BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-09-27 8:28 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by ceilidhPlans had to change today. Jim and I were going "glamping" in Kentucky to do the bourbon burn 3 day bike ride. We are expected to get flooding rains and high winds from the hurricane. We can't leave my Mom or the cabins with that kind of threat. At least I got to deferred to next year! Be safe Chris Banting!
And Anne-Marie!!!

Yeah this storm is gonna be HUGE!

Stay safe all!

2022-09-27 8:31 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by ceilidhPlans had to change today. Jim and I were going "glamping" in Kentucky to do the bourbon burn 3 day bike ride. We are expected to get flooding rains and high winds from the hurricane. We can't leave my Mom or the cabins with that kind of threat. At least I got to deferred to next year! Be safe Chris Banting!
And Anne-Marie!!!
Yeah this storm is gonna be HUGE! Stay safe all!

Thanks for the good wishes! Chris is much more of the danger zone than I. Storm surge along the gulf coast will not be pretty, but hopefully winds will be closer to cat 1 than 3/4 when it finally makes land. Still, there is going to be some ugliness.

2022-09-27 11:00 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by amd723

And Anne-Marie!!!

Thanks for the good wishes! Chris is much more of the danger zone than I. Storm surge along the gulf coast will not be pretty, but hopefully winds will be closer to cat 1 than 3/4 when it finally makes land. Still, there is going to be some ugliness.

I will definitely be keeping you and Chris in my thoughts, hope you don't get hit too hard.

2022-09-27 12:28 PM
in reply to: melbo55

Originally posted by melbo55

And Anne-Marie!!!

I will definitely be keeping you and Chris in my thoughts, hope you don't get hit too hard.

Stay safe everyone!!!!
2022-09-27 12:44 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri

And Anne-Marie!!!

Stay safe everyone!!!!

Unfortunately the latest track has it coming in right on top of Chris! Fingers crossed that doesn't hold true.

2022-09-27 4:08 PM
in reply to: #5279172

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Thanks all. We have older family members in the area, so we worked on window covering and the like and are watching and waiting. I have parents in Venice, which is currently looking like ground zero and they are in a state of denial. So, the next two days will be interesting to say the least. Thanks again for thinking and praying for us. I'll check in on some social media type thing as things go along.

2022-09-27 7:13 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by cdban66Thanks all. We have older family members in the area, so we worked on window covering and the like and are watching and waiting. I have parents in Venice, which is currently looking like ground zero and they are in a state of denial. So, the next two days will be interesting to say the least. Thanks again for thinking and praying for us. I'll check in on some social media type thing as things go along.
I am songlad my Momnis here. My brother and all her elderly friends are in denial, too. Stay safe and let us know how you are doing.
2022-09-29 3:09 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
I messaged Chris. He and his wife are okay.
2022-09-30 10:21 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cdban66 Thanks all. We have older family members in the area, so we worked on window covering and the like and are watching and waiting. I have parents in Venice, which is currently looking like ground zero and they are in a state of denial. So, the next two days will be interesting to say the least. Thanks again for thinking and praying for us. I'll check in on some social media type thing as things go along.
I hope you and your parents and children all stay safe and damage is minimal to your homes.  Take care!

2022-10-04 12:29 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

So...I raced over the weekend.  There was prize money for the top 10 so it brought out some fast people.  I placed 7th which earned me $55.  :-)

This was my first Ocean Swim.  I didn't really know what to expect.  there were waves that were just under the point of white caps.  They were not difficult to swim through but they did make sighting more difficult.  Sometimes I would look up and all I could see were waves.  Other times I would be on the top of the swell rather than the bottom and would be able to see the course markers and other swimmers.  What have you guys experienced for ocean swims?  How would you set them apart from a lake or reservoir swim?  Do you have any tips or advise for ocean swims?

I was 4-1/2 minutes back from the leaders on the swim, 2 minutes back on the bike, and 1 back on the run.  I lost another minute in transition to finish 8-1/2 minutes back. 

2/3 of the bike was on a dike that went out miles out into the Galveston Bay.  It was a two lane road and so we were just feet from the water on both sides.  Going out was into the wind and I average 21.6 MPH.  Coming back with the tailwind I averaged 27.7 MPH with the last two miles at 28.8 MPH splits.  Going out on the dike broke a lot of people.  You had to be mentally tough.  I didn't hear any complaints from people about the inbound leg though.  Everyone had a blast with that.  I will say that the mild head wind followed by the mild tail wind was a lot more fun than a 5 mile climb followed by 5 miles of down hill would have been even if the power/speeds have been the same.  What are you favorite types of bike courses?  What are your least favorite (pot holes for me)?    

2022-10-04 1:15 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

So...I raced over the weekend.  There was prize money for the top 10 so it brought out some fast people.  I placed 7th which earned me $55.  :-)

This was my first Ocean Swim.  I didn't really know what to expect.  there were waves that were just under the point of white caps.  They were not difficult to swim through but they did make sighting more difficult.  Sometimes I would look up and all I could see were waves.  Other times I would be on the top of the swell rather than the bottom and would be able to see the course markers and other swimmers.  What have you guys experienced for ocean swims?  How would you set them apart from a lake or reservoir swim?  Do you have any tips or advise for ocean swims?

I was 4-1/2 minutes back from the leaders on the swim, 2 minutes back on the bike, and 1 back on the run.  I lost another minute in transition to finish 8-1/2 minutes back. 

2/3 of the bike was on a dike that went out miles out into the Galveston Bay.  It was a two lane road and so we were just feet from the water on both sides.  Going out was into the wind and I average 21.6 MPH.  Coming back with the tailwind I averaged 27.7 MPH with the last two miles at 28.8 MPH splits.  Going out on the dike broke a lot of people.  You had to be mentally tough.  I didn't hear any complaints from people about the inbound leg though.  Everyone had a blast with that.  I will say that the mild head wind followed by the mild tail wind was a lot more fun than a 5 mile climb followed by 5 miles of down hill would have been even if the power/speeds have been the same.  What are you favorite types of bike courses?  What are your least favorite (pot holes for me)?    

Congratulations! Guess you are now a professional triathlete  Regarding swimming in the ocean - I grew up in the Ft. Lauderdale (FL) area, so I swam in the Atlantic all the time. That is not to say I swam as in racing or any other competitive activity! But, I did learn some things from being in the ocean and once I started in triathlon most of my racing has been in the Atlantic.  You probably noticed that salt water is more buoyant than fresh water, so that is definitely a bonus. But that salt can also be pretty yucky tasting, so swishing your mouth with water (fresh) as you exit the swim is helpful. Many of the races down here will also have some way to allow you to rinse your feet off as you exit the beach and or a set up where you run through a sort of shower.  As far as swimming goes - if the water is choppy or wavy you need to make sure you have a high arm recovery so you clear the wave/chop. You also want to take shorter, faster strokes and breath away from the wave. 

Those are my top tips. Others probably have more.

2022-10-04 1:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Congratulations! Guess you are now a professional triathlete  Regarding swimming in the ocean - I grew up in the Ft. Lauderdale (FL) area, so I swam in the Atlantic all the time. That is not to say I swam as in racing or any other competitive activity! But, I did learn some things from being in the ocean and once I started in triathlon most of my racing has been in the Atlantic.  You probably noticed that salt water is more buoyant than fresh water, so that is definitely a bonus. But that salt can also be pretty yucky tasting, so swishing your mouth with water (fresh) as you exit the swim is helpful. Many of the races down here will also have some way to allow you to rinse your feet off as you exit the beach and or a set up where you run through a sort of shower.  As far as swimming goes - if the water is choppy or wavy you need to make sure you have a high arm recovery so you clear the wave/chop. You also want to take shorter, faster strokes and breath away from the wave. 

Those are my top tips. Others probably have more.

We didn't have any rinse buckets or showers.  I only took in one mouth full of salt water so that was pretty good for me.  I did notice after the race that black is a terrible colored race kit for ocean swims.  It had white salt lines all over it.  I am sure I will get a lot more opportunities to swim in the ocean since I now live a hour from it.  I will save the tips for things to remember and to work on. 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2022-10-04 1:57 PM
2022-10-05 9:19 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Pennsylvania

Woo hoo, payday!!  Congrats on a good race and winning some bucks!

2022-10-07 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Woo hoo, payday!!  Congrats on a good race and winning some bucks!

Wow! You are a pro!! Well done
2022-10-07 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 8-9
No known racers this week

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2022-10-07 1:17 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

October 8-9

It's Thanksgiving in Canada this weekend - so doing a marathon of cooking turkey dinner - that counts right??

2022-10-07 1:29 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Racing Manatees!!!

October 8-9

It's Thanksgiving in Canada this weekend - so doing a marathon of cooking turkey dinner - that counts right??

A turkey cooking marathon sounds good to me!

2022-10-07 2:12 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

Racing Manatees!!!

October 8-9

Happy Thanksgiving!

2022-10-07 2:27 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Nice Job Curtis! They should make the minimum prize at least cover your entry fee - I'm guessing it did not though.

Anyone watch the women's Kona coverage yesterday? I was super impressed with the the coverage itself and I think separating the men and women is turning out to be a great idea. The women put on a great race and it was cool to watch without having to go back and forth between the men. Also, the men were out at an aid station cheering which was also super cool - I'm sure we'll see the reverse on Saturday.

Hope all is well with everyone and Chris has his power back!

I'm running the Hartford Half Marathon tomorrow. Meh. It's my home state race so why not. No expectations though.

Happy Thanksgiving and happy weekend!
2022-10-07 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Nice Job Curtis! They should make the minimum prize at least cover your entry fee - I'm guessing it did not though. Anyone watch the women's Kona coverage yesterday? I was super impressed with the the coverage itself and I think separating the men and women is turning out to be a great idea. The women put on a great race and it was cool to watch without having to go back and forth between the men. Also, the men were out at an aid station cheering which was also super cool - I'm sure we'll see the reverse on Saturday. Hope all is well with everyone and Chris has his power back! I'm running the Hartford Half Marathon tomorrow. Meh. It's my home state race so why not. No expectations though. Happy Thanksgiving and happy weekend!

Yes, Chris posted on FB that he got power back yesterday afternoon.

Have fun at the half marathon!

2022-10-07 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Nice Job Curtis! They should make the minimum prize at least cover your entry fee - I'm guessing it did not though. Anyone watch the women's Kona coverage yesterday? I was super impressed with the the coverage itself and I think separating the men and women is turning out to be a great idea. The women put on a great race and it was cool to watch without having to go back and forth between the men. Also, the men were out at an aid station cheering which was also super cool - I'm sure we'll see the reverse on Saturday. Hope all is well with everyone and Chris has his power back! I'm running the Hartford Half Marathon tomorrow. Meh. It's my home state race so why not. No expectations though. Happy Thanksgiving and happy weekend!

Yes, I watched some of the Kona coverage. I agree it was quite good and great that the women had their own day. I was happy to see an American woman win it too! Also, Chris Nikic -the young man with Down Syndrome finished in 16;30. Amazing results all way around.

Enjoy the HM!

2022-10-07 2:51 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Yes, I watched some of the Kona coverage. I agree it was quite good and great that the women had their own day. I was happy to see an American woman win it too! Also, Chris Nikic -the young man with Down Syndrome finished in 16;30. Amazing results all way around.

Enjoy the HM!

I love that guy!
2022-10-08 9:55 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No amazing workouts or adventures, due to having Covid since last Thursday, most likely due to a student coughing in my face (so FYI, one-way masking with a KN-95 will not protect you from a "direct hit"). Actually didn't really seem worse than a typical cold, just a bit more tired than usual with a cold, but not nearly as bad as some bouts of flu and assorted viral yuck I've had over the years, particularly when I was living in China and Vietnam. Mom is in similar shape but a few days behind me with the progression. This weekend finally felt up to doing something beyond the short walks I'd been doing, so the following "workout":

Drive car to parking lot near a park. Walk about 30 minutes from there to favorite ice cream place near campus. Get long-awaited double dip of ice cream (while wearing N95 mask). Eat it while walking back.

I felt fine, though I don't think I would have been up to running said workout. Hoping to get in an easy ride tomorrow if air quality cooperates. Weather has been unseasonably warm and sunny but (related to that) we are still having bad air quality at times due to ongoing wildfires about 30 miles east of here.
2022-10-08 10:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

1st place was $450, then $250 for 2nd place $150 for 3rd place, etc.  So with my $100 registration fee I would have been better off to have got a free entry for racing Elite than to get price money.  The guy that came up with the idea of price money wanted it to go deep (i.e. top 10 vs top 3) rather than steep because he didn't want people coming over from Austin, TX and taking way the prize money from the Houston Triathlon Community.  I was okay with the deep ideal.  Everyone that placed was from the greater Houston area.  I have gone over to Austin for enough races that it would be nice to have them come our way to race us but it was also cool to bring out the local competition. 

The only Women's coverage I saw from Kona was on Strava.  There is a lady from my hometown that I follow and she had all of her segments posted along with her comments.  

Happy Thanksgiving!

Edited by BlueBoy26 2022-10-08 10:20 PM
2022-10-09 7:09 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner No amazing workouts or adventures, due to having Covid since last Thursday, most likely due to a student coughing in my face (so FYI, one-way masking with a KN-95 will not protect you from a "direct hit"). Actually didn't really seem worse than a typical cold, just a bit more tired than usual with a cold, but not nearly as bad as some bouts of flu and assorted viral yuck I've had over the years, particularly when I was living in China and Vietnam. Mom is in similar shape but a few days behind me with the progression. This weekend finally felt up to doing something beyond the short walks I'd been doing, so the following "workout": Drive car to parking lot near a park. Walk about 30 minutes from there to favorite ice cream place near campus. Get long-awaited double dip of ice cream (while wearing N95 mask). Eat it while walking back. I felt fine, though I don't think I would have been up to running said workout. Hoping to get in an easy ride tomorrow if air quality cooperates. Weather has been unseasonably warm and sunny but (related to that) we are still having bad air quality at times due to ongoing wildfires about 30 miles east of here.

ugh, sorry you and your mother got it, but I’m happy to see you both are improving. Take it easy!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 27813 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93