BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-03-15 4:46 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by JBacarella I want to apologize to the group. In an earlier post I used the phrase "Netflix and chill." I did not know this was a sexual reference, until one of my daughters pointed it out with all of the subtlety of a baseball bat. I am sorry I wrote this. I remember back in the old days that chill meant to relax, and had no real idea it meant something else in that phrase. I am sorry for writing this in one of my posts.

I didn't know that phrase either!!

2020-03-15 5:04 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella I want to apologize to the group. In an earlier post I used the phrase "Netflix and chill." I did not know this was a sexual reference, until one of my daughters pointed it out with all of the subtlety of a baseball bat. I am sorry I wrote this. I remember back in the old days that chill meant to relax, and had no real idea it meant something else in that phrase. I am sorry for writing this in one of my posts.

I thought it meant watch some movies and relax. Evidently things have changed!
2020-03-15 5:07 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Expert
Illinois
So this afternoon the Governor announced that all bars and restaurants in Illinois will be closed starting Monday at midnight and remain closed through March 30. Can still get carry out, curbside and delivery. My daughter's BF works for a pizza restaurant, he is very concerned about the state of affairs.
2020-03-15 5:10 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by abake

i was today old when I learned that there was another meaning.
2020-03-15 5:11 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by abakeSo this afternoon the Governor announced that all bars and restaurants in Illinois will be closed starting Monday at midnight and remain closed through March 30. Can still get carry out, curbside and delivery. My daughter's BF works for a pizza restaurant, he is very concerned about the state of affairs.
I am too.
2020-03-15 5:34 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm 99.9% certain that everyone in the Pod understood the meaning that you wanted to convey.

2020-03-15 5:35 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake So this afternoon the Governor announced that all bars and restaurants in Illinois will be closed starting Monday at midnight and remain closed through March 30. Can still get carry out, curbside and delivery. My daughter's BF works for a pizza restaurant, he is very concerned about the state of affairs.

I've been extra tipping all service workers this week. They could be hit hard.

2020-03-15 5:36 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I so glad that we have our community here!

2020-03-15 5:45 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Looks like I am going to be doing a lot of cooking! No problem--I love to cook, if I have time and not tired from work, which is going to be a non-issue for a while. As long as we stay healthy, I can put up with anything, pretty much.
2020-03-15 6:36 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master

Originally posted by ceilidh

i was today old when I learned that there was another meaning.

Me too. Certainly no offense taken!

2020-03-15 6:40 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Cluster-fagoozie. Thats what this is. Major universities here have all gone to online only no later than Wednesday of this coming week.  My college is cutting in person on Mar 20 at the latest (we have very small classes). Still planning on in person exams starting April 14, but that may change. Not sure how we are going to deliver our lab content, but we shall see. My city is closing all rec centers, pools, libraries etc as of end of business today. We keep getting told by our Provincial Med Officer that it is still safe to be out and about, just mind social distancing etc, but then why is everything closing? This is so crazy and surreal....

2020-03-15 7:55 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Libraries and pools also closed here. School closed with no warning--we got a notice Thursday saying all sports and assemblies were shut down; sent kids home with that. Friday was a scheduled teacher workday (no kiddos). The governor closed the schools around 4 AM on Friday. So kids were sent home without I-pads, books, etc. Also wish I'd had some kind of warning on the library! We had not stocked up....

I don't know if they have them in Canada or elsewhere in the US, but we have something called "Little Free Libraries" (little wooden cases with used books that neighbors exchange) scattered throughout neighborhoods in our town, including two within 5-10 minutes walk of our house. There is a really big one on one of my running routes and I promised Mom I would check it out later this week if that's still feasible.

I actually went (armed with disinfectant wipes) and checked out a few today; dropped off some of our used books and picked up some new ones. They have been wiped down and are now waiting on the "quarantine shelf" to be read later. Desperate times....
2020-03-15 7:59 PM

Was super happy to see our rec center listed as closing on Monday. Called them up and they were open today, so I got one last swim in before it shuts down. And there were hardly any people there. Win win.
2020-03-15 9:37 PM

User image

Expert
All of my kids are 100% on line including exams. Michigan State is delaying graduation for dd#2 waiting for Tulane to decide what they are going to do. DD#2 said she is good with it, sh is going to graduate again in 4 years. The worst hit in my son. He had a good freshman year and after three days misses college. Exams and labs are all on line. I am impressed that Michigan State was able to switch to 100% on line in 24 hours.
My wife was informed that she is going to work at home, but if the need additional help at the hospital they may have her come in, in a support capacity.
2020-03-16 4:29 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Libraries and pools also closed here. School closed with no warning--we got a notice Thursday saying all sports and assemblies were shut down; sent kids home with that. Friday was a scheduled teacher workday (no kiddos). The governor closed the schools around 4 AM on Friday. So kids were sent home without I-pads, books, etc. Also wish I'd had some kind of warning on the library! We had not stocked up....

I don't know if they have them in Canada or elsewhere in the US, but we have something called "Little Free Libraries" (little wooden cases with used books that neighbors exchange) scattered throughout neighborhoods in our town, including two within 5-10 minutes walk of our house. There is a really big one on one of my running routes and I promised Mom I would check it out later this week if that's still feasible.

I actually went (armed with disinfectant wipes) and checked out a few today; dropped off some of our used books and picked up some new ones. They have been wiped down and are now waiting on the "quarantine shelf" to be read later. Desperate times....

That is a great idea, we have some of the Little Free Libraries right here!
2020-03-16 7:31 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerLibraries and pools also closed here. School closed with no warning--we got a notice Thursday saying all sports and assemblies were shut down; sent kids home with that. Friday was a scheduled teacher workday (no kiddos). The governor closed the schools around 4 AM on Friday. So kids were sent home without I-pads, books, etc. Also wish I'd had some kind of warning on the library! We had not stocked up.... I don't know if they have them in Canada or elsewhere in the US, but we have something called "Little Free Libraries" (little wooden cases with used books that neighbors exchange) scattered throughout neighborhoods in our town, including two within 5-10 minutes walk of our house. There is a really big one on one of my running routes and I promised Mom I would check it out later this week if that's still feasible. I actually went (armed with disinfectant wipes) and checked out a few today; dropped off some of our used books and picked up some new ones. They have been wiped down and are now waiting on the "quarantine shelf" to be read later. Desperate times....
our little town has 3 of them. We just built one for our cottages, the bad thing about that one (for us) is it is all our books.

2020-03-16 7:35 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by Hot RunnerLibraries and pools also closed here. School closed with no warning--we got a notice Thursday saying all sports and assemblies were shut down; sent kids home with that. Friday was a scheduled teacher workday (no kiddos). The governor closed the schools around 4 AM on Friday. So kids were sent home without I-pads, books, etc. Also wish I'd had some kind of warning on the library! We had not stocked up.... I don't know if they have them in Canada or elsewhere in the US, but we have something called "Little Free Libraries" (little wooden cases with used books that neighbors exchange) scattered throughout neighborhoods in our town, including two within 5-10 minutes walk of our house. There is a really big one on one of my running routes and I promised Mom I would check it out later this week if that's still feasible. I actually went (armed with disinfectant wipes) and checked out a few today; dropped off some of our used books and picked up some new ones. They have been wiped down and are now waiting on the "quarantine shelf" to be read later. Desperate times....
our little town has 3 of them. We just built one for our cottages, the bad thing about that one (for us) is it is all our books.
We have a few of them in my neighborhood, but I never remember that they are there since I’ve gone exclusively to audiobooks from my county library.
2020-03-16 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I shared this with a few of you on Facebook already but...

Endurance Nation is hosting a Facebook Live session this Wednesday at noon eastern:

Triathlon Training During Covid-19 AMA with Coach Patrick

https://www.facebook.com/endurancenation/

I thought that some of you might be interested. I'll try to attend and share the info with the Pod as well.

2020-03-16 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

We have a few of them in my neighborhood, but I never remember that they are there since I’ve gone exclusively to audiobooks from my county library.

I got my mom Audible for her chemo treatments and she has discovered that they have a few daily news ones that she loves. Her treatments have had her waking up in the middle of the night for an hour or so and and she listens to them then. If she falls asleep, no biggie (or else they've done their job).

2020-03-16 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
2020-03-16 8:38 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

Ironman updates

https://www.ironman.com/updates

I expect this part if of the most interest to our Pod:

• Postponement:  Registered athletes for events that are postponed due to COVID-19 by the local health authorities are automatically transferred to the rescheduled date. For those that the new date does not work, we will allow deferrals into the same event the next year.
  • Cancellation: Registered athletes for events that are cancelled due to COVID-19 by the local health authorities are automatically deferred to the same race in 2021.
  • Other options: We are vetting other options to allow displaced athletes to race in 2020 and will communicate those in due course.

This is definitely of interest.  For myself, I'd be concerned doing Choo later into the summer (heat).  It's been proven long distance races and I don't get along in the heat.  For sure it would take some consideration to do it on their postponed date or defer to next year.

2020-03-16 8:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

I so glad that we have our community here!

Yes, I'm going to need my Manatees to help me keep my sanity.  I've been mandated to work remotely for 3 weeks (so far) and travel is 'forbidden', even domestically lest we get 'caught' and put into a mandatory 14 day quarantine.  However, they didn't specify a distance restriction for travel (not that I have plans to go anywhere at the moment).  Over the weekend I traveled no farther than 20 minutes from my house, hopefully that would be fine.  They are starting to roll out closures of rec centers, any events, restaurants, bars, etc. (unless it is a drive through/take out restaurant).  So far it is only in the hardest hit counties, one of which is not mine yet, but I'm sure it's coming.  The libraries are already closed, as are schools of all levels.  Interesting times we are living in.  Police were called to one of our local grocery stores for a fist fight. 

Edited by melbo55 2020-03-16 8:57 AM
2020-03-16 8:58 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Ironman updates

• Postponement:  Registered athletes for events that are postponed due to COVID-19 by the local health authorities are automatically transferred to the rescheduled date. For those that the new date does not work, we will allow deferrals into the same event the next year.
  • Cancellation: Registered athletes for events that are cancelled due to COVID-19 by the local health authorities are automatically deferred to the same race in 2021.
  • Other options: We are vetting other options to allow displaced athletes to race in 2020 and will communicate those in due course.

This is definitely of interest.  For myself, I'd be concerned doing Choo later into the summer (heat).  It's been proven long distance races and I don't get along in the heat.  For sure it would take some consideration to do it on their postponed date or defer to next year.

Well, that's the thing. We pick events based on dates.  Changing the date, changes the conditions and the race may not meet our needs for that or other reasons.  That being said, I don't know if the events that I selected for 2020 are the events that I want to do in 2021. It's a big mess, that's for sure. 

Right now, I'm assuming that everything is canceled for the next eight weeks based on the CDC's statement. "The CDC recommends people avoid crowds of 50 or more for the next eight weeks."  Chattanooga 70.3 is in nine weeks.

FWIW, almost every single WTC event for which changes have been announces have been "postponed."  I don't know if postponed for real or postponed as in it's not happening on the original date and we haven't figured things out yet.

2020-03-16 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Ironman updates

Well, that's the thing. We pick events based on dates.  Changing the date, changes the conditions and the race may not meet our needs for that or other reasons.  That being said, I don't know if the events that I selected for 2020 are the events that I want to do in 2021. It's a big mess, that's for sure. 

Right now, I'm assuming that everything is canceled for the next eight weeks based on the CDC's statement. "The CDC recommends people avoid crowds of 50 or more for the next eight weeks."  Chattanooga 70.3 is in nine weeks.

FWIW, almost every single WTC event for which changes have been announces have been "postponed."  I don't know if postponed for real or postponed as in it's not happening on the original date and we haven't figured things out yet.

Yep. All the big marathons that were postponed got rescheduled to the fall! I imagine some of WTC races will do that, however,  (if choo ca ncels)Choo may be difficult since they already have the full in the fall. Plus, I agree, with other races on the books already squeezing in a late summer, early fall Choo could be problematic.  I'd really like an early cancel announcement for Choo so i can stop swimming as soon as possible  

2020-03-16 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ironman updates

Yep. All the big marathons that were postponed got rescheduled to the fall! I imagine some of WTC races will do that, however,  (if choo ca ncels)Choo may be difficult since they already have the full in the fall. Plus, I agree, with other races on the books already squeezing in a late summer, early fall Choo could be problematic.  I'd really like an early cancel announcement for Choo so i can stop swimming as soon as possible  

Agreed.  I know that they have a big mess on their hands but an early cancel announcement would definitely be appreciated.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127