BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-03-31 8:00 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by cdban66

Racing Manatees:

We have found only one racer this weekend.

Stacey - Snakes and Ladders 12K Trail Race on 03/31/2019

If anyone else is racing, let us know!

Keep in mind that April is coming and along with that is the April Challenge . Please get ready we will be starting on April Fool's day. I'm not sure if that says something about this group or not, but whatever. Have a great weekend everyone!

I had a great run yesterday.

Last year this event nearly got the better of me - if it hadn't been for my sister waiting for me at the top of the hill I would have turned around and retreated. This year I managed to get to the top (walking) only stopping once to help someone who had fallen coming down a possibly broke her wrist.

It still wasn't easy but it definitely wasn't anywhere nearly as hard as it was last year. I finished it 34 minutes quicker than last year and I today I'm feeling alright.

2019-03-31 8:06 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
I am back from our mission rip to Guatemala. We had an incredible week. Including climbing volcano Atitlan to watch the sunrise over volcano Fuego. It was one of the most beautiful events I have ever seen.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214364204164439&set=pb.139...
2019-04-01 7:47 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by JBacarella I am back from our mission rip to Guatemala. We had an incredible week. Including climbing volcano Atitlan to watch the sunrise over volcano Fuego. It was one of the most beautiful events I have ever seen. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214364204164439&set=pb...

Awesomeness!

2019-04-01 8:04 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I am back from our mission rip to Guatemala. We had an incredible week. Including climbing volcano Atitlan to watch the sunrise over volcano Fuego. It was one of the most beautiful events I have ever seen. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214364204164439&set=pb...

Looks amazing!

2019-04-01 8:05 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK

Racing Manatees:

Keep in mind that April is coming and along with that is the April Challenge . Please get ready we will be starting on April Fool's day. I'm not sure if that says something about this group or not, but whatever. Have a great weekend everyone!

I had a great run yesterday. Last year this event nearly got the better of me - if it hadn't been for my sister waiting for me at the top of the hill I would have turned around and retreated. This year I managed to get to the top (walking) only stopping once to help someone who had fallen coming down a possibly broke her wrist. It still wasn't easy but it definitely wasn't anywhere nearly as hard as it was last year. I finished it 34 minutes quicker than last year and I today I'm feeling alright.

Wow! 34 minutes is huge, congratulations!!

2019-04-01 8:07 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Same as above. My goals are to get off my butt every day (trainer or stationary six days a week, 60-90 minute walk when possible) and do PT stretches/exercises every day. Not sure when I will hit the pool again. Just don't feel that our facility is that clean, nor do I feel mobile enough to do much there yet--won't be able to keep warm. Will give it a few more weeks and see how I feel then. I miss Eugene. There was a warm, salt-water therapy pool in a community facility that you could only access with a prescription from a doctor or PT. That would have been perfect right now.

I know that I was approved to use the pool fairly early on after my surgery. I did some deep water running to mix things up. The real issue was getting in and out of the pool with a bum shoulder!

Take care!

2019-04-01 8:09 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia Melanie sent me a note about Washington's Crossing "A Swim Across the Potomac." It is on both my and Jen S's race list this year, and Melanie thought is sounded cool. Just wanted to put it out to the pod at large that this is a super fun OWS event in a cute location with brunch options nearby. Could be a fun mini Manatee meetup. https://www.waveoneopenwater.com/new-events/2018/6/3/washingtons-cro...

Oh, sounds nice!

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees:

I had a great run yesterday. Last year this event nearly got the better of me - if it hadn't been for my sister waiting for me at the top of the hill I would have turned around and retreated. This year I managed to get to the top (walking) only stopping once to help someone who had fallen coming down a possibly broke her wrist. It still wasn't easy but it definitely wasn't anywhere nearly as hard as it was last year. I finished it 34 minutes quicker than last year and I today I'm feeling alright.
That is pretty darn great! Nice that you helped the fallen warrior, too.

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees:

It looks like we have a nice set of Manatees signed up to DOOO EEETTT!!!!

2019-04-01 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees:

WOW! A 34 minute PR! You ROCKED IT!

2019-04-01 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Gorgeous!

No pressure but the Spartans have to represent the Big Ten well! Go non-blue team!

2019-04-01 8:15 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Atlantia Melanie sent me a note about Washington's Crossing "A Swim Across the Potomac." It is on both my and Jen S's race list this year, and Melanie thought is sounded cool. Just wanted to put it out to the pod at large that this is a super fun OWS event in a cute location with brunch options nearby. Could be a fun mini Manatee meetup. https://www.waveoneopenwater.com/new-events/2018/6/3/washingtons-cro...

Oh, sounds nice!

I was thinking it was probably kind of gross to swim in the Potomac and then i remembered that i swam in the Ohio, so nevermind!!

2019-04-01 8:47 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
And Chattanooga--We swam across the river toward a factory--it can't have been all that clean?
2019-04-01 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner And Chattanooga--We swam across the river toward a factory--it can't have been all that clean?

Swim was cancelled when i (and Janyne, Lisa, and Randi) did Choo last fall; so I didn't have the chance to compare it with the Ohio. I get (hopefully) the opportunity to do that 5/19. Here's hoping there is was less diesel smell!! 

2019-04-01 9:22 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer

Oh, sounds nice!

I was thinking it was probably kind of gross to swim in the Potomac and then i remembered that i swam in the Ohio, so nevermind!!

The first time I swam in the Potomac was August of 2016. It actually smelled bad before we even jumped in. Just generally gross, and the lighter parts of my kit never recovered from the dirt. Not to mention we had to drive home with the windows open.
The other times I have swam there (couple times each in 2017 and 2018) it was fine. Kind of like the rest of the rivers I've swam in....pretty muddy, no real visibility, but nothing that makes me question jumping in again for 2019.
2019-04-01 9:35 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ceilidh

I am going to be shaky on the first part of the challenge so I am making my goals realistic. I am headed to Fla for vacation and part of that will be in Key West. There will be no training in Key West I can assure you.

This made me smile, enjoy the heck out of Key West!!

2019-04-01 9:38 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees:

Stacey, your time improvement is incredible, wow!!  Big Kudos to you for stopping to lend aid to the fallen racer.  Congratulations!

2019-04-01 9:38 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Trip of a lifetime for sure, those pictures are simply stunning, what a great experience to cherish forever!

2019-04-01 10:14 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

A few replies in one:

Stacey - great job on your race. Really strong deduction of time!

Jim - That looked like a great trip. And it probably left an impact as well.

Robin - Key West is an endurance test that most triathletes are not prepared for. Pace yourself 

Melanie - I'm not sure I would have gotten through something like TMI with my wits about me. So to me, six year old you gets a pass!

Enjoy the week everyone!

2019-04-01 2:28 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Got back from spring break in warm Florida and am full of positive energy - mental and training wise.
Even though I like winter, there is something about the end of it, around March, where I get into some sort of nostalgia point, where it is hard for me to concentrate, stick to my goals, be productive and happy overall. It is more melancholic than November. And Chicago winters can be very frustrating, thus, the longer they last, the more miserable I feel...

This year we decided to spring break in Florida. We are moving to CO next year, and wanted to take the chance of exploring more of East since it is closer now than it will be after 2020. We landed in the beautiful campground in the middle of Florida, so green and rich in springish life, all covered in sun rays, I felt reborn and happy. We did tons of mountain biking, and the energy kicked in. We're back to Chicago area, it's still cold, but nice and sunny. I am planning to run outside on my lunch break in a moment. Can't wait for it!

I signed up for the challenges, can't wait to participate again. Now that it's finally spring, I am hoping to have way more motivation and fun

Congrats to Stacey!
Have a great awesome new week everyone!

Karen,
how's recovery going?
2019-04-01 6:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I do recall a diesel smell at Chatt during the swim--I was feeling pretty dodgy from food poisoning over the two days before, so it bothered me more than usual. But not sure if it was the water, air pollution from factories, or maybe just boat exhaust. Singapore water (for races off East Coast Park at least--Sentosa tends to be slightly cleaner) is usually opaque/black and smells/tastes like diesel. Yuck!

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-04-01 6:33 PM

2019-04-01 6:38 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Colorado--sounds great! My interviews with Hawaii districts went well today, especially with Honolulu and some other Oahu districts. Apparently they have many immigrant students and are really looking for teachers who have training/experience working with English language learners in the regular classroom, and/or training other teachers to do so. Hoping I can get a concrete offer in the next few months. If not will continue to pursue local leads in the Boise area.

Now if I could just bend my elbow more, and swim. Makes no sense to be moving to Hawaii if I can only sit and look at the ocean!
2019-04-01 7:26 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by marysia83Got back from spring break in warm Florida and am full of positive energy - mental and training wise. Even though I like winter, there is something about the end of it, around March, where I get into some sort of nostalgia point, where it is hard for me to concentrate, stick to my goals, be productive and happy overall. It is more melancholic than November. And Chicago winters can be very frustrating, thus, the longer they last, the more miserable I feel...This year we decided to spring break in Florida. We are moving to CO next year, and wanted to take the chance of exploring more of East since it is closer now than it will be after 2020. We landed in the beautiful campground in the middle of Florida, so green and rich in springish life, all covered in sun rays, I felt reborn and happy. We did tons of mountain biking, and the energy kicked in. We're back to Chicago area, it's still cold, but nice and sunny. I am planning to run outside on my lunch break in a moment. Can't wait for it!I signed up for the challenges, can't wait to participate again. Now that it's finally spring, I am hoping to have way more motivation and fun Congrats to Stacey! Have a great awesome new week everyone!Karen,how's recovery going?
your enthusiasm is infectious. Just in case, I am going to take 10 days of camping in Fla, with a side trip to Key West, just to make sure i have as much when i get back.
2019-04-01 7:46 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerColorado--sounds great! My interviews with Hawaii districts went well today, especially with Honolulu and some other Oahu districts. Apparently they have many immigrant students and are really looking for teachers who have training/experience working with English language learners in the regular classroom, and/or training other teachers to do so. Hoping I can get a concrete offer in the next few months. If not will continue to pursue local leads in the Boise area.Now if I could just bend my elbow more, and swim. Makes no sense to be moving to Hawaii if I can only sit and look at the ocean!
That sounds very promising. And you will be able to use that arm. It just takes some time. Fingers crossed for an office.
2019-04-01 8:58 PM

User image

Expert
Stacy- GREAT JOB! What a gain.

I've never swam the Potomac, but I did swim the York in the brackish section. The nastiest swim ever, including the 3 times in the Ohio. Take that back, I swam in the Detroit River in the 80's.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107