BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-03-09 12:23 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by JBacarella Curtis Great race and even a better job getting the kids involved. This is something they can carry with them the rest of their lives.

Thanks, everyone.   Priorities changed for me when became a "master" Athlete.  I still enjoy competing by have taken a new interest in funneling some of my efforts into younger legs so that when I can no longer PR in events I will be able to live vicariously through others with their achievements. 

I did some digging this weekend and I DID set a race record with my 17:41 5K, but the course record (they use the same course for 4 or more 5K since it is USATF certified) is a 17:20 set by an 18-year-old last September.  The city records is a 16:50 set by a 14-year-old about 7 years ago.  That 14 years old went on to be a college conference champion. 

2020-03-09 12:31 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

OH!  New swim course for IM 70.5 Chattanooga!!!

edited to correct distance.  It's a 1.4 mile swim.

Catching up over here - this is AMAZING news! I won't be racing it this year, but have my eyes on it for every year thereafter! The less-than-two-hours drive is so appealing to me - it's so easy for me to get to Chatty.

PS Ironman training officially starts for me TODAY! 

2020-03-09 12:44 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I crashed my bike today...ON THE TRAINER, ugh. I was cleaning (I won't make that mistake again) before my ride. I move my bike, and didn't check stability before my ride. I didn't get a minute into it, when I made the slow motion tilt. I landed on my ribs. I set everything back up and rode about 35 minutes. I coughed and that was it for the day. I'm pretty sure I bruised my ribs. Now it's ibuprofen and ice for the rest of the day.

how'd I miss this?! So sorry you had this accident, bruised ribs are miserable! On a positive note now i can say i'm not the only one to crash on a trainer 

2020-03-09 12:49 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella I crashed my bike today...ON THE TRAINER, ugh. I was cleaning (I won't make that mistake again) before my ride. I move my bike, and didn't check stability before my ride. I didn't get a minute into it, when I made the slow motion tilt. I landed on my ribs. I set everything back up and rode about 35 minutes. I coughed and that was it for the day. I'm pretty sure I bruised my ribs. Now it's ibuprofen and ice for the rest of the day.

how'd I miss this?! So sorry you had this accident, bruised ribs are miserable! On a positive note now i can say i'm not the only one to crash on a trainer 

I have also done it. Though the only thing injured was my pride ...

Totally forgot to secure the lever when i put my bike back on the trainer. Started riding and found myself very surprised to be falling over.

At least i can laugh about it 

2020-03-10 9:24 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by JBacarella I crashed my bike today...ON THE TRAINER, ugh.

Originally posted by amd723On a positive note now i can say i'm not the only one to crash on a trainer

Originally posted by juniperjenI have also done it. Though the only thing injured was my pride ...

I haven't crashed on my trainer, but I can empathise with the damage to ones pride.  I was on a motorcycle ride with a bunch of other motorcycle safety instructors and we stopped for a break.  I "forgot" to put kickstand down and the bike and I simply fell over, in front of all of my peers.

2020-03-10 9:25 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I definitely over-exerted myself on Friday, still paying the price today.  I have had those "palpitations", that exhausted feeling, ever since then.  I remember reading somewhere, maybe in Friel's Training Bible, that an athlete may actually need to take several days to an entire week off for recovery if they are training too hard.  I think that is where I am at right now.

Friel writes, "...overtraining can come from one or more of the common training excesses: (1) workouts that are too long (excess duration); (2) exertion that is too high too often (excess intensity); and (3) too many workouts in too little time (excess frequency)." (pg 187)  I am betting that I am guilty of both (1) and (2).  When I look at a sample Custom Plan I created using BT's tool the early durations are less than half of what I have been doing and I know I am almost always guilty of driving too hard.

My solution?  Same as always, read and research.  I pulled out my Training Bible with the intent of reading it cover to cover this week and highlighting significant portions.  Then using the Custom Plan Creator and what I learn from my reading to create a more sustainable plan.  I have to remember to take into account the YEARS of inactivity that preceded this life change.

Sure, I loved seeing those miles and hours piling up.  Yes, they "encouraged" me to push harder.  The problem is, I haven't been smart enough not to over-exert myself.  That changes this week.

2020-03-10 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Interesting podcast -- especially if you watched le Tour during the Armstrong era (no, Lance isn't mentioned but several others from the era are_

PYSO, ep. 40: Why do you ride gravel?
https://www.velonews.com/2020/02/culture/pyso-ep-40-why-do-you-ride-gravel_505232

2020-03-10 6:08 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

I definitely over-exerted myself on Friday, still paying the price today.  I have had those "palpitations", that exhausted feeling, ever since then.  I remember reading somewhere, maybe in Friel's Training Bible, that an athlete may actually need to take several days to an entire week off for recovery if they are training too hard.  I think that is where I am at right now.

Friel writes, "...overtraining can come from one or more of the common training excesses: (1) workouts that are too long (excess duration); (2) exertion that is too high too often (excess intensity); and (3) too many workouts in too little time (excess frequency)." (pg 187)  I am betting that I am guilty of both (1) and (2).  When I look at a sample Custom Plan I created using BT's tool the early durations are less than half of what I have been doing and I know I am almost always guilty of driving too hard.

My solution?  Same as always, read and research.  I pulled out my Training Bible with the intent of reading it cover to cover this week and highlighting significant portions.  Then using the Custom Plan Creator and what I learn from my reading to create a more sustainable plan.  I have to remember to take into account the YEARS of inactivity that preceded this life change.

Sure, I loved seeing those miles and hours piling up.  Yes, they "encouraged" me to push harder.  The problem is, I haven't been smart enough not to over-exert myself.  That changes this week.

the book "training after 50" recommends using a 10 to 12 day "week" instead of 7 day to allow for more recovery.
2020-03-10 10:39 PM
in reply to: #5268063

Proof of Life post. I've been reading the forums briefly each day to keep up on things but was swamped at work and now on spring break with family headed skiing. Will pick up regularly next week again.
2020-03-11 4:54 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Expert
Illinois
Proof of Life post for me as well --- life's been a bit hectic but I've got the Mid South this weekend. Please do an anti-rain dance for me --- it's on Oklahoma red dirt roads and will be a sticky mess if the rain in the forecast materializes. I've got a can of Pam packed and plan to spray down the bike on race morning.
2020-03-11 6:36 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by abakeProof of Life post for me as well --- life's been a bit hectic but I've got the Mid South this weekend. Please do an anti-rain dance for me --- it's on Oklahoma red dirt roads and will be a sticky mess if the rain in the forecast materializes. I've got a can of Pam packed and plan to spray down the bike on race morning.
i never heard od Pam-ming a bike. That os elegant.

2020-03-11 6:42 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

the book "training after 50" recommends using a 10 to 12 day "week" instead of 7 day to allow for more recovery.

And that would totally work for people who can move their longer training days off the weekend!

2020-03-11 6:43 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri Proof of Life post. I've been reading the forums briefly each day to keep up on things but was swamped at work and now on spring break with family headed skiing. Will pick up regularly next week again.

Have fun!

2020-03-11 6:43 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake Proof of Life post for me as well --- life's been a bit hectic but I've got the Mid South this weekend. Please do an anti-rain dance for me --- it's on Oklahoma red dirt roads and will be a sticky mess if the rain in the forecast materializes. I've got a can of Pam packed and plan to spray down the bike on race morning.

Thinking sunny sky thoughts for you!

2020-03-11 6:44 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abakeProof of Life post for me as well --- life's been a bit hectic but I've got the Mid South this weekend. Please do an anti-rain dance for me --- it's on Oklahoma red dirt roads and will be a sticky mess if the rain in the forecast materializes. I've got a can of Pam packed and plan to spray down the bike on race morning.

The things that we need to learn for our gravel adventures!

2020-03-11 7:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Do any of you have/use lava shorts? I see that the Xterra ones are on sale ($59, code R-SETUP) and I'm intrigued.

Edited by jmkizer 2020-03-11 7:17 AM

2020-03-11 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

The things that we need to learn for our gravel adventures!

This is something i would never have thought of on my own! Brilliant!!

2020-03-11 8:32 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

And that would totally work for people who can move their longer training days off the weekend!

Though I have not been doing this bc it requires me to think too much about my training plan, Dr. Sims recommends for women in certain phases of life to do a 2 -2.5 week build and then have a really big cut back week. For younger women, the traditional 3 week build 1 week cut is generally not ideal bc your hormones aren't on that cycle (for most women) and you will get the most benefit from training if you train depeding upon high/low hormone times. 

For men over 50 I assume that the 2-2.5 week build would be equally effective as it is with the women. Of course, one has to build based upon where one is with their own training! 

2020-03-11 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Do any of you have/use lava shorts? I see that the Xterra ones are on sale ($59, code R-SETUP) and I'm intrigued.

i don't but have wondered about them and how they'd be different from a pull buoy. Though as I type that i assume the big difference is you'd never have the shorts squirt out from under you!

2020-03-11 8:58 AM

User image

Originally posted by amd723

i don't but have wondered about them and how they'd be different from a pull buoy. Though as I type that i assume the big difference is you'd never have the shorts squirt out from under you!

Those that I know who use the lava shorts like them because, unlike the buoy, you can still kick while wearing them. Yes you can kick with a buoy, but incorrectly as in only knees down. The shorts allow you to use your glutes and hammies to kick.

I hate when I do a flip turn and the buoy shoots out, haha!

Oh, if you do get the lave shorts, do not leave them in your car. They will melt. My brother-in-law found this out the hard way.
2020-03-11 9:05 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

My husband has a pair from ROKA and really likes them.  He calls them his cheater shorts.

2020-03-11 10:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by ceilidh  the book "training after 50" recommends using a 10 to 12 day "week" instead of 7 day to allow for more recovery.

Originally posted by jmkizer  And that would totally work for people who can move their longer training days off the weekend!

Hmmm, another book to buy.  Thanks for the clue.

ETA:  Robin, I can't find that book via Google.  Can you give me the author, or a link?

Edited by leatherneckpa 2020-03-11 10:32 AM
2020-03-11 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by amd723  ... Dr. Sims recommends for women in certain phases of life to do a 2 -2.5 week build and then have a really big cut back week.  .....  For men over 50 I assume that the 2-2.5 week build would be equally effective as it is with the women. Of course, one has to build based upon where one is with their own training!
  Do you have a link for Dr. Sims writings?  Or is it another book, which would be totally cool.

I'm only halfway through the book (speed reader) but Friel teaches to start your plan looking at the overall season; mapping out A, B, and C races; then building backwards from there.  Starting to do that this afternoon.  Biggest obstacle for me to overcome?  The distances/times prescribed by the Custom Plan Creator seem totally inadequate for my goals.  I will need to have faith in the plan.

2020-03-11 10:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

The R&R (Reading and Recovery) continues.  When is a Recovery week NOT a Recovery week?  When one simply decreases the duration of the workouts, but does not decrease the intensity of the workouts.  That was what I was doing for the last two months.  In the new plan, I will have to  remember to decrease both to achieve an actual Recovery week.  Doing less time did not mean that I could push harder.  It means that I have to coast a little bit, to allow my body to actually recover.  One lesson learned, more to come, I'm sure.

2020-03-11 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by amd723  ... Dr. Sims recommends for women in certain phases of life to do a 2 -2.5 week build and then have a really big cut back week.  .....  For men over 50 I assume that the 2-2.5 week build would be equally effective as it is with the women. Of course, one has to build based upon where one is with their own training!
  Do you have a link for Dr. Sims writings?  Or is it another book, which would be totally cool.

I'm only halfway through the book (speed reader) but Friel teaches to start your plan looking at the overall season; mapping out A, B, and C races; then building backwards from there.  Starting to do that this afternoon.  Biggest obstacle for me to overcome?  The distances/times prescribed by the Custom Plan Creator seem totally inadequate for my goals.  I will need to have faith in the plan.

Dr Sims' book is ROAR, but it really is geared for women. I'd google her StacySims and you will see lots of things , eg, podcasts, articles in Triathlete magazine, etc where she discusses various training concepts, some are women related others apply to both sexes. Here's a link to some of her articles in the magazine.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127