BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-03-02 1:52 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by JBacarellaI had a little bike debacle today, but also discovered a bike hack. I found a flat on my back tire. I pulled out my electric pump and it must have died in one of the floods. I decided to just blow it up with a CO2 cartridge. I blew it up, took the adapted off of the presta valve and it unscrewed with the adopter. I also found that the extra valves were also lost in one of the floods. I decided to reuse the old one, but it wouldn't stay screwed in. I normally have Loctite, but I may have lost that in a flood too. I remembered that loctite has sugar in it. I had a used GU in the trash from the night before. I used the residue from the GU as a thread sealer. It Worked!
Good thinking! And explains why Gu kills my stomach

Speaking of killing stomachs...

I'm sure that many of you have noticed that there is yet another change to the on course nutrition at Ironman events. Nope, not BASE bars at Chattanooga this year. We will be getting Quantum Energy Squares instead.  I received an offer to get their sample back of three bars for $1 so I went ahead and ordered them despite the fact that I have no plans to use them. Then again, one never plans to drop their nutrition (it happens) so I did want to know if it would work for me as a backup plan. 

The samples arrived last week so I got one out for my longer ride this weekend. 45 or so minute into the ride, I decided to try it. Crumbly, nutty to the point of a choking hazard when trying to breath while working out. Taste was ok. Sat like a rock in my stomach. 

I only looked at the nutrition after the fact. #1 ingredient is peanuts. 10 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber << not good for mid race.

How do I know that they are the official bars for the race? Did Ironman tell me or is it on the Chattanooga 70.3 website anywhere? Nope. Quantum emailed me and has the Ironman US Series -- 2020 Official Energy Bar logo on their website.

Hopefully everyone is aware of the change, and reads the labels before trying. Peanuts are a pretty serious allergy these days. I know because my son carries an epi-pen for it. Hopefully there are no hiccups/emergencies as a result of any allergic racers being unaware of the change.
Next North America race is O-Side so I looked at their nutrition. They have Quantum listed at their bars.

Just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean that it won't work for others.

2020-03-02 1:59 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarellaI had a little bike debacle today, but also discovered a bike hack. I found a flat on my back tire. I pulled out my electric pump and it must have died in one of the floods. I decided to just blow it up with a CO2 cartridge. I blew it up, took the adapted off of the presta valve and it unscrewed with the adopter. I also found that the extra valves were also lost in one of the floods. I decided to reuse the old one, but it wouldn't stay screwed in. I normally have Loctite, but I may have lost that in a flood too. I remembered that loctite has sugar in it. I had a used GU in the trash from the night before. I used the residue from the GU as a thread sealer. It Worked!
Good thinking! And explains why Gu kills my stomach

Speaking of killing stomachs...

I'm sure that many of you have noticed that there is yet another change to the on course nutrition at Ironman events. Nope, not BASE bars at Chattanooga this year. We will be getting Quantum Energy Squares instead.  I received an offer to get their sample back of three bars for $1 so I went ahead and ordered them despite the fact that I have no plans to use them. Then again, one never plans to drop their nutrition (it happens) so I did want to know if it would work for me as a backup plan. 

The samples arrived last week so I got one out for my longer ride this weekend. 45 or so minute into the ride, I decided to try it. Crumbly, nutty to the point of a choking hazard when trying to breath while working out. Taste was ok. Sat like a rock in my stomach. 

I only looked at the nutrition after the fact. #1 ingredient is peanuts. 10 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber << not good for mid race.

How do I know that they are the official bars for the race? Did Ironman tell me or is it on the Chattanooga 70.3 website anywhere? Nope. Quantum emailed me and has the Ironman US Series -- 2020 Official Energy Bar logo on their website.

Hopefully everyone is aware of the change, and reads the labels before trying. Peanuts are a pretty serious allergy these days. I know because my son carries an epi-pen for it. Hopefully there are no hiccups/emergencies as a result of any allergic racers being unaware of the change.

I was actually wondering if more people have peanut allergies or gluten intollerence?  Anyway, should something bad happen to my nutrition, I'll search for on course options other than these Quantum bars.

I imagine more people have gluten intolerance, or at least a lot of people are getting away from gluten for what they perceive as an intolerance. But, for a lot of folks, the peanut allergy isn't really an intolerance. Rather, it creates anaphylaxis response and requires ER visit. I'd much rather have a stomach ache than that.

It doesn't seem like it should be an either/or choice.

2020-03-02 3:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Manatee Challenge Mar/Apr 2020

I have just completed updating NEW sheets for the Mar/Apr edition of the Manatee Challenge.  Be aware that there are NINE weeks in the two months of March and April.

1. Weight Loss sheet - I only added the necessary rows.  I did not delete or modify anyone's data.
  2. Keep On Moving sheet - I added the necessary rows and deleted existing data.
  3. Good Eats sheet - I added the necessary rows and deleted existing data.
  4. Strength/Core/Yoga sheet - I added the necessary columns, but did not alter anybody's existing data.
  5. Distance Traveled sheet - I didn't do anything to this one because I noticed some people had already input new dates and data.  (ETA:  I did not add the extra weeks to this sheet because some people had mentioned that they "only signed on for six weeks" with the previous challenge, and those folks already had dat in this sheet for Mar/Apr.)

Edited by leatherneckpa 2020-03-02 3:23 PM
2020-03-03 6:51 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm following the Covid19 and triathlon thread on Slowtwitch. It's pretty interesting. Ironman Taiwan 2020 was cancelled, the Paris half marathon was cancelled (cancellation announced 2/29, race was to be 3/1).  Tokyo marathon was pro only. 

How does that curse go?  May you live in interesting times.

2020-03-03 7:51 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I'm following the Covid19 and triathlon thread on Slowtwitch. It's pretty interesting. Ironman Taiwan 2020 was cancelled, the Paris half marathon was cancelled (cancellation announced 2/29, race was to be 3/1).  Tokyo marathon was pro only. 

Sigh..double sigh.We are figuring out how to deal with it for our tourist town and cabin rental. No worries on the cabins. Sanitation is easy with clorox, alcohol, hot water and soap. Lack of tourists is gonna suck. Two of our local races are talking of cancelling. A swim in June. FFS! A swim!!!! Our lake is pretty pristine. Dunno what these people are thinking And really, it isn't people on people transmission, they are discussing that people will get the virus from SWIMMING
2020-03-03 7:54 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member
FYI. How did the challenge go for everyone? I could do another challenge. Rather I could actually do a new one and not bail.

2020-03-03 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

Sigh..double sigh.We are figuring out how to deal with it for our tourist town and cabin rental. No worries on the cabins. Sanitation is easy with clorox, alcohol, hot water and soap. Lack of tourists is gonna suck. Two of our local races are talking of cancelling. A swim in June. FFS! A swim!!!! Our lake is pretty pristine. Dunno what these people are thinking And really, it isn't people on people transmission, they are discussing that people will get the virus from SWIMMING

Sorry about the prospect of no tourists, that stinks! I wish people would do what they should be doing anyway -wash your hands with soap and water!! Stay home when you are sick, cough into your elbow not your hand. When i have to be a work while still maybe contagious i always walk around with a clorox wipe in my hand to keep from infecting others. I wish my co-workers were that thoughtful rather than doing their best to spread the love! 

I have a 10k this weekend and a HM first weekend in April in NC, sure hope they don't get canceled! 

2020-03-03 9:07 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Sorry about the prospect of no tourists, that stinks! I wish people would do what they should be doing anyway -wash your hands with soap and water!! Stay home when you are sick, cough into your elbow not your hand. When i have to be a work while still maybe contagious i always walk around with a clorox wipe in my hand to keep from infecting others. I wish my co-workers were that thoughtful rather than doing their best to spread the love! 

I have a 10k this weekend and a HM first weekend in April in NC, sure hope they don't get canceled! 

I heard on NPR (well, the Up First podcast), that some schools are their schedules to "make time for hand washing." What were they doing before? Do I even want to know?

2020-03-03 9:09 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Sorry to hear this, Robin, hoping the impact won't be as bad as feared.

SMH.  The levels of paranoia and lack of common sense seem to be rising together.  Someone (I think it was a former manatee) posted a picture on FB of Target completely empty of toilet paper with the Coronavirus scare.  TOILET PAPER.

Edited to add:  I hope Chatt 70.3 won't be impacted or cancelled.

Edited by melbo55 2020-03-03 9:10 AM
2020-03-03 9:16 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

SMH.  The levels of paranoia and lack of common sense seem to be rising together.  Someone (I think it was a former manatee) posted a picture on FB of Target completely empty of toilet paper with the Coronavirus scare.  TOILET PAPER.

I heard that we (athletes with spring/summer events) should watch what Boston does. Right now, BAA is saying that they have no current plans to cancel the race in April so keep on training!

One point to consider is that these events take a lot of medical resources so a cancellation would not necessarily be to protect athletes, it could be because the community needs to use resources differently.

2020-03-03 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I heard that we (athletes with spring/summer events) should watch what Boston does. Right now, BAA is saying that they have no current plans to cancel the race in April so keep on training!

One point to consider is that these events take a lot of medical resources so a cancellation would not necessarily be to protect athletes, it could be because the community needs to use resources differently.

I read the Boston Marathon as a barometer thing too - fingers crossed!

2020-03-03 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

If all else fails, we'll all be riding gravel bikes. Alone.

2020-03-03 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by ceilidh I could do another challenge. Rather I could actually do a new one and not bail.

Manatee Challenge Mar/Apr 2020

2020-03-03 9:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Bike - 50m - 12.35 miles - 14.82 Mi/hr
Good ride. Sunday Afternoon has a good number of hills interspersed throughout the 7mi course. Most of them are relatively short and none of them goes over 20% incline. Continued after first lap, so not as tough as Oh Mama. Had 6m on the pacer by the end of my 50m ride. ARPM =75. AHR = 121, MHR = 135.   62% in Z3, 31% in Z4.
  • Weight: 362.

Noticed something at the end of the workout today.  This workout shows 414 calories burned.  My usual after-workout DD XL coffee w/cream and caramel swirl is 420 calories.  I have literally been drinking away my workout points!  Needless to say, I skipped the coffee today.  That will now be relegated to a once-a-week treat/reward for toughing out an especially tough workout, something like completing two full laps of Oh Mama.

2020-03-03 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Bike - 50m - 12.35 miles - 14.82 Mi/hr
Good ride. Sunday Afternoon has a good number of hills interspersed throughout the 7mi course. Most of them are relatively short and none of them goes over 20% incline. Continued after first lap, so not as tough as Oh Mama. Had 6m on the pacer by the end of my 50m ride. ARPM =75. AHR = 121, MHR = 135.   62% in Z3, 31% in Z4.
  • Weight: 362.

Noticed something at the end of the workout today.  This workout shows 414 calories burned.  My usual after-workout DD XL coffee w/cream and caramel swirl is 420 calories.  I have literally been drinking away my workout points!  Needless to say, I skipped the coffee today.  That will now be relegated to a once-a-week treat/reward for toughing out an especially tough workout, something like completing two full laps of Oh Mama.

Nicely done! Yes, it is very easy to drink away your calories if you put anything but fake sweetener in it and if you do use fake sweetener that has its own problems! I usually drink black coffee with a splenda , but will treat myself from time to time to a cafe con leche. So good! I ask for 1/2 the sugar usually used bc if you ever watch it being prepared and see the amount that normally goes in you would go into a sugar coma!

2020-03-03 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
I was Googling "running at over 300  lbs", looking for techniques and advice for fat runners, and this cardiologist's Ted Talk came up.  Don't know if you are familiar with Ted Talks.  I find most of them fascinating.  This one, "Run for your life" touched on some ideas that I have wondered about as I have started back on the triathlon trail.
  • I KNOW that I was taking years off my life expectancy at 300+.  I wonder if my late start at fitness can add some of those years back on?
  • I KNOW that my weight is a major contributing factor to both my T2D and CVD.  I wonder if my late start at fitness can reduce/eliminate my T2D?  I know it can improve my CVD.
  • I KNOW that I need to rein in the 21 yr old Marine in my head.  I cannot go gung-ho in every workout.  I know that theoretically my body will give me sufficient warning of over-doing it before it decides to quit.  But I wonder how much is too much.  I would hate to put in all this work and then end up like Jim Fixx.  (look it up if you have to)
  • I see these people (including some of you!) doing amazing races; half-marathons, marathons, half-Ironman, full Ironman, and those crazy 100+ mile races.  In the back of my mind I wonder if I could actually ever reach full IM distances.  But the truth of the matter is that I probably do not want to badly enough.  I probably won't ever go beyond Olympic distance, definitely not past IM/2.
  • So what is the "optimal" fitness training level?  Based on what this guy said, I'd say that I have just about gone as far/hard as I want to.  I really believe that as my weight goes down, I will be able to train effectively for an Olympic distance event without getting any crazier than I already am.
Many, many years ago I had this crazy idea; what if everybody's heart received the same "heartbeat budget" and people who died earlier simply used up their heartbeats at a faster rate.  Today, I know this is a foolish idea, but my big concern is wearing my body out prematurely (mostly heart and  knees) working too hard or too heavy.

What do you think?  Especially if you watch the Ted Talk.

2020-03-03 11:36 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by glfprncs The coldest day of the year? Of course it's 10k morning. I know 25 degrees is warm for many of you, but I live in SC and don't own the layers I had while living in Ohio & Utah. Seriously, though, once I'm 5 min in, I really enjoy cold weather runs. My goal was under 59 min. Well, in typical Augusta, GA fashion, the course didn't measure 10k. In fact, we were 1/2 mile short. The last 10k I did was almost 1/2 mile long. I met the goal (actually pleased with my 9:17 pace considering 2 years ago I was struggling to get near a 10 min/mile.) & would've easily hit the real goal had it been an actual 10k vs 9.2k. I think what I'm most proud of is my ability to be able to "suffer" a bit when the effort started to get hard without backing off the pace. Now that I've written it, what an odd proud moment that seems to the non-runner/non-triathlete. LOL.

I am slowing working back through all the posts the I have missed.  I learned something new when I paced the Dallas Hot Chocolate 15K last month.  The pacing 101 guides that I was required to study indicated that GPS devices were usually off due to interference from trees, builds, etc. and that to be accurate in pacing you needed to get you split from the miles markers on the course and not from your GPS and that you should run about 3 seconds a mile ahead of your GPM on each mile to stay on track then adjust at the mile markers.  Sure enough, my GPM knocked off the first mile about 50 feet before I go to the mile marker.  As the race progressed the difference between the mile markers on the course and my GPM got wider and wider.  I wasn't sure if the course markers were exact of just "close enough"  so I wanted to wait for the next marker to see if they got back on track or not so I kept getting farther and farther behind for the race.  At the finish line my average pace was about 2 seconds faster than I was supposed to be but I have gone 0.2 miles long.  When I looked up the race results it had me listed as being 3 seconds behind my target pace and the 5K and 10K splits showed me being behind too.   The more experienced pacers were right on the money with their splits and total race paces and the other rookies like me showed to be equally spread out from their goal times.  So... if you have a USATF certified course then you probably always going to come in 0.1 long for every 5K that you run.  0.8 off on a 10K tells me that they didn't do any type of certified measurements of the course. Still, I am going to be a lot more forgiving of the measurements on courses from now on. How it is measured does make a difference in accuracy and what my GPS watch says is not as accurate as I once thought it was. 

On a side note, I only ran the correct course in one out of my four triathlons last year.  We missed turns on the run course in two of my races (they really need to have volunteers at those turn-a-rounds directing people) and  I missed a turn on the bike course in one race.  So....being navigationally challenged I know how frustrating it can be when you are trying to hit goal times and the course isn't what it needs to be for the goal.  

Originally posted by glfprncs John The course actually wasn't mismarked. There was a 1/4 out and back in mile 2; however, there was miscommunication between the RD and the individuals manning the beginning of the out & back (there was also a turn after the out & back). Many runners questioned them about the out & back and they said, "No. You just turn here." The worst part is that as a fast 10k, many were planning to use it as a Peachtree Road Race qualifier, but because it was only 9.2k, they can no longer use it. There was also a train that stopped a bunch of 1:45-1:50 half marathon runners & took 8 minutes to navigate through the crossing. The RD pulls permits and the train engineers are aware. They're supposed to hold outside of town until a set time, but this one must've missed the memo.

I love this...not that things went wrong, but that I am not the only one that struggles and that at the end of the day you just know that you did your best and enjoyed the experience.  I was miss directed at the Air Force Half Marathons in 2013 (year?) and we had one of the lead group of women (that I was pacing off of) turned onto the marathon course.  We ended up with 16.8 miles.  I haven't been held up by a train, but the Always a Cowboy 5K in Laramie, Wy in 2004 (year?) had a herd of Wild Mustangs cross in front of me.  Ya...I lost 20-25 seconds waiting for the herd to pass.  I am sure that there weren't any permits pull so it was not the mustangs' fault for not reading a memo.  They were in their right to be running that route on the race morning.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-03-03 11:47 AM
2020-03-03 11:48 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by glfprncs The coldest day of the year? Of course it's 10k morning. I know 25 degrees is warm for many of you, but I live in SC and don't own the layers I had while living in Ohio & Utah. Seriously, though, once I'm 5 min in, I really enjoy cold weather runs. My goal was under 59 min. Well, in typical Augusta, GA fashion, the course didn't measure 10k. In fact, we were 1/2 mile short. The last 10k I did was almost 1/2 mile long. I met the goal (actually pleased with my 9:17 pace considering 2 years ago I was struggling to get near a 10 min/mile.) & would've easily hit the real goal had it been an actual 10k vs 9.2k. I think what I'm most proud of is my ability to be able to "suffer" a bit when the effort started to get hard without backing off the pace. Now that I've written it, what an odd proud moment that seems to the non-runner/non-triathlete. LOL.

I am slowing working back through all the posts the I have missed.  I learned something new when I paced the Dallas Hot Chocolate 15K last month.  The pacing 101 guides that I was required to study indicated that GPS devices were usually off due to interference from trees, builds, etc. and that to be accurate in pacing you needed to get you split from the miles markers on the course and not from your GPS and that you should run about 3 seconds a mile ahead of your GPM on each mile to stay on track then adjust at the mile markers.  Sure enough, my GPM knocked off the first mile about 50 feet before I go to the mile marker.  As the race progressed the difference between the mile markers on the course and my GPM got wider and wider.  I wasn't sure if the course markers were exact of just "close enough"  so I wanted to wait for the next marker to see if they got back on track or not so I kept getting farther and farther behind for the race.  At the finish line my average pace was about 2 seconds faster than I was supposed to be but I have gone 0.2 miles long.  When I looked up the race results it had me listed as being 3 seconds behind my target pace and the 5K and 10K splits showed me being behind too.   The more experienced pacers were right on the money with their splits and total race paces and the other rookies like me showed to be equally spread out from their goal times.  So... if you have a USATF certified course then you probably always going to come in 0.1 long for every 5K that you run.  0.8 off on a 10K tells me that they didn't do any type of certified measurements of the course. Still, I am going to be a lot more forgiving of the measurements on courses from now on. How it is measured does make a difference in accuracy and what my GPS watch says is not as accurate as I once thought it was. 

On a side note, I only ran the correct course in one out of my four triathlons last year.  We missed turns on the run course in two of my races (they really need to have volunteers at those turn-a-rounds directing people) and  I missed a turn on the bike course in one race.  So....being navigationally challenged I know how frustrating it can be when you are trying to hit goal times and the course isn't what it needs to be for the goal.  

Interesting. I know that when they set up a certified course they use the most direct route from start to finish, so if you are not running the tangents correctly and or are weaving around people you will run longer than the course.  This is one of the reasons some people get frustrated when slower runners seed themselves faster than they should - they make people run around them and add distance (plus it can be dangerous.

2020-03-03 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

I was Googling "running at over 300  lbs", looking for techniques and advice for fat runners, and this cardiologist's Ted Talk came up.  Don't know if you are familiar with Ted Talks.  I find most of them fascinating.  This one, "Run for your life" touched on some ideas that I have wondered about as I have started back on the triathlon trail.
  • I KNOW that I was taking years off my life expectancy at 300+.  I wonder if my late start at fitness can add some of those years back on?
  • I KNOW that my weight is a major contributing factor to both my T2D and CVD.  I wonder if my late start at fitness can reduce/eliminate my T2D?  I know it can improve my CVD.
  • I KNOW that I need to rein in the 21 yr old Marine in my head.  I cannot go gung-ho in every workout.  I know that theoretically my body will give me sufficient warning of over-doing it before it decides to quit.  But I wonder how much is too much.  I would hate to put in all this work and then end up like Jim Fixx.  (look it up if you have to)
  • I see these people (including some of you!) doing amazing races; half-marathons, marathons, half-Ironman, full Ironman, and those crazy 100+ mile races.  In the back of my mind I wonder if I could actually ever reach full IM distances.  But the truth of the matter is that I probably do not want to badly enough.  I probably won't ever go beyond Olympic distance, definitely not past IM/2.
  • So what is the "optimal" fitness training level?  Based on what this guy said, I'd say that I have just about gone as far/hard as I want to.  I really believe that as my weight goes down, I will be able to train effectively for an Olympic distance event without getting any crazier than I already am.
Many, many years ago I had this crazy idea; what if everybody's heart received the same "heartbeat budget" and people who died earlier simply used up their heartbeats at a faster rate.  Today, I know this is a foolish idea, but my big concern is wearing my body out prematurely (mostly heart and  knees) working too hard or too heavy.

What do you think?  Especially if you watch the Ted Talk.

Haven't had the opportunity to listen to this TED talk, but in general, I  don't think you can wear your heart out prematurely by exercise, in other words, Jim Fixx didn't have a heart attack bc he ran a lot, he had a heart attack bc he had heart disease and would have had it whether he ran or not.  If i'm not mistaken he had a family history of heart disease and he had a list of factors that led to the heart attack. That is not to say that if you have some underlying condition that the Dr says you shouldn't tax your heart above x amount that you should ignore that advice, but it is the condition that is the problem your exercise hasn't created it.  To address the "in general" part of my statement - I know there is some evidence that people who engage in years of ultra endurance events may injure their hearts, that there is a tipping point where the exercise is good for the heart becomes not anymore! But for most of us that isn't a worry (as I understand things at least) .

As far as wearing out your knees, I believe exercise is good for them too and that it is an old wive's tale that running wears them out. I am told that even when you have arthritis running is good for them. Actually, my right knee is so messed up that if you looked at my MRI you'd be shocked that i can even walk! Stage 4 arthritis, nothing to fix it but a knee replacement. If i hadn't had the MRI to tell me it was messed up i never would have known! Now that i do, i can tell the little aches and pains, but mainly i have no issues. So, basically I can never stop running or else i will have knee pain 

2020-03-03 8:35 PM

User image

Expert

If all else fails, we'll all be riding gravel bikes. Alone.

We have a triple level of insanity here. The company that is transporting Americans who have been quarantined has a major repair station here. The crews that are flying the planes are from here. We have a Chinese owned manufacturer with small factory. Several of the managers come here on assignment from 6 months to 5 years. We are getting racism using the virus as the basis. Finally, we are a tourist town and our season doesn't start until May, but businesses are panicking. Most of our tourists come from in state, but it doesn't protect people from themselves. I think media needs to stop sensationalizing this stuff and report responsibly.
2020-03-03 8:58 PM

User image

I had registered for Azalea but will now look at white lake. It will come after a week of hiking. Should be interesting.

2020-03-03 10:00 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

So my new watch predicts paces. It predicts my 5k at 22:13 which is probably 90 seconds faster then I think I could run. My half time is right on what I have done and the marathon is about 30 minutes off. Anyone know why the big differences? Thanks
2020-03-03 10:26 PM

User image

When DH's parents passed away, we got their Marriott Vacation Club in Vegas. We are trying to rent it out for the week of the NFL draft. So far there are no takers because people are not wanting to go to Vegas right now.

If people are afraid to get the Coronavirus while swimming, they should visit the lifetime fitness I swim at. They use enough chlorine to kill anything. I swear I smell like a pool even on days I don't swim!
2020-03-04 8:28 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by nrpoulin So my new watch predicts paces. It predicts my 5k at 22:13 which is probably 90 seconds faster then I think I could run. My half time is right on what I have done and the marathon is about 30 minutes off. Anyone know why the big differences? Thanks

I don't have an answer for you but am curious about the make/model of your new watch.  Interesting that it can predict paces.  

2020-03-04 8:44 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by nrpoulin So my new watch predicts paces. It predicts my 5k at 22:13 which is probably 90 seconds faster then I think I could run. My half time is right on what I have done and the marathon is about 30 minutes off. Anyone know why the big differences? Thanks

I don't have an answer for you but am curious about the make/model of your new watch.  Interesting that it can predict paces.  

I think this is a feature on most garmin watches (and maybe others) these days. I know my 935 has it. As i understand it does the prediction based off the VO2 max estimate it creates. It also needs a certain number of runs to sort of figure this out so it would not be unusual for the predictions to be inaccurate at first. That said, I have no idea how accurate they are once the watch thinks it knows you!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127