BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-03-23 9:06 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by rrrunner

I am headed to Vegas for my annual participation in the Baker to Vegas Relay ??. My leg is only six miles so I need to cook up lots more miles while I’m there.

Have a blast and good luck!

2019-03-24 9:59 AM
in reply to: #5256960

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
1:45 into today's 2:30 trainer ride. Not dead yet and surprisingly, not bored out of my mind.

Thank goodness for Zwift and 80s YouTube channel.
2019-03-24 12:22 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by glfprncs 1:45 into today's 2:30 trainer ride. Not dead yet and surprisingly, not bored out of my mind. Thank goodness for Zwift and 80s YouTube channel.
Go you! that is a lot of T.I.T.S.

2019-03-24 7:53 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I managed a "long ride" of 30 minutes today. First workout of any kind of the get sweaty and get heart rate up variety since Challenge Wanaka five weeks ago. (I have been walking 1-2 hours a day almost every day, doing a short routine of squats, high knees, and a few other run drills that have a no-impact version, plus about two hours of PT stuff a day, mostly stretches, but haven't been allowed to sweat until now.) Arrrrrgh! Just feels like there is ZERO fitness left. I did manage to get on/off Andreas; couldn't get up the nerve to try clipping in/out so rode in running shoes. Plus sitting up on a tri bike--it felt a bit awkward, to say the least!
2019-03-25 8:50 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerI managed a "long ride" of 30 minutes today. First workout of any kind of the get sweaty and get heart rate up variety since Challenge Wanaka five weeks ago. (I have been walking 1-2 hours a day almost every day, doing a short routine of squats, high knees, and a few other run drills that have a no-impact version, plus about two hours of PT stuff a day, mostly stretches, but haven't been allowed to sweat until now.) Arrrrrgh! Just feels like there is ZERO fitness left. I did manage to get on/off Andreas; couldn't get up the nerve to try clipping in/out so rode in running shoes. Plus sitting up on a tri bike--it felt a bit awkward, to say the least!
Yay!!!! A ride!. Sweat away, you will feel better and better.
2019-03-25 3:18 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner I managed a "long ride" of 30 minutes today. First workout of any kind of the get sweaty and get heart rate up variety since Challenge Wanaka five weeks ago. (I have been walking 1-2 hours a day almost every day, doing a short routine of squats, high knees, and a few other run drills that have a no-impact version, plus about two hours of PT stuff a day, mostly stretches, but haven't been allowed to sweat until now.) Arrrrrgh! Just feels like there is ZERO fitness left. I did manage to get on/off Andreas; couldn't get up the nerve to try clipping in/out so rode in running shoes. Plus sitting up on a tri bike--it felt a bit awkward, to say the least!
Let the sweating commence!

2019-03-25 8:42 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
LOL Sweating is the one ability I don't seem to have lost! 30 minutes did not feel so awful tonight. I do think I will need to use a gym bike for anything much over an hour until I can at least get into a normal road position on Andreas. Sitting straight upright (as in hands not even on the regular bars) on a tri bike (and I have one of those fancy "ism" tri saddles with the groove in front that is really only meant for aero position) is really hard on the butt!
2019-03-26 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner LOL Sweating is the one ability I don't seem to have lost! 30 minutes did not feel so awful tonight. I do think I will need to use a gym bike for anything much over an hour until I can at least get into a normal road position on Andreas. Sitting straight upright (as in hands not even on the regular bars) on a tri bike (and I have one of those fancy "ism" tri saddles with the groove in front that is really only meant for aero position) is really hard on the butt!

YAY for doing something. Muscle memory is such an amazing thing. I was very pleasantly surprised how quickly fitness returns - not that it's not hard at the beginning - after my pregnancies.  But the struggle is not the same as if you were starting something completely new. 

2019-03-26 6:40 PM
in reply to: #5256998

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Now THAT is some progress!!! Yay for getting back on the proverbial horse.
2019-03-26 8:24 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think the horse needs a new saddle LOL! Actually was thinking of trying a different one for this season as I'd been having some persistent, low-grade sciatica issues for a while (all of which of disappear when I don't ride the tri bike for a few weeks), but not sure what the point is of putting a road saddle on. Anyway cannot get Andreas into/out of the car to go to the shop, or handle tools to switch saddle from my roadie, at this point.
2019-03-26 8:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Here's the April Challenge sheet, as promised. Please feel free to edit the sheets as well as sign up for the various challenges.

The main change is to the Strength/Core/Yoga/PT one where you set a goal of number of sessions/week and you are scored on meeting your personal goal.

I'm sorry that I've been out of touch. Work and training have been keeping me busy. I'm headed out of town Wed-Fri but thing should settle down after that.

Edited by jmkizer 2019-03-26 8:34 PM

2019-03-27 4:52 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by jmkizer

Here's the April Challenge sheet, as promised. Please feel free to edit the sheets as well as sign up for the various challenges.

The main change is to the Strength/Core/Yoga/PT one where you set a goal of number of sessions/week and you are scored on meeting your personal goal.

I'm sorry that I've been out of touch. Work and training have been keeping me busy. I'm headed out of town Wed-Fri but thing should settle down after that.

Thank you for the link!
2019-03-27 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I've been out of touch too, but I'm happy to say it was b/c I was in the mountains! Unfortunately, I'm home now; so back to the normal grind

thanks for putting the challenge together and enjoy your time away!  

2019-03-27 3:54 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Thanks, Janyne!  Another chance to work on weight, food, moving and strength.

2019-03-27 4:16 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by amd723

I've been out of touch too, but I'm happy to say it was b/c I was in the mountains! Unfortunately, I'm home now; so back to the normal grind

thanks for putting the challenge together and enjoy your time away!  

Ditto all of that, especially the gratitude!
2019-03-27 5:07 PM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Same as above. My goals are to get off my butt every day (trainer or stationary six days a week, 60-90 minute walk when possible) and do PT stretches/exercises every day. Not sure when I will hit the pool again. Just don't feel that our facility is that clean, nor do I feel mobile enough to do much there yet--won't be able to keep warm. Will give it a few more weeks and see how I feel then.

I miss Eugene. There was a warm, salt-water therapy pool in a community facility that you could only access with a prescription from a doctor or PT. That would have been perfect right now.

2019-03-28 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Same as above. My goals are to get off my butt every day (trainer or stationary six days a week, 60-90 minute walk when possible) and do PT stretches/exercises every day. Not sure when I will hit the pool again. Just don't feel that our facility is that clean, nor do I feel mobile enough to do much there yet--won't be able to keep warm. Will give it a few more weeks and see how I feel then.

I miss Eugene. There was a warm, salt-water therapy pool in a community facility that you could only access with a prescription from a doctor or PT. That would have been perfect right now.

That does sound really nice. So sorry it isn't something you have near you now.
2019-03-28 9:57 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Pennsylvania

A little bit of a funny story from a scary time:

Today is the 40th anniversary of the Three Mile Island (TMI as it's known locally) nuclear plant partial meltdown.  At the time, my family lived less than 15 miles away from the plant as the crow flies and my grandparents were maybe 4 miles away from TMI, so they (my grandparents) evacuated almost immediately and came to live with us for a short time. 

As a youngster who had just turned 6, I certainly didn't understand 'radiation' and 'meltdown' and such things but did know that something bad happened.  One evening very early on in the incident, my mom and I stopped to pick up  subs from an Italian sub shop in the town where I now live (which is maybe halfway between my childhood home and TMI) and I remember opening the sub wrapper and seeing white specks all over the sub roll and mildly freaking out saying it was radiation and I wasn't going to eat the sub.  My parents eventually talked sense into me and I ate the sandwich.  Yup, 6 year olds easily confuse radiation and flour. 

2019-03-28 10:06 AM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by melbo55

Today is the 40th anniversary of the Three Mile Island (TMI as it's known locally) nuclear plant partial meltdown.  At the time, my family lived less than 15 miles away from the plant as the crow flies and my grandparents were maybe 4 miles away from TMI, so they (my grandparents) evacuated almost immediately and came to live with us for a short time. 

As a youngster who had just turned 6, I certainly didn't understand 'radiation' and 'meltdown' and such things but did know that something bad happened.  One evening very early on in the incident, my mom and I stopped to pick up  subs from an Italian sub shop in the town where I now live (which is maybe halfway between my childhood home and TMI) and I remember opening the sub wrapper and seeing white specks all over the sub roll and mildly freaking out saying it was radiation and I wasn't going to eat the sub.  My parents eventually talked sense into me and I ate the sandwich.  Yup, 6 year olds easily confuse radiation and flour. 

Funny! The fact that it's been 40 years and I remember it being on the news is not so funny. Your story reminds me of my aunt trying to return a carton of Breyer's vanilla ice cream back when it first hit the stores because she thought the vanilla bean specks were dirt. Sadly, she couldn't use the excuse of being too young to know better.
2019-03-28 12:42 PM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Of course the first few days of the Challenge I am going to be on the road at a job fair in Portland, so getting the activity part done could be a challenge. Hoping they have a stationary cycle at the hotel, but I don't see anything about a gym on the website, plus not sure how safe/accessible the neighborhood is for walking. PT is non-negotiable--all I need is my arm, a one-pound and three-pound weight (and the heating pad and ice pack for before/after) and I can do it pretty much anywhere, so should be set for that part.
2019-03-28 3:07 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Melanie sent me a note about Washington's Crossing "A Swim Across the Potomac." It is on both my and Jen S's race list this year, and Melanie thought is sounded cool. Just wanted to put it out to the pod at large that this is a super fun OWS event in a cute location with brunch options nearby. Could be a fun mini Manatee meetup.

https://www.waveoneopenwater.com/new-events/2018/6/3/washingtons-cro...

2019-03-29 8:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees:

We have found only one racer this weekend.

Stacey - Snakes and Ladders 12K Trail Race on 03/31/2019

If anyone else is racing, let us know!

Keep in mind that April is coming and along with that is the April Challenge . Please get ready we will be starting on April Fool's day. I'm not sure if that says something about this group or not, but whatever. Have a great weekend everyone!

Edited by cdban66 2019-03-29 8:34 AM
2019-03-30 4:39 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by melbo55

LOL that's a great story! I vaguely remember TMI (would have been a senior in high school).
2019-03-31 7:58 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by cdban66

Racing Manatees:

We have found only one racer this weekend.

Stacey - Snakes and Ladders 12K Trail Race on 03/31/2019

If anyone else is racing, let us know!

Keep in mind that April is coming and along with that is the April Challenge . Please get ready we will be starting on April Fool's day. I'm not sure if that says something about this group or not, but whatever. Have a great weekend everyone!

Hope Your race is great Stacey.

2019-03-31 7:59 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I am going to be shaky on the first part of the challenge so I am making my goals realistic. I am headed to Fla for vacation and part of that will be in Key West. There will be no training in Key West I can assure you.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107