BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-01-04 1:29 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm
Originally posted by Hot Runner

David-- a word to the wise from a (most unwillingly transplanted to Idaho--I don't even like potatoes!) former Oregonian. Don't wait to start training until it stops raining! If people in the Pacific Northwest did that, there would be no athletes of any kind, instead of the track powerhouse that is UO, all the great pro runners in Portland and pro triathletes in Bend, etc. It pretty much rains every day 6-8 months a year there, and usually not warm rain either. When I lived in Saigon (the past nine years), it rained almost every day half the year, often so hard you could not see where you were going, and I lived below sea level so our neighborhood flooded probably once every few weeks. I still managed to go from beginner/semi couch potato to two-time 70.3 Worlds qualifier. I think I only ran on the treadmill a few times during that period. (There was a LOT of trainer riding, though, due to work hours and homicidal traffic.)

Either go get wet (our college coach used to tell us, "You aren't made of sugar; you won't dissolve!") or if you really can't stand it, maybe it's time to invest in a treadmill and trainer or join a gym that has them. If you're anything like me (sounds like it), the treadmill will then drive you so batty you'll decide the rain is preferable.

Oh, you are absolutely correct! I spent three healthy years of college trying to get sick running in cold rain just to prove my coach wrong. It never happened. And I will run in most any weather other than lightning once I get started again.

Update: The rain seems to have moved out this afternoon and it's time to get started!

2019-01-04 1:34 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by tdl1972

David, could you please open up your BT training log to Manatees? Thanks!

Ok, try it again. I think I opened it up correctly. If you are able to access them and they just look like empty logs of no training I'll send you the Little Orphan Annie decoder pin I got from Ralphie.

We may need the decoder ring.

Have you tried this?

Go to your Profile settings

On the left sidebar, select Training Log Settings > Privacy and under Training Log Privacy, adjust the settings.

Then you have two choices that would work and preserve some level of privacy. Only registered users would let anyone who is logged into BT to see your log. Only Friends which would mean that you have to add all of the Manatees to your friends list on BT.

OK, I think I got it this time. I tried to change it to registered users before using my phone and it apparently didn't save. Back on a computer now.
2019-01-04 1:35 PM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Ok, try it again. I think I opened it up correctly. If you are able to access them and they just look like empty logs of no training I'll send you the Little Orphan Annie decoder pin I got from Ralphie.

I gave it a go and failed. No pin for me 

On a more serious note (wait, what) I am going to be building out the first swipe at a new Manatee table, although now that I have mentioned it, Janyne has finished hers. The Force is Strong! Also, there is a Google spreadsheet being built for the "Second or Third Not Quite Annual We Will Try To Cover Everything JoGo Challenge" Yes indeed, tell your friends and neighbors and prepare yourselves for the greatest physical challenge every set before you. And possibly win a decoder pin.

2019-01-04 1:36 PM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

We may need the decoder ring.

Have you tried this?

Go to your Profile settings

On the left sidebar, select Training Log Settings > Privacy and under Training Log Privacy, adjust the settings.

Then you have two choices that would work and preserve some level of privacy. Only registered users would let anyone who is logged into BT to see your log. Only Friends which would mean that you have to add all of the Manatees to your friends list on BT.

OK, I think I got it this time. I tried to change it to registered users before using my phone and it apparently didn't save. Back on a computer now.

OK, fine, make a liar of me. I'm in, all is right in the world!

2019-01-04 2:19 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by awm007

On the professional/personal side, I'm a professor at NC State University in Raleigh NC and the job allows me a lot of schedule flexibility. I'm also in the process of launching a start-up business related to testing and assessment. Between two jobs and family commitments, I'm far too busy for triathlon. However, having a race on the books makes sure I don't slip out of staying active and the hours training are a good way to fight off stress and anxiety.

Adam,

Your start-up biz...Educational testing and assessment? If so, as a middle school ELA teacher, I'm intrigued.

I live in SC, but teach in GA.
2019-01-04 2:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Double post

Edited by glfprncs 2019-01-04 4:07 PM

2019-01-04 2:56 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by glfprncs

Originally posted by awm007

On the professional/personal side, I'm a professor at NC State University in Raleigh NC and the job allows me a lot of schedule flexibility. I'm also in the process of launching a start-up business related to testing and assessment. Between two jobs and family commitments, I'm far too busy for triathlon. However, having a race on the books makes sure I don't slip out of staying active and the hours training are a good way to fight off stress and anxiety.

Adam,

Your start-up biz...Educational testing and assessment? If so, as a middle school ELA teacher, I'm intrigued.

I live in SC, but teach in GA.

Hi Nancy,
Right now our products are geared towards business rather than education and consist of a couple of different personality tests using a novel response format. They could be used for education but we haven't targeted that market (at least not yet). Shameless plug for the company: PerSight Assessments. Thanks for asking! My background is in psychometrics so I spend a good bit time with educational assessments. Fun stuff
2019-01-04 4:33 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hi All, 

NAME: Robin Proctor

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I am on Facebook (warning, I post political), and Strava (Manatees group).

STORY: I have always been an "outdoor" girl and never an athlete. I had a midlife realization that I didn't want to be old  and fat and be unhealthy. I started losing weight and exercising regularly. Someone mentioned triathlon and, at 48 completed my first sprint. I was hooked. 10 years later, I am still plugging along and doing what I can. I found BT my first year and credit it with getting my through my first  tri, and everything else I have done since. I have made really wonderful friends here and have met several in real life.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my biggest supporter and have 2 adult kids.  I have a 2 year old Border Collie (Raven) and three elderly cats.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Currently not training due to recovering from surgery. I will be cleared to start by the middle or end of the month. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I have some planned in my head, at least 2 sprints and one oly and maybe more, but I am not going to register early. I had to bail on all but one of my races last year and that was a LOT of money down the drain.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Be healthy, train and loose some pounds doing it.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I would put that I look like one, but that has already been taken. I love the support here

2019-01-04 5:57 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

On a more serious note (wait, what) I am going to be building out the first swipe at a new Manatee table, although now that I have mentioned it, Janyne has finished hers. The Force is Strong! Also, there is a Google spreadsheet being built for the "Second or Third Not Quite Annual We Will Try To Cover Everything JoGo Challenge" Yes indeed, tell your friends and neighbors and prepare yourselves for the greatest physical challenge every set before you. And possibly win a decoder pin.

We are all about the decoder pins!

2019-01-04 5:58 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

Hi All, 

NAME: Robin Proctor

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I am on Facebook (warning, I post political), and Strava (Manatees group).

STORY: I have always been an "outdoor" girl and never an athlete. I had a midlife realization that I didn't want to be old  and fat and be unhealthy. I started losing weight and exercising regularly. Someone mentioned triathlon and, at 48 completed my first sprint. I was hooked. 10 years later, I am still plugging along and doing what I can. I found BT my first year and credit it with getting my through my first  tri, and everything else I have done since. I have made really wonderful friends here and have met several in real life.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my biggest supporter and have 2 adult kids.  I have a 2 year old Border Collie (Raven) and three elderly cats.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Currently not training due to recovering from surgery. I will be cleared to start by the middle or end of the month. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I have some planned in my head, at least 2 sprints and one oly and maybe more, but I am not going to register early. I had to bail on all but one of my races last year and that was a LOT of money down the drain.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Be healthy, train and loose some pounds doing it.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I would put that I look like one, but that has already been taken. I love the support here

Welcome back!

It sounds like you may be cleared in time for the JoGo Challenge 

2019-01-04 6:26 PM

User image

Master

Hi everyone.  I'd like to re-enter the fray. 

NAME: Kirsten

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: bcvettech on both twitter and IG.  Not really on FB.  In the Strava group

STORY: Athlete in high school, not too much for a few years, then hockey, then runner, then tri starting in about 2012.

FAMILY STATUS: Happily partnered, 4 dogs (Elektra (staffie), Lysi (Pumi), Seraphina (Chi/terrier), Bart (Kelpie).  My partner does high level agility with 3 of them.  Seraphina is just for show .  One cat Spartacus (we lost our Mozart in October).

CURRENT TRAINING:  Trying to get back at it.  It has been raining for about forever (wettest Jan 3 ever here yesterday...) and my training partner has been away for 6 weeks. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Mt. Tremblant 70.3 in June.  Probably Aquabike a few weeks prior to that.  Likely Superleague Penticton in August.  I'm sure there will be more, just don't have them planned yet.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Be able to eat what I want and drink beer and not get too big.  Well, and I like to push myself to beyond what my brain tells me I am capable of.

I have made an appointment to do a gait analysis next week in the hopes of figuring out my left side issues (SI joint instability, quad soreness, etc).  I am committed to keeping up strength training that I started in the fall.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Ummmmm, well I am not sure I can claim that presently.  Haven't been very active in awhile.  My supervisor is back from maternity leave, so that should give me a bit more time to log in. 

2019-01-04 9:13 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

David-- a word to the wise from a (most unwillingly transplanted to Idaho--I don't even like potatoes!) former Oregonian. Don't wait to start training until it stops raining! If people in the Pacific Northwest did that, there would be no athletes of any kind, instead of the track powerhouse that is UO, all the great pro runners in Portland and pro triathletes in Bend, etc. It pretty much rains every day 6-8 months a year there, and usually not warm rain either. When I lived in Saigon (the past nine years), it rained almost every day half the year, often so hard you could not see where you were going, and I lived below sea level so our neighborhood flooded probably once every few weeks. I still managed to go from beginner/semi couch potato to two-time 70.3 Worlds qualifier. I think I only ran on the treadmill a few times during that period. (There was a LOT of trainer riding, though, due to work hours and homicidal traffic.)

Either go get wet (our college coach used to tell us, "You aren't made of sugar; you won't dissolve!") or if you really can't stand it, maybe it's time to invest in a treadmill and trainer or join a gym that has them. If you're anything like me (sounds like it), the treadmill will then drive you so batty you'll decide the rain is preferable.
the philosophy at our schools when it comes to outside play is "there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" and "your skin is waterproof".

I still don't like running in the rain when it is cold and windy though.
2019-01-04 9:29 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sounds like Oregon! I remember when I first came to Vietnam getting chewed out by an administrator for letting kids continue to play at recess in a light (and of course, warm) rain and (God forbid) splash around a bit in a big puddle. No idea that wasn't the done thing. That is what recess is, 90% of the time for about 2/3 of the school year in the Pacific Northwest! Growing up in Ohio, we would be sent out in anything but blizzard conditions and spent most of the time running around screaming, lobbing snowballs, building snowmen, and rolling in the stuff.

But yes, the cold, rainy AND windy combo is really not much fun. I get through it (in season) by thinking about Starbucks holiday drinks and hot showers. I have been disappointed so far with Idaho winters--thought they would be drier and feature more powdery snow than rain or "winter mix" (probably my least favorite weather word), but instead it just seems to be mostly cloudy or rainy/winter mix-y and about 10 degrees colder than Oregon, but not quite cold enough to snow. If we lived a few thousand feet higher, I would be getting the lovely powder; a few thousand feet lower (or closer to the coast), and it would be warmer. Ugh!
2019-01-05 5:13 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Racing Manatees!!!

January 5-6
Stacey - Wallygrunta Trail -Ā 13k on Friday << TODAY

Is anyone else racing?

I finally put Piggy's Revenge on my calendar. 40 miles riding in the woods this Sunday. I am NOT racing.

One of these days we are going to do Piggy's Revenge --- might be a retirement trip
2019-01-05 12:26 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

There is a bright warm orb in the sky today!! All hail sunshine!!!

Thank goodness. My husband was ready to drive me someplace with sunshine because apparently I've been a bit crabby.
2019-01-05 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by glfprncsThere is a bright warm orb in the sky today!! All hail sunshine!!!Thank goodness. My husband was ready to drive me someplace with sunshine because apparently I've been a bit crabby.
Yay. Us too! Not supposed to last but I will appreciate it while its here.

2019-01-05 1:02 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

So I am not off to a great start for the JoGo challenge.  Motivation is always difficult for me at this time of the year.  It is so dark out and the rain is non stop.  Next week will be back on a routine, so should be a bit easier.  I haven't swam or been on my bike in months so those should hurt the first few times out!  Getting some strength sessions in though, so that is good.  Have a good weekend!

2019-01-05 2:04 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Where would I find such a spreadsheet?

2019-01-05 4:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I think that Chris said that he'd post it for us to start on mid-month.

2019-01-05 4:07 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I gave it a go and failed. No pin for meĀ 

i should have paid more attention. Hanging head in shame.
2019-01-05 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

i should have paid more attention. Hanging head in shame.

Chris may have said that in the other thread or when you were on vacation.

2019-01-05 6:12 PM

User image

Expert
Daughter #3 gave me one of those electric massage units, similar to a tens unit where it sends an electric impulse into the muscle. I am hooked! It's one of those it hurts so good feelings and when it's finished the muscle is loose and relaxed. It feels pretty amazing. I came close to buying one at IMLou for way too much money. I'm glad I waited. Daughter #3's love language is gifts.She appreciates the smallest token gift and is the best gift giver I know.
Daughter #2 wants me to try it before strength training. She is a senior in a kinesiolgy/pre-med program and insists that the contractions from the unit will exhaust the muscle and cause it to tear easier under stress making the workout move effective. She knows stuff, I just haven't been able to bring myself to try it and God forbid do something different.
2019-01-05 8:40 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by JBacarella Daughter #3 gave me one of those electric massage units, similar to a tens unit where it sends an electric impulse into the muscle. I am hooked! It's one of those it hurts so good feelings and when it's finished the muscle is loose and relaxed. It feels pretty amazing. I came close to buying one at IMLou for way too much money. I'm glad I waited. Daughter #3's love language is gifts.She appreciates the smallest token gift and is the best gift giver I know. Daughter #2 wants me to try it before strength training. She is a senior in a kinesiolgy/pre-med program and insists that the contractions from the unit will exhaust the muscle and cause it to tear easier under stress making the workout move effective. She knows stuff, I just haven't been able to bring myself to try it and God forbid do something different.

Torn between two daughters.....'

2019-01-06 1:00 PM
in reply to: #5253456

User image

I have been wearing the same model running shoe (New Balance 1080) through 4 versions (V5, 6, 7 & 8). They have a nice wide toe box, ample cushion, and a drop my body likes. I can take them out of the box, put my Super feet orthotic in and run 10+ miles with zero issues.

The dilemma? The 9th version came out this month and they totally changed the heel. It eats socks and causes blisters. I'm SO sad.

I have a new pair of the V8, so I'm good until May. However, I'm doing IM-LOU in Oct.

Do I:
A. Buy 2 more pair of the V8 now to get me through October
B. Start searching now for a replacement that I love and hope I find one by late spring?

My problem with option A is that I attended a running seminar years ago and was informed that the foam starts to break down as soon as the shoes come off the assembly line. Thus, the shoes I keep in a box for a year may start with minimal life. Not sure how true that is, but it's always stuck with me.
2019-01-06 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by glfprncsI have been wearing the same model running shoe (New Balance 1080) through 4 versions (V5, 6, 7 & 8). They have a nice wide toe box, ample cushion, and a drop my body likes. I can take them out of the box, put my Super feet orthotic in and run 10+ miles with zero issues.The dilemma? The 9th version came out this month and they totally changed the heel. It eats socks and causes blisters. I'm SO sad.I have a new pair of the V8, so I'm good until May. However, I'm doing IM-LOU in Oct.Do I:A. Buy 2 more pair of the V8 now to get me through OctoberB. Start searching now for a replacement that I love and hope I find one by late spring?My problem with option A is that I attended a running seminar years ago and was informed that the foam starts to break down as soon as the shoes come off the assembly line. Thus, the shoes I keep in a box for a year may start with minimal life. Not sure how true that is, but it's always stuck with me.
I hate it when they change what works! My understanding is that with newer materials, the 'break down as soon as they are off the line' is no longer true. I buy shoes in pairs of two as well to avoid potential changes and I usually get normal life even though they sit in a closet for months before first use.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107