General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you just have "it" or not? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-05-24 10:21 AM
in reply to: #814012

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Do you just have "it" or not?

All I know is that I'm 0 for 2 qualifying for Boston.  I ran it with an invitation entry and tried to run a qualfying time...no dice.  The second time...no dice.  So even though I can jog a 7:15 mile....I can't slap 26 back to back.

Just saying.  :P

2007-05-24 10:22 AM
in reply to: #815108

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

Well, there's at least 20,348 highly talented runners out there, since that's the total number of finishers from this year.  The number of actual entrants was even higher.

Only 400 per state in the US.  Out of how many mary finishers in the last year?  Maybe that's not completely valid, but I want to make the point that while your number sounds like a lot, it's actually not IMHO.  It's Boston, it's the cream of the marathon running community by definition.

2007-05-24 10:28 AM
in reply to: #815059

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
amiine - 2007-05-24 9:58 AM

I think we all agree that reaching an elite level DOES requires talent/genetics/It or whatever we should call it + lots of hard work so it is pointless to bring that up to the discussion.

But in gist of the OP he was talking about top AGers and I think it is what JK, Daremo, etc and I are making reference; to the type of fitness required to bring you close to the top 10% of your AG. Those who believe to be doomed to be BOP will stay there IMO cuz they don’t want to do the work and/or have the time to make IT happen.

Let’s take The Bear as an example; as far as I know you started tri-ing a few years ago (3-4) and your background wasn’t all that active. Now you place top in your AG and are among the few BTers able to ride 24+ mph on sprints/Olys. The questions is, do you just have IT or does riding LOTS (400+ Mi a month) helped you get there? And we find many examples of that in BT all the time. I guy I am coaching ran his 1st marathon in 5:25 hrs and his 2nd in 5:20hrs. 3 years later he BQ by running 3:09 hrs. Does he have IT or does the training he did every year plus the intense work we did for the past 6 months (build to 200 Mi a month) helped?

All I am saying is that for most of us around here the sky is the limit and the biggest limiter to reach our athletic goals is our mind. If we REALLY want to we CAN improve LOTS our triathlon performance. The question is: are we willing to do all the hard work and be patient enough until it happens or do we have other life priorities and becoming fast at races is not that important?

I tend to agree with the importance of the mental component.  When a workout hurts for example, are you looking at that suffering as suckitude or as stretching your limits to improvement down the road?  There are folks that might look at a blow up as a step back or failure when it can be an important lesson to success down the road.  Does a pro who continues to race on the brink of complete breakdown or with a broken bone or whatever have a genetic advantage or is it drive?  I think to try and distill it down to you have 'It' or not makes it seem that this magical element is one thing only.  Genetics?  Maybe.  Drive? Definitely.  Mental attitude? You betcha.  Working hard?  Working smart?  Just seems from these posts that there is a helluva lot that you can do to better your position in the pack, if it is a priority to you (and it doesnt need to be).  I am still dumb enough to think I can overcome a bigger frame to compete someday vs the fleas out there.  Until I can tell myself there is nothing more I can do to get where I want to be and improve, I will keep believing that and chugging away.  And it sure as heck aint genetics cuz my family is about as unathletic as they come.

2007-05-24 10:28 AM
in reply to: #815108

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Scout7 - 2007-05-24 10:16 AM

To run a single mile at 7:26, I agree, doesn't require much natural talent. To have the running efficiency, biomechanics, fueling and aerobic capacity to hold that pace for 26 and 2 does.

Well, there's at least 20,348 highly talented runners out there, since that's the total number of finishers from this year.  The number of actual entrants was even higher.

Out of nearly 400,000 marathon finishes in 2006, so I'm not exactly sure what your point is. The small percentage (~5%) seems to support the need for at least some level of "natural talent" to BQ.

Edited by the bear 2007-05-24 10:29 AM
2007-05-24 10:31 AM
in reply to: #815120

User image

Runner
morey1 - 2007-05-24 11:22 AM

Well, there's at least 20,348 highly talented runners out there, since that's the total number of finishers from this year. The number of actual entrants was even higher.

Only 400 per state in the US. Out of how many mary finishers in the last year? Maybe that's not completely valid, but I want to make the point that while your number sounds like a lot, it's actually not IMHO. It's Boston, it's the cream of the marathon running community by definition.

And out of how many people who completed a marathon last year did so with the specific intention of qualifying for Boston?  Also, take away all the people who finished a marathon that is not a qualifying race, we get down a little further.

Boston is a challenge, no doubt.  It's supposed to be.  But it's an attainable goal.  It requires sweat, and time, and commitment.  Some people have no interest in it.  OK, no problem.  But I honestly believe that it is an attainable goal for the majority of people out there.  Even Dan.

2007-05-24 10:36 AM
in reply to: #815140

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Scout7 - 2007-05-24 10:31 AM

Boston is a challenge, no doubt.  It's supposed to be.  But it's an attainable goal.  It requires sweat, and time, and commitment.  Some people have no interest in it.  OK, no problem.  But I honestly believe that it is an attainable goal for the majority of people out there.  Even Dan.

"Majority" is backing way off from your previous assessment that "anyone can qualify." I would tend to believe "majority" is accurate, and think that might even play into the setting of the standards. But that's a looooong way from "anyone."

2007-05-24 10:40 AM
in reply to: #815150

User image

Runner
the bear - 2007-05-24 11:36 AM
Scout7 - 2007-05-24 10:31 AM

Boston is a challenge, no doubt. It's supposed to be. But it's an attainable goal. It requires sweat, and time, and commitment. Some people have no interest in it. OK, no problem. But I honestly believe that it is an attainable goal for the majority of people out there. Even Dan.

"Majority" is backing way off from your previous assessment that "anyone can qualify." I would tend to believe "majority" is accurate, and think that might even play into the setting of the standards. But that's a looooong way from "anyone."

I say majority, because I am discounting those who have obvious impediments (i.e. some form of disability or disqualification), which I also did in my previous post. 

2007-05-24 10:41 AM
in reply to: #815115

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
sebjamesm - 2007-05-24 11:20 AM

JohnnyKay - 2007-05-24 10:07 AM
\C'mon. The Olympics have "elite" qualifying standards. Boston has "mass" qualifying standards. There's no comparison. Look at the average pace you need to run to BQ. Mine is 7:26/mi. That's simply not fast by running standards. It's not easy to do for many people. But it doesn't require much natural talent.

You really think that's within grasp of your everyman athlete as long as they put in the time and effort?

I do, and I'm gonna give it a try next year (if the knee holds up) -- so I'll let you know. Of course, since I'll be attempting to qualify for the 50 year old standard, I've "only" got to run a 3:35 -- about 8:12/mile.

But given a good plan, proper training and dedication I don't see why I can't do it, and I certainly consider myself pretty average.
2007-05-24 10:48 AM
in reply to: #815115

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
sebjamesm - 2007-05-24 10:20 AM
JohnnyKay - 2007-05-24 10:07 AM\C'mon.  The Olympics have "elite" qualifying standards.  Boston has "mass" qualifying standards.  There's no comparison.  Look at the average pace you need to run to BQ.  Mine is 7:26/mi.  That's simply not fast by running standards.  It's not easy to do for many people.  But it doesn't require much natural talent.

You really think that's within grasp of your everyman athlete as long as they put in the time and effort?
I think most M35-39 with several years of consistent running under their belt and working diligently on improving their body comp can do it, yes.
2007-05-24 10:53 AM
in reply to: #815137

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
the bear - 2007-05-24 10:28 AM
Scout7 - 2007-05-24 10:16 AM

To run a single mile at 7:26, I agree, doesn't require much natural talent. To have the running efficiency, biomechanics, fueling and aerobic capacity to hold that pace for 26 and 2 does.

Out of nearly 400,000 marathon finishes in 2006, so I'm not exactly sure what your point is. The small percentage (~5%) seems to support the need for at least some level of "natural talent" to BQ.

How many of those nearly 400,000 finishers even care about trying to BQ? Most have them have a goal of merely surviving 26.2. I continue to believe it takes committment, not talent (of course having the latter will make things much easier).
2007-05-24 10:55 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

just like everything else in life, ability follows the bell curve. Few at the top, most in the middle, few at the bottom... and just like advancing your educational position on the curve through hard work and determination, so too can you advance your athletic ability on that curve.

I have seen the results first hand.. not blazing fast results, but two years ago I was a 4 hour marathoner. I did Chicago last year in 3:19. Last year I did a 6:43 HIM. This year, same course, I did a 5:20. I don't have 'it'. Few people do. What I did do though, is a lot of hard work to get to where I am now.

Edited by atl_runner 2007-05-24 10:57 AM

2007-05-24 10:57 AM
in reply to: #815093

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
morey1 - 2007-05-24 10:09 AM

amiine - 2007-05-24 9:58 AM

I think we all agree that reaching an elite level DOES requires talent/genetics/It or whatever we should call it + lots of hard work so it is pointless to bring that up to the discussion.

But in gist of the OP he was talking about top AGers and I think it is what JK, Daremo, etc and I are making reference; to the type of fitness required to bring you close to the top 10% of your AG. Those who believe to be doomed to be BOP will stay there IMO cuz they don’t want to do the work and/or have the time to make IT happen.

Let’s take The Bear as an example; as far as I know you started tri-ing a few years ago (3-4) and your background wasn’t all that active. Now you place top in your AG and are among the few BTers able to ride 24+ mph on sprints/Olys. The questions is, do you just have IT or does riding LOTS (400+ Mi a month) helped you get there? And we find many examples of that in BT all the time. I guy I am coaching ran his 1st marathon in 5:25 hrs and his 2nd in 5:20hrs. 3 years later he BQ by running 3:09 hrs. Does he have IT or does the training he did every year plus the intense work we did for the past 6 months (build to 200 Mi a month) helped?

All I am saying is that for most of us around here the sky is the limit and the biggest limiter to reach our athletic goals is our mind. If we REALLY want to we CAN improve LOTS our triathlon performance. The question is: are we willing to do all the hard work and be patient enough until it happens or do we have other life priorities and becoming fast at races is not that important?

AWESOME!!!!  Congrats to your client.  This is the post the OP was probably looking for in the first place.  An inspriational story of a MOPer made good.

Right on, Morey! To me, that's the proof in the pudding to making the argument that training/will/guts/whatever you want to call it can overcome whatever natural limitations you may have.

Again, where are the stories of people who slogged it out in the MOP for considerable time while putting in a reasonable amount of training who then, through sheer determination/coaching/ramping up training volume/what have you rocketed up into the top 10% of their AG?
That's real proof to me it can be done. That is what I would find inspiring.

The thing is, after 3 years of decent raining and finishing MOP, I have really made a determined effort to ramp up my training volume over the past 6 months, do my LSD, watch what I eat, and do the right things to improve. Based on my first race this season, I would say I made some slight improvements, but nothing that would indicate I'm on a path to ever hope to achieve a top 10% AG finish. Now you might say give it time, but I'm just looking for a bone here. That said, I am happy to know I am improving on my past performances and I'm encouraged to kep building on that.

Another thing about the "IT" people just having more determination to train. I think there comes a point when it's a lot easier to want to put in the time-- and ramp it up-- when you are seeing real results and have enough of "IT" to KNOW that you can compete at a very high level. That's certainly been my experience in other sports. Desire feeds off ability and vice versa.
2007-05-24 11:04 AM
in reply to: #815191

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Right on, Morey! 

I will suggest you hire a coach.  I hired a coach for a short-term effort to PR a half-mary.  I did, but did not reach my ultimate time goal.  I think I hired the coach about 3-weeks too late.   But in the process I could feel myself improving at running.

It was partly a test for myself.  I wanted to see if I could take direction and open my mind to doing stuff I wouldn't normally do.  It worked phenomenally, and I'm sure with a long-term view a coach would really help me.  Pick a race that's out a ways and hire a coach for that time, and see what happens.  Worst-case is You'll learn a ton.

Or become a performance member here on BT.

Edited by morey1 2007-05-24 11:06 AM
2007-05-24 11:06 AM

User image

Runner

Do I have "it"?  I have won one race in my entire life, a cross country race in HS, and that's because our coach made our #1 man run 7 miles the day before the race.  I have managed to place in my AG a total of twice, and the last one was a race that consisted of 6 people, and only one other person in my AG (so I technically placed last in my AG).

I want to BQ this year.  I have picked a race that I feel will maximize my opportunity to do so, and have been running 40-50+ miles/week, and have a plan that will cap my weekly mileage at over 80.  If I have any natural talent, it's an ability to take physical abuse.  I am not naturally fast by any stretch.  I'm just stubborn. 

2007-05-24 11:07 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
scoobysdad - 2007-05-24 10:57 AMRight on, Morey! To me, that's the proof in the pudding to making the argument that training/will/guts/whatever you want to call it can overcome whatever natural limitations you may have.Again, where are the stories of people who slogged it out in the MOP for considerable time while putting in a reasonable amount of training who then, through sheer determination/coaching/ramping up training volume/what have you rocketed up into the top 10% of their AG?That's real proof to me it can be done. That is what I would find inspiring.The thing is, after 3 years of decent raining and finishing MOP, I have really made a determined effort to ramp up my training volume over the past 6 months, do my LSD, watch what I eat, and do the right things to improve. Based on my first race this season, I would say I made some slight improvements, but nothing that would indicate I'm on a path to ever hope to achieve a top 10% AG finish. Now you might say give it time, but I'm just looking for a bone here. That said, I am happy to know I am improving on my past performances and I'm encouraged to kep building on that.Another thing about the "IT" people just having more determination to train. I think there comes a point when it's a lot easier to want to put in the time-- and ramp it up-- when you are seeing real results and have enough of "IT" to KNOW that you can compete at a very high level. That's certainly been my experience in other sports. Desire feeds off ability and vice versa.
So, define 3 years of "decent" training. Define the "ramp up" in your training volume. What have you done to improve? What have you focused on?Unless you're already near your limits (which isn't possible given your stated background), anyone will see improvement if they do the work. How would you even know if you had "it" or not?

Edited by JohnnyKay 2007-05-24 11:11 AM
2007-05-24 11:14 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

MY old boss who owns the bike shop I (used to work at) frequent was telling me about the Giant rep. that used to cover our territory and how he got an invitation from the T-Mobile group to come and take part in the ir early season training camp.  The guy was a decent Cat. 2 out of California, so he certainly wasn't some slow poke.

And you know what he said?  That day in and day out they would get up, hop on their bikes as a team and go out for anywhere from 110 - 150 mile rides.  And they barely ever cracked 17 or 18 mph.  Just good, consistent training day in and day out.  The rep. said that the first few days weren't bad, but by the 4th he was regretting his decision.  But he kept at it.

My point is that even the pros just get out there and put the easy miles in because that is what they have to do.  THAT is why they are fast, not purely genetics.

2007-05-24 11:16 AM
in reply to: #815203

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
morey1 - 2007-05-24 11:04 AM
Right on, Morey! 

I will suggest you hire a coach.  I hired a coach for a short-term effort to PR a half-mary.  I did, but did not reach my ultimate time goal.  I think I hired the coach about 3-weeks too late.   But in the process I could feel myself improving at running.

It was partly a test for myself.  I wanted to see if I could take direction and open my mind to doing stuff I wouldn't normally do.  It worked phenomenally, and I'm sure with a long-term view a coach would really help me.  Pick a race that's out a ways and hire a coach for that time, and see what happens.  Worst-case is You'll learn a ton.

Or become a performance member here on BT.

Scoob, I would also recommend cutting out all those sports with high propensity for ankle-a-twistin'.    (if getting where ya want to be in tri is a high priority)

2007-05-24 11:37 AM
in reply to: #815205

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
JohnnyKay - 2007-05-24 11:07 AM

So, define 3 years of "decent" training. Define the "ramp up" in your training volume. What have you done to improve? What have you focused on?Unless you're already near your limits (which isn't possible given your stated background), anyone will see improvement if they do the work. How would you even know if you had "it" or not?

In my prep for my first HIM, I have been putting in 8 - 13 hour weeks, focusing on more LSD. In my first 3 years, I was doing only sprints and Oly's, and my runs were more of the 35 - min. variety. Now I'm following a BT HIM plan, and I usually have one weekly run of at least the 2-hour variety.

I realize this sort of training will not get me to Top 10% of my AG. And as I stated I have seen improvements. But the fact is, I just finished 123/168 in my AG-- a little worse than I've fared in the past. True, I had a disastrous run at this particular race. But even with a run i know I'm capable of right now I might have finished 105/168. That's not real inspiring for any hope of ever finishing Top 10%. That's just being realistic.

I suspect I do not have "IT" for this sport because I was always a slower kid growing up, always struggled with windsprints, runs around the field, etc. in comparison to other kids. I could always make up for these deficiencies in other sports by having very good hand-eye coordination and through lots of extra practice. In this sport, those deficiencies are impossible to cover up.

As further evidence, I know people who have come to this sport later than I did, put in less training than I do, and yet still finish significantly faster. Thanks to BT, I can also look at the logs of others and see plenty of people who work less and perform better.

I also think part of the "IT" factor is having the sheer natural ability to put in more training time. Right now, I simply couldn't put in more time because my workouts leave me exhausted, sore and in need of recovery. I suspect part of "IT" is the ability to recover faster tahn others. Some of that surely comes with better fitness, but I think it's also in large part genetic.

2007-05-24 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

I am on the side of train hard and want it more, and you will get there.  It may take longer for some than others becasue of their background, but you can't exect to pick up a sport and in only a short period of time, be putting up numbers like those who have been at it since they were kids.

My example - my first Marathon (4 years ago) - 5:16 - 12:00/mile, my 1/2 marathon this past weekend - 1:38 - 7:30/mile.  My first Tri 2 years ago (.5 swim , 21 bike, 5.3 run)- finished 309/463 overall in 2:20, this year, I am expecting to be at 1:50 and should be in the top 50 OA (out of ~500) and should be able to place in, if not win my AG.

While I may never get to ELITE status, I am sure going to damn well bust my butt to get there.

Edited by benihana 2007-05-24 12:07 PM
2007-05-24 12:01 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Scoob,

Short answer:  No, I don't have "it."  (Never did, and doubt I ever will.

Part of it is desire, priority, whatever.  I don't need AG hardware to validate myself, so it's hard for me to dedicate the time and energy needed for a FOP race when I have other things that I am willing to work towards.  Could I?  Maybe. 

Training for my HIM last year was a great experience.  The additional volume made shorter races alot more fun, but I was "faster" (at least for short races) when I ran 3.75 miles all-out every day.  This year, I'm focusing on an OLY.  My volumes are down (part of the reason I decided against the HIM again) but my intensity is higher (particularly for running). 

(I guess what I'm saying is hang tough.  Training for a HIM won't necessarily show up as better finishing place for sprints, so don't look for it there.

2007-05-24 12:34 PM
in reply to: #815271

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

Right now, I simply couldn't put in more time because my workouts leave me exhausted, sore and in need of recovery. I suspect part of "IT" is the ability to recover faster tahn others. Some of that surely comes with better fitness, but I think it's also in large part genetic.

I highlighted this cuz I think it is pretty important.  By looking at your logs recently, you have made efforts to embrace more easy days but it seemed a lot in the past that your philosophy was to hammer everyday.  While there are folks with all kinds of training philosophies, there are many that have success with working on varying the tempos and work loads and not constantly training at the top end.  IMO, you should definitely not be exhausted, sore and in need of recovery from every workout.  This might be some of the issue and I think you will find easier days are essential to building a solid base that can handle the top end stuff better.  I dont claim to know anything more than anyone else here, but I just dont think beating yourself up every workout leads to high returns in the long run.  Also, I know a lot of this comes off a race in which you stated you hammered the bike and faded in the run (oh yeah, and its 20 degrees hotter than us Wisconsin folk are used to).  There should be some lessons in all of that which you can work to mitigate like results in the future.

2007-05-24 12:55 PM
in reply to: #815322

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Thanks for the interesting reading, folks. To summarize, I think we all agree that there is some degree of "IT" and it means different things to different people. In a perfect world - a training vacuum - we will find that athletes with drive and determination will be able to succeed, probably beyond their wildest dreams. But there is not doubt that some measure of "IT" takes place.

I've been running for less than a year. A year ago, I thought I wouldn't be able to run one mile. Last weekend I ran 10 miles, and felt like I could do more. A year ago, I said I wouldn't consider a half-mary and that's crazy. I'm running one next month. That's the determination part. However, my speed has increased from 10-10.5 minute miles to an astounding 10 minute miles for longer distances. I can barely eke out an 8.5 min/mile, but only for 2 miles runs. I haven't clocked my mile speed, but I think I could do sub-8 maybe.

Now, if someone out there thinks they can coach me to a BQ marathon, I'm willing to give it a try. But I don't think I have that measure of "IT". Well, maybe when I am about 65 (I'm 30 now) because the rate of improvement might eventually meet the BQ standard which is a lot easier for a 65 year old woman than a 30 yo. So I've got that going for me.
2007-05-24 1:06 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Anyway, since work today is slow (at least that's my excuse ) I put together a table of my annual training totals since I began my tri journey, with PRs for all 3 sports and some notes. I had no prior swim/bike/run experience beyond playing soccer for 10 years until the age of 17, after that I basically spend  the end of highschool, college and grad school partying/socializing, drinking, smoking and eating lots of crap!

Notes

Year

Annual Training Totals

PRs

Bike

Run

Swim

Swim 100

Bike split same Tri race

(15 miles) raced every year

Run 10K

1st year I began tri training on June

572.67 Mi - 37h 18m 01s

380.40 Mi - 49h 13m 56s

22300.00 Yd - 8h 17m 05s

1:40

19.01mph

46 min

Pace: 16.70 Mi/hr

Pace: 7m 46s Mi

Pace: 1m 42s /100 Yd 

I hired my coach on June but was stubborn and not followed all his advice 100%

2041.06 Mi - 149h 56m 39s

766.98 Mi - 109h 56m 07s

169923.40 Yd - 55h 39m 31s

1:25

21.62 mph

39:50 min

Pace: 17.37 Mi/hr

Pace: 7m 34s Mi

Pace: 1m 49s /100 Yd 

1st year following my coach's advice 100%. Due to health issues didn’t train Sept to Dec

3449.64 Mi - 209h 23m 18s

589.75 Mi - 88h 53m 33s

234651.00 Yd - 69h 55m 37s

1:10

24.07 mph

33:20 min

Pace: 17.69 Mi/hr

Pace: 7m 13s Mi

Pace: 1m 41s /100 Yd 

January to date

1287.64 Mi - 76h 10m 56s

343.15 Mi - 45h 45m 12s

200261.80 Yd - 54h 33m 14s

1:07

?

?

Pace: 18.04 Mi/hr

Pace: 6m 58s Mi

Pace: 1m 37s /100 Yd 

Do I just have IT or does training lots and smart works? Maybe a bit of both? The truth is that I might be a bit faster than some around here but I am still slow compared against many placing ahead of me. I am not sure how close I can get to the top, but I do know I am going to continue training LOTS to find out! My point: I think many could positively surprise theirselves of how far they can get with consistent training. 

I am sure we can find several examples around, so who else wanna share their data?

2007-05-24 1:16 PM
in reply to: #815456

User image

Runner

BikerGrrrl - 2007-05-24 1:55 PM I've been running for less than a year. A year ago, I thought I wouldn't be able to run one mile. Last weekend I ran 10 miles, and felt like I could do more. A year ago, I said I wouldn't consider a half-mary and that's crazy. I'm running one next month. That's the determination part. However, my speed has increased from 10-10.5 minute miles to an astounding 10 minute miles for longer distances. I can barely eke out an 8.5 min/mile, but only for 2 miles runs. I haven't clocked my mile speed, but I think I could do sub-8 maybe. Now, if someone out there thinks they can coach me to a BQ marathon, I'm willing to give it a try. But I don't think I have that measure of "IT". Well, maybe when I am about 65 (I'm 30 now) because the rate of improvement might eventually meet the BQ standard which is a lot easier for a 65 year old woman than a 30 yo. So I've got that going for me.

I'd be willing to bet that you could do it.  However, it would take probably 2-3 years, you would need to forgo triathlons to focus on running, and you would need to be able to commit to running, at some point, 50+ miles per week.  If you can agree to those commitments, then I'd say that you could BQ.

2007-05-24 1:37 PM
in reply to: #815490

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Scout7 - 2007-05-24 1:16 PM

BikerGrrrl - 2007-05-24 1:55 PM I've been running for less than a year. A year ago, I thought I wouldn't be able to run one mile. Last weekend I ran 10 miles, and felt like I could do more. A year ago, I said I wouldn't consider a half-mary and that's crazy. I'm running one next month. That's the determination part. However, my speed has increased from 10-10.5 minute miles to an astounding 10 minute miles for longer distances. I can barely eke out an 8.5 min/mile, but only for 2 miles runs. I haven't clocked my mile speed, but I think I could do sub-8 maybe. Now, if someone out there thinks they can coach me to a BQ marathon, I'm willing to give it a try. But I don't think I have that measure of "IT". Well, maybe when I am about 65 (I'm 30 now) because the rate of improvement might eventually meet the BQ standard which is a lot easier for a 65 year old woman than a 30 yo. So I've got that going for me.

I'd be willing to bet that you could do it. However, it would take probably 2-3 years, you would need to forgo triathlons to focus on running, and you would need to be able to commit to running, at some point, 50+ miles per week. If you can agree to those commitments, then I'd say that you could BQ.

x2.  I'm no coach and I think I could help get you there if you have the commitment and want it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you just have "it" or not? Rss Feed  

of 8