this Sunday. I am NOT racing.

2019-01-04 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

January 5-6

Is anyone else racing?

Run like the wind Stacey!!!

2019-01-04 10:01 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Racing Manatees!!!

January 5-6

Is anyone else racing?

I finally put Piggy's Revenge on my calendar. 40 miles riding in the woods this Sunday. I am NOT racing.

Events count! I figure if you paid to do it or someone organized it, it counts! All 100k my social rides count, Ann-Marie's Buffalo Hollow almost half counts, Bike MS and Tour de Cure both count :-D

2019-01-04 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Do any of you know if you can customize the dates in reports on Garmin Connect?  For example, this one: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/report/17/running/last_year

2019-01-04 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

January 5-6

Is anyone else racing?

Yay Stacey! You're probably already done. Hope it went well.

2019-01-04 10:26 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by rrrunner

Racing Manatees!!!

January 5-6

Is anyone else racing?

Yay Stacey! You're probably already done. Hope it went well.

Go Stacey!!
2019-01-04 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Do any of you know if you can customize the dates in reports on Garmin Connect?  For example, this one: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/report/17/running/last_year

I didn't even know there were reports!

2019-01-04 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

I don't see a way but you could export the two years you're looking for - and take the months you want. Exports to excel on my computer. Not great but do-able. 

2019-01-04 12:41 PM

User image

Expert

Ha! I did the same thing - thought of a VASA, immediately dismissed it! 

It isn't worth it for the price, they cost more than my bike. I just make sure I do strength work on the effected muscle groups and know I will continue to swim like a barge. Plus if you are near the back of the swim you pass more people on the bike and feel better about yourself.
2019-01-04 12:46 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

I don't see a way but you could export the two years you're looking for - and take the months you want. Exports to excel on my computer. Not great but do-able. 

Yeah, it looks like the Today button should do something but it did not do anything for me. I tried Chrome, Firefox, and even Safari!

2019-01-04 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

Ok, try it again. I think I opened it up correctly.

If you are able to access them and they just look like empty logs of no training I'll send you the Little Orphan Annie decoder pin I got from Ralphie.
2019-01-04 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by tdl1972

Ok, try it again. I think I opened it up correctly. If you are able to access them and they just look like empty logs of no training I'll send you the Little Orphan Annie decoder pin I got from Ralphie.

We may need the decoder ring.

Have you tried this?

Go to your Profile settings

On the left sidebar, select Training Log Settings > Privacy and under Training Log Privacy, adjust the settings.

Then you have two choices that would work and preserve some level of privacy. Only registered users would let anyone who is logged into BT to see your log. Only Friends which would mean that you have to add all of the Manatees to your friends list on BT.

2019-01-04 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by tdl1972

Ok, try it again. I think I opened it up correctly. If you are able to access them and they just look like empty logs of no training I'll send you the Little Orphan Annie decoder pin I got from Ralphie.

OMG I think I love you!  

2019-01-04 1:17 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
This is true! I am a good swimmer (by triathlete standards, at least; nothing special by master's swim standards) but not so hot biker, so I spend most of my races in a state of "road rage" while all and sundry pass me on the bike, then trying to pass them back on the run. I never feel good about myself until/unless there is a podium at the end.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107