BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-03-22 1:18 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
80/20 Endurance ( Matt Fitzgerald) put out some good information about how to train or modify your training now. Hopefully, this is the https://www.8020endurance.com/how-to-modify-your-training-right-now/

2020-03-22 2:05 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by jmkizer

The Manatee At Home Challenge sheet is available.

• Keep Moving
  • Run/Walk streak
  • Strength/Core
  • Yoga/Mindfulness
  • Hydration

We start tomorrow.  I plan to post reminders at least once a week.  I also included a resources tab with some things like example swim cord workouts, free yoga sessions, etc.  Please add any ideas that you run across to that tab.

Thank you so very much, Janyne.
2020-03-22 2:10 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by amd72380/20 Endurance ( Matt Fitzgerald) put out some good information about how to train or modify your training now. Hopefully, this is the https://www.8020endurance.com/how-to-modify-your-training-right-now/... is a good article. Thanks. Along with everyone else, i am trying to figure out where I should go with training. I have spent the last 2 weeks going around in circles about all of the changes this situation has caused. Time to make a plan and move forward.
2020-03-22 3:43 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
FYI none of the Challenge sheets allow me to write my name. I think you need to check the settings.
2020-03-22 4:51 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner FYI none of the Challenge sheets allow me to write my name. I think you need to check the settings.

Ack! Sorry about that. It should be fixed.

2020-03-22 8:29 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by Hot Runner FYI none of the Challenge sheets allow me to write my name. I think you need to check the settings.

Ack! Sorry about that. It should be fixed.

Still shows up as view only on mine too.

Edit - working now. Thanks a ton Janyne.

Edited by alaskatri 2020-03-22 11:58 PM

2020-03-23 4:26 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by lisac957

I saw Janyne posting some meal ideas - what are you guys making these days? I LOVE to cook, and can't remember the last time I ate at a restaurant or got take out, so this is not different for me. Except I'm not going to the grocery store every week now. The fresh veggie situation will be my biggest challenge.

Anyway, the most creative things I made this week with what I had in the pantry:

I had made a veggie alfredo pasta dish one night and had about half the jar of alfredo leftover. So the next night I made alfredo soup! Mixed chicken broth with the leftover alfredo sauce and put baby potatoes in the soup (along with veggies) instead of pasta. It was really good!

Had some thin cut pork chops but already did breadcrumb-coated pan fried chops, so cut them in thin strips and made a pork stir fried rice.

And last night, I made a 'fancier' dish - beef enchiladas. I didn't have red enchilada sauce so made my own (via a recipe online) with tomato sauce, chicken broth and spices. Super good!

Those all sound really good and take advantage of leftovers We (both DH and I enjoy cooking) make a lot of stir fries. I've been on a quesadilla kick (easy and quick, can use leftover chicken or whatever).
Went looking for chicken the other day but the only meat left at Meijer were ribs. Picked up a half rack of baby backs and we let those cook really slowly in the oven yesterday, then finished them off on the grill.
2020-03-23 6:51 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723 80/20 Endurance ( Matt Fitzgerald) put out some good information about how to train or modify your training now. Hopefully, this is the https://www.8020endurance.com/how-to-modify-your-training-right-now/

Thanks!  I added that to the Resources tab as well.

Hopefully we Choo 70.3 peeps won't be in this situation for long:

Your event has not been rescheduled or cancelled (yet).

In many ways, this is the worst-case scenario.

2020-03-23 6:54 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by amd72380/20 Endurance ( Matt Fitzgerald) put out some good information about how to train or modify your training now. Hopefully, this is the https://www.8020endurance.com/how-to-modify-your-training-right-now/... is a good article. Thanks. Along with everyone else, i am trying to figure out where I should go with training. I have spent the last 2 weeks going around in circles about all of the changes this situation has caused. Time to make a plan and move forward.

I'm just doing week-to-week right now. Hopefully, I'll come to some more clarity soon.

I'm trying to do swim-specific strength 2x/week and yoga 2x/week.  Obviously, keep up the PT. It's the what to do about biking and running that I'm more up in the air about.

2020-03-23 7:08 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm just doing week-to-week right now. Hopefully, I'll come to some more clarity soon.

I'm trying to do swim-specific strength 2x/week and yoga 2x/week.  Obviously, keep up the PT. It's the what to do about biking and running that I'm more up in the air about.

I love that we’re in the worst case scenario group Right now I am following my training plan with the exception of swimming. Haven’t added dry cord work for 2 reasons: I don’t have them ( but are ordered); my shoulder is a bit sore so I’m letting it heal. Since I am now on 4 of 5 days work from home I may be adding yoga to the mix
2020-03-23 7:21 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I love that we’re in the worst case scenario group Right now I am following my training plan with the exception of swimming. Haven’t added dry cord work for 2 reasons: I don’t have them ( but are ordered); my shoulder is a bit sore so I’m letting it heal. Since I am now on 4 of 5 days work from home I may be adding yoga to the mix

My plan is to do the 15-minute yoga routines in The Sufferfest but I also linked to the Yoga with Adriene ones on YouTube in case others are interested. I've done those as well and they are pretty good.

I'm sort of following the 70.3 plan but will ride outside if possible on Tuesday and Thursday evening rather than do the shorter intensity workout indoors.  Mental health and all that.

2020-03-23 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

My plan is to do the 15-minute yoga routines in The Sufferfest but I also linked to the Yoga with Adriene ones on YouTube in case others are interested. I've done those as well and they are pretty good.

I'm sort of following the 70.3 plan but will ride outside if possible on Tuesday and Thursday evening rather than do the shorter intensity workout indoors.  Mental health and all that.

Thanks, I'll check out the link. I've found that using my gravel bike on Sunday has really made me happy, I don't think i can do that type of riding during the week bc the trails will be dark by the time I finish. I had been trying to figure out how to keep the gravel ride in the mix as my long bike got longer. I can just barely take a 2 hr trainer ride so have been able to do my up til now long ride on the trainer  Saturday after my long run and then add a sunday gravel ride. But now long rides are getting longer and I don't know that set up will be doable, so I'd really like some clarity with Choo!

2020-03-23 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks, I'll check out the link. I've found that using my gravel bike on Sunday has really made me happy, I don't think i can do that type of riding during the week bc the trails will be dark by the time I finish. I had been trying to figure out how to keep the gravel ride in the mix as my long bike got longer. I can just barely take a 2 hr trainer ride so have been able to do my up til now long ride on the trainer  Saturday after my long run and then add a sunday gravel ride. But now long rides are getting longer and I don't know that set up will be doable, so I'd really like some clarity with Choo!

I've been figuring out long rides. Can only go as far as how much water you can carry or how long you can delay a bathroom break -- no convenience store stops.  I guess loops from home but that keeps me in a less rural area...

2020-03-23 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I've been figuring out long rides. Can only go as far as how much water you can carry or how long you can delay a bathroom break -- no convenience store stops.  I guess loops from home but that keeps me in a less rural area...

I am not a big water drinker - i usually end up with most of the bottle left at the end of the ride. The exception is when i was going really long in the middle of summer for IMCHOO, but in general i am not a big drinker. For example, Saturday's 9ish mile run was done with no water. That is normal for me. Sunday i brought clorox wipes with me and did utilize the public restroom pre-ride, just made sure to flush with my foot, touch as little as possible, and sanitize myself! 

2020-03-23 8:57 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by lisac957

I saw Janyne posting some meal ideas - what are you guys making these days? I LOVE to cook, and can't remember the last time I ate at a restaurant or got take out, so this is not different for me. Except I'm not going to the grocery store every week now. The fresh veggie situation will be my biggest challenge.

Anyway, the most creative things I made this week with what I had in the pantry:

I had made a veggie alfredo pasta dish one night and had about half the jar of alfredo leftover. So the next night I made alfredo soup! Mixed chicken broth with the leftover alfredo sauce and put baby potatoes in the soup (along with veggies) instead of pasta. It was really good!

Had some thin cut pork chops but already did breadcrumb-coated pan fried chops, so cut them in thin strips and made a pork stir fried rice.

And last night, I made a 'fancier' dish - beef enchiladas. I didn't have red enchilada sauce so made my own (via a recipe online) with tomato sauce, chicken broth and spices. Super good!

Those all sound really good and take advantage of leftovers We (both DH and I enjoy cooking) make a lot of stir fries. I've been on a quesadilla kick (easy and quick, can use leftover chicken or whatever). Went looking for chicken the other day but the only meat left at Meijer were ribs. Picked up a half rack of baby backs and we let those cook really slowly in the oven yesterday, then finished them off on the grill.

I wish i liked to cook, but I really, really do not! Shortly before the lock down I started using a meal delivery service - fully cooked dinners. I planned on using them every other week. Since the lock down and the empty grocery shelves I've used them each week! Before i bring the cooler into my house i sanitize it and then i sanitize each of the containers. In addition to saving me the aggravation of shopping and cooking I feel like i'm helping to keep a local business alive.

2020-03-23 10:19 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

PA is in the next step of lockdown mode, has been since Friday morning - all non-life-sustaining businesses must close or will face fines, criminal penalties and possibly jail time.  This means my husband can no longer work (self-employed contractor).  This will be a challenging 2 weeks (hopefully not longer but I'm not counting on it) and finances could also get interesting.  At least I'm getting paid.

Yesterday I popped out to the grocery store to pick up some items for us (I really needed fresh veggies!) and my friend going through cancer treatment.  I went full out sanitizing the cart, myself, and all her items.  I had the total heebie jeebies until I was able to get home and change my clothes and shower.  I don't think I'll be going to the store again for a while unless she really needs something again.  

I later found out that Wegman's (a farther drive for me but I LOVE the store) was going all out on proper cleanliness procedures and distancing.  If I do need to make another store run, it will be 20 minutes to that store instead of 5 minutes to either of the stores here in my town.  Wegman's: barrier tape and red lines at checkout. Disinfected between each customer, then told people when they could approach.  Weis (where I went instead of Giant since they see less traffic generally): the cart boy outside disinfecting each cart.  Some clerks wore gloves.  That's it.

2020-03-23 10:22 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

I've been making some yummy meals, though.  Homemade empanadas Thursday.  Rosemary risotto Friday.  Jerk chicken, Jamaican red beans and coconut rice, steamed cabbage slaw Saturday.  Tomorrow will be 'perfect beans', as my mom and dad used to call them:  ham hocks and soy beans in the crock pot (with a little onion and celery, of course).

There were a few 'oh crap' moments when I realized I was missing a few ingredients for this or that but I was able to find/make creative substitutions.

2020-03-23 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi All,

Hope you're doing well this Monday morning. 

I have definitely been on a roller coaster of emotions BUT I have been doing all my run and bike workouts and added strength training. I am not going to do cords or anything. I found last work week really tough. I had trouble logging in (i already WFH several days a week so this shouldn't be an issue) and then trading time with my DH - but he was busy and any momentum i had on work just dwindled down to a trickle. And we had Logan to look after. At least he's a consistent napper. So, i felt like i was being a bad employee, a bad mom, all the guilt. Not making the right decisions, etc. 

Though, i did decide to take him out in the jogger one day last week figuring we could both use the time outside but he fell asleep and ruined his nap time ... 

I am going to just keep going with the training plan until i hear any differently.

Lisa, i also love to cook, too. I made a sesame chicken from Budget Bytes that turned out great last night. The sauce was stuff i already have in the pantry.  Lots of people have been raving about the NYT Cooking app but i haven't pulled the trigger. I already have quite a few sources and books I love. :D This week i am planning some butternut squash mac and cheese, some baked tacos, roast chicken, and chicken meatball soup i love! We will eat well but i probably will have to plan for some takeout. Our dishwasher already did hard work and is now run mostly twice a day! 

Has anyone cooked their way through a cookbook? I think that would be a good project.

We have a fruit and veggie delivery - i've been doing that for more than a year mostly because i missed going to the farmer's market and this gave me lots of local options. They are doing contactless delivery which it kind of was before. I put out my bin, they leave the fresh one on the doorstep.  I did have to do a way larger than usual shop because we are all home for all the meals ... Logan's daycare is fully catered so we don't usually have to do his lunch, Felicity has hot lunch at school once a week, etc. 

2020-03-23 7:39 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

I love to cook and finally have time!

Well, kind of. Teaching online takes way more time than in a classroom because I don't a lot of materials with me so I'm reinventing things. Telling kids to practice is easy, but not all of my students took their instruments home while others took their instruments but not their music or method books. Then you have the kids, which is most of mine, who can't really practice because they live in apartments or multigenerational homes.

Tonight I made chicken fajitas. A few weeks before the stores went crazy, our local Kroger had BYGO Redbird chicken so I bought 3 packages and got 3 free. Thursday, March 12 we knew schools were closing the following Monday and I felt the panic buying would be in full swing so I stopped at the store instead of doing my swim. I'm glad I did! I got the last pound of grass-fed ground beef, the last pound of Italian sausage, some milk, a few other dairy products, and fresh veggies. There was no paper products, bread, pasta, beans, rice, boxed mac and cheese, flour, sugar, frozen pizza, very little frozen meals or veggies. It was really surreal. Oh no sugary boxed cereals which we don't eat but I was standing in that aisle waiting to be checked out.

I do freezer meal planning so I have a few meals left. I also did an Amazon Fresh order last Tuesday and got a few other things that we needed but Kroger doesn't have, like ketchup and bananas. The bananas were so green we still can't eat them, haha! We have enough in our freezer to last a while for us plus to feed my mom as well.

Speaking of my mom, I couldn't get her to stop going to the store every day last week. She only shops for food a few days at a time, but she was going to several stores each trip to find items. Finally my husband told her to stop doing that. She's 75 and in good health, but she won't listen to her daughters. She will only listen to her son-in-laws and her grand daughter. grrr!

Hope everyone is well!
2020-03-23 9:10 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

The Manatee At Home Challenge sheet is available.

• Keep Moving
  • Run/Walk streak
  • Strength/Core
  • Yoga/Mindfulness
  • Hydration

We start tomorrow.  I plan to post reminders at least once a week.  I also included a resources tab with some things like example swim cord workouts, free yoga sessions, etc.  Please add any ideas that you run across to that tab.

My favorite Tab on here is the Resource tab with all the information on land based swim training.  I have really struggled with swim training for the past year and a half since we lost two of the other four engineers in my office.  Swimming at lunch just doesn't gel with my current work load and I don't have a pool at home so once I leave town at to rush home for family dinner Swimming isn't going to happy.  Home Swim stuff that I can doing from home in the mornings could be just what I need.

2020-03-23 9:32 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Same issue with Mom. Mine's 81 and I've had a very hard time persuading her to take this seriously. Up to about ten days ago, before things starting shutting down, I could not persuade her to stop daily trips to the grocery store, going to her favorite coffee shop and the library a few times a week, etc. It wasn't until last weekend that she resigned herself to the fact that our planned trip to Hawaii wasn't going to happen. (Hawaii's now shut down most of the hotels and instituted a mandatory 14-day quarantine for ALL arrivals from off-island, so I don't think the trip would have been much fun.) Mom also tended to shop for a few days at a time and we had very little surplus. I have done 4-5 "stock up" trips over the past two weeks (basically, just buying what I normally would for a week for two people) so I think we have what we need. (No, we didn't hoard toilet paper!) I never had a car when living overseas, and brought in some products not available locally from the US (when I lived in China) and Singapore (when I lived in Vietnam) so I'm pretty good at figuring how much I need and how long supplies will last. No stranger to rationing--my first ten years in the sport, I was doing it with all my sports hydration and nutrition products!

Two weeks ago Mom was telling me I was paranoid--not anymore.

2020-03-24 9:30 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

It's all so strange but i do worry about actual social isolation which is bad for us too. Mental health is health too - so even though some older folks seem to be acting like teenagers its perfectly normal to cling to routines. It's such a tough balance because the danger to our physical health is real. 

I know my mom struggles with depression so any way that we can help while still being physically distant but not actually socially can be helpful. My mom, sisters and i have a group chat which we are checking in on every day and just sending random photos. I hope it helps. 

2020-03-24 9:47 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

It's all so strange but i do worry about actual social isolation which is bad for us too. Mental health is health too - so even though some older folks seem to be acting like teenagers its perfectly normal to cling to routines. It's such a tough balance because the danger to our physical health is real. 

I know my mom struggles with depression so any way that we can help while still being physically distant but not actually socially can be helpful. My mom, sisters and i have a group chat which we are checking in on every day and just sending random photos. I hope it helps. 

My mom's quilt group is meeting via Zoom today.  Her book club is meeting via Zoom tomorrow.  They seem to be figuring it out.

Oh, and the quilters are doing the face masks.

2020-03-24 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by juniperjen

My mom's quilt group is meeting via Zoom today.  Her book club is meeting via Zoom tomorrow.  They seem to be figuring it out.

Oh, and the quilters are doing the face masks.

that's excellent! 

2020-03-24 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ann-Marie, they apparently closed the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.  Too many visitors.

"All access to the park, including trails and roads, will temporarily close,” park officials said in the email.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127