BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2013-11-22 7:11 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?)
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

November 23-24
Salty - PDX Regional Champs XC on Saturday
Kate - Spirit of Rock 1/2 marathon on Sunday
Mike  - Turkey Tumble for Autism 10K on Sunday

Disabled list:
Felicia - under the weather
Ann-Marie - hamstring
Darren - Tendinitis in both feet

November 25 is JoGo's birthday

Go Racing Manatees!

Go racing Manatees!!!

happy birthday Jo!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANATEEES!!!  YOU CAN DOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEET! 

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY JO! 

because I can't do pretty colours - what Monica said

2013-11-22 7:39 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!

November 23-24

Disabled list:
Ann-Marie - hamstring

Go Racing Manatees!

Go racing Manatees!!!

happy birthday Jo!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANATEEES!!!  YOU CAN DOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEET! 

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY JO! 

because I can't do pretty colours - what Monica said

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO gooooooooo Racing Manatees!!!!!

2013-11-22 11:19 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi guys sorry I have been absent for a few days. Jo your trip sounds amazing! I hope somehow some really good things come out of it work wise too. I have a bike question - does anyone have some good ideas for bike training plans? I ride on my trainer during the week and sometimes on the weekend especially if it is really hot which it looks like this summer will be. But I get bored and just end up riding easy and don't think that I am making many improvements. I have read a few times that riding is the opposite to running in that you should ride often mostly hard sometime easy, is that the case? I don't have a computer anywhere near my trainer and I don't really have the spare funds to get one but I do have my iPad which I can use. If I am not a very good rider (average speed at average effort is about 20kph) what would you all suggest.?

For a bit better answer to this, much of the time various intervals can help with the boredom and development. This is often a warm-up, 20-40' of work, recovery between them, and a few minutes easy spinning to cool down. I tend to go with bigger intervals than most, and with the time most tend to ride on a trainer things like 3-4 x 10', 2-3 x 15', or 2 x 20' work well. Or sometimes upping it a bit more than that for like 5 x 5' or 3 x 8'. On all of these, recovery intervals of about 20-25% of the hard part works well. so ~2' for an 8' interval and ~5' for a 20' interval. Keep riding, but at an easier effort to be ready to go again. There are all kinds of ways to mix things up, but generally I think people get the idea with more consistent intervals in a single workout to start.

I'm not sure what you have to help gauge intensity, but do know that anything you can do above "easy" will give you more return than if you had just gone easy the entire time. I'm not sure if the iPad can sync with anything without another ~$60 piece, and even then you'd need another sensor on the bike/trainer for speed, cadence or power. Just running through the list of options, I don't think you have power, so will skip it. Heartrate can be helpful as these are bigger intervals. On a trainer, speed can also be helpful. Cadence can be helpful too if you can keep track of what gear you're in. Knowing the gear size isn't entirely necessary, just "big ring, 3rd rear" is enough to be at least semi-useful. Then there is perceived effort, or RPE.

For how hard to go on these, try to maintain above your Oly tri effort level if doing 30-40' or so of harder work. Up near sprint tri level would be great if you can work that hard on subsequent workouts. For the shorter ones, try to beat the sprint tri level. For all of these, basically keep a strong effort throughout each interval and from one interval to the next. The Sufferfest website has a number of videos that work well towards this. Amazing how motivational it is to have this vs just music or a movie. And remember, while these are more "ideal" effort levels to work at, just going harder than the "easy" you would have done will help bring more improvement than if you had just gone easy.

2013-11-23 1:19 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi guys sorry I have been absent for a few days. Jo your trip sounds amazing! I hope somehow some really good things come out of it work wise too. I have a bike question - does anyone have some good ideas for bike training plans? I ride on my trainer during the week and sometimes on the weekend especially if it is really hot which it looks like this summer will be. But I get bored and just end up riding easy and don't think that I am making many improvements. I have read a few times that riding is the opposite to running in that you should ride often mostly hard sometime easy, is that the case? I don't have a computer anywhere near my trainer and I don't really have the spare funds to get one but I do have my iPad which I can use. If I am not a very good rider (average speed at average effort is about 20kph) what would you all suggest.?

For a bit better answer to this, much of the time various intervals can help with the boredom and development. This is often a warm-up, 20-40' of work, recovery between them, and a few minutes easy spinning to cool down. I tend to go with bigger intervals than most, and with the time most tend to ride on a trainer things like 3-4 x 10', 2-3 x 15', or 2 x 20' work well. Or sometimes upping it a bit more than that for like 5 x 5' or 3 x 8'. On all of these, recovery intervals of about 20-25% of the hard part works well. so ~2' for an 8' interval and ~5' for a 20' interval. Keep riding, but at an easier effort to be ready to go again. There are all kinds of ways to mix things up, but generally I think people get the idea with more consistent intervals in a single workout to start.

I'm not sure what you have to help gauge intensity, but do know that anything you can do above "easy" will give you more return than if you had just gone easy the entire time. I'm not sure if the iPad can sync with anything without another ~$60 piece, and even then you'd need another sensor on the bike/trainer for speed, cadence or power. Just running through the list of options, I don't think you have power, so will skip it. Heartrate can be helpful as these are bigger intervals. On a trainer, speed can also be helpful. Cadence can be helpful too if you can keep track of what gear you're in. Knowing the gear size isn't entirely necessary, just "big ring, 3rd rear" is enough to be at least semi-useful. Then there is perceived effort, or RPE.

For how hard to go on these, try to maintain above your Oly tri effort level if doing 30-40' or so of harder work. Up near sprint tri level would be great if you can work that hard on subsequent workouts. For the shorter ones, try to beat the sprint tri level. For all of these, basically keep a strong effort throughout each interval and from one interval to the next. The Sufferfest website has a number of videos that work well towards this. Amazing how motivational it is to have this vs just music or a movie. And remember, while these are more "ideal" effort levels to work at, just going harder than the "easy" you would have done will help bring more improvement than if you had just gone easy.

Thanks Ben.

I have a bike computer which gives me both speed and cadence, so I have a way to measure stuff.
2013-11-23 1:12 PM

Master
Northern IL

Stacey, what trainer do you have?

2013-11-23 5:19 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

Racing Manatees!

November 23-24

Disabled list:
Ann-Marie - hamstring

Go Racing Manatees!

Happy running, Racing Manatees!!!

2013-11-23 5:22 PM

Master
Northern IL

This was great. Sister just missed what fit on the screen.

(2013-11-23_1403.png)

Attachments
----------------
2013-11-23_1403.png (94KB - 5 downloads)
2013-11-23 5:36 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

A rather fun read I tripped across as I was looking for running in the wind tips.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/expert-advice-beginners-running-tips

One that I particularly liked:

Show some horse sense "During long, slow distance training, you should think of yourself as a thoroughbred disguised as a plow horse. No need to give yourself away by running fast." -Marty Liquori, running commentator and former world-class miler

2013-11-23 6:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

GREAT JOB BEN!
2013-11-23 6:28 PM

User image

Master

NICE! But is somebody being a sneaky Manatee racer?

2013-11-23 6:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

i have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. Does it make a difference?

I checked out Sufferfest last night, to be honest they kind of scare me!

Edited by StaceyK 2013-11-23 6:31 PM

2013-11-23 10:06 PM

Master
Northern IL

i have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. Does it make a difference? I checked out Sufferfest last night, to be honest they kind of scare me!

I was just curious to see if there could be any help on gauging the effort if I knew the trainer. That one curves up, when looking at power to speed. It's not a straight line across. So a little drop in speed can be a fair amount of power. Does your bike computer have a lap function? That can be helpful in keeping yourself honest in this regard.

2013-11-23 10:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

So is David your brother? Your sister is quick too so are you all really good at sport?
2013-11-23 10:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

i have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. Does it make a difference? I checked out Sufferfest last night, to be honest they kind of scare me!

I was just curious to see if there could be any help on gauging the effort if I knew the trainer. That one curves up, when looking at power to speed. It's not a straight line across. So a little drop in speed can be a fair amount of power. Does your bike computer have a lap function? That can be helpful in keeping yourself honest in this regard.

No my computer doesn't have a lap function on it, it's very basic.

So warning cause I am about to ask a dumb question. Obviously the resistance on the trainer is variable as you can wind it in and out and effort level in relation to speed will depend on where the resistance level is set. I was told to wind it in until it just touches the tyre and then turn the knob a further 2-3 times, so I do 2.5 turns does this seem right?
2013-11-24 3:37 PM

Master
Northern IL

So is David your brother? Your sister is quick too so are you all really good at sport?

Yes, that's my brother. We've all been very active in sports since we were very little. Which one(s) changes over time, but always something. Sister has been less active than the guys, but is rather conscious of being healthy.

RR

Edited by brigby1 2013-11-24 3:58 PM
2013-11-24 3:42 PM

Master
Northern IL

No my computer doesn't have a lap function on it, it's very basic. So warning cause I am about to ask a dumb question. Obviously the resistance on the trainer is variable as you can wind it in and out and effort level in relation to speed will depend on where the resistance level is set. I was told to wind it in until it just touches the tyre and then turn the knob a further 2-3 times, so I do 2.5 turns does this seem right?

Probably reasonable. There isn't a specific amount of turns for everyone. Just tight enough so that the wheel doesn't slip. I test this by giving it a fairly sharp pull and stop by grabbing the wheel directly by hand. Since you're using speed, you'll want to be more consistent with tire pressure and tension once you find where it works for your setup. Some people have been able to just leave the tension knob alone, able to slip the bike in and out without moving that. I have a powermeter, so have not tried that.

2013-11-25 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations to both you and your sister!

ETA: and your brother!  Heck, the entire family of Speed Demons!

Edited by jmkizer 2013-11-25 8:00 AM
2013-11-25 9:57 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

HUGE CONGRATS BEN!!  

And to your brother and your sister - what a speedy family!  

2013-11-25 11:03 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Congrats, Ben and siblings!  The fact that your family races with you makes me smile.   You are a speedy lot!

2013-11-25 11:08 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by melbo55

Congrats, Ben and siblings!  The fact that your family races with you makes me smile.   You are a speedy lot!

I second this!! CONGRATS!

And Happy Birthday JO!!

On to Monday......blah - well it's half over And it's a shortened week for all my American friends (I hope, unless you work at Target then you may not have any days off this week).

So what are your plans? I feed DH's family. There will be about 15 of us. The usual fare: Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, maple glazed carrots......and pie. Lots of pie.

But first I have to survive 2.5 more days at work.

In the meantime, my tri buddy emailed me his plan for US for our first IM in 2015 - LMAO - "Can I finish a half first?"

Have a great day all!
2013-11-25 11:27 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I second this!! CONGRATS! And Happy Birthday JO!! On to Monday......blah - well it's half over And it's a shortened week for all my American friends (I hope, unless you work at Target then you may not have any days off this week). So what are your plans? I feed DH's family. There will be about 15 of us. The usual fare: Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, maple glazed carrots......and pie. Lots of pie. But first I have to survive 2.5 more days at work. In the meantime, my tri buddy emailed me his plan for US for our first IM in 2015 - LMAO - "Can I finish a half first?" Have a great day all!

I absolutely LOVE Thanksgiving... and even better is that I get TWO every year as my hubby is so awesome that he makes me a Thanksgiving dinner for the Canadian Thanksgiving too.     This year will be orphans dinner at my friend Steve's place with all the usual fare - I'm not sure what we're bringing yet, but if I have anything to say about it, I'm bringing at least one pumpkin pie.   

FYI - I STILL haven't finished a half and have done 2 IMs now...  just sayin'    

2013-11-25 11:59 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I second this!! CONGRATS! And Happy Birthday JO!! On to Monday......blah - well it's half over And it's a shortened week for all my American friends (I hope, unless you work at Target then you may not have any days off this week). So what are your plans? I feed DH's family. There will be about 15 of us. The usual fare: Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, maple glazed carrots......and pie. Lots of pie. But first I have to survive 2.5 more days at work. In the meantime, my tri buddy emailed me his plan for US for our first IM in 2015 - LMAO - "Can I finish a half first?" Have a great day all!

Yes, Congrats to the speedy Ben's family peeps!

This is a week of good and bad for me.  Today is a bit crappy b/c of some work stuff that I don't want to do, but kind of have to cuz it's my job . Tuesday gets better since I get my always welcomed massage, but then Wednesday starts out sucky with a morning of medical tests. But then, it is off to south Florida for t-giving!  I love t-giving.  T-giving morning will be spent running on the beach   T-giving afternoon will be spent eating way more calories than I burnt on the run!  I'm sure we'll have the usual turkey day stuff, which means my vegetarian eating will be put on hold

2013-11-25 12:45 PM

User image

Seattle

This is the opposite of Ben's pack leading experience (Nice Job Ben + Family)

Race Report

If you dare to view the carnage. But it WAS cool getting line up in the starting box and  "race" with Kara Goucher!!!

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-11-25 12:46 PM
2013-11-25 1:26 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

This is the opposite of Ben's pack leading experience (Nice Job Ben + Family)

Race Report

If you dare to view the carnage. But it WAS cool getting line up in the starting box and  "race" with Kara Goucher!!!

On that opposite thought, didn't have to say my name at bib pick-up, or anywhere else for that matter.

2013-11-25 1:51 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Grrrrrr!!!   I went to the gym at lunch to try and get a swim done, only to find one of those signs saying "pool closed, sorry for the inconvenience"... and NO date as to when it might be open again.  I finally tracked someone down in maintenance and it turns out that they don't even have a date yet for when the pool might be re-opened.  There is another branch of my gym with a pool sort of close by, but not close enough to walk to over lunch and get a swim workout done.  Pout. 

I guess this means I have to do extra on the drainer tonight. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED POSTS

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.