BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-16 9:33 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

2015-01-16 9:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Jet Black The sun is finally making an appearance here in Texas! Seems like the first time in weeks. Ok Manatees I need some mentoring on in workout nutrition. I have a 2 hour ride tomorrow, should I bring anything? What are some guidelines on when you need to refuel on several hours long workouts? Do I need to go buy those goo things or can I just bring a banana or something?

It depends is the initial answer.  What's your longest ride up to this point, and what are your typical long rides?

I used to need gels and stuff for a 2 hr ride, but now I just take two bottles of gatorade.

Edited by msteiner 2015-01-16 9:44 AM
2015-01-16 9:51 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

Master
Northern IL

Nice! Now did I just save money on stuff I would have bought anyway or spend extra because it was on sale?

2015-01-16 9:55 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by Jet Black The sun is finally making an appearance here in Texas! Seems like the first time in weeks. Ok Manatees I need some mentoring on in workout nutrition. I have a 2 hour ride tomorrow, should I bring anything? What are some guidelines on when you need to refuel on several hours long workouts? Do I need to go buy those goo things or can I just bring a banana or something?

It depends is the initial answer.  What's your longest ride up to this point, and what are your typical long rides?

I used to need gels and stuff for a 2 hr ride, but now I just take two bottles of gatorade.

Yeah, for a two hour ride I'd probably do a couple bottles of Skratch and some gels or waffles.

2015-01-16 10:00 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by popsracer

On a related bike gear question, I've used a Cat-eye double wireless for years and it is approaching the end of its life.  Buttons stick, auto pause doesn't work anymore, etc.

I do not link to anything so just need good basics like speed, distance, cadence.  Don't do power but would like something compatible for the future maybe.

It has been forever since I've looked at what is available and am a little overwhelmed with the options.  What do you think of about a Garmin 500?  I found a bundle which includes speed/cadence sensor and heartrate for $199.

Also, can this be easily swapped between by bikes?

that sounds like a great deal! I love my 810 - and the only reason I went with that over the 500 is for mapping. I swap it between my bikes all the time - super easy!

Looks like Mary found a 500 in the classifieds. Timely!

Timely indeed.  I was just talking with Alex about getting a better computer last night and stumbled across it this morning.  Doesn't have a HRM but that's okay; I already have one.  Guess I'll need to get a speed/cadence sensor.  Given the price I got it for, I'm happy to shell out for that.  Now I'm just hoping that he doesn't give it to the local guy who contacted him after I did...

Yeah I wondered about that as well.

So I was just playing with map my run and realized that the long santa fe run that I thought would get me about 10 miles downhill is only about 6 miles. Not as helpful for marathon training.

Yippee!!!!  I got the Garmin 500 for a really sweet deal!!  I offered to throw in $10 for shipping so he wouldn't give it to the local guy.  He said I got first dibs and he'd ship it priority mail for $5.  It'll be on its way tomorrow.  (throws hat in air and does a happy dance)

Woo hoo!

2015-01-16 10:03 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Chris, I have found that being in this group has encouraged me to improve my BT abilities.  And lose time 

Hahaha!

For BT stalking, probably the easiest thing is to either friend everyone and then go through their blogs by going to Community > Friends or to make a table and put it in your own blog. 

2015-01-16 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Oh man it's finally Friday!  I have a team camp that starts this afternoon with a MTB ride, and then we have two days of road training.  It's gonna be an awesome weekend!

Does that mean the the trails have opened?  Woo hoo!

ETA: Everything is still closed here in Raleigh.  Kevin (DH) is not going to be a happy camper this weekend. Me, I gotta do a better job cleaning my bike.  I did a quick wipe down after my last outdoor ride but I know that it needs more than that before I head out in the morning.

Edited by jmkizer 2015-01-16 10:08 AM
2015-01-16 10:07 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL

Yeah, for a two hour ride I'd probably do a couple bottles of Skratch and some gels or waffles.

For 2 hrs of just riding I'll have a couple bottles of water. Food depends. Indoors, usually I don't have anything. Outdoors, I'll bring some with and may or may not have it. Depends how I feel. For an easier effort 2 hr ride it shouldn't take much of any extra energy to get through it. Being famished or tired going in can affect that, but it's more just getting used to going for that long. For a 2 hr harder ride (like Sufferfest's ISLAGIATT), yeah, I'm eating more.

2015-01-16 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

I did a 2 hr ride last week and have one again on Sunday. I got through it with 2 water bottles and a gel that I ate 1:15 into it. But I had a good breakfast and wanted to work at burning off some of my excess insulation. Had the session been harder I had extra food.

What is your post ride food plan?
2015-01-16 10:08 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

Chris, I have found that being in this group has encouraged me to improve my BT abilities.  And lose time 

Hahaha!

For BT stalking, probably the easiest thing is to either friend everyone and then go through their blogs by going to Community > Friends or to make a table and put it in your own blog. 

Or remember which people have already made such tables.

2015-01-16 10:10 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

For 2 hrs of just riding I'll have a couple bottles of water. Food depends. Indoors, usually I don't have anything. Outdoors, I'll bring some with and may or may not have it. Depends how I feel. For an easier effort 2 hr ride it shouldn't take much of any extra energy to get through it. Being famished or tired going in can affect that, but it's more just getting used to going for that long. For a 2 hr harder ride (like Sufferfest's ISLAGIATT), yeah, I'm eating more.

Yeah, two hours is a gray area for me as well.  I always bring something but rarely use it.

2015-01-16 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Oh man it's finally Friday!  I have a team camp that starts this afternoon with a MTB ride, and then we have two days of road training.  It's gonna be an awesome weekend!

Does that mean the the trails have opened?  Woo hoo!

ETA: Everything is still closed here in Raleigh.  Kevin (DH) is not going to be a happy camper this weekend. Me, I gotta do a better job cleaning my bike.  I did a quick wipe down after my last outdoor ride but I know that it needs more than that before I head out in the morning.

The trails are still too wet, but apparently there's a gravel road that serves as a solid MTB ride that we're going to do.  Should be interesting.

2015-01-16 10:11 AM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

Hahaha!

Does anyone have a table that they can share?
2015-01-16 10:15 AM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by tcarlson78

Hahaha!

Spring 2015
Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You!

Spring 2015 thread #1
Manatee bike gallery, Twitter list and
Google+ Community, Strava group
Yanti (TriAya)Matt MS (msteiner)
Chris (cdban66)Janyne (jmkizer)
Mary (laffinrock)Ann-Marie(amd723)
Matt TX (mcmanusclan5)Judi (QueenZipp)
Melanie (melbo55)Stacey (StaceyK)
TJ (rrrunner)Amy (amy mutz RESTRICTED)
Michael (Havok)Neil (Neil65)
Tom (ponderingfox)Adrienne (Asalzwed)
Randee (MtnBikerChk)Mike (jmhpsu93)
Sean (Jet Black)Robin (fortissimo)
Nancy (glfprncs)Ben (brigby1)
Steve (popsracer)Erin (4agoodlife)
Emily (emer)Monica (blueyedbikergirl)
Jo (jobaxas)Jonathan (JJ)
Darren (Richardsdrr) 
2015-01-16 10:17 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by brigby1

2 hours seems to be the magic time, depending on (as Ben indicated) intensity.  I typically bring Gatorade with me on longer rides outdoors or on the trainer.  I've never been able to do much with solid foods unless I'm doing really low intensity.

2015-01-16 10:18 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Orlando

I think nutrition is a pretty personal thing, but I don't eat anything for work outs up to 2 hrs.  If i'm going to be out 2.5 hrs I probably will add a sports drink and over that I will start to add other nutrition, e.g, gus or powerbars or fig newtons or uncrustables.  My stomach can be finicky, so less is better for me.  

If I'm training for a HIM (never done an IM), I pay more attention to my nutrition as I try to dial in what I will need for the race.

YMMV. 

2015-01-16 10:22 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Originally posted by Jet Black

The sun is finally making an appearance here in Texas! Seems like the first time in weeks.

Ok Manatees I need some mentoring on in workout nutrition. I have a 2 hour ride tomorrow, should I bring anything? What are some guidelines on when you need to refuel on several hours long workouts? Do I need to go buy those goo things or can I just bring a banana or something?

Albeit I sucked this last year. Long rides were what I dominated on in years before. This really depends on how many onboard calories you have and what heart rate zone you are going to be in. If you are in lower zones and burning a lot of fat you won't need a lot of calorie support. I can digest better on the bike so I like to use Bananas and NUUN as my liquid for zero calories but other minerals. If I am going harder than I use a custom blend formula and provide myself with 300-400 calories an hour. It really is custom to you and what you burn, how you ride. Best thing I can say is bring enough and don't eat too much and if you eat solids provide liquids with it for digestion.

3 hour rides used to be my norm. For me I am a high salt sweater so I need to replace those more than my training partner. I also consume more water/liquids than she does. If I can keep my HR to 134 BPM I can ride all day long with little food. ( I have enough onboard fuel ie FAT) You may not have enough of that.

Gels absorb easy if you can't absorb well.

Gatoraide won't work for me. Too much Sugar in Fructose form. Fructose won't work for me maltodextrin sp? will.

bananas digest well and I like them. Plus the garbage is bio degradable.

I have also used Fig Newtons. High carbs digest slow.

And last but not least sport beans when it is hot in the summer. They are gross it tastes like I sweat on my candy. But they work for me. Hard to chew and breathe though.

EDIT this year I plan on trialing a salt stick.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Techdiver 2015-01-16 10:29 AM
2015-01-16 10:29 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Now if you could find me a sale on Brooks Glycerins...

2015-01-16 10:30 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario

Sadly I used to love those shoes two models ago.
2015-01-16 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

January 17-18
Adrienne - Capitol Peak Mega Fat 25K Trail Run on Saturday
Steve - 5k trail run on Saturday

Disabled List
Mary - knee
Matt TX - Achilles

Salty Manatee Month of Motivational Mayhem Challenge participants, Mary is continuing to stalk you!

67% - 1 person
    73% - 1 person
    80% - 1 person
    93% - 5 people
    100% - 13 people

2015-01-16 10:34 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by tcarlson78

Hahaha!

Spring 2015
Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You!

Spring 2015 thread #1
Manatee bike gallery, Twitter list and
Google+ Community, Strava group
Yanti (TriAya)Matt MS (msteiner)
Chris (cdban66)Janyne (jmkizer)
Mary (laffinrock)Ann-Marie(amd723)
Matt TX (mcmanusclan5)Judi (QueenZipp)
Melanie (melbo55)Stacey (StaceyK)
TJ (rrrunner)Amy (amy mutz RESTRICTED)
Michael (Havok)Neil (Neil65)
Tom (ponderingfox)Adrienne (Asalzwed)
Randee (MtnBikerChk)Mike (jmhpsu93)
Sean (Jet Black)Robin (fortissimo)
Nancy (glfprncs)Ben (brigby1)
Steve (popsracer)Erin (4agoodlife)
Emily (emer)Monica (blueyedbikergirl)
Jo (jobaxas)Jonathan (JJ)
Darren (Richardsdrr) 

There's now a BT album bike gallery as well.  Got a link to that?

2015-01-16 10:37 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

2015-01-16 10:45 AM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Techdiver

Sadly I used to love those shoes two models ago.

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. They're doing that with the Pure Connect as well.

2015-01-16 10:46 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!

January 17-18

Disabled List
Mary - knee
Matt TX - Achilles

Salty Manatee Month of Motivational Mayhem Challenge participants, Mary is continuing to stalk you!

67% - 1 person
    73% - 1 person
    80% - 1 person
    93% - 5 people
    100% - 13 people

Go Salty and Steve!!!!!!!!

Mary and Matt TX HEAL ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!

2015-01-16 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

January 17-18

Disabled List
Mary - knee
Matt TX - Achilles

67% - 1 person
    73% - 1 person
    80% - 1 person
    93% - 5 people
    100% - 13 people

Go Salty and Steve!!!!!!!!

Mary and Matt TX HEAL ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!

x2!!

And, look at all the Manatees in this season's pod!  And, all very active posters too - yay!!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55444 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.