BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-08-03 11:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Darren is on the move in Switzerland.  He is heading toward Seftigen south of Bern.  Checkpoint two (Grindelwald) and a mandatory mountain climb are the stop after that.  Only a few mountains between him and CP2!

Edited by jmkizer 2016-08-03 11:25 AM

2016-08-03 11:26 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jmkizer

Darren is on the move in Switzerland.  He is heading toward Seftigen south of Bern.  Checkpoint two (Grindelwald) and a mandatory mountain climb are the stop after that.  Only a few mountains between him and CP2!

How awesome!!!!!
2016-08-03 11:51 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Looks like he made a Swiss friend along the way

2016-08-03 12:01 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

GAH!  I get buried in work & I miss a new Manatee thread...  I hang my head in shame for 2 minutes.... 

Mini Bio:

Hi, I'm Monica!  Originally from Vancouver, and now live in Austin, TX via London & Chicago.  I've been married to a fellow BTer (though I"m not sure he's still even ON BT anymore, the slacker!) and we have 2 cats (aka: the cute little furry jerks) and 1 pitt-mix pup who is the WORST at doing pretty much anything except for eating & sleeping.  I started doing triathlons in 2010, I really like swimming & riding my bike, but running & I have a mutual hate.  I've done every distance from sprint to IM & have realized after every single race that I should have trained more.  If Darren is the master of the mini-taper, I'd consider myself the master of the non-training-but-stubborn-enough-to-finish kind of racer.  I don't recommend it.   

2016-08-03 12:48 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

GAH!  I get buried in work & I miss a new Manatee thread...  I hang my head in shame for 2 minutes.... 

Mini Bio:

Hi, I'm Monica!  Originally from Vancouver, and now live in Austin, TX via London & Chicago.  I've been married to a fellow BTer (though I"m not sure he's still even ON BT anymore, the slacker!) and we have 2 cats (aka: the cute little furry jerks) and 1 pitt-mix pup who is the WORST at doing pretty much anything except for eating & sleeping.  I started doing triathlons in 2010, I really like swimming & riding my bike, but running & I have a mutual hate.  I've done every distance from sprint to IM & have realized after every single race that I should have trained more.  If Darren is the master of the mini-taper, I'd consider myself the master of the non-training-but-stubborn-enough-to-finish kind of racer.  I don't recommend it.   

haha I did enjoy reading this ))
2016-08-03 1:09 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Cypress, Texas
Quick update on my ankle. Finally some improvement over the weekend and I can actually walk without pain. Doing heavier stuff or too many twists with it still hurts though, so still no running for me.

I've been swimming a lot over the last few weeks, though had to use the pull buoy mostly to spare my ankle.

Will post mini bio shortly.

2016-08-03 1:14 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by johnthecat Quick update on my ankle. Finally some improvement over the weekend and I can actually walk without pain. Doing heavier stuff or too many twists with it still hurts though, so still no running for me. I've been swimming a lot over the last few weeks, though had to use the pull buoy mostly to spare my ankle. Will post mini bio shortly.

I'm glad to hear that it is improving.  Take care!

2016-08-03 1:15 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Mini Bio

My name is Markus, 46 years old and I'm originally from Germany, now live in the Houston area. Married with 4 kids 4,5,17 and 19 and a cat and dog. Former gymnast and my second year doing Triathlons. I came down with Guillain-Barre Syndrome 3 years ago that did a lot of damage to my peripheral nerve system and ever since then I've been trying to inspire other Guillain-Barre victims. I like swimming and biking, running I'm not much of a fan of, especially that I'm struggling to gain my pre sickness speed back. I also still enjoy doing gymnastics on occasion and stuff with the kids.
2016-08-03 1:28 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner
Originally posted by juniperjen

Hey manatees! We had a holiday yesterday so today is my monday. Also an even shorter week because I am going away for a long weekend with my mom and sisters to Mont Tremblant! It will be nice to go and not race but it is such an awesome place and my IM was such a great day ... i'll definitely run some of the run course.

Nutrition Question for you: 

Anyway, a question for you all - i am feeling quite fatigued. In the past i've had issues with my B12 levels which after last test late last year were okay. I was reading an article off a FB feed and it might have been one of the running sites but it suggested that an overall lack of protein may contribute to a feeling of fatigue. I have been tracking my calories on Myfitnesspal (and don't worry i get more than enough calories) but I do see that often i am a little short on protein. I've never worried about macros and mostly try to eat 'well' by cooking and using lots of fruits and veggies. Anyway, this is getting long but is there a benefit to upping my protein? What strategies would be best? Or should i just go for a blood panel from my dr?

Virtual race: 

I am in for whatever as well. If it makes sense to use the group site that's good with me. Terry Fox runs are incredibly popular here and would be easy for me to do in the Fall as that is when most of those are. I was just thinking that we'd designate a day - we'd all commit to what we wanted to do - (sport, distance, etc) and we would do in the name of Steve with a donation for it ... 

I agree. A cancer charity is best. 

If total calories are adequate (was going to suggest that but you said it's not an issue), I would also look at iron levels, particularly if you are vegetarian or eat little to no red meat. Another thing would be healthy fat intake--I notice my energy levels are steadier when I'm getting a bit more than most people. It slows the rate at which you absorb carbs, which makes the energy you take in last longer--particularly useful if you are prone to swings in energy/blood sugar levels.

I've been told four things regarding energy: 

1. B vitamins (get a B complex, take it
  2. healthy fats (coconut oil, etc. Just a little. For example, use coconut oil on toast instead of butter.)
  3. protein (again, don't overdo it, just be sure that you are getting enough)
  4. probiotics (kombucha every now and then, real fermented sauerkraut, etc.)

YMMV.

2016-08-03 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Are Prairie Fire Half Marathon and Prairie State Half marathon two different events?  I'm asking because Lisa is signed up for one and Mary G is signed up for the other and both are on the same day.

2016-08-03 3:37 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Are Prairie Fire Half Marathon and Prairie State Half marathon two different events?  I'm asking because Lisa is signed up for one and Mary G is signed up for the other and both are on the same day.

I don't think so... Mine says specifically Praire State. It is in Long Grove (I have no idea where it is - somewhere in Illinois...).
Happy to know I'll have a run at the same time as Laura

2016-08-03 3:37 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by Hot Runner
Originally posted by juniperjen

Hey manatees! We had a holiday yesterday so today is my monday. Also an even shorter week because I am going away for a long weekend with my mom and sisters to Mont Tremblant! It will be nice to go and not race but it is such an awesome place and my IM was such a great day ... i'll definitely run some of the run course.

Nutrition Question for you: 

Anyway, a question for you all - i am feeling quite fatigued. In the past i've had issues with my B12 levels which after last test late last year were okay. I was reading an article off a FB feed and it might have been one of the running sites but it suggested that an overall lack of protein may contribute to a feeling of fatigue. I have been tracking my calories on Myfitnesspal (and don't worry i get more than enough calories) but I do see that often i am a little short on protein. I've never worried about macros and mostly try to eat 'well' by cooking and using lots of fruits and veggies. Anyway, this is getting long but is there a benefit to upping my protein? What strategies would be best? Or should i just go for a blood panel from my dr?

Virtual race: 

I am in for whatever as well. If it makes sense to use the group site that's good with me. Terry Fox runs are incredibly popular here and would be easy for me to do in the Fall as that is when most of those are. I was just thinking that we'd designate a day - we'd all commit to what we wanted to do - (sport, distance, etc) and we would do in the name of Steve with a donation for it ... 

I agree. A cancer charity is best. 

If total calories are adequate (was going to suggest that but you said it's not an issue), I would also look at iron levels, particularly if you are vegetarian or eat little to no red meat. Another thing would be healthy fat intake--I notice my energy levels are steadier when I'm getting a bit more than most people. It slows the rate at which you absorb carbs, which makes the energy you take in last longer--particularly useful if you are prone to swings in energy/blood sugar levels.

I've been told four things regarding energy: 

1. B vitamins (get a B complex, take it
  2. healthy fats (coconut oil, etc. Just a little. For example, use coconut oil on toast instead of butter.)
  3. protein (again, don't overdo it, just be sure that you are getting enough)
  4. probiotics (kombucha every now and then, real fermented sauerkraut, etc.)

YMMV.

Thanks for the info on vitamin B. I only take it for a week before camping, to prevent mosquito bites..
2016-08-03 3:38 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by johnthecat

Mini Bio

My name is Markus, 46 years old and I'm originally from Germany, now live in the Houston area. Married with 4 kids 4,5,17 and 19 and a cat and dog. Former gymnast and my second year doing Triathlons. I came down with Guillain-Barre Syndrome 3 years ago that did a lot of damage to my peripheral nerve system and ever since then I've been trying to inspire other Guillain-Barre victims. I like swimming and biking, running I'm not much of a fan of, especially that I'm struggling to gain my pre sickness speed back. I also still enjoy doing gymnastics on occasion and stuff with the kids.

You are such an inspiring person, Markus glad to have you with a group!
2016-08-04 5:24 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Originally posted by abake I'm really enjoying the little introductions that everyone is posting. Is it possible to collect these in one thread and post it as a sticky?

Good idea!  I added them to the first post in this thread.

Thank you!
2016-08-04 6:21 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thursday morning (US Eastern time) Darren update:  Darren has made it to Control Point 2 / Grindelwald.  I believe that he in Furka Pass now.  Next town on his anticipated route, Andermatt.  The next Control Point is Passo Giau in the Dolomites.

I hope that he doesn't run into any more of this!

2016-08-04 6:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Randee, could you take the lead on this?  Maybe Karen or Jen could help if we want to do the Terry Fox runs?  I guess the main things that we need right now is a charity and a target event.  I suppose we could do "for Steve" shirts and put them on Cafepress or something.  Take a post "race" photo with it and post it on social media.  Dunno.

ok!

to start: Charity - no one knows what kind of cancer, right? I tried to stalk his Athlinks page but he didn't do any charity events.
he seems to have done a good job keeping that on the DL :/

I'll just find a cancer hospital or care center in Bellingham, WA and we'll use that one. Sound ok?

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2016-08-04 6:48 AM

2016-08-04 6:56 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

ok! to start: Charity - no one knows what kind of cancer, right? I tried to stalk his Athlinks page but he didn't do any charity events. he seems to have done a good job keeping that on the DL :/ I'll just find a cancer hospital or care center in Bellingham, WA and we'll use that one. Sound ok?

I like it!

2016-08-04 7:08 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

ok! to start: Charity - no one knows what kind of cancer, right? I tried to stalk his Athlinks page but he didn't do any charity events. he seems to have done a good job keeping that on the DL :/ I'll just find a cancer hospital or care center in Bellingham, WA and we'll use that one. Sound ok?

I like it!

Yes, cancer-specific and local to him.

2016-08-04 7:38 AM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83

I don't think so... Mine says specifically Praire State. It is in Long Grove (I have no idea where it is - somewhere in Illinois...). Happy to know I'll have a run at the same time as Laura

Haha! Middle of suburbia there. Ran an 8k Turkey Trot out of that same spot by the group putting on this race. It was nice. The start and finish are in a sort of preserved, but still active, old small town section. If that makes any sense. Stores may still use "shoppe" and in the holidays an actual elf would not be out of place.

2016-08-04 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I think Lisa's is in Wichita. So, my guess is that they are 2 seperate events.

2016-08-04 8:50 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Randee, could you take the lead on this?  Maybe Karen or Jen could help if we want to do the Terry Fox runs?  I guess the main things that we need right now is a charity and a target event.  I suppose we could do "for Steve" shirts and put them on Cafepress or something.  Take a post "race" photo with it and post it on social media.  Dunno.

That sounds PERFECT!  

Thank you so much for taking on trying to organize a bunch of Manatees... I've heard they can be quite wily & unruly at times.   

2016-08-04 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Thursday morning (US Eastern time) Darren update:  Darren has made it to Control Point 2 / Grindelwald.  I believe that he in Furka Pass now.  Next town on his anticipated route, Andermatt.  The next Control Point is Passo Giau in the Dolomites.

I hope that he doesn't run into any more of this!

Wow! Go Darren Go!!! 

2016-08-04 9:12 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

That sounds PERFECT!  

Thank you so much for taking on trying to organize a bunch of Manatees... I've heard they can be quite wily & unruly at times.   

I've started working on it but my IM is two weeks from Sunday.....so just be patient

I think I'll start a FB page for it and that way everyone can follow it so updates don't get lost in here.......
2016-08-04 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

That sounds PERFECT!  

I've started working on it but my IM is two weeks from Sunday.....so just be patient I think I'll start a FB page for it and that way everyone can follow it so updates don't get lost in here.......

So you're tapering and have a lot of time on your hands, right?

2016-08-04 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

That sounds PERFECT!  

I've started working on it but my IM is two weeks from Sunday.....so just be patient

I think I'll start a FB page for it and that way everyone can follow it so updates don't get lost in here.......

That's an excellent idea!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.