BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-03-19 9:08 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by JBacarella

I started using heat to heat my bruised ribs, because I am going crazy not being able to run, and the internet said to do it ( actually I usually turn to Cleveland Clinic for on line medical advice). I was wondering if anyone has ever used heat on a bone bruise and if it helped speed healing. It makes sense to my non-medical brain because of the increase in blood flow to the area and thus speeds healing.

Right now I can do leg exercises that don't engage my core and ride my bike. I can't get into the aero position and if I start rocking, well that just hurt. Anything with speed really hurts right now, so I'm doing The Sufferfest climbing and endurance videos. No racing or sprinting videos.

I used heat to try to speed up my bruised and separated ribs that I got a few weeks before 2018 Boulder 70.3. It worked so that I could start the race. My swim was okay but I couldn't really reach with my left arm and it hurt to breathe. Bike was the easiest on the ribs. This is however, the race I found myself in the police car at mile 4 of the run with no idea how I got there.

Try the heat but still take it very easy!

2020-03-19 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I started using heat to heat my bruised ribs, because I am going crazy not being able to run, and the internet said to do it ( actually I usually turn to Cleveland Clinic for on line medical advice). I was wondering if anyone has ever used heat on a bone bruise and if it helped speed healing. It makes sense to my non-medical brain because of the increase in blood flow to the area and thus speeds healing. Right now I can do leg exercises that don't engage my core and ride my bike. I can't get into the aero position and if I start rocking, well that just hurt. Anything with speed really hurts right now, so I'm doing The Sufferfest climbing and endurance videos. No racing or sprinting videos.

In my 2x experience with bruised ribs, nothing speeds up the healing process! It just takes time, lots of time. Heat or a combination of heat and cold may help you feel better for a while -like taken Advil, but I found that it still just takes time. Another thing to consider is whether you injured the cartilage and or ligaments that attach the ribs. There is no blood in cartilage and not much in ligaments, so they can take their own sweet time to heal and won't be helped by heat.  

2020-03-19 3:20 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure what you can do to speed healing--if it feels good, do it. I did that myself several years ago (not on a trainer; wiping out while body-surfing in, believe it or not, on vacation in Kona!) It took about 6-8 weeks to feel completely back to normal, which made me wonder if maybe I'd cracked some. (Never did get x-rays, though.) I raced an Olympic about four weeks later but it was painful at times. Not so much the swim (for some reason I was okay swimming, albeit slower as it hurt to pull too forcefully, if I wore my wetsuit) but getting on and off the bike and bending over to put on/take off shoes. I don't think I was in aero for more than a few minutes during that race.
2020-03-20 9:08 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

This looks to be very similar to the information that I shared with the Pod earlier this week but here's the Official Endurance Nation covid-19 page.  This one is 100% shareable. Pass it along.

I'd to see the Manatees reboot and redefine the JoGo.  I am thinking of something similar to our recent JoGo Challenge but modified for different goals.  I expect many of us will have more of a Stay Healthy focus rather than a Race Prep focus.  For me, I think that consistent training will help with my mental health.  I'm not quite sure what consistent training means right now. Zwift? Yoga? TRX? Running outside? Riding outside (no bathrooms or water stops so I guess not too terribly long/far from home?).

Yesterday, Melanie challenged me, saying, "I'll keep you moving if you keep me moving!"

What are your thoughts?

2020-03-20 10:00 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

This looks to be very similar to the information that I shared with the Pod earlier this week but here's the Official Endurance Nation covid-19 page.  This one is 100% shareable. Pass it along.

I'd to see the Manatees reboot and redefine the JoGo.  I am thinking of something similar to our recent JoGo Challenge but modified for different goals.  I expect many of us will have more of a Stay Healthy focus rather than a Race Prep focus.  For me, I think that consistent training will help with my mental health.  I'm not quite sure what consistent training means right now. Zwift? Yoga? TRX? Running outside? Riding outside (no bathrooms or water stops so I guess not too terribly long/far from home?).

Yesterday, Melanie challenged me, saying, "I'll keep you moving if you keep me moving!"

What are your thoughts?

I'd be for it.  Being cooped up and under extra stress, something, anything will help.

2020-03-20 11:35 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

What are your thoughts?

The first 5 weeks of our youth running club I wrote club workouts for our Tuesday & Friday and sent them out before Tuesday's runs so that parents that were helping out as trail sweepers for the older groups and running games for the younger groups would know what the plan was.  A week ago Thursday I stayed up late into the night and re-though everything.  The new plan has a group goal for all the youth to work up to their age in miles every week and log it on a shared group running log.  They get credit it miles for running or walking and get a 1-mile credit for every 15 minutes of other activities (i.e. gymnastics, soccer, baseball, etc.).   So this is similar to JoGo with a shared file to log each week.  The idea is to help them form run-at-home routines and to inspire and motivate each other by seeing everyone else on the group log and seeing everyone work to the group goal.

I personally am not changing anything in my plans.  I still am running 3-4 times a week and cycling 3-4 times a week.  I have only made it to the pool about two times in the last 6 months so nothing will change there.  I wanted to cut back on the runs/bikes to 2-3 days a week so I could make swimming a priority and still make start doing that with OWS.  My TSS has been bouncing from 300-500 a week and I was working on building that up to 600-700 a week.  I pretty much have to keep my run/bike where it is and add the swim in to get to the 600-700 so I may not get there with cutting back on the run/swim but if I can get to 400-600 TSS with a balanced training I will call it a win.  I will set up some Time Trials this summer.  I will probably keep them the same weeks as my tentative races so that my training plans can stay where they are.  They will keep me fit, motivated, and progressing.  Goals for USAT scores/rankings, PR's, etc. will go on hold for now.  They don't matter.  There are just milestones to keep me focused on training.  The training is what matters and I can keep that focus through TT's.  

2020-03-20 12:53 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by melbo55

What are your thoughts?

I'd be for it.  Being cooped up and under extra stress, something, anything will help.

yes... oh yes!!
2020-03-20 12:56 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

What are your thoughts?

yes... oh yes!!

What would you like this to look like?  Keep Moving focus page? Mindfulness page (meditation or yoga)? Strength page (swim cords/TRX/bodyweight/core)? What other ideas do you have?

2020-03-20 2:01 PM

Originally posted by ceilidh

What are your thoughts?

yes... oh yes!!

What would you like this to look like?  Keep Moving focus page? Mindfulness page (meditation or yoga)? Strength page (swim cords/TRX/bodyweight/core)? What other ideas do you have?

Yes Yes Yes on a 'keep moving' focus page!!! I would love to - and really need to - jump in to another challenge.
2020-03-20 6:26 PM

User image

Expert

What are your thoughts?

I'm in, I don't care what it looks like. I'm so frustrated right now. Limited exercises including walking, a little freaked about how much I'm going to lose (horrible thing to focus on, because I have no control over it). I need help with refocus on the things I can control instead of if I use a heating pad can I run sooner, especially when I occasionally feel soreness while walking.

Yes I would love to take part!
2020-03-20 8:21 PM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

What are your thoughts?

I would be open to a JoGo Challenge that is adapted to our current environment. Count me in if everyone else is! 

Tom

2020-03-20 8:27 PM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Thanks for checking in.

I'm really sorry to hear about your vacation but I'm glad that you are safe. Fingers crossed that the working from home thing goes smoothly.

We just made the best of what we could for vacation. At least we were able to get some time together. 

Update on the work front: our schools (and all buildings) are currently closed. In fact our key cards have been deactivated, so no one can go in. I suspect we will be getting an email this weekend from our dept director about a virtual Google Hangouts meeting for Monday. The subject: telecommuting. We will have to wait and see. 

2020-03-21 7:30 AM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Champion
Bronze member
I am really disgusted with ironman. They need tondo the right thing and cancel their races at least through June. And they need to offer refunds for those who cant reschedule or defer. Hey big multinational company, those of us with small businesses have to suck it up, you do too.
2020-03-21 8:49 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by ceilidhI am really disgusted with ironman. They need tondo the right thing and cancel their races at least through June. And they need to offer refunds for those who cant reschedule or defer. Hey big multinational company, those of us with small businesses have to suck it up, you do too.
Rant over
2020-03-21 8:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by ceilidh I am really disgusted with ironman. They need to do the right thing and cancel their races at least through June. And they need to offer refunds for those who cant reschedule or defer. Hey big multinational company, those of us with small businesses have to suck it up, you do too.

I agree-

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-03-21 8:57 AM
2020-03-21 10:08 AM

User image

I would love to take part in a JoGo challenge! I'm finding it incredibly hard to be motivated right now. Not only can we not swim, but it's too cold and icy here to run.

2020-03-21 11:02 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo I would love to take part in a JoGo challenge! I'm finding it incredibly hard to be motivated right now. Not only can we not swim, but it's too cold and icy here to run.

I'll have something ready by Monday.  This is what I am thinking for our At Home edition. Choose as many as you like:

• Keep on Moving
  • Run/walk streak (1 mile per day of running or walking)
  • Strength/core
  • Yoga/mindfulness

Suggestions?

2020-03-21 11:55 AM

Originally posted by fortissimo I would love to take part in a JoGo challenge! I'm finding it incredibly hard to be motivated right now. Not only can we not swim, but it's too cold and icy here to run.

I'll have something ready by Monday.  This is what I am thinking for our At Home edition. Choose as many as you like:

• Keep on Moving
  • Strength/core
  • Yoga/mindfulness

Suggestions?

How about drinking X amount of water a day? That is one I struggle with. Everyone can pick their own ounces.
2020-03-21 4:50 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri

• Keep on Moving
  • Strength/core
  • Yoga/mindfulness

Suggestions?

How about drinking X amount of water a day? That is one I struggle with. Everyone can pick their own ounces.

I'll add a Stay Hydrated tab as well.

2020-03-21 5:09 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by alaskatri

• Keep on Moving
  • Strength/core
  • Yoga/mindfulness

Suggestions?

I'll add a Stay Hydrated tab as well.

i like all of those things. Thanks Janyne
2020-03-22 9:34 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I saw Janyne posting some meal ideas - what are you guys making these days? I LOVE to cook, and can't remember the last time I ate at a restaurant or got take out, so this is not different for me. Except I'm not going to the grocery store every week now. The fresh veggie situation will be my biggest challenge.

Anyway, the most creative things I made this week with what I had in the pantry:

I had made a veggie alfredo pasta dish one night and had about half the jar of alfredo leftover. So the next night I made alfredo soup! Mixed chicken broth with the leftover alfredo sauce and put baby potatoes in the soup (along with veggies) instead of pasta. It was really good!

Had some thin cut pork chops but already did breadcrumb-coated pan fried chops, so cut them in thin strips and made a pork stir fried rice.

And last night, I made a 'fancier' dish - beef enchiladas. I didn't have red enchilada sauce so made my own (via a recipe online) with tomato sauce, chicken broth and spices. Super good!

2020-03-22 10:49 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Maybe we should have a pantry food cooking challenge? Dreading what will happen if I get down to rice and noodles only, which is pretty much what happened in China during SARS. (Luckily there was sort of a farm stand at our compound gate, so I did have some veggies and sometimes eggs--not great and very limited selection day to day, but better than nothing.) Noodles with cabbage. Rice with egg and celery. Noodles with tomatoes and egg. Rice with cabbage and tomatoes....You get the picture!

I remember coming back to the US and going nuts for days on fresh fruit and OJ, and being obsessed with good coffee and Mexican food for months. (Even at the best of times, you couldn't get the latter two easily in China back then.)
2020-03-22 12:01 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by lisac957

I saw Janyne posting some meal ideas - what are you guys making these days? I LOVE to cook, and can't remember the last time I ate at a restaurant or got take out, so this is not different for me. Except I'm not going to the grocery store every week now. The fresh veggie situation will be my biggest challenge.!

Today will be a big cooking day for us. About a year ago my son wanted to try to make homemade raviolis, so we bought some pasta flour. We did it once and they turned out great. Yesterday we found that we still had a few pounds of flour in the cabinet packed away from the move. So our plan is to make some cheese ones, and some meat/spinach ones. We'll vacuum seal them and freeze. We also bought a couple large cans of Costco size tomatoes and we'll make pasta sauce and freeze that too.

Yesterday we blanched and froze a lot of veggies and several pounds of coffee from out local favorite coffee house (a daily life essential).

Edited by alaskatri 2020-03-22 12:03 PM
2020-03-22 12:33 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

I saw Janyne posting some meal ideas - what are you guys making these days? I LOVE to cook, and can't remember the last time I ate at a restaurant or got take out, so this is not different for me. Except I'm not going to the grocery store every week now. The fresh veggie situation will be my biggest challenge.

Anyway, the most creative things I made this week with what I had in the pantry:

I had made a veggie alfredo pasta dish one night and had about half the jar of alfredo leftover. So the next night I made alfredo soup! Mixed chicken broth with the leftover alfredo sauce and put baby potatoes in the soup (along with veggies) instead of pasta. It was really good!

Had some thin cut pork chops but already did breadcrumb-coated pan fried chops, so cut them in thin strips and made a pork stir fried rice.

And last night, I made a 'fancier' dish - beef enchiladas. I didn't have red enchilada sauce so made my own (via a recipe online) with tomato sauce, chicken broth and spices. Super good!

I pulled together a bunch of "pantry" meals that can be made with mostly staples and posted it on my training blog. I'll be getting fresh produce as well but for me, the list was a good start.

2020-03-22 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The Manatee At Home Challenge sheet is available.

• Keep Moving
  • Run/Walk streak
  • Strength/Core
  • Yoga/Mindfulness
  • Hydration

We start tomorrow.  I plan to post reminders at least once a week.  I also included a resources tab with some things like example swim cord workouts, free yoga sessions, etc.  Please add any ideas that you run across to that tab.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127