BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-08-05 6:18 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by Fred D Thanks Neil! Actually I think my reward has already been given to me... That I'm truly enjoying IM again, first time since 2010. I don't have any expectations beyond 'do my best', and no I would not accept a Kona slot in the highly unlikely chance it rolled to me. The fun for *me* in this is enjoying the destination (mont tremblant) and the journey to it (training). Also, been pretty awesome to finally find the coach that works for me. Race time, splits, placing are not in my control, effort is :-)

That's a great way of looking at it Fred and it's really what it's all about.  Enjoy the journey, enjoy the race and see what happens.  I think you are going to have a great day.

2014-08-05 7:14 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Fred D Thanks Neil! Actually I think my reward has already been given to me... That I'm truly enjoying IM again, first time since 2010. I don't have any expectations beyond 'do my best', and no I would not accept a Kona slot in the highly unlikely chance it rolled to me. The fun for *me* in this is enjoying the destination (mont tremblant) and the journey to it (training). Also, been pretty awesome to finally find the coach that works for me. Race time, splits, placing are not in my control, effort is :-)

That's a great way of looking at it Fred and it's really what it's all about.  Enjoy the journey, enjoy the race and see what happens.  I think you are going to have a great day.

I've had a lot of success with a similar view. Writing up about a race this past weekend and it might be one of my favorite. Non-standard distance based out of a 1-road town way out on a peninsula. Riding and running through the woods and along the shores of Lake Superior. It was all about being out in a great area and putting in a good effort. 3 days later and I'm still riding high from the trip. Made a couple FB postings on it and forgot to mention placing in both of them.

I can stay at my place easily for both Milwaukee and Chicago races, but am not doing Nats and not interested in Worlds as neither venue will have what I look for.

2014-08-06 12:30 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Champion
First run with sub 6min/k splits in I don't know how long this am. Not exactly a "major" breakthrough so to speak but nice to have some objective evidence numbers wise that things are getting better. Went to hot yoga yesterday for the first time and felt like a$$ after but maybe it was what I needed? Lol.
2014-08-06 7:21 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Fred D Thanks. I will get a side view filmed at some point. The effort was fast but not crazy. 1:20 pace (yards). Appreciate the feedback. I know my left arm has a tendency to drop (elbow) and that I feel like I don't rotate much. Good thoughts!
Hey Fred - I don't have anything to add that others haven't already said, but just wanted to say thanks for posting it. I think I have made all of the big gains I can make above water, and really want to work on the underwater stuff this fall and winter - I know it is a mess for me. I agree with James' earlier comment about finding someone who can give you realtime feedback at regular intervals if at all possible. When it comes to swimming I think the disparity between what we THINK we are doing and what we are REALLY doing can be huge - having someone on the deck occasionally watching can really speed up the process of getting things right.

2014-08-06 7:26 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Fred D Race time, splits, placing are not in my control, effort is :-)

BOOM!

2014-08-06 7:27 AM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by mndymond First run with sub 6min/k splits in I don't know how long this am. Not exactly a "major" breakthrough so to speak but nice to have some objective evidence numbers wise that things are getting better. Went to hot yoga yesterday for the first time and felt like a$$ after but maybe it was what I needed? Lol.

Melissa - great to hear you are getting your feet back underneath you!

2014-08-06 7:38 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by dtoce

So, in case anyone was wondering.  Doing I-Pace 1000s about 18 hours after a hard TT is not fun.

I can imagine. Last night I told myself that I didn't have to do any more track training this year if I would just push a bit harder on this run section...and I am true to my word. PR at the sprint distance. http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... with Photos-just not as perfect as Rusty's...

Note to self: If I ever direct a race remember to use giant yellow rubber ducks as turn buoys - that is absolutely fantastic! FWIW I think the photos are awesome - you are obviously having a great time, and that sprint finish looks like it might have hurt a little. Please tell us you put the old-man smack down on that kid????

Seriously, congrats on the 3 minute PR at the race - that is huge.

2014-08-06 7:48 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by Jason N

So as you may or may not have seen on the news, Hawaii has two hurricanes heading straight for us.  Both expect to be tropical storms if and/or when they get here, but still enough to bring 50-65 mph winds and heavy rain.  My trip to the Big Island to ride up Mauna Loa is Saturday, and if the projections are correct, it would be the only time that *might* be possible to have the race.  The first storm should roll through the Big Island sometime Thursday, and the second storm wouldn't get there till around Sunday night.

Of course we're all hoping that the storm just rolls north or south and misses the islands as much as possible, but we'll see.

Yikes!

Would it give you a tailwind?

I'm not sure what would be worse at this point.  Lots of wind, or lots of rain making it really cold near the top.  Of course, there is always the probability of both.  I suppose I was worried a bit that with the 8am start, it would be really hot...I think that option may have been the best scenario, and also the least likely at this point.  LOL.

...really cold...you crack me up.  

Better make sure you don't say anything when we complain about the cold this winter!!

I've been to the top of Haleakala at sunrise and Mauna Loa is even higher, it can be really cold up there!

2014-08-06 9:10 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by dtoce

So, in case anyone was wondering.  Doing I-Pace 1000s about 18 hours after a hard TT is not fun.

I can imagine. Last night I told myself that I didn't have to do any more track training this year if I would just push a bit harder on this run section...and I am true to my word. PR at the sprint distance. http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... with Photos-just not as perfect as Rusty's...

Note to self: If I ever direct a race remember to use giant yellow rubber ducks as turn buoys - that is absolutely fantastic! FWIW I think the photos are awesome - you are obviously having a great time, and that sprint finish looks like it might have hurt a little. Please tell us you put the old-man smack down on that kid????

Seriously, congrats on the 3 minute PR at the race - that is huge.

thanks, Rusty...sad to say the whipper snapper who was all of 12 outkicked me to beat me by 0.2seconds
I heard him coming about 1/4 mile away and picked it up to sprint pace then it was all out for about 20 seconds but he won
my 19yo did not fare as well, as I beat hiim by 15+ minutes

the yellow ducks are pretty cool

Stay safe Jason!
2014-08-06 2:20 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Elite
Ontario

Anyone using the free RoadID App on their iPhone?  I just installed it and took it for a run today, and it's pretty cool...and FREE.  It lets you send up to 5 people an email or text with a link, then uses the phones GPS to send eCrumbs and whoever has the link can check your location any time they want.  If you stop moving for more than 5 minutes, and don't turn off the alert, the app will send a notification to anyone you set up that you've stopped moving.  You set the duration of the activity at the beginning of your activity and when time expires, it stops tracking you - also gives you an option to extend if needed.  It also adds a new lock screen on the phone with some pertinent details, if you choose to use it.

Anyway, maybe we've even spoken about this before and I forgot, but it will be very useful for those long rides where my wife has no idea where I am.

2014-08-06 2:51 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Anyone using the free RoadID App on their iPhone?  I just installed it and took it for a run today, and it's pretty cool...and FREE.  It lets you send up to 5 people an email or text with a link, then uses the phones GPS to send eCrumbs and whoever has the link can check your location any time they want.  If you stop moving for more than 5 minutes, and don't turn off the alert, the app will send a notification to anyone you set up that you've stopped moving.  You set the duration of the activity at the beginning of your activity and when time expires, it stops tracking you - also gives you an option to extend if needed.  It also adds a new lock screen on the phone with some pertinent details, if you choose to use it.

Anyway, maybe we've even spoken about this before and I forgot, but it will be very useful for those long rides where my wife has no idea where I am.

Great idea.   Now if I could just convince my wife to get rid of her flip phone and start using a smart phone.....

2014-08-06 3:45 PM

User image

So as you may or may not have seen on the news, Hawaii has two hurricanes heading straight for us.  Both expect to be tropical storms if and/or when they get here, but still enough to bring 50-65 mph winds and heavy rain.  My trip to the Big Island to ride up Mauna Loa is Saturday, and if the projections are correct, it would be the only time that *might* be possible to have the race.  The first storm should roll through the Big Island sometime Thursday, and the second storm wouldn't get there till around Sunday night.

Of course we're all hoping that the storm just rolls north or south and misses the islands as much as possible, but we'll see.

Yikes!

Would it give you a tailwind?

I'm not sure what would be worse at this point.  Lots of wind, or lots of rain making it really cold near the top.  Of course, there is always the probability of both.  I suppose I was worried a bit that with the 8am start, it would be really hot...I think that option may have been the best scenario, and also the least likely at this point.  LOL.

...really cold...you crack me up.  

Better make sure you don't say anything when we complain about the cold this winter!!

LOL...I will gladly take whatever mockery you can dish out if I suffer in the "cold" for one day.  I always look forward to making "cold" jokes during your winters.  

2014-08-06 3:50 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
, California

Originally posted by ChrisM

Great idea.   Now if I could just convince my wife to get rid of her flip phone and start using a smart phone.....

Looks a lot like Glympse.  It's pretty cool, only drawback is it caps out at 4 hours before you have to reset it.  I'll have to try the RoadID app and compare them.

2014-08-06 7:38 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-08-07 7:53 AM

Elite
Ontario

Up at 4am this morning for 90min on the trainer followed by a 25min run.  I wasn't built for mornings...

On a bright note, the legs felt surprisingly good for the run considering I had a tempo ride on the trainer last night, followed by a few harder intervals on the trainer this morning.

2014-08-07 8:55 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Steelhead 70.3 this weekend for me.  Weather is looking really good at the moment.

I am pretty pumped for it - in really good shape and targeting sub 4:35.

32 Swim

2:24 bike

1:32 run

This course on paper is much easier than Grand Rapids where I went 4:42 in early June.  Best Bike Split actually has me faster than that using Grand Rapids data.  Really wanting to throw down a solid run this time around.

2014-08-07 9:28 AM
in reply to: rymac

Elite
PEI, Canada

Neil, good to see the training is going well!  Stick with the mornings, they become routine..... eventually.  

Ryan, those are some rocking splits, good luck with the race!  What is the weather looking like?

I'm a bit worried about my race on Sunday.  The forecast for all day Saturday and Sunday morning is for some fairly strong winds from the north and with the race on the north shore, the surf could really be churned up and might result in a cancelled swim.  Obviously that would be bad for me!  

2014-08-07 9:42 AM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by rymac

Steelhead 70.3 this weekend for me.  Weather is looking really good at the moment.

I am pretty pumped for it - in really good shape and targeting sub 4:35.

32 Swim

2:24 bike

1:32 run

This course on paper is much easier than Grand Rapids where I went 4:42 in early June.  Best Bike Split actually has me faster than that using Grand Rapids data.  Really wanting to throw down a solid run this time around.

Looking forward to the race report Ryan - hope all goes as planned.

Did you pay for the Bike Split membership, or pull this data when it was first launched?

2014-08-07 9:46 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

re: Best Bike Split, you can still use it for most things without a paid membership.  There doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of courses you can have but you can only have one bike and one race.  However, you can go manipulate the bike data all you like and you can also switch the course that is tied to the race.  It's a bit more work but still quite useful.

2014-08-07 9:56 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Neil, good to see the training is going well!  Stick with the mornings, they become routine..... eventually.  

Ryan, those are some rocking splits, good luck with the race!  What is the weather looking like?

I'm a bit worried about my race on Sunday.  The forecast for all day Saturday and Sunday morning is for some fairly strong winds from the north and with the race on the north shore, the surf could really be churned up and might result in a cancelled swim.  Obviously that would be bad for me!  

Partly sunny, high of 80 and light winds.  Lake Michigan swim so trying not to let cancelled swim enter my mind since that just happened at Grand Haven about 3 weeks ago.

4 of my 5 races this year have swims in the Great Lakes.

BBS - I did what Arend mentioned.  They have me at just under 2:23 with data from Grand Rapids.  I am in a later wave so not sure how much impact that is going to have.

Good luck Arend.  I imagine rough water would be a benefit for you...assuming the swim happens.

2014-08-07 10:04 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by rymac

BBS - I did what Arend mentioned.  They have me at just under 2:23 with data from Grand Rapids.  I am in a later wave so not sure how much impact that is going to have.

Good luck Arend.  I imagine rough water would be a benefit for you...assuming the swim happens.

For both of my HIMs last year I was in a late wave.  I was worried it would cause me grief with traffic but in the end I think it ended up helping.  Lots of slingshotting and I was never really interfered with.  

Rough water - bring it on!

2014-08-07 1:10 PM

2014-08-07 1:11 PM

2014-08-07 1:24 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D

re: Best Bike Split, you can still use it for most things without a paid membership.  There doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of courses you can have but you can only have one bike and one race.  However, you can go manipulate the bike data all you like and you can also switch the course that is tied to the race.  It's a bit more work but still quite useful.

I have been playing with BBS for IMMT. How realistic do you think it is?

I plugged my numbers in and I'm skeptical...

The Mont Tremblant course is the only one that seems to be off for me.  For both the full and half IM, it estimated my time to be several minutes faster than I actually was.  Something like 2:34 predicted vs 2:37 actual.  For the full it was something like 5-6 minutes.  For Miami and a couple of others I have done, it was scary close.

2014-08-07 3:08 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38729 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74211 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.