BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-10-14 11:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by popsracer

Any of you Southwesterners familiar with Monument Valley?  The 50k there looks like an amazing adventure.   

http://www.grandcircletrails.com/monument-valley-general-info/

We went through in March this year. It was spectacular!

...and windy, with dust clouds blowing through fast and often. I don't know if it's typical March weather, but might want to check on more than average temps. Sun is intense even in comfy March, and shade is found if you crawl under a tumbleweed

The formations from the floor are breathtaking, and I can just imagine the in-person view from atop Mitchell Mesa.

*If you planned to do it, Mexican Hat is an interesting little town located along San Juan River to stay the night before. About 20 miles away from MV.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-10-14 11:53 AM

(FB_IMG_1444835848200.jpg)

(FB_IMG_1444835857981.jpg)

(FB_IMG_1444835874208.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
FB_IMG_1444835848200.jpg (46KB - 4 downloads)
FB_IMG_1444835857981.jpg (36KB - 5 downloads)
FB_IMG_1444835874208.jpg (36KB - 5 downloads)

2015-10-14 11:50 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by Atlantia Podmates, I need some healing vibes for my grandma, please. She went into hospital over the weekend for intestinal blockage, and just went into surgery about an hour ago. She's been feeling pretty poorly for awhile, so we need the universe on her side. Thanks!!
thinking of your Gran Laura. Hopefully she is well out of surgery by now. To give you some hope my 80 year old (at the time) PA had a similar thing a few years ago he made a complete recovery, it took some time but he got better.

Any news? Definitely hoping things went well and a speedy recovery is in store! 

2015-10-14 11:55 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Originally posted by Richardsdrr With all the Cannuks in the ranks, feel like I should end all sentences with M'kay. Uhh, M'kay

Eh!

Thought that was a Canadian thing, or have I got that mixed up, like so much other stuff?

I think that Steve was saying that "eh" is a Canadian thing, eh?

2015-10-14 11:57 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi everyone! Thanks for the warm welcome!  

Yanti, i don' think i've been a Manatee before but we've definitely been in the same Mentor Group before! 

I meant to ride to work again today - pretty decent weather, at least for this time of year, but I didn't quite everything on the go in time. As some of you know, I have a two year old daughter so it can make for hectic mornings to get everyone out the door at a reasonable time. And i have a mental time cut-off for biking in as it just a bit more coordination.

Anyway, all is not lost. I have swimming tonight. I swim with the local tri club a couple of nights a week. I actually recently joined and am having the 'this is different from my old group' comparison issues. It's still good and I am keeping at it which is the important thing. 

How's everyone else's day?

2015-10-14 11:57 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Richardsdrr With all the Cannuks in the ranks, feel like I should end all sentences with M'kay. Uhh, M'kay

Eh!

Thought that was a Canadian thing, or have I got that mixed up, like so much other stuff?

Yes, it is - and we try really hard not to do it - but it's a habit, eh? :P

2015-10-14 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hi everyone! Thanks for the warm welcome!  

Yanti, i don' think i've been a Manatee before but we've definitely been in the same Mentor Group before! 

I meant to ride to work again today - pretty decent weather, at least for this time of year, but I didn't quite everything on the go in time. As some of you know, I have a two year old daughter so it can make for hectic mornings to get everyone out the door at a reasonable time. And i have a mental time cut-off for biking in as it just a bit more coordination.

Anyway, all is not lost. I have swimming tonight. I swim with the local tri club a couple of nights a week. I actually recently joined and am having the 'this is different from my old group' comparison issues. It's still good and I am keeping at it which is the important thing. 

How's everyone else's day?

A lot of folks here swim with masters swim groups or tri groups.  Some groups seem to be more helpful than others.  My group has been falling into the "others" category lately.  They have just be posting the workout and not providing any stroke correction feedback.  I generally like swimming at the aquatics center (the pool is great but I have to admit the locker room is awful) and the workouts are fine but I miss having the feedback.

2015-10-14 12:21 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Eh!

2015-10-14 12:27 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Any of you Southwesterners familiar with Monument Valley?  The 50k there looks like an amazing adventure.   

...and windy, with dust clouds blowing through fast and often. I don't know if it's typical March weather, but might want to check on more than average temps. Sun is intense even in comfy March, and shade is found if you crawl under a tumbleweed

The formations from the floor are breathtaking, and I can just imagine the in-person view from atop Mitchell Mesa.

*If you planned to do it, Mexican Hat is an interesting little town located along San Juan River to stay the night before. About 20 miles away from MV.

Thanks Erin, I figured you'd have the inside scoop.  I'm going to put this on my race wish list for the Winter/Spring.  I did read that there is a lot of sand running involved.  Anyone use gaiters? 

2015-10-14 12:33 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Randee, do you have a power meter update for us?  I was catching up on DC Rainmaker and I saw The Power Meters Buyer’s Guide–2015 Edition and thought of you!

So many options out there it is a bit mindboggling even with DC's reviews.  I'm leaning towards the Power2max.  I need to drop a hint (or link) to my wife for xmas.  Beats another stack of sweaters.

2015-10-14 12:54 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks Erin, I figured you'd have the inside scoop.  I'm going to put this on my race wish list for the Winter/Spring.  I did read that there is a lot of sand running involved.  Anyone use gaiters? 

That series looks awesome!

I used gaiters 1x and was glad to have them.  I did a HM that included about 5 miles of deep sugar sand (think sand even finer than at the beach) and they pretty much kept my shoes sand free! 

2015-10-14 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Originally posted by Atlantia Podmates, I need some healing vibes for my grandma, please. She went into hospital over the weekend for intestinal blockage, and just went into surgery about an hour ago. She's been feeling pretty poorly for awhile, so we need the universe on her side. Thanks!!
thinking of your Gran Laura. Hopefully she is well out of surgery by now. To give you some hope my 80 year old (at the time) PA had a similar thing a few years ago he made a complete recovery, it took some time but he got better.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, Jen.
Thank you everyone! I think we need to keep them coming. Grandma came out of surgery but overnight there were some issues with keeping her blood pressure stabilized. I got an update from my aunt that is with her down in Pensacola, and there are still some concerns. My parents are flying down this weekend.

2015-10-14 1:05 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Atlantia

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, Jen. Thank you everyone! I think we need to keep them coming. Grandma came out of surgery but overnight there were some issues with keeping her blood pressure stabilized. I got an update from my aunt that is with her down in Pensacola, and there are still some concerns. My parents are flying down this weekend.

Prayers for your Grandma and the family. 

2015-10-14 1:07 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by amd723

I used gaiters 1x and was glad to have them.  I did a HM that included about 5 miles of deep sugar sand (think sand even finer than at the beach) and they pretty much kept my shoes sand free! 

What brand gaiters do you have?  I've done some research but nothing has jumped out at me. 

2015-10-14 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

What brand gaiters do you have?  I've done some research but nothing has jumped out at me. 

I'll check when I get home.  I just bought mine at the race site right before the race, so I did absolutely no research on them. 

2015-10-14 3:10 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Atlantia

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, Jen. Thank you everyone! I think we need to keep them coming. Grandma came out of surgery but overnight there were some issues with keeping her blood pressure stabilized. I got an update from my aunt that is with her down in Pensacola, and there are still some concerns. My parents are flying down this weekend.

Awww, sorry to hear.  Sending more prayers and well-wishes for grandma and your family.

2015-10-15 6:16 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Good day everyone, I hope things are going well as we approach the weekend.  I have a quick question for those that have ridden long distance before.  I have a century coming up in early November.  I feel that my legs and butt will be ready, the only concern I have is calorie intake.  I have been using Hammer Gels, which agree with me quite well.  So, my plan is probably one of those every 30-40 minutes or so and a bottle(ish) of water per hour.  Is there anything else I should be aware of? I figure by the time it is over, I'll be none too fond of gels, so any alternatives to try will be considered.  The ride is self supported, but I will pass my van every 10 miles or so.

I am no help on the PM or gaiter discussions, sorry.  My technology use when training is limited to a GPS watch.  And my running in sand is short distance, so I don't bother, although I can see the benefit.

As we move towards fall here in the states, I am inclined to figure out my winter/prep schedule.  I am probably looking at a HM in February, but outside of that I'm kind of open.  So after the century, I'll switch to a run focus with a mileage climb happening over the three months or so and the addition of some speed work. It worked last winter and I may set an aggressive goal, just to push myself a bit more than in past years.  So that's the framework of a plan for the next 4 months or so and should get me through my day of winter.  What is everyone else looking at for their winter?

2015-10-15 6:45 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

They're called Wicked Skins.

2015-10-15 6:52 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Good day everyone, I hope things are going well as we approach the weekend.  I have a quick question for those that have ridden long distance before.  I have a century coming up in early November.  I feel that my legs and butt will be ready, the only concern I have is calorie intake.  I have been using Hammer Gels, which agree with me quite well.  So, my plan is probably one of those every 30-40 minutes or so and a bottle(ish) of water per hour.  Is there anything else I should be aware of? I figure by the time it is over, I'll be none too fond of gels, so any alternatives to try will be considered.  The ride is self supported, but I will pass my van every 10 miles or so.

I am no help on the PM or gaiter discussions, sorry.  My technology use when training is limited to a GPS watch.  And my running in sand is short distance, so I don't bother, although I can see the benefit.

As we move towards fall here in the states, I am inclined to figure out my winter/prep schedule.  I am probably looking at a HM in February, but outside of that I'm kind of open.  So after the century, I'll switch to a run focus with a mileage climb happening over the three months or so and the addition of some speed work. It worked last winter and I may set an aggressive goal, just to push myself a bit more than in past years.  So that's the framework of a plan for the next 4 months or so and should get me through my day of winter.  What is everyone else looking at for their winter?

On any of the centuries that I've done I've always enjoyed some of the real food at the support stops including cookies and oranges. So, if you can have real food in your van you may appreciate the ability to eat something other than gels.  When I ride long unsupported I sometimes use uncrustables or fig newtons.

As far as my plan for our 1 day of winter, I will be run focused too.  Of course, I've been run focused for over a year now, so that's probably not much of a plan!! I do have a bunch of races between now and the end of the year and, though I haven't finalized anything yet, I know I will have a bunch of runs after the new year. Hoping to get back to the mountains to run a HM or relay. There will also be -hopefully - a week or two of hiking.

2015-10-15 7:17 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Dunno about winter training--That is up to the coach I just hired! In previous years I've usually done some kind of run focus to get ready for the Angkor Wat Half Marathon, but I'm finally pulling the plug on that race this year. Every year I think I'm in shape to do a good race there and I don't, every year it all goes south after a lot of start line and first few mile chaos (people jumping into the race at random points, pushing and shoving at the start, etc.). I just struggle to get into a rhythm after that, and the novelty of running past a World Heritage Site has finally worn off after many crappy last few miles past said site. The biggest issue is that it comes two days before our report cards are do, so it's the worst timing possible. Plus after spending seven months getting ready for two HIM, kind of feel like a need a break from the half marathon. Just doing maintenance until starting with coaching in November. Would hope I will get some work in on addressing my weakness, aka the bike!
2015-10-15 7:38 AM

Master
Northern IL

On my own I've tended to use Cliff Bars, and sometimes Oatmeal Cream Pies. On a supported ride I'll carry with a few Cliff Bars for gap filling and in case the stops run out, but tend to try using what they have available. Typical for me is to grab a few cookies at each stop plus something salty, like the gorp or Cheez-Its. You mentioned expecting to pass your van about every 10 miles and this being self supported, so maybe figure out something in between. It's fine to stop for a couple minutes on these long rides. Also, when you keep the pace down the need take in more energy also goes down. You might still be adapting to going long though. I still feel funny on these when it's hot out. Sweat a lot and the body is working quite a bit to keep everything in balance.

Gotta love how Hands says to use real food, the first of which is cookies.

2015-10-15 8:09 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I haven't done a century (have done some rides in the 75-90 mile range, though, some of them in such tough conditions that it probably took as long as a century), but also have a lot of experience with really long hikes and treks that can take 10-12 hours. I'd recommend a mix of different flavors and textures of food. I think I would throw up after more than three or four gus! Maybe some salty nut mix or (Mom's favorite bike snack) Chex Party Mix with some nuts added, or PBJ. Plus some sweeter stuff and/or fruit. When I did the bike tour in Sri Lanka last year they had really good raw cashews that hit the spot on the longer rides.

I've really struggled with this sometimes as an athlete--it's bizarre but I really don't have a sweet tooth, never have, even as a kid. I like really dark chocolate, some of those semi-sweet desserts like pumpkin pie (not the really sugary kind) or zucchini bread are okay, but just can't understand the attraction of regular chocolate, most candy, cake, cupcakes, etc... It's not a calorie thing--I don't like the taste. It's actually kind of painful the way most people think chili is painful. You hear about people who are "super-tasters" who can't stand veggies because they taste unbearably bitter--I think I'm that way with sweets.

2015-10-15 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by brigby1

On my own I've tended to use Cliff Bars, and sometimes Oatmeal Cream Pies. On a supported ride I'll carry with a few Cliff Bars for gap filling and in case the stops run out, but tend to try using what they have available. Typical for me is to grab a few cookies at each stop plus something salty, like the gorp or Cheez-Its. You mentioned expecting to pass your van about every 10 miles and this being self supported, so maybe figure out something in between. It's fine to stop for a couple minutes on these long rides. Also, when you keep the pace down the need take in more energy also goes down. You might still be adapting to going long though. I still feel funny on these when it's hot out. Sweat a lot and the body is working quite a bit to keep everything in balance.

I forgot to mention that there will be at least two stops at the van to change bikes. I'm starting on the fixed gear, then the roadie, then the tri bike. And one of those stops will probably involve a change of clothes, due to sweat.  So grabbing food will be an extension of those as well.

Thanks eveyone, keep the ideas coming.

2015-10-15 8:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner I haven't done a century (have done some rides in the 75-90 mile range, though, some of them in such tough conditions that it probably took as long as a century), but also have a lot of experience with really long hikes and treks that can take 10-12 hours. I'd recommend a mix of different flavors and textures of food. I think I would throw up after more than three or four gus! Maybe some salty nut mix or (Mom's favorite bike snack) Chex Party Mix with some nuts added, or PBJ. Plus some sweeter stuff and/or fruit. When I did the bike tour in Sri Lanka last year they had really good raw cashews that hit the spot on the longer rides. I've really struggled with this sometimes as an athlete--it's bizarre but I really don't have a sweet tooth, never have, even as a kid. I like really dark chocolate, some of those semi-sweet desserts like pumpkin pie (not the really sugary kind) or zucchini bread are okay, but just can't understand the attraction of regular chocolate, most candy, cake, cupcakes, etc... It's not a calorie thing--I don't like the taste. It's actually kind of painful the way most people think chili is painful. You hear about people who are "super-tasters" who can't stand veggies because they taste unbearably bitter--I think I'm that way with sweets.

I am the opposite, I recently found Hammer Chocolate gels. Yum. And the Nocciola (Hazelnut/Chocolate) is a fav as well. 

MMMM, cake or cookies or...

Edited by cdban66 2015-10-15 8:19 AM
2015-10-15 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

LOL, as soon as I typed that I wondered if someone would call me out

2015-10-15 8:35 AM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

LOL, as soon as I typed that I wondered if someone would call me out

Well hey, if this makes it legal now ...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 55613 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68425 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29167 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12303 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67926 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.