BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2013-12-26 6:25 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Subject: RE: Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed.
I might need some new french curse words! Today was our Christmas morning (due to my work schedule), I've been counting down the days until I got to open my new power meter, but I apparently tweaked my knee yesterday and can't even walk without limping. I tried just some easy spinning and the knee said "no way". AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHH! Might wait until the kids go to be and at least try and set it all up, even if I have to turn the pedals with my hands. Or maybe a good time for one legged pedaling drills? I AM CRYING HERE!

2013-12-26 10:05 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Yeah Reece, you should be fine. That's what I use and train with outdoors. But the FR305 will not display power data.
2013-12-26 11:48 PM
in reply to: m.a.burghart

User image

Originally posted by m.a.burghartYeah Reece, you should be fine. That's what I use and train with outdoors. But the FR305 will not display power data.
Just to clarify, no garmin will display virtual power. That's calculated by the PC application (golden cheetah, trainer road). You don't even need a bike computer to use virtual power.
2013-12-27 5:20 AM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RunningJoke

I might need some new french curse words! Today was our Christmas morning (due to my work schedule), I've been counting down the days until I got to open my new power meter, but I apparently tweaked my knee yesterday and can't even walk without limping. I tried just some easy spinning and the knee said "no way". AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHH! Might wait until the kids go to be and at least try and set it all up, even if I have to turn the pedals with my hands. Or maybe a good time for one legged pedaling drills? I AM CRYING HERE!

I remember when Chrissie Wellington called her crash two weeks before Kona "sub-optimal". This is "sub-optimal".

Is there anything you did that provoked this ? Any idea of what it could be ? Do you get to skip the line at ER ?

We have people hurting knees and losing finger parts...folks, stay healthy,we haven't started yet :-)

Seriously, I hope this is just a one/two day thing. Don't rush it, gruelling, sweating, french cursing workouts will be ready for you when you are ready for them.
2013-12-27 9:30 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by RunningJoke I might need some new french curse words! Today was our Christmas morning (due to my work schedule), I've been counting down the days until I got to open my new power meter, but I apparently tweaked my knee yesterday and can't even walk without limping. I tried just some easy spinning and the knee said "no way". AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHH! Might wait until the kids go to be and at least try and set it all up, even if I have to turn the pedals with my hands. Or maybe a good time for one legged pedaling drills? I AM CRYING HERE!
I remember when Chrissie Wellington called her crash two weeks before Kona "sub-optimal". This is "sub-optimal". Is there anything you did that provoked this ? Any idea of what it could be ? Do you get to skip the line at ER ? We have people hurting knees and losing finger parts...folks, stay healthy,we haven't started yet :-) Seriously, I hope this is just a one/two day thing. Don't rush it, gruelling, sweating, french cursing workouts will be ready for you when you are ready for them.

Jaime -- rest and ice!!  Elevate if you can.  I've been through knee injuries and they suck.  Hopefully this was just a minor tweak and a little time (like a couple days!) will take care of it....then you can play with your new toy.

Marc -- will you be posting a youtube video to teach us these French curse words?  I only know how to curse (fluently) in English....I can make Spanish work too

2013-12-27 11:39 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Well that was a complete bust! I went for a ride with a friend, and thought I'd get some good power data. Not a hard ride, easy pace, some hills, mostly rolling, some flat.

So.....my average power was 2, with a max of 8! I knew it was easy, but really? I calibrated it, twice, because after 30 minutes I noticed it was not working. I have no idea what the problem is, it worked fine 2 weeks ago on an outdoor ride. I just changed the battery in Sept., so I doubt it's a battery issue. Arrr, frustrating!

And then the battery in my HR monitor died halfway out (I knew that was getting low), so I have no data except time & distance.

Need to figure out what happened.....and fix it stat!

2013-12-27 11:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by karen26.2

Well that was a complete bust! I went for a ride with a friend, and thought I'd get some good power data. Not a hard ride, easy pace, some hills, mostly rolling, some flat.

So.....my average power was 2, with a max of 8! I knew it was easy, but really? I calibrated it, twice, because after 30 minutes I noticed it was not working. I have no idea what the problem is, it worked fine 2 weeks ago on an outdoor ride. I just changed the battery in Sept., so I doubt it's a battery issue. Arrr, frustrating!

And then the battery in my HR monitor died halfway out (I knew that was getting low), so I have no data except time & distance.

What kind of computer/head unit are you using ? Can you upload it to Garmin connect and share it ?
That makes no sense at all.

How do you do your calibrate ?

Edited by marcag 2013-12-27 12:00 PM
2013-12-27 2:01 PM

User image

Pro

It would be great to hear what some of the quieter posters are up to even it's "haven't started yet"

So the shy folks in the group, let us know how you are doing.  

Not shy, but I've been quiet! I was home visiting family from 12/21-12/26. First trainer ride since vacay is on the agenda for today - and a longer (or outside?!) ride on tap for Sunday. 

I'm hoping to get all of the awesome power stuff up and running. If nothing else, I'll post the data after the ride. I've been having technology issues - like a Garmin that works intermittently... the Joule seems to be reliable though

2013-12-27 3:52 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

What kind of computer/head unit are you using ? Can you upload it to Garmin connect and share it ? That makes no sense at all.How do you do your calibrate ?
Garmin 910, I uploaded to strava and it showed the same 2 & 8???On the garmin you can calibrate in settings. I don't do it every time but tried today after I noticed it was not picking up.I'll see if garmin connect uploads something different but I'm not very hopeful.....
2013-12-27 4:39 PM
in reply to: karen26.2

User image

Extreme Veteran

What kind of computer/head unit are you using ? Can you upload it to Garmin connect and share it ? That makes no sense at all.How do you do your calibrate ?
Garmin 910, I uploaded to strava and it showed the same 2 & 8???On the garmin you can calibrate in settings. I don't do it every time but tried today after I noticed it was not picking up.I'll see if garmin connect uploads something different but I'm not very hopeful.....

Do you have a separate cadence sensor ? If not, your powertap sends cadence data. Check if you are getting cadence data. If you are getting cadence data and not power data that may give some hints.
2013-12-27 5:09 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
just got called by my LBS...my PT is delayed (issues with backorders) so my wheel/hub/PT won't be ready for a few weeks...sigh

they did say that when I get back from vaca in Disney at the end of next week, I can use their demo wheel with PT in it

I guess I'll just play with my Garmin 910 for now in the pool.
Dale

2013-12-27 6:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
Tried a 20 min CP ride on the trainer today. Was feeling like I still had something in the tank, so pushed the last 2 minutes.

First time on the trainer in over a year, so will probably try this again in the near future.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/420197234

I used the testing example they have here on BT:

** On testing days, make sure to fuel properly and be relatively rested. It would be wise to take it easy the day before **

WU: 10min @ 65-70%CP + 5min alternating 30 seconds @ 95-105% CP/ 30 seconds @ 65-70% CP + 5min @ 70-75%CP
MS: maxima test - 20 min all out
CD: 5-10min @ 55-65% CP
Total time 45-50 min

The 20 Minute Maximal Power Field Test: Remember that the goal for the test is to ride as hard as possible but at the same time at a pace which allows you to complete the entire test. It is wiser to start a bit easier and build up effort finishing strong. Make you calibrate you power meter before the test, your trainer set up is in the same (or very similar conditions for all testing), enough fluids, a towel and the most important; you have to have fan(s) or something to cool you down as over heating can impact your testing negatively.

The average power for the test is what we'll use to calculate your Critical Power (in addition of a shorter 5 min test) and your training levels will be percentages of that. It is very important that you should finish knowing you gave it everything you had but also to NOT start so hard for better results. After the test spin easy for 10-15 minutes as cool down.
2013-12-27 6:22 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Originally posted by marcag  Do you have a separate cadence sensor ? If not, your powertap sends cadence data. Check if you are getting cadence data. If you are getting cadence data and not power data that may give some hints.

Yes I do have a separate cadence sensor, so I of course have my cadence from the ride. I'm assuming it's from that sensor and not the powertap. I didn't realize the powertap would give me that, I had the speed cadence sensor from when I was using Trainer Road and virtual power.

I just spent 45 minutes fighting with Garmin Connect, trying to log in, finally got in, then trying to upload, which was a big fat fail. I told you I'm not technical! I'll have my husband help me tomorrow - with the powertap, Gamin Connect, Strava & GC. (BTW - I did watch the videos and they were helpful.)

2013-12-27 7:34 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
My ANT+ USB is supposed to be delivered on or about January 2. I think I'll try to connect to my 305 in the meantime, and install GC also.
2013-12-27 8:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Installed a new chain, BB and the power meter tonight! After a quick test it only looks like there is about a 10 watt difference between VP on TR and the power2max meter. (pm is lower) I'll do a ride tomorrow morning following my usual trainer setup collecting the pm data to the garmin and the VP to trainer road to see how they compare.
2013-12-28 3:51 AM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

Pro
NJ
Afraid to say I've been added to the injured list for a short bit. I was out on a trail run up in VT on Weds and went down hard. Broke my right arm (proximal radius). Fortunately i was inly a mile or so from the trail head so it wasnt a long hike out. They were able to reduce the fx so I'm in a splint and sling with a bit of Vicodin until I can back to NJ to see my ortho. i dont think i used any french cursewords but apparently was quite entertaining under the influence of dilaudid and versed. Hopefully it will just reqiure a cast for 4-6. The trainer should actually be a pretty good choice during that time and I now have a legit reason for not getting to the pool.

2013-12-28 4:05 AM
in reply to: croyston

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by croyston

Tried a 20 min CP ride on the trainer today. Was feeling like I still had something in the tank, so pushed the last 2 minutes.

First time on the trainer in over a year, so will probably try this again in the near future.

You're a masochist :-) And yes, we will be trying this in the near future. It's one of the first things Shane wants to do and the protocol will be very close to that. At least you have a target now to work with

For the others, it gives us a few more days to recover knees, get our PMs, find out where our disappearing watts went
2013-12-28 4:34 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kcarroll
The trainer should actually be a pretty good choice during that time and I now have a legit reason for not getting to the pool.

While it sucks, BIG TIME, sounds like you will be ready just in time for the testing fun.

But we better hurry up and test before we lose more bodies
2013-12-28 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Seriously, we are dropping like flies! I had to crack open an imperial stout last night after the Garmin Connect upload issues. (It was fabulous!)

Going to attempt to get powertap working again today. The only thing I can think of is I turned on the zeros on my garmin before the ride yesterday. I checked my last prior outdoor ride two weeks ago with zeros off & average was 203, so it was working recently. Stay tuned...wish me luck!

2013-12-28 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

We will probably be starting the actual workouts in early January. I think Shane is going to want to test pretty early on. Between Christmas and New Year's is not a good time to test.

Plenty of time to get your setups done. It would be great to hear what some of the quieter posters are up to even it's "haven't started yet"

BTW, those that are intimidated by the technology part are more than welcome to do the workouts outside the training tab with their Garmin (if you have a real power meter and not VP)

Also, while I have not done it, I am pretty sure you can load the workout files (.mrc files) into Trainerroad.

If you don't like GC, there are alternatives. We can discuss those, so please, if it's too complex, let us know.

So the shy folks in the group, let us know how you are doing.

I will post a full list of names in a couple of days.

I just tested this by downloading all the erg files in GC and then dragging and dropping into the Trainerroad workout creator. It works for anyone wondering. Took me a few minutes to figure out but you could do them in a batch and it'd be pretty seamless. I will probably go this route since I'm already using Trainerroad and am on a couple groups. It also seems to work a little easier for me. Then, just upload the data into GC afterwards for analysis.

I've been dabbling on the bike but nothing crazy. Just getting myself ready for the work. I may do a Sufferfest later today.
2013-12-28 10:41 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

I got my Retul bike fit yesterday as step 1 in moving from the hybrid to a road bike. Critical numbers came out to 542mm Stack and 384mm Reach. The shop that did the fit is mostly a Scott and Orbea dealer so I got a few options that fit me. The Orbea while nice is probably a little outside the budget (especially if I tack on a power meter) which leaves me with either a Speedster 20 or CR1 20, if I go with a bike from their shop. Still working on the budget so I'm at least 30 days out from making the choice.

The whole experience was pretty cool as I knew I was having some issues with my right knee and the consultation revealed that my right knee is bowing/pushing away from the frame. He thought it might be due to less mobility/flexibility in my right hip compared to the left.

Based on the other comments from the mentor group, I guess I'm lucky I was able to complete the bike fit without getting injured. Be careful out there.

Ron

2013-12-28 10:51 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by croyston Tried a 20 min CP ride on the trainer today. Was feeling like I still had something in the tank, so pushed the last 2 minutes. First time on the trainer in over a year, so will probably try this again in the near future.
You're a masochist :-) And yes, we will be trying this in the near future. It's one of the first things Shane wants to do and the protocol will be very close to that. At least you have a target now to work with For the others, it gives us a few more days to recover knees, get our PMs, find out where our disappearing watts went

in doing the BT/Jorge program testing multiple times I found that I can have a better 20' test if I perform the 5' test first.  I've been between 28W and 39W lower for the 20' test result vs the 5' test.  I always have a biggest difference for the 1st test after not being on teh bike in a while and narrower after doing all of the program.  So if it been a while, I take my 5' test calc the speed to be ~35W less and try to hang on or if I've done the threshold phase calc for and shoot for 30W less.  Either way the 20' test is a horrible beast!

2013-12-28 10:53 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by JAYCT

I just tested this by downloading all the erg files in GC and then dragging and dropping into the Trainerroad workout creator. It works for anyone wondering. Took me a few minutes to figure out but you could do them in a batch and it'd be pretty seamless. I will probably go this route since I'm already using Trainerroad and am on a couple groups. It also seems to work a little easier for me. Then, just upload the data into GC afterwards for analysis.

I've been dabbling on the bike but nothing crazy. Just getting myself ready for the work. I may do a Sufferfest later today.

Jason, can we do a little test ?
The group can do this as well if they want

Attached here is something "like" an erg file, it's a MRC. Can you try it in TR

An erg file has absolute numbers like 200watts. A MRC file is similar but uses percentages and then GC just calculates watts based on your FTP
So we can give 1 MRC file out and everyone can use it because the power levels will get adjusted based on everyone's individual FTP

The MRC goes for about 10minutes at 60%, then some 70%, some 80%, back to 70 and two short 100% intervals
If people ride this, the 60% should be easy. The 70% would be roughly IM effort. They 80% roughly HIM effort. The 100% should be FTP effort. The intervals are short. In theory, if your FTP is accurate, you should be able to hold these for 1 hour.
If you find the different levels too tough or too easy, your FTP is probably off in GC which is OK, because we are going to test.

Attachments
----------------
SampleMRC.mrc (0KB - 15 downloads)
2013-12-28 10:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Donto
Either way the 20' test is a horrible beast!

I may download this
http://www.thesufferfest.com/video-sufferfests/rubberglove/

Watch the preview

Edited by marcag 2013-12-28 10:57 AM
2013-12-28 10:57 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

That chart is very interesting, a great feedback mechanism.  Looking forward to making my own chart this year!

Originally posted by ligersandtions - question for you about Golden Cheetah: is there a way to overlay your max 5/20/60/90/120 minute power output on the PMC, or is that something you can only do in Training Peaks?  I'd really like to have that feature, but I haven't been able to figure out if you can do it or not.
For those that don't know what a PMC is, here is a bit of a teaser. We will cover this again, but seeing it now will just make it easier to relate to later A PMC chart shows how much work/fitness we have done over time Here is my PMC for all 3 sports combined over time (3 years in this case). But a PMC is normally maintained per sport, especially for the bike.

THe blue line is the equivalent of my fitness. It uses a formula that averages work done in the last 40 or so days. Notice it's at it's lowest during the off-season (now) and highest a few weeks before a race, The red line is short term fatigue. I do a really hard workout/week and it spikes The yellow line is my stress balance. It's basically a measure of how fresh I am. It drops when mty fatigue spikes So the idea is to get the blue line as high as possible, for maximum fitness. In doing so, my short term fatigue is also going to go very high. If i wanted to race at the peak of that fitness, I may not do well because I was so fatigued So the idea is to get a very high blue line, then taper and gain more freshness than I am losing fitness What is interesting about this chart is it shows that over the years, I have raised my training load. The lows (typically) in Dec are still higher year over year. If you notice the dotted lines on the right, those are my projected loads for 2014 so I can hit a peak greater than ever before So what is cool is I can quantify the work I need to do and my power meter will allow me to translate that into watts and hours of training This is a great way to say "this year I want to do 10% more than last year". Or it's a way to say "People that KQ typically put X TSS". Or "if my load is Y, I end up getting sick or injuring myself" All these numbers are derived from power. We will measure your FTP. TSS will be used to calculate the load of a workout based on your FTP and the Power you generated in the workout. This chart is an accumulation of those TSS scores. If this is Chinese, NO PROBLEMO. We will slowly get back into this and it will become more clear as we move forward If you have historic power data, this chart could be built from it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  

of 73

RELATED POSTS

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16143 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29644 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 60763 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
author : jasongootman
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.