BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-18 3:26 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Her Yantiness made me cry today!

In other news I planned my long run today - just 8km to the beach where I would meet DH and daughter and Scooby, have breakfast walk dog come home.

but i seem to have brought something home from Thailand - out damn parasite! or should I say parashite. Instead i was at the doc being asked to poop in a cup…

some extra strong medication was prescribed which has left the worst taste in my mouth but hopefully all will be healed!

2015-01-18 9:00 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK All this nutrition talk has got me wondering what I will use in my Oly. What do you all think of apple juice instead of sports drink (maybe slightly watered down). I just really don't like sports drink, I have used diluted apple juice on some of my longer rides but will it replenish what is needed?

Apple juice with just a dash of electrolytes--fizzy non-sugar tablets like Nuun or just pop some pinches of low-sodium salt (it has about the right balance of sodium and potassium).

2015-01-18 9:11 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by jobaxas Her Yantiness made me cry today! In other news I planned my long run today - just 8km to the beach where I would meet DH and daughter and Scooby, have breakfast walk dog come home. but i seem to have brought something home from Thailand - out damn parasite! or should I say parashite. Instead i was at the doc being asked to poop in a cup… some extra strong medication was prescribed which has left the worst taste in my mouth but hopefully all will be healed!

ParaFACHMIEshite?

Aw sweetie. Ha. I know all about those! Foulmouth probably means metronidazole (Flagyl)?

You made me cry too YET AGAIN. Man, I miss that little guy.

For anyone who missed it, since I've been a bitHOLYSHYTELOTS busy with the little fellers, I found another trash-heap cat (in much worse shape) a few days ago. After rallying really well he finally succumbed to serious shytes (which never really stopped since he came home with me) this afternoon. He had still been fairly well in countenance, activity, affection and appetite if not other gastro functions this morning, so it was very quick.

RIP Nicky

2015-01-18 9:48 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by jobaxas Her Yantiness made me cry today! In other news I planned my long run today - just 8km to the beach where I would meet DH and daughter and Scooby, have breakfast walk dog come home. but i seem to have brought something home from Thailand - out damn parasite! or should I say parashite. Instead i was at the doc being asked to poop in a cup… some extra strong medication was prescribed which has left the worst taste in my mouth but hopefully all will be healed!

ParaFACHMIEshite?

Aw sweetie. Ha. I know all about those! Foulmouth probably means metronidazole (Flagyl)?

For anyone who missed it, since I've been a bitHOLYSHYTELOTS busy with the little fellers, I found another trash-heap cat (in much worse shape) a few days ago. After rallying really well he finally succumbed to serious shytes (which never really stopped since he came home with me) this afternoon. He had still been fairly well in countenance, activity, affection and appetite if not other gastro functions this morning, so it was very quick.

RIP Nicky

Poor bebe. Better loved in a comfy house with you and Smoky than alone in a trash heap.
2015-01-18 10:55 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

We had a nice ride this morning. Nothing spectacular, except I didn't crash while using my new pedals (that might be pretty awesome, actually). I did take a few miles to get less sketchy feeling. In mile 1 we came to the big drop from Papago race last year...walked down it. Had a slight panic attack :/ After two big crashes late in the year,  I can't believe I rode down it, on platforms, in my first mtn bike race last January. We did a little of everything so it was a useful morning practice-wise.

Super warm afternoon, so the kids and I cleaned off the trampoline. I threw on a suit ( of the swimming variety) and got some sun while I sprayed off the patio and the kids played "water dodge" on the tramp. T said, "Mom, it's like summer!" No...it's better than summer. We can walk barefoot 

We didn't stop much during our ride, but here's a nice pic of one of the Papago rock formations.

No crash def beats picking cactus out of your ash

Good ride and beautiful photo!

2015-01-18 11:03 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master

Congrats on great races Steve and Adrienne! 

Yanti, sorry to hear about Nicky.  At least he knew love and comfort in his final hours.  Thank you for taking them all in.

2015-01-18 1:51 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Hi folks, the news isn't good from me, alas my back has gone again, starting with my physio this week. :-(
2015-01-18 2:06 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Hey Manatees, 

Do me a favor and record your miles from this weekends training to this site     http://www.run4meg.com

Meg was a local woman who was training for her second Boston Marathon last January and was struck by a drunk driver at 8:15 on a Monday morning.  The link tells more of her story.

Done.  I counted my swim today.  As I said on that website, I'm so grateful for every minute of exercise I'm able to do now.  January 21 is the 1-year anniversary of my ascent from the hopeless black pit my life had become.  Even though I'm injured, I'm still achieving my long-time goal of being an athlete.  To be able to honor Meg with my gratitude this weekend adds an extra dose of sweetness.  Thanks for sharing this, Judi!

2015-01-18 2:08 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by MadMathemagician

It was just below freezing when I got up this morning.  I am an early riser.      By 10 am the temperature had risen to 50 and off I went for a 20 mile ride.   The trainer does not help with  hill fitness.  No matter.    Got home, cleaned up and ate lunch.      By 1:00 pm the temperature reached 60.   So off I go the river.   Kayaked for a couple of hours.   Didn't see hardly a one when I was out.    Not even the water patrol.   Just got in and am proceeding to fire up the grill.    Does a frozen daiquiri go well with a steak, potatoes, and a salad?   No matter we will manage.    Dr. Shortstop is preceding to build a fire in the fire pit.  Dr. Shortstop does not do triathlons.  She doesn't mind my training.  Whilst I am off swimming, biking or running she is doing cross fit.   It works out.   The temperature has started to drop and it's near sunset.    It's been a great day and shaping up for a great evening.   Will set up the telescope as it should be a gorgeously clear night.   

Hope everyone else has had a good day.   Carpe Diem.

Take that, old man winter....

What a lovely rich and full day!!  Thanks for sharing, Michael.

2015-01-18 2:21 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
BOTH of my sisters are in town!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a rare occurence, so we did an EASY 2 mile run together (which in reality was exactly what I needed after 7 miles yesterday). Still did my Pilates/Yoga this afternoon and "the boys" walkies this morning, so everyone in the house (except my husband who is saving all of his energy, it appears, for the start of the Web.Com golf tour next week, so he hasn't moved much from the sofa) had a good dose of exercise.

Janyne (and anyone in the area west of Raleigh)...my sister just moved from Cary (she lived right off Bond Park) to Pittsboro. She had a great chiropractor in Cary, but needs to find someone closer to Pittsboro. Any suggestions?

Hope you all are having a wonderful Sunday Funday!
2015-01-18 2:26 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Whew, just catching up.

Salty, I think you've found your niche.  Trail racing sounds perfect for you, even if it is a little less organized than expected.  You get to have fun, compete, and enjoy the beautiful wilderness.  Oh yeah, and have beer and tequila at the aid stations. (Really?!)

Great job, Steve!  Way to go in your race!  Can't wait to read your RR.

Erin, yay for not crashing!   Sounds like you're getting your confidence back. 

Speaking of backs, Neil, sorry to hear your back is bothering you again.  Glad you're going to physio soon.  Hope it helps.  Back pain is a be-yotch!!

Jo, nice run!! 

TJ, the new bike just "happened" huh?  Does that mean DH gets to get another car?    Looks like fun, though.  I've been considering getting a MTB.  My swim buddy is moving to Steamboat Springs so I might just have to get one so I can ride when I go visit.

Stacey, have you tried maple syrup?  From what I've heard, it's good stuff for mid-ride endurance food.  Good sugars, lots of vitamins and minerals, and 100% nothing else but maple syrup.

Last but not least, dearest Yanti.  So sad that you lost little Nicky.  (((Hugs)))   I'm sure he was very grateful for your efforts on his behalf.  I'm glad that the tiny torpedo Smoky is going strong.  Now if you can just keep up with him!!

2015-01-18 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Free to a good home:

• Cateye Mity 8 head unit.  Needs batteries.
  • Cateye Strada wireless head unit
  • Poolmate Swimovate watch, needs batteries (must be sent back to manufacturer for replacement?)
  • Garmin Speed/Cadence sensor (scratched)
  • Garmin footpod (the old, large one)

If you want any of these, please PM me by Friday the 23rd.

2015-01-18 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by laffinrock

Whew, just catching up.

Salty, I think you've found your niche.  Trail racing sounds perfect for you, even if it is a little less organized than expected.  You get to have fun, compete, and enjoy the beautiful wilderness.  Oh yeah, and have beer and tequila at the aid stations. (Really?!)

Speaking of backs, Neil, sorry to hear your back is bothering you again.  Glad you're going to physio soon.  Hope it helps.  Back pain is a be-yotch!!

Jo, nice run!! 

TJ, the new bike just "happened" huh?  Does that mean DH gets to get another car?    Looks like fun, though.  I've been considering getting a MTB.  My swim buddy is moving to Steamboat Springs so I might just have to get one so I can ride when I go visit.

Stacey, have you tried maple syrup?  From what I've heard, it's good stuff for mid-ride endurance food.  Good sugars, lots of vitamins and minerals, and 100% nothing else but maple syrup.

Last but not least, dearest Yanti.  So sad that you lost little Nicky.  (((Hugs)))   I'm sure he was very grateful for your efforts on his behalf.  I'm glad that the tiny torpedo Smoky is going strong.  Now if you can just keep up with him!!

Oh no! I got that thing so I can ride off-road with him. Funny though, when I was test driving my bike the LTS owner brought out a soft tail for DH to try
2015-01-18 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by laffinrock

Whew, just catching up.

Jo, nice run!! 

Mary, thank you so much for the synopsis!  I am woefully behind (and will catch up once back at work this week).  

Congrats to our two racers and new bike owner.  Bummer on the back Neil.  Yanti, what can I say... That heartbreak is part of why we went a few years in the way back without a pet (after losing three cats and a dog in the space of a year and a half).  Happily all petted up again, but man do I fell you.  As said, what you did for the little fella hopefully mitigates the feeling of loss (better to have loved and lost, I think).

I'm underwater here again from a cra-cra standpoint, and just as we were getting into a routine.  We're moving to a new house - closer to schools, kids' swim team pool, the park where Kim and I like to run and I often swim (outdoors), on some bike-able routes (FINALLY!!!!!!!) and only about 10 minutes from work - all within the same school district.  

So, much better, but adding a whole shytestorm of, well, storminess at the moment!  

I did manage my first outdoor run since pranging my achilles today.  7 with Kim - in sunny and 70 weather... a little slice of heaven (and my achilles is a bit sore, but didn't pop or anything... I hope this is the right approach (?)  .

OK - back to getting our current house ready to put on the market before settling in for the Patriots' game tonight!!

Matt

2015-01-18 4:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by laffinrockStacey, have you tried maple syrup?  From what I've heard, it's good stuff for mid-ride endurance food.  Good sugars, lots of vitamins and minerals, and 100% nothing else but maple syrup.

So if I say I don't like Maple Syrup is that gonna count against me along with the Coffe and peanut butter?
2015-01-18 4:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
So sorry to hear about Nikky Yanti. I hope you and Smokey are doing ok.

2015-01-18 5:16 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by laffinrockStacey, have you tried maple syrup?  From what I've heard, it's good stuff for mid-ride endurance food.  Good sugars, lots of vitamins and minerals, and 100% nothing else but maple syrup.

So if I say I don't like Maple Syrup is that gonna count against me along with the Coffe and peanut butter?
what are your thoughts about waffles and PopTarts?
2015-01-18 6:26 PM

User image

Thanks for catching us up, Mary!

Stacey, to add what Mary suggested about Maple Syrup, have you tried honey?

Mary, great focus on swim today. Sorry your friend is moving to Steamboat, but just think of the little weekend trips you can go on to visit!

TJ, nice bike!

Erin, gorgeous pictures!

Yanti, so sorry about Nicky. {{hugs}}
2015-01-18 6:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I've been busy the last few days so I haven't had time to catch up yet!  Just checking in to say I am still alive

Me and the wife walked 3 miles with the dogs yesterday checking out a new to us park (which is HUGE, lots of future runs/rides possible there) and I went on a bike ride today after getting a lot done around the house.

Ill catch up soon!

Edited by Havok 2015-01-18 6:31 PM
2015-01-18 6:43 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by StaceyK

Maple Syrup, Peanut Butter and Coffee?  Say it isn't so!! How can anyone not love these foods (together maybe not so much but they are each a food group in my eyes)

2015-01-18 8:21 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Asalzwed Had a fun trail racing debut. Trail racing is so strange. There doesn't seem to be a very official start. After they tell you a long list of hazards and safety notes everyone just seems to take off. For that reason at no point did I know where I was 8n relation to the leaders so I just did my thing. Took photos, visited the aid station (beer and tequila! ) The forest is open to hunting and at one point I heard gunshots to my left that were getting closer and then on my left AND right. But I survived! Got second overally female, too. Wish I had know I was in contention lol

Good job on 2nd OA.  That is great.  Very happy for you.

Trail racing is a different animal.  Very little pretentiousness.  I think everyone just knows they are a badazz for showing up for such a tough event.  Hope Leslie had a good day too and you got to have a beer or two together.

I had a good race today too.  Was 14 OA out of 204.  3rd in my age group.  40 seconds faster than last year.  Not much to complain about on a tough course.  Weather was a lot better than expected.  RR later.

Congrats to both of you! 

We have a 50k/100k trail running race at one of the MTB parks where the finish line is where the RD is cooking hot dogs, and it's in late July.  Dude is nuts!

2015-01-19 7:45 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
It appears today's morning run has to be put on the back burner. My middle boy, Louie, woke us up at 3:30 in a lot of pain. Even though he's 11, being that he has 4 legs, it's hard for him to tell us where the pain is located. I'm thinking it's something spinal based on the way he's moving and when he yipes in pain, but here's hoping for something a little less sinister doggy disc issues.

2015-01-19 8:09 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Hey Manatees, 

Do me a favor and record your miles from this weekends training to this site     http://www.run4meg.com

Meg was a local woman who was training for her second Boston Marathon last January and was struck by a drunk driver at 8:15 on a Monday morning.  The link tells more of her story.

Done! 

2015-01-19 8:12 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Chatham Ontario
I hope everyone had a good weekend. Sorry too busy to play catch up.

I took a day off of working out on Saturday. We were down from 3 kids to 1 and then down from 1 to non so the SO and I had an awesome date night and uninterrupted sleep.

It was nice and warm over the weekend. Even got above freezing for an hour or so...lol sidewalks were sloppy so I opted to swim yesterday instead of run.
2015-01-19 8:39 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by 4agoodlife
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

ParaFACHMIEshite?

RIP Nicky

Poor bebe. Better loved in a comfy house with you and Smoky than alone in a trash heap.

X2  What you did for that kitten was great, Yanti.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55456 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.