BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-03-13 12:20 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

My April 4 HM in western NC just got postponed til late October. Honestly, I'm not that disappointed bc I'm really not feeling in shape for a very hilly HM! Plans now are to still go to the cabin and run and bike and eat and drink on our own!

Social distancing the WNC way! 

I have an event in Brevard on April 4. I already told Kevin that I'm planning to ride my bike either way.

This just in -- Assault on the Carolinas (AOTC) 2020 is a no go.  Looks like I'll be practicing social distancing by riding alone -- or maybe with Robin ;-)

I am supposed to be going to Virginia that weekend for camping, biking and wine-ing. If I do not go, I'll ride with you. We can start together, you ride and find a place to eat, you order and eat (order a to-go box for me). I'll meet you and while you head off, I will eat and catch up to you at where ever you choose for dinner.. probably after you order dessert.

It was just an idea. 

I'm thinking something in the Fairview area.  Do you know if Youngs Gap is rideable? I was thinking that I could ride to Fairview and do a loop and then take Cane Creek back.  I could maybe meet you in Fairview?

there is a ride on Ride with GPS that is called" Fairview to Fletcher to Fairview" that is a cool ride. I am so darn nervous riding on so many roads around here. They are fine with no traffic, but there is virtually no shoulders and some vehicles contain jerks. there are quite a few other rides if you put in Fairview as the start location and the distance for searching to within 10 miles. Some of those are on less traveled roads. some are hikes rather than rides.  The ride Fairview to Chimney Rock (or bat cave or lake lure) I have never been able to complete. I cried once trying

We don't want any crying!

This is what I was thinking: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31903682?privacy_code=6LKdcSmMIUDnpNaT with a meetup in Fairview for some riding and nutrition.

2020-03-13 6:53 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
All Oregon schools are now closed at least through April 1. No distance learning as yet as the district is not set up for it--I asked about this over a month ago and other teachers and admin looked at me like I was crazy. All my former colleagues in Asia have been doing it since late January! Week after next was spring break anyway. We'd planned to go to Hawaii but have cancelled. Arrrgh. At this point I have had no vacation since getting injured last year mid-February--plans have always been scuttled by injury, job, fires (Australia), and now epidemic.
2020-03-13 9:49 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Michigan Schools are closed two weeks and then we have Public School spring break. Since the colleges are on line and college sports are suspended we have two kids home for a month. We decided to pay our non-certified staff, and our kitchen staff is preparing meals for the low income kids who rely on the school to provide them with meals.
I read a post that this is a great opportunity for us to pull together and show community.
Our rural county has 5 suspected cases and it could take 14 days for test results. The debate is who is more annoying the panicers or the deniers. I think the best option is this is government sponsored Netflix and Chill
2020-03-14 6:52 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Yep, over here with schools and daycare closed until April 5- will have our 6 and nearly 3 year old home. We are good to WFH but really? How is that accomplished with kids home? Even if we had child care will all be in the same place.  I totally get it and will all be fine. Just need to wrap my mind around it all. This mama is tired. We already had rotating teacher strikes which meant that we've had 5 days unplanned school closures so it's been a lot of being flexible and just trying to keep going. So, bear with my whining. My life is all logistics all the time. Now dealing with school lunch refunds, closed skiing, etc.

This will be a lot of togetherness! Thankfully my own manager has said she doesn't expect parents to have to take vacation but i don't know yet what exactly that means ... and i do expect a refund on daycare - i am not cool with just eating the $1850 we pay per month! 

oh and all city pools, recreation facilities closed. So no swimming for about 3 weeks. We'll see if i go stir crazy.  I will get all my biking and running done! And i guess focus on strength! 

But my DH is great, even though it's still cool out he's planning to set up the back yard for playing and relaxing. We have a nice firebowl and outdoor couch. 

2020-03-14 7:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Yep, over here with schools and daycare closed until April 5- will have our 6 and nearly 3 year old home. We are good to WFH but really? How is that accomplished with kids home? Even if we had child care will all be in the same place.  I totally get it and will all be fine. Just need to wrap my mind around it all. This mama is tired. We already had rotating teacher strikes which meant that we've had 5 days unplanned school closures so it's been a lot of being flexible and just trying to keep going. So, bear with my whining. My life is all logistics all the time. Now dealing with school lunch refunds, closed skiing, etc.

This will be a lot of togetherness! Thankfully my own manager has said she doesn't expect parents to have to take vacation but i don't know yet what exactly that means ... and i do expect a refund on daycare - i am not cool with just eating the $1850 we pay per month! 

oh and all city pools, recreation facilities closed. So no swimming for about 3 weeks. We'll see if i go stir crazy.  I will get all my biking and running done! And i guess focus on strength! 

But my DH is great, even though it's still cool out he's planning to set up the back yard for playing and relaxing. We have a nice firebowl and outdoor couch. 

Kevin has been directed to work remotely until at least the end of the month.

NCSU has not had good communication at all. Students were told extended spring break and then online classes where possible.  But then they posted a modified academic calendar but did not advertise it (are we to assume that it is correct?). Staff has been told nothing. I've been busy training people on how to set up video conferences (most have been in video calls but not set them up or shared screens, etc. plus how to do this public facing).  We've also been fielding odd ball calls about Extension Master Gardeners (volunteers, mostly retirees) and how to handle them.  I'm sure that there will be many emergency gardening questions in the coming weeks!

In addition to that, I coordinate the online event registration system and with many events being canceled/postponed, that's been busy as well. I've taken a lot of calls about "but our refund policy says" at which time I explain that asking for a refund and refunding due to cancelation are not the same thing.  Anyway, I'm under the impression that I'm expected to continue to show up to work.  My office is somewhat off campus so it's probably safe-ish but I wish that they would give better direction.  "You are all adults" doesn't cut it. Technically, the students are adults as well.

Edited by jmkizer 2020-03-14 7:31 AM
2020-03-14 7:30 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella Michigan Schools are closed two weeks and then we have Public School spring break. Since the colleges are on line and college sports are suspended we have two kids home for a month. We decided to pay our non-certified staff, and our kitchen staff is preparing meals for the low income kids who rely on the school to provide them with meals. I read a post that this is a great opportunity for us to pull together and show community. Our rural county has 5 suspected cases and it could take 14 days for test results. The debate is who is more annoying the panicers or the deniers. I think the best option is this is government sponsored Netflix and Chill

Good job, Jim!

We've been told (well, in a follow the links way, as I said, communication has been very poor) that we may be furloughed. 

2020-03-14 8:10 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella Michigan Schools are closed two weeks and then we have Public School spring break. Since the colleges are on line and college sports are suspended we have two kids home for a month. We decided to pay our non-certified staff, and our kitchen staff is preparing meals for the low income kids who rely on the school to provide them with meals. I read a post that this is a great opportunity for us to pull together and show community. Our rural county has 5 suspected cases and it could take 14 days for test results. The debate is who is more annoying the panicers or the deniers. I think the best option is this is government sponsored Netflix and Chill

ooh, great debate! The panic group have hoarded all the things which impacts my ability to buy TP , so they stink; but the deniers are not doing anything to help stop the spread of COVID19, so they really stink and most of them IMO are deniers of other things like science!, so they super stink. Deniers for the win!

2020-03-14 8:26 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

Our schools are out til the end of the month and yesterday the Cheif Justice of the Florida Supreme court shut down the courthouses at least as it relates to criminal and civil trials. We are unsure about standard hearings, but imagine that our local chief judge may issue an order dealing with those.

My running group suspended the practice of putting out support - we put out coolers of water and gatorade or nuun every 2-3 miles around a 10 mile loop until at least the end of the month. Most of the runners understood why, but some couldn't fathom it or how to bring their own hydration. I spoke with one woman after the run and she said she was a little unsure it was needed until she noticed someone she was running with wipe her running nose and realized that the same hand would be used to dispense water from the same cooler she'd be using!  I am amazed that we don't constantly have viruses sweeping through the group, but i guess our immune systems are pretty healthy!

After our Saturday runs we usually have big groups eating breakfast at First Watch. This morning there were 4 of us there in the entire place! I'm sure more runners would end up there, but there were no non-runners which is unusual. Our waitress said she was really worried bc if people don't show up she doesn't get tips and won't be able to pay her bills. I feel very sorry for people for whom this shut down will have a very real financial impact. We left a big tip so she probably should tell her worries to all the customers

2020-03-14 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

ooh, great debate! The panic group have hoarded all the things which impacts my ability to buy TP , so they stink; but the deniers are not doing anything to help stop the spread of COVID19, so they really stink and most of them IMO are deniers of other things like science!, so they super stink. Deniers for the win!

Funny my DH wen to the grocery store this morning and he said it was hopping. But given we'll be home i asked him to buy more flour, butter and sugar so we can do some baking. It's a great thing to do when you have time at home. And a lady was asking him about why are people buying flour. And, really? We are only supposed to eat canned goods? this is self isolation but as far as i know doesn't require you to go full bunker mode. You do not have to sit in your basement and eat tuna from a can. Food is still shipping. Right? The run on dry good is very perplexing. We will be getting our fruit and veggie basket delivered tomorrow. This is a good time to focus on cooking/baking/ eating well!

My guess is that people are going to have a pantry full of pasta and beans they can trace back to COVID-19 for years to come.  

2020-03-14 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Manatees!!! So I was supposed to go to Stillwater, OK for the Mid South gravel race, which is being held today. Our group was supposed to leave Thursday afternoon. One of our group, Chuck, was the driver and we were all going to go in his Ford Transit, the perfect adventure vehicle. Chuck is in administration at the University of Illinois-Springfield, and is over infrastructure/facilities. So of course when the college decided to go to online learning through the end of March, he was pulled into a day-long meeting.

So we pushed our departure time back, but I was in contact with a friend who was already in Stillwater and he did not have good things to report. He ultimately opted out of the race and drove home (8 hour drive). The organizers felt they could not cancel, as they had too much invested, but the riders were opting to not attend and some of the Expo participants cancelled. Added to that, it was raining and the forecast was dismal. Volunteers for the aid station cancelled at the last minute and the organizers were scrambling to find people to staff it.

In the end we chose not to go. I think it was a good decision but everything is so strange right now. I tried to go to the grocery store this morning and the lines were clear to the back of the store, so I skipped it. To add to the surreal feeling, our home internet has been down since Thursday afternoon and I've been relying on my phone's data plan to stay connected. No idea what's going on there except that it's a widespread outage and Comcast is working on it.

And what's with all the people hoarding TP and wipes?????

2020-03-14 8:39 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

Funny my DH wen to the grocery store this morning and he said it was hopping. But given we'll be home i asked him to buy more flour, butter and sugar so we can do some baking. It's a great thing to do when you have time at home. And a lady was asking him about why are people buying flour. And, really? We are only supposed to eat canned goods? this is self isolation but as far as i know doesn't require you to go full bunker mode. You do not have to sit in your basement and eat tuna from a can. Food is still shipping. Right? The run on dry good is very perplexing. We will be getting our fruit and veggie basket delivered tomorrow. This is a good time to focus on cooking/baking/ eating well!

My guess is that people are going to have a pantry full of pasta and beans they can trace back to COVID-19 for years to come.  

haha, probably! We see this all the time when a hurricane is forecasted - though TP is a new one. People just have some fear that other people are panic buying so if they don't stockpile too they won't have the thing so the cycle feeds on itself.  Hopefully, it burns itself out soon. I am heading to the grocery store now for my standard Saturday trip and am afraid of what i may encounter

2020-03-14 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hate to say it, but...we stocked up about 3-4 weeks ago, while most people were in denial, and the government was saying it was "just a cold". Not this crazy toilet-paper hoarding thing, just gradually build up a stockpile of enough canned/frozen/non-perishable food, toiletries, cleaning and pet supplies so if we didn't want to go to the store for maybe 3-4 weeks, we wouldn't have to. I got some masks (two boxes of 20--no need to hoard but you may want some at some point just for peace of mind if you do have to go somewhere essential like store or pharmacy, or end up caring for a sick family member), gloves, etc. about six weeks ago. I just went 2-3 times a week for a few weeks, not panic buying all at once. Not my first rodeo--after SARS in China, I could guess where this was headed.

When I lived overseas, ever since China, I always had those supplies on hand. Mom has the habit of shopping just for a few days at a time, but I forced the issue here. Living overseas, you just don't know if you will be able to get any help with emerging diseases, political unrest, typhoons and other natural disasters. Ex-pats tend to fall into a potentially dangerous gray area--you can't really count on help from the host country government, since you're not a citizen and maybe not party to the way they organize distribution of aid, nor, necessarily, from your own embassy. It's been my experience that the US embassies are *okay* with individual issues like a citizen getting seriously injured or arrested overseas and needing to be medi-vaced (citizen still pays but the embassy can arrange emergency loans and help with logistics) or provided with wellness visits and legal counsel; pretty useless with big adverse events.

Surprised the US tried to get people out of Wuhan and off the cruise ships. I can testify (as an American citizen in Beijing during SARS) that they did NOTHING for us, beyond getting their own "non-essential personnel" out. Not even wellness checks or news updates, definitely no assistance in getting out of there, getting supplies we needed if we were quarantined, etc. When most shops shut down and basic goods were rationed, I did get some rationed food from the neighborhood committee (basically, from the Chinese government); no assistance from my own government. Maybe things have improved in recent years....I hope so.
2020-03-14 1:10 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I read something today that clicked for me regarding TP hoarding: 

Jay L. Zagorsky, a senior lecturer at Boston University, writes in Business Insider that buying things like toilet paper is a way for us to feel in control.

“This is an example of ‘zero risk bias,’ in which people prefer to try to eliminate one type of possibly superficial risk entirely rather than do something that would reduce their total risk by a greater amount,” Zagorsky writes.

Personally I'm not the type to stock up on anything. My family has long made fun of me in that I only keep a week's worth of food in the house and nothing more. Every week at the store I buy ONLY what I'll eat for that week. But yesterday I did buy about 2 weeks worth of stuff. I was down to 2 rolls of TP in the house and was able to snag 8 rolls at Aldi. Which is less than what I would even normally buy when I'm down to 2 rolls. Intentionally did not buy everything I could. Hoping that helped people down the line.

Also for an introvert like me, this is kind of a dream scenario. You mean to tell me I'm not expected to have to be around ANYONE or talk to ANYONE or make small talk or pretend I enjoy group settings/meals/conversations? I can just stay home with my dog and still work and get paid and train for triathlons? YES PLEASE!  (my condolences to extroverts, really. It's got to be tough).

2020-03-14 1:57 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I'm just waiting on the call from my school district that we'll be closed. I'm already quite surprised that they haven't done so already given the federal and state 'state of emergencies.'

We started putting together 'distance learning' tasks & activities. The majority of our students have some sort of access to Google Classroom (the platform we'll use to share information electronically), and I wrote down physical addresses of 3 students who said they may not have Internet access, so I'll make some copies and throw them in the mail on Monday should we be out. We are expected to have 'office hours' from 9-10, 11-12 and 2-3 each Monday through Friday for students who need extra assistance through e-mail, Google Hangouts, or other messaging services we have. It'll be interesting. When we chatted with the kids about it, they were surprisingly calm and receptive to the idea of distance learning vs. their typical reaction of "YES!! We're out of school." I think they're old enough to understand the reality of the situation. Many have individuals living in their homes who are immune compromised, and they expressed their concerns.

The pollen has also descended upon us here in the SC/GA area, so that's also caused cold and flu-like symptoms in many. I'm coughing like there's no tomorrow, and every time I did so at work, I would get 'the look.' I almost felt like I had to explain myself every time.

My husband is a Tour caddie, so he's out of work for the time being since all golf Tours have postponed through the beginning of April at the earliest. That'll make life a bit more interesting as well.
2020-03-14 3:40 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Our district has, I think, been caught with its pants down when it comes to preparation for online/distance learning. I think if the closure goes on, we'll have to cobble together something. It will be especially challenging with the age level I'm teaching now (third grade) and the fact that it's a Chinese immersion program. I think it should be possible to get in the basics like math and reading, though, in some kind of combined online/phone/mail format, if that became necessary. I might be able to do something with Chinese but it probably won't be ideal for the way kids this age learn; also not something that most of my students can get parent help with. (Out of 16, only three have Chinese-speaking parent(s).)
2020-03-14 10:18 PM

User image

We are closed for at least two weeks, one of which is our Spring Break. We started giving contracts to students for Chromebooks, but most of our kids do not have access to WiFi. I think it's just so we can tell the state we tried.

Food services will still be serving two meals a day. They will do it in the school parking lot and it will basically be a drive thru. They will not give food to anyone not in cars and you can only get meals for kids under 18. Those kids must also be in the car.

Teachers go in Monday to clean our rooms and pack up any personal items to take home. My principal came up to me and told me that the CDC has recommended that schools close for 6-8 weeks which would only give us a few weeks left in the school year. He let me go into school today and he helped me and my husband start packing 31 years of stuff. My eyes kept watering. Must of been the dust.

2020-03-15 4:47 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by lisac957

I read something today that clicked for me regarding TP hoarding: 

Jay L. Zagorsky, a senior lecturer at Boston University, writes in Business Insider that buying things like toilet paper is a way for us to feel in control.

“This is an example of ‘zero risk bias,’ in which people prefer to try to eliminate one type of possibly superficial risk entirely rather than do something that would reduce their total risk by a greater amount,” Zagorsky writes.

Personally I'm not the type to stock up on anything. My family has long made fun of me in that I only keep a week's worth of food in the house and nothing more. Every week at the store I buy ONLY what I'll eat for that week. But yesterday I did buy about 2 weeks worth of stuff. I was down to 2 rolls of TP in the house and was able to snag 8 rolls at Aldi. Which is less than what I would even normally buy when I'm down to 2 rolls. Intentionally did not buy everything I could. Hoping that helped people down the line.

Also for an introvert like me, this is kind of a dream scenario. You mean to tell me I'm not expected to have to be around ANYONE or talk to ANYONE or make small talk or pretend I enjoy group settings/meals/conversations? I can just stay home with my dog and still work and get paid and train for triathlons? YES PLEASE!  (my condolences to extroverts, really. It's got to be tough).

Yes, Introverts Unite! I'm somewhat hoping I'll have to work from home.
2020-03-15 7:45 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo We are closed for at least two weeks, one of which is our Spring Break. We started giving contracts to students for Chromebooks, but most of our kids do not have access to WiFi. I think it's just so we can tell the state we tried. Food services will still be serving two meals a day. They will do it in the school parking lot and it will basically be a drive thru. They will not give food to anyone not in cars and you can only get meals for kids under 18. Those kids must also be in the car. Teachers go in Monday to clean our rooms and pack up any personal items to take home. My principal came up to me and told me that the CDC has recommended that schools close for 6-8 weeks which would only give us a few weeks left in the school year. He let me go into school today and he helped me and my husband start packing 31 years of stuff. My eyes kept watering. Must of been the dust.

That's what our school district is doing too. I read about the recommendation of 6-8 weeks and thought that would torpedo the school year, but in that same article i believe there was some acknowledgment that having kids off school may not be a big help regardless of time off. I'm sorry this may be how your teaching career ends!

2020-03-15 8:32 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by fortissimoWe are closed for at least two weeks, one of which is our Spring Break. We started giving contracts to students for Chromebooks, but most of our kids do not have access to WiFi. I think it's just so we can tell the state we tried.Food services will still be serving two meals a day. They will do it in the school parking lot and it will basically be a drive thru. They will not give food to anyone not in cars and you can only get meals for kids under 18. Those kids must also be in the car. Teachers go in Monday to clean our rooms and pack up any personal items to take home. My principal came up to me and told me that the CDC has recommended that schools close for 6-8 weeks which would only give us a few weeks left in the school year. He let me go into school today and he helped me and my husband start packing 31 years of stuff. My eyes kept watering. Must of been the dust.
I am sorry. 31 years is a lot of memories! I am sure it was the pollen, not the dust.
2020-03-15 1:45 PM

Our schools are out til the end of the month and yesterday the Cheif Justice of the Florida Supreme court shut down the courthouses at least as it relates to criminal and civil trials. We are unsure about standard hearings, but imagine that our local chief judge may issue an order dealing with those.

Same up here in AK. Our jury trials are cancelled for now. In some parts of the state they've cancelled them until May, but mine are on hold a week at a time for now. I'm hoping to go to all telephonic hearings sometime this week.

Very disappointed my local post is closed down now too.
2020-03-15 1:46 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Skiing this week was pretty great though!!!

(20200311_110915.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20200311_110915.jpg (2574KB - 3 downloads)

2020-03-15 2:44 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Well, I guess I'll be practicing my social distancing with my students tomorrow. School is in session. I'm expecting at least a 40% absentee rate, and those that show up will be my humdingers. Good times ahead.
2020-03-15 3:14 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Expert
Originally posted by alaskatri

Same up here in AK. Our jury trials are cancelled for now. In some parts of the state they've cancelled them until May, but mine are on hold a week at a time for now. I'm hoping to go to all telephonic hearings sometime this week.

Very disappointed my local post is closed down now too.

Our Supreme Court has stopped everything except for constitutionally required hears, but they had to admit that they have no real authority over local circuits. Our local Chief Judge (I have to respect the position, I don't have to respect the man) feels that this is a joke and there is no real danger and up until they cancelled his cruise in two weeks, fully intended to go. He has decided that all court should g forward as scheduled. After he announce this, one of the judges sua sponte adjourned all of her cases, except for constitutionally required hearings, until May. She doesn't respect the man either.
2020-03-15 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
I want to apologize to the group. In an earlier post I used the phrase "Netflix and chill." I did not know this was a sexual reference, until one of my daughters pointed it out with all of the subtlety of a baseball bat. I am sorry I wrote this. I remember back in the old days that chill meant to relax, and had no real idea it meant something else in that phrase. I am sorry for writing this in one of my posts.
2020-03-15 4:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by fortissimo We are closed for at least two weeks, one of which is our Spring Break. We started giving contracts to students for Chromebooks, but most of our kids do not have access to the WiFi. I think it's just so we can tell the state we tried. 

I work for an internet provider and the big ones have pledged to help people get access to the internet (and for it to not be shut off) for this reason. Here's the information my company put out the other day. They're waiving fees for the first month on our low-cost internet program that's intended for low-income families (it's $9.99/month normally) and a bunch of other stuff. I know Comcast has done the same, and others should follow if they haven't already.

Edited by lisac957 2020-03-15 4:11 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127