BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-04-23 5:41 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by Atlantia Okay, that's it, I'm about ready to throw my Speedplays in the trash! I have the Ultra Light Action, and I can clip OUT of them just fine. Clipping in? Holy moly. It just doesn't happen! Even when on the trainer, standing with the cleat lined up over the pedal, with all my weight on it, I can't clip in. I have to slam my foot down super hard, and then it will eventually engage. So frustrating. I've cleaned them, lubed them, made sure the shims have everything level, etc. Anyone else have this issue? I think I've whined a bit about this to the pod before, but I kept on trying to love them. I really do like how much float they give my knee, and how easy they are to clip out of. Still....its kind of a deal breaker to not actually be able to start riding.

years ago I tried speedplays, but had soooo much trouble clipping in that I eventually gave up and got looks! I was told smaller females can have this issue with them. I don’t know if they changed anything in the 7ish years since I threw in the towel, but I feel your pain!

2019-04-23 5:42 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Fun fact: Pennsylvania's new official amphibian is the 2 foot long salamander called the Eastern hellbender, a nocturnal animal whose colorful nicknames include snot otter, lasagna lizard and mud devil.  It is the largest salamander in North America.  (paraphrased from LancasterOnline).  Snot otter! ha ha ha ha ha

They certainly are descriptive names

2019-04-24 4:44 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Atlantia Okay, that's it, I'm about ready to throw my Speedplays in the trash! I have the Ultra Light Action, and I can clip OUT of them just fine. Clipping in? Holy moly. It just doesn't happen! Even when on the trainer, standing with the cleat lined up over the pedal, with all my weight on it, I can't clip in. I have to slam my foot down super hard, and then it will eventually engage. So frustrating. I've cleaned them, lubed them, made sure the shims have everything level, etc. Anyone else have this issue? I think I've whined a bit about this to the pod before, but I kept on trying to love them. I really do like how much float they give my knee, and how easy they are to clip out of. Still....its kind of a deal breaker to not actually be able to start riding.

years ago I tried speedplays, but had soooo much trouble clipping in that I eventually gave up and got looks! I was told smaller females can have this issue with them. I don’t know if they changed anything in the 7ish years since I threw in the towel, but I feel your pain!

I went through a Speedplay phase some years ago and had to switch to something else --- same issue, so hard to clip into
2019-04-24 7:05 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by abake

I went through a Speedplay phase some years ago and had to switch to something else --- same issue, so hard to clip into

I should say that a friend who of similar size to me uses speedplays without issue.

2019-04-24 9:15 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

Fun fact: Pennsylvania's new official amphibian is the 2 foot long salamander called the Eastern hellbender, a nocturnal animal whose colorful nicknames include snot otter, lasagna lizard and mud devil.  It is the largest salamander in North America.  (paraphrased from LancasterOnline).  Snot otter! ha ha ha ha ha

Are you proposing that we change the name of our pod?

Ha ha ha, snot otter does have a certain, uh, ring to it. 

2019-04-24 9:16 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner Maybe I should change my username to Lasagna Lizard. I like Italian food and am very cold-blooded!

Henceforth you shall be known as Lasagna Lizard!

2019-04-24 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

I'm sorry to hear this :-( Bike gear is too expensive to throw out! I don't have Speedplays biut I'll be there are some screws to adjust somewhere. Have you talked to your LBS about this?

See the comments in this link. -- " too much torque on the outer plate"

My LBS told me "yeah, we hear that a lot. We don't recommend them."
I've adjusted the screws and it has helped to the point where I actually CAN clip in, rather than before when I couldn't manage it at all. So frustrating.
2019-04-24 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Originally posted by abake

I should say that a friend who of similar size to me uses speedplays without issue.

I think I would describe myself sturdy rather than smaller. Maybe its a Harry Potter situation (the wand chooses the wizard) where the pedals choose their cyclist. I am not one of the chosen.
I'm going to read a bit more and give them another go at my race this weekend and make a final decision.
2019-04-24 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia

I'm sorry to hear this :-( Bike gear is too expensive to throw out! I don't have Speedplays biut I'll be there are some screws to adjust somewhere. Have you talked to your LBS about this?

My LBS told me "yeah, we hear that a lot. We don't recommend them." I've adjusted the screws and it has helped to the point where I actually CAN clip in, rather than before when I couldn't manage it at all. So frustrating.

Super helpful, NOT!

My only other suggestion is to go back to the drawing more and reinstall using Speedplay's own video as a guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmSm5sEe4DI

Sorry!

2019-04-24 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

My LBS told me "yeah, we hear that a lot. We don't recommend them." I've adjusted the screws and it has helped to the point where I actually CAN clip in, rather than before when I couldn't manage it at all. So frustrating.

Super helpful, NOT!

My only other suggestion is to go back to the drawing more and reinstall using Speedplay's own video as a guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmSm5sEe4DI

Sorry!

Thanks for the link, Janyne. I'm going to try that tonight and give them a test ride tomorrow.
2019-04-24 11:27 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Super helpful, NOT!

Sorry!

Thanks for the link, Janyne. I'm going to try that tonight and give them a test ride tomorrow.

Oh that video reminds me that the dry wax lube is also important. I had the same issue you are having but the lube, time, and lesser tension on the screws took mine from very difficult to clip into (and, alarmingly, OUT OF) to comfortable to clip in/out.

2019-04-24 1:18 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Expert
Originally posted by awm007

Super helpful, NOT!

Sorry!

Oh that video reminds me that the dry wax lube is also important. I had the same issue you are having but the lube, time, and lesser tension on the screws took mine from very difficult to clip into (and, alarmingly, OUT OF) to comfortable to clip in/out.

I love my speedplays and had the same issue in the past. I didn't have to go to your extreme to make them work. I biggest issue is keeping them clean. Nothing is clean when you live on a dirt road.
2019-04-24 1:34 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert

Originally posted by glfprncs

Originally posted by fortissimo Is it Friday yet? Or better yet, May 28th? Monday our week started with a police standoff a few houses away from school. We had police with their AR 15s greeting kids at the door. Tuesday an hour before school gets out, I had one boy ask if he can answer his phone call from his mom. I always let them because if I don't they're only thinking about the phone. Few minutes later he asks, "Miss, my mom says my bus has been cancelled." I tell him not to worry because they probably had to cancel that us but will have another. 5 minutes later, I get a call to have another student leave for dismissal. He is very confused about why. We start playing again. There is an announcement that we can't hear because we're playing. So I call the office and no one answers. I call another office and no one answers. I send a kids to the office to ask - he comes back and says there's about 30 parents trying to pick up kids. I peek into the hall and see a few other teachers standing outside their classrooms. I look down towards the office and see a huge crowd of parents. One of the other teachers comes over and shows me his phone - the FBI, Colorado Department of Safety, and the Dept. of Ed have sent tweet saying that all schools should go on lockout and do controlled releases. There was a credible threat to the safety of all students at all schools. So, I had my kids put away their instruments. Our district decided to do a controlled release, meaning all kids had to be picked up by their parents or someone on their emergency contact. Probably half of the parents had already heard because of the news, social media, or the reverse call from the school. We had students call their parents to have them pick them up. Most parents were thankful. Others were down right horrible. Yes there was a long line to check their child out, but when you have 650 kids in a school and we have to check every ID and match it to the contact log, it's going to take a bit. Sorry you had to wait for your child for 30 minutes but that's the way it goes. Did I mention the last few kids weren't picked up until 8:30 last night? Those parents were not very happy. One had to leave work and two others were watching the Nuggets game. At home. On TV. Not at the Pepsi Center. Not kidding. At midnight we got the call that all school districts in Denver up to through the Wyoming border had cancelled school for today. The threat is over as the girl was found with a self-inflicted gun shot wound so we return to normal tomorrow. Whatever normal may be.

Oh my gosh! WHAT A WEEK!

I swear, it must've been nationwide!!! On Friday I was rolling towards school at 6:15 a.m. and that full moon stood out like a beacon. I had a gut feeling... We had a lockdown drill in the morning for a situation with a student and then in the afternoon, storms rolled through, we went under a tornado watch, then had to evacuate classrooms into the hallway and assume the 'kiss your a$$ goodbye tornado position' for 20 minute (a tornado was seen, but didn't actually touch down, 2 miles from school). While there, EVERYONE'S cell phone sends out the Tornado Watch alert, so we've got phones pinging and vibrating and shouting out at us that the threat is real and that this is NOT a drill. Three girls in my 5th period class (who were with me at the time) went into full blown panic attacks, so I'm crawling on the ground between them, trying to let them know we'd be okay, while still trying to keep my own self safe. At least my stress was because of mother nature and not because of some lunatic (well, except for the irate 12 year-old that put is on lockdown).

Wow, scary stuff!  I'm glad none of it came it be a full-on, real situation, although the tornado warning was close!  Glad you are safe.

I should have checked the board over the weekend, because I'm late to the party. Our elementary had to go on lock down last Thursday. A father heard gunshots when he was dropping off his child and freaked. Nobody else heard or noticed. The the staff got all of the kids in, and the police were called. The shooter heard it on a police scanner and called it. They were shooting a "varmint" in their backyard, about half a mile from the school. Welcome to rural Northern Michigan.

On a scarier note, we expelled and criminally charged a kid in the fall who was planning a coordinated attack with kids from other districts across the country. Our school found out when he posted a threatening post on snapchat. When the state police searched his phone and computer, they found a conversation with three other boys planning an attack at the same time and on the same day. The others were from Nevada and Arizona.
Our county has 25,000 people, and 4 school districts. I charge about one school threat per month. It is insane. The good news is school fights are down 2/3 compared to 15 years ago.
2019-04-26 10:34 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Happy Friday Manatees! 

How is everyone doing??

I managed to survive my husband's two-week work trip earlier this month - it was a lot of just keeping things going. I was really good about getting in my workouts because it made feel like i had a little time to myself (which i did not). 

Otherwise, doing well at consistency - with the JoGO to keep me accountable. though the weight loss one is more frustrating ... 

Anyway, today my little Logan turns 2. It's making me a little nostalgic. We won't do anything major. We gave him a little gift this morning and then we'll have some cake later. Tomorrow some family will come for pizza and cake. This morning he was singing happy birthday ... first, to himself? then to me LOL!

2019-04-26 10:36 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Happy Friday Manatees! 

How is everyone doing??

I managed to survive my husband's two-week work trip earlier this month - it was a lot of just keeping things going. I was really good about getting in my workouts because it made feel like i had a little time to myself (which i did not). 

Otherwise, doing well at consistency - with the JoGO to keep me accountable. though the weight loss one is more frustrating ... 

Anyway, today my little Logan turns 2. It's making me a little nostalgic. We won't do anything major. We gave him a little gift this morning and then we'll have some cake later. Tomorrow some family will come for pizza and cake. This morning he was singing happy birthday ... first, to himself? then to me LOL!

Did you say CAKE.  And then PIZZA and CAKE! I'm in!

2019-04-26 12:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Out of curiosity, who owns Running Warehouse? Did Jack Rabbit buy them? I'm asking because they are now carrying "rabbit" merchandise.

Jack Rabbit purchased two of our local running stores a few years back. They have not been at all the same since :-/

Hmm. The logos are not quite the same.

ETA: Crisis averted ;-)

Edited by jmkizer 2019-04-26 12:48 PM

(Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 1.37.14 PM.png)

(Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 1.38.24 PM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 1.37.14 PM.png (48KB - 1 downloads)
Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 1.38.24 PM.png (8KB - 1 downloads)

2019-04-26 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

Happy Friday Manatees! 

How is everyone doing??

Me too!

Did you say CAKE.  And then PIZZA and CAKE! I'm in!

2019-04-26 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Out of curiosity, who owns Running Warehouse? Did Jack Rabbit buy them? I'm asking because they are now carrying "rabbit" merchandise.

Jack Rabbit purchased two of our local running stores a few years back. They have not been at all the same since :-/

According to Mr Google, Joe Rubio owns RW.

2019-04-26 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

April 27-28
Lisa - Tour de Cure on Saturday
Anne - The Epic 150 in Missouri on Saturday
Jen Stewey - Pike’s Peak 10k on Sunday
Laura - Westfields Pool Sprint on Sunday

Is anyone else racing? Nancy, are you doing the half marathon tomorrow?

2019-04-26 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

According to Mr Google, Joe Rubio owns RW.

Good answer! Thanks!

2019-04-26 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

April 27-28

Wow, back to lots of racing Manatees! Enjoy!!

2019-04-26 1:33 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

April 27-28

Gooooooo Lisa, Anne, and Jen (& me!)
Should be a fun weekend.
2019-04-26 2:13 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

April 27-28

Gooooooo Lisa, Anne, and Jen (& me!)Should be a fun weekend.
Go racers!!!!
2019-04-26 7:37 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Good luck racers!
2019-04-26 10:14 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Expert
Good Luck Racers!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107