BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-10-10 9:15 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

Originally posted by Hot Runner No amazing workouts or adventures, due to having Covid since last Thursday, most likely due to a student coughing in my face (so FYI, one-way masking with a KN-95 will not protect you from a "direct hit"). Actually didn't really seem worse than a typical cold, just a bit more tired than usual with a cold, but not nearly as bad as some bouts of flu and assorted viral yuck I've had over the years, particularly when I was living in China and Vietnam. Mom is in similar shape but a few days behind me with the progression. This weekend finally felt up to doing something beyond the short walks I'd been doing, so the following "workout": Drive car to parking lot near a park. Walk about 30 minutes from there to favorite ice cream place near campus. Get long-awaited double dip of ice cream (while wearing N95 mask). Eat it while walking back. I felt fine, though I don't think I would have been up to running said workout. Hoping to get in an easy ride tomorrow if air quality cooperates. Weather has been unseasonably warm and sunny but (related to that) we are still having bad air quality at times due to ongoing wildfires about 30 miles east of here.

I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. Hopefully you and your mom both continue to improve and that you are back to normal soon.

I'm sure that ice cream will make all of the difference!

2022-10-10 1:36 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Nice Job Curtis! They should make the minimum prize at least cover your entry fee - I'm guessing it did not though. Anyone watch the women's Kona coverage yesterday? I was super impressed with the the coverage itself and I think separating the men and women is turning out to be a great idea. The women put on a great race and it was cool to watch without having to go back and forth between the men. Also, the men were out at an aid station cheering which was also super cool - I'm sure we'll see the reverse on Saturday. Hope all is well with everyone and Chris has his power back! I'm running the Hartford Half Marathon tomorrow. Meh. It's my home state race so why not. No expectations though. Happy Thanksgiving and happy weekend!

Yes, I watched some of the Kona coverage. I agree it was quite good and great that the women had their own day. I was happy to see an American woman win it too! Also, Chris Nikic -the young man with Down Syndrome finished in 16;30. Amazing results all way around.

Enjoy the HM!

I love that guy!
I'm so excited and happy he finished.  My friends and I are going to a dinner/fundraiser to hear him talk, I can't wait.  It will be very interesting to hear about his accomplishments.

2022-10-10 1:38 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner No amazing workouts or adventures, due to having Covid since last Thursday, most likely due to a student coughing in my face (so FYI, one-way masking with a KN-95 will not protect you from a "direct hit"). Actually didn't really seem worse than a typical cold, just a bit more tired than usual with a cold, but not nearly as bad as some bouts of flu and assorted viral yuck I've had over the years, particularly when I was living in China and Vietnam. Mom is in similar shape but a few days behind me with the progression. This weekend finally felt up to doing something beyond the short walks I'd been doing, so the following "workout": Drive car to parking lot near a park. Walk about 30 minutes from there to favorite ice cream place near campus. Get long-awaited double dip of ice cream (while wearing N95 mask). Eat it while walking back. I felt fine, though I don't think I would have been up to running said workout. Hoping to get in an easy ride tomorrow if air quality cooperates. Weather has been unseasonably warm and sunny but (related to that) we are still having bad air quality at times due to ongoing wildfires about 30 miles east of here.
Wishing you and your mom a speedy recovery.

2022-10-11 11:59 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. Hopefully you and your mom both continue to improve and that you are back to normal soon.

I'm sure that ice cream will make all of the difference!

Walking to and from with ice cream? I would call that making the best of a bad situation!

Heal up!
2022-10-11 12:49 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

A little update from the weekend: Mary (laffinrock) and Alex came to the east coast for a variety of reasons (one of which included seeing me!) and we met for dinner and drinks Saturday night.  It was so wonderful to see them and catch up.  The best part was despite being 3 years since we last saw each other in person, it felt like mere days or weeks.  Just a little reminder how special the Manatee group is!

The other good news is talking to her is relighting the spark of running for me.  I ordered a new pair of trail shoes to help inspire me to get moving.  I just need to get past the mental hurdle of the challenge of restarting and keep my expectations at an appropriate level.  I know it's going to suck for a while, but I will eventually get back to a steady, continuous run.

I also have a new goal for next year: run the Garden Spot Half in the spring and the Bird-In-Hand half in the fall to achieve the coveted Road Apple Award. The spring marathon will serve as an indicator to if I can/should attempt the 50K in October I mentioned a while ago.

2022-10-11 12:55 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

A little update from the weekend: Mary (laffinrock) and Alex came to the east coast for a variety of reasons (one of which included seeing me!) and we met for dinner and drinks Saturday night.  It was so wonderful to see them and catch up.  The best part was despite being 3 years since we last saw each other in person, it felt like mere days or weeks.  Just a little reminder how special the Manatee group is!

The other good news is talking to her is relighting the spark of running for me.  I ordered a new pair of trail shoes to help inspire me to get moving.  I just need to get past the mental hurdle of the challenge of restarting and keep my expectations at an appropriate level.  I know it's going to suck for a while, but I will eventually get back to a steady, continuous run.

I also have a new goal for next year: run the Garden Spot Half in the spring and the Bird-In-Hand half in the fall to achieve the coveted Road Apple Award. The spring marathon will serve as an indicator to if I can/should attempt the 50K in October I mentioned a while ago.

Awesome update! I'm glad that you had a chance to meet up with Mary and Alex.

I love your run restart plan! ;-)

2022-10-11 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

WNC fans and CNC Mountain Ride Participants, here's the trailer for a new Amazon Prime series filmed in Marshall, NC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQprKR7MXwg

2022-10-11 1:09 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I love that you get to have a nice meetup!
Nice 2023 plans )))
2022-10-11 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Agree to all the above!

2022-10-11 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

WNC fans and CNC Mountain Ride Participants, here's the trailer for a new Amazon Prime series filmed in Marshall, NC.

That was filmed in Marshall??? 

2022-10-11 2:53 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

This is Marshall.

Marshall, NC

We rode our bikes over that bridge.

2022-10-11 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

This is Marshall.

Marshall, NC

We rode our bikes over that bridge.

Yes we did!

2022-10-14 8:38 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 15-16
Leanne - Ironman NC 70.3
Robin P - White Squirrel Classic 24 ride
Janyne - White Squirrel Classic 100k ride

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2022-10-14 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

October 15-16
Leanne - Ironman NC 70.3

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Yay - racing Manatees and a mini Manatee meet-up!! Good luck to all and have fun! 

2022-10-14 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Good luck racers! I'm hoping to actually do something this weekend--maybe a short run and bike ride. The issue now isn't Covid (pretty much over it except for some residual stuffiness--my sinuses are't good at the best of times), but the smoke. We are still having unseasonably warm, dry weather (as in sunny and highs in low 80's; very NOT normal for October here) and the wildfires that normally end in early Sept. are still burning. Most mornings our usual fog is joined by a deathly pall of smoke that sometimes thins by afternoon and sometimes doesn't. Ugh. Many days the kids cannot have outdoor recess although it's sunny and warm. This has been going on periodically since August 1, when the fire started.

We have now had major fires close enough to affect our air quality three years out of the past five (2018, 2020, 2022). In all the years I lived here (I almost always came home in summer) since age 17, I think that happened only once before 2018. Ugh.
2022-10-14 10:01 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

October 15-16
Leanne - Ironman NC 70.3

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Good luck racers and have a blast!

2022-10-14 4:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Racing Manatees!!!

October 15-16
Leanne - Ironman NC 70.3

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Thanks everyone!

Looking forward to hearing about the White Squirrel ride in Brevard!
2022-10-15 1:12 PM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Expert
Good luck racers!
2022-10-15 2:18 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations Leanne!

First in age group! Wow!

2022-10-15 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations Leanne!

First in age group! Wow!

Way to go!!

2022-10-16 10:00 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Racing Manatees!!!

October 15-16
Leanne - Ironman NC 70.3

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

I think I mentally checked-out after my Sprint Triathlon two weeks ago.  October races are usually the end of the Season for me and I usually take a month off before starting my Winter Maintenance indoor training plans.  This year I have a Marathon in December so last week I hit a 14 mile long run and this week the plan was a 16 mile long run.  I have been hitting the runs, but missing all my swims and only completing about half of my bike work outs.  Hmm?  I guess when I know I don't have any more races with a swim or a bike that It is hard to push hard in those disciplines.   That are actually really important my Marathon training plan though.  Without them I am not getting the volume that I need.  The long run this week was a good one though.  I joined another guy in my running club on Saturday that was doing a 17 mile run with Quantity (5) one-mile surges it it.  He did the first three a little slower than my tempo runs so they weren't too bad but he did the last two at my 10K race pace.  It was pretty crazy running 10K race pace (sub 6:00 min/mi for me) in the middle of a 17-mile run.  I enjoyed it though. It reminded me of some of the Triathlon training I have done that puts all the running speed work into the long run or brick runs where there aren't enough training sessions in a week to get to everything if they aren't combined in to fewer number of run.

2022-10-17 4:33 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Congratulations Leanne!

First in age group! Wow!

Thank you so much!

WOW! I am not sure what to say. I am still a little shocked that I not only PR'd but I placed first in my age group. The top 5 in my age group went under 5 hours.

I took my slot for World's which will be next Aug in Lahti, Finland. I had not even dreamed that I would ever get the chance to get a slot so it had to be a quick decision. While I don't really feel I am at that level to compete with those ladies in my AG I figure it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and I will most likely never have the chance ever again. Plus, it will make for a nice trip!
2022-10-17 7:03 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Racing Manatees!!!

October 15-16
Leanne - Ironman NC 70.3

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

I think I mentally checked-out after my Sprint Triathlon two weeks ago.  October races are usually the end of the Season for me and I usually take a month off before starting my Winter Maintenance indoor training plans.  This year I have a Marathon in December so last week I hit a 14 mile long run and this week the plan was a 16 mile long run.  I have been hitting the runs, but missing all my swims and only completing about half of my bike work outs.  Hmm?  I guess when I know I don't have any more races with a swim or a bike that It is hard to push hard in those disciplines.   That are actually really important my Marathon training plan though.  Without them I am not getting the volume that I need.  The long run this week was a good one though.  I joined another guy in my running club on Saturday that was doing a 17 mile run with Quantity (5) one-mile surges it it.  He did the first three a little slower than my tempo runs so they weren't too bad but he did the last two at my 10K race pace.  It was pretty crazy running 10K race pace (sub 6:00 min/mi for me) in the middle of a 17-mile run.  I enjoyed it though. It reminded me of some of the Triathlon training I have done that puts all the running speed work into the long run or brick runs where there aren't enough training sessions in a week to get to everything if they aren't combined in to fewer number of run.

Hang in there. I'm sure that you'll be able to make the mental shift for this marathon plan. 

2022-10-17 7:04 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001

Congratulations Leanne!

First in age group! Wow!

Thank you so much! WOW! I am not sure what to say. I am still a little shocked that I not only PR'd but I placed first in my age group. The top 5 in my age group went under 5 hours. I took my slot for World's which will be next Aug in Lahti, Finland. I had not even dreamed that I would ever get the chance to get a slot so it had to be a quick decision. While I don't really feel I am at that level to compete with those ladies in my AG I figure it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and I will most likely never have the chance ever again. Plus, it will make for a nice trip!

What a group we have!  Possible Manatee Meetup in Finland?

2022-10-17 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

A month or so ago, I was listening to a gravel podcast, https://www.cycology.fm/, and they were talking about SBT GRVL.  The actual podcast was Formula One Superstar Valtteri Bottas Gets Into the Gravel Racing Business.  I was like whatever but I like to listen to podcasts when I am on a long drive and the interviewer is good.  Well, it turns out that SBT gravel is working with Bottas to host a gravel event in, wait for it, Lahti, Finland -- FNLD GRVL.

Also, Bottas's better half is Tiffany Cromwell  who is in the woman's pro peloton.

Oh, and they talked about a Netflix series called Drive to Survive which I had never heard of but put on my iPad to watch on the plan to/from France. I got through season one on the plan and I'm up to season four now.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 29102 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93