BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-05-28 8:50 AM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by rymac

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by Fred D So I asked on Facebook but I am debating the merits of adding a disc cover to my 808 FC clinchers. Thoughts?

Disc is your fastest option - I would unless the conditions/course doesn't allow for it.

I would. But would you be taking the cover on and off between races?

I just put my cover on/off for the first time for my race this past weekend and, considering I am usually terrible at bike repair/maintenance, I found it to be incredibly easy.

I would.

x2...I put a cover on my 808 rear before I got my Super 9.  Since my PT on my training wheel is my only power meter I actually put a cover on my DT Swiss wheel and used it to race IM AZ last November.  Ideally I'd get a crank-based PM so that I can use my Super 9 but don't want to spend the $$

2014-05-28 9:29 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by Fred D

Personally I have found it harder to get my watts up in an olympic, especially if it's cool out. It seems to take me a little bit to get warmed up enough to generate power.

My olympic from 2 weeks ago I missed my power goal by about 30 watts...

Interesting, Fred - I am the same way. I feel like it takes me about 30 minutes to really get going, especially if it is cold out. My Olympic a couple of weeks ago was about 25 watts low at the beginning. Not sure what it was overall as I pulled a bone-head move and broke my power meter about 25 minutes into the race.

Do you guys warm up on the bike beforehand?  I've taken to getting in 20-25min on the bike with some efforts at goal wattage so I get the legs turning over.  Otherwise I always come out flat on the bike.  I started this a couple of years ago and t's worked well for me so far.

Are you referring to race day?  I can understand this in a bike race, but how do you warm up on the bike before a tri?  For bike races and or very hard interval days, I absolutely warm up well on the bike in order to hit my goals.

I take it for a ride....I normally get to the race site so I have enough time to setup transition and then get out on the bike.  There are no rules preventing it from being done, except when I've raced HIM they don't let bikes leave transition.  But for Sprints and Olys you can.

Does running help you at all for this?

Not that I found.  I typically find myself to be a bit of a slow starter on the bike - tend to noodle along a bit before I can get power out.  So I'll warm up lightly and then get a few km under me at race wattage and the legs just seem to respond that much better once the bike legs starts.

2014-05-28 9:32 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Fred D So I asked on Facebook but I am debating the merits of adding a disc cover to my 808 FC clinchers. Thoughts?

Disc is your fastest option - I would unless the conditions/course doesn't allow for it.

I know wheelbuilder recommends not keeping the cover on  - only use for racing (I don't recall their site giving the specifics as to why, but maybe it does).  I usually get my bike setup on Saturday and take it out for a shakedown ride to make it's all good before racing on Sunday.

2014-05-28 10:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by dtoce
Originally posted by rymac

I just put my cover on/off for the first time for my race this past weekend and, considering I am usually terrible at bike repair/maintenance, I found it to be incredibly easy.

I would.

I can say, that I am also pretty bad at doing mechanical things on the bike and I was able to stumble through setting up the disc cover on the 808's.The video said that using sandpaper on the center hole on the side with the powertap hub would help it seat better, as mine had a little warp once I put it on. The disc cover was hitting the speed/cadence sensor. Once I did that, it was better and there was no noise from rubbing.Also, I found that you have to make sure that once all the snaps are on, you recenter the cover to allow the valve stem to be perfectly centered. It moved a little bit, even though I had put tape to hold it centered. After recentering, I then tightened them all up and taped it with black tape around the outside. Absolutely no noise at all!Now, trying to pump the tire with the 'crack pipe' and one hand has shown me that I was a bit early in stopping my strength training. (I'm so weak...)Oh, one more thing, be careful putting the cassette back on, you need to have the spacers exactly the same. And it's a good time to clean up the cassette and re-lube it. Mine didn't fit back on right away, due to the dirt/sand in there, but once I cleaned it up, it went back on. And if you tighten it up too much, like I did, the powermeter won't work. My numbers went from the usual callibration of 510ish to 800's, so I knew I did something wrong. I just took off the cover-again, popped the battery out and then back in. Tightened it up correctly and it all worked!
Dale, you bring up an interesting point for me. I use a PT powermeter so the entire hub just pops off and on. I had replaced the 12-23 for Miami with my 12-30 for escape. Last few rides, I've had an occasional calibration issue, the pt will calibrate to 7XX and not give any readings unless I coasted, then I would get 3,XXX power. I'm not that good. Yet. Anyway you think the torque on the cassette affects this? I don't think I over tighten but not using a torque wrench. I just go until I feel the "catch" for lack of a better word and then tighten just a little more.

much like shaving the legs, getting a race haircut, I find the disc cover installation all part of the race prep process, and it calms me

Edited by ChrisM 2014-05-28 10:18 AM

2014-05-28 10:50 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by ChrisM

Dale, you bring up an interesting point for me. I use a PT powermeter so the entire hub just pops off and on. I had replaced the 12-23 for Miami with my 12-30 for escape. Last few rides, I've had an occasional calibration issue, the pt will calibrate to 7XX and not give any readings unless I coasted, then I would get 3,XXX power. I'm not that good. Yet. Anyway you think the torque on the cassette affects this? I don't think I over tighten but not using a torque wrench. I just go until I feel the "catch" for lack of a better word and then tighten just a little more.

much like shaving the legs, getting a race haircut, I find the disc cover installation all part of the race prep process, and it calms me

Chris
I don't know if it does or does not. I do know that it happened to me. This is the first time for me, so it is entirely possible I overtightened it or did something else that I was unaware of. I just know that the usual calibration should be 510 +/- 10ish and when it went funky high, I took the battery out, took the cassette off and retightened them...just enough, and it all worked.

I would suggest that if you get calibration numbers that are way off (actually zero torque offset numbers, I believe) or your power is inappropriate, take the battery out and put it back in-even without replacing it and see if the numbers are OK. If not, replace the battery and try it again.

It is certainly possible that you did what I did when you changed cassettes for Miami.
2014-05-28 11:35 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Chris I don't know if it does or does not. I do know that it happened to me. This is the first time for me, so it is entirely possible I overtightened it or did something else that I was unaware of. I just know that the usual calibration should be 510 +/- 10ish and when it went funky high, I took the battery out, took the cassette off and retightened them...just enough, and it all worked. I would suggest that if you get calibration numbers that are way off (actually zero torque offset numbers, I believe) or your power is inappropriate, take the battery out and put it back in-even without replacing it and see if the numbers are OK. If not, replace the battery and try it again. It is certainly possible that you did what I did when you changed cassettes for Miami.

It's weird.  I did a 4X bike/run interval session Monday.  The first interval it calibrated and was fine (mine usually calibrates 495 ish).  The second inteval it calibrates 0.000 torque and 77X.   Put a new battery in between intervals and that fixed it for #3.  When I calibrated #4, I got something like -290 (yes, minus....) for one calibration, then it calibrated fine the second time..  Bike's been sent to SF for Escape so hopefully it works there, otherwise I'll jigger with the cassette.

Which begs the question, when tightening it, how tight is appropriate?  Again, I don't put too much muscle into it, but maybe it's still too much

2014-05-28 11:54 AM

Master
, California

Chris I don't know if it does or does not. I do know that it happened to me. This is the first time for me, so it is entirely possible I overtightened it or did something else that I was unaware of. I just know that the usual calibration should be 510 +/- 10ish and when it went funky high, I took the battery out, took the cassette off and retightened them...just enough, and it all worked. I would suggest that if you get calibration numbers that are way off (actually zero torque offset numbers, I believe) or your power is inappropriate, take the battery out and put it back in-even without replacing it and see if the numbers are OK. If not, replace the battery and try it again. It is certainly possible that you did what I did when you changed cassettes for Miami.

It's weird.  I did a 4X bike/run interval session Monday.  The first interval it calibrated and was fine (mine usually calibrates 495 ish).  The second inteval it calibrates 0.000 torque and 77X.   Put a new battery in between intervals and that fixed it for #3.  When I calibrated #4, I got something like -290 (yes, minus....) for one calibration, then it calibrated fine the second time..  Bike's been sent to SF for Escape so hopefully it works there, otherwise I'll jigger with the cassette.

Which begs the question, when tightening it, how tight is appropriate?  Again, I don't put too much muscle into it, but maybe it's still too much

Cassette torque spec is something insanely high, like 40 Nm.  It's usually printed on the cassette lockring I think.  You'd have a tough time even getting to that torque unless you have a very long wrench.

2014-05-28 1:38 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Originally posted by spudone

Cassette torque spec is something insanely high, like 40 Nm.  It's usually printed on the cassette lockring I think.  You'd have a tough time even getting to that torque unless you have a very long wrench.

OK, I ain't doing that.   Thanks

2014-05-29 6:42 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-05-29 7:34 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Fred - NICE wheels!  Fast fast fast…  Go with the disc - if for no other reason than the "whumpwhumpwhump" sound it makes (oh yeah, and it's even faster!).

Ryan - awesome race!  You are going to kill it in a couple weeks!  Ummmm… Remind me, what AG are you in?  Looks like I'll be there, as well (you're still doing Grand Rapids, right?).

Had a great run with Kim yesterday around the "lake" in Austin.  Slow run, but very neat park system, and TONS of runners out.

I've decided to "race" Grand Rapids on 6/8.  Fitness is close to what I want, but haven't been able to drill with much intensity secondary to injury recovery.  I figure I'll take what the day will give me - I'm happy just to be able to start!  

Since I can't "win" with anything I do in the next week, but I sure can "lose" my race if I'm not smart, I'm doing a "peaktaper" of just over a week (couple peak workouts, if I can get them in, but mostly taper).   My second HIM ever, and with a suboptimal couple months of training (which stinks after, for me, a really good start to the year).  

We'll see!

Matt

2014-05-29 7:41 AM

Master
Guilford, CT
Hypothetical question.

If you could either get a decent set of wheels or a powermeter, which would you get?

I read a couple articles and have been wrestling a bit with this one. I have some stock Fulcrum Race 5s that came on my bike that I've been rolling around on. I had been used to the powertap hed jet 6 wheels I had for 3 years but now I find myself missing the powertap and the wheels but it is a stretch for me to get either one back into my quiver. I do feel like my training has been wishy washy without the powertap. I'll either do tempo type riding or just smash a hill or strava segment as a vo2 or threshold type of interval but really not with any structure. On the other hand, when I'm going 25+mph and mixing it up on a group ride or even the few races I've done I really wouldn't mind getting some aero benefit. Especially when a lot of these things are decided by a bike length or less. One thing with the powermeter (I'd probably just opt to throw an stages crank arm on) is that it is a lot less likely to break than a nice set of wheels so that is another consideration.

Been having this debate with myself for 2 weeks now.

2014-05-29 8:00 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by JAYCT Hypothetical question. If you could either get a decent set of wheels or a powermeter, which would you get? I read a couple articles and have been wrestling a bit with this one. I have some stock Fulcrum Race 5s that came on my bike that I've been rolling around on. I had been used to the powertap hed jet 6 wheels I had for 3 years but now I find myself missing the powertap and the wheels but it is a stretch for me to get either one back into my quiver. I do feel like my training has been wishy washy without the powertap. I'll either do tempo type riding or just smash a hill or strava segment as a vo2 or threshold type of interval but really not with any structure. On the other hand, when I'm going 25+mph and mixing it up on a group ride or even the few races I've done I really wouldn't mind getting some aero benefit. Especially when a lot of these things are decided by a bike length or less. One thing with the powermeter (I'd probably just opt to throw an stages crank arm on) is that it is a lot less likely to break than a nice set of wheels so that is another consideration. Been having this debate with myself for 2 weeks now.

Personally, the wheels are a nice to have, but the PM has turned into a must have.  All my training is now based around the power numbers, and the structure and context it provides for training feedback, progress, etc.  Of course I know people are very successful and capable of training without one, but if I had to choose I know what I'd do.  Took me years to fork out the money just for a deep front wheel, but I went for power early on and haven't regretted it. 

My Garmin 910 altimeter has gone (second time) and I need to return it for a replacement.  I race on Sunday, and then it's in the mail, but may take as much as 2 weeks to get back.  Not looking forward to being without my power numbers for that time.

2014-05-29 8:01 AM

Elite
Ontario

Who's racing this weekend?

I tried to get into Black Bear tri, but couldn't.

Me!  Missed the podium at the Milton Sprint race the last 2 years by 13sec and 24sec, looking to change that this Sunday.

2014-05-29 8:24 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-05-29 8:25 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Elite
PEI, Canada

Me!  Missed the podium at the Milton Sprint race the last 2 years by 13sec and 24sec, looking to change that this Sunday.

Good luck Neil!

2014-05-29 8:29 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by JAYCT Hypothetical question. If you could either get a decent set of wheels or a powermeter, which would you get? I read a couple articles and have been wrestling a bit with this one. I have some stock Fulcrum Race 5s that came on my bike that I've been rolling around on. I had been used to the powertap hed jet 6 wheels I had for 3 years but now I find myself missing the powertap and the wheels but it is a stretch for me to get either one back into my quiver. I do feel like my training has been wishy washy without the powertap. I'll either do tempo type riding or just smash a hill or strava segment as a vo2 or threshold type of interval but really not with any structure. On the other hand, when I'm going 25+mph and mixing it up on a group ride or even the few races I've done I really wouldn't mind getting some aero benefit. Especially when a lot of these things are decided by a bike length or less. One thing with the powermeter (I'd probably just opt to throw an stages crank arm on) is that it is a lot less likely to break than a nice set of wheels so that is another consideration. Been having this debate with myself for 2 weeks now.

Tough one.

Depends on goals. ie; if training for tri's and pacing them is the goal, then PM.

For bike racing, if a lot of your rides are hard group rides, then I would go race wheels.

Or you could do both lol.

Tough for sure but I think I'd be going with the PM myself.

How about a cheaper set of good wheels?  The FLO 30s seem like they tested pretty darn well aero wise and you can buy just the rim from them now so you could build a PT into one.

2014-05-29 8:33 AM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Me too

Rev3 Quassy 1/2 IM.

Good luck to you Neil.
2014-05-29 8:51 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
tag for ease
2014-05-29 11:23 AM

Elite
Ontario

Me too Rev3 Quassy 1/2 IM. Good luck to you Neil.

Tough course Dale - when I'm thinking "this hurts too much" I'll remind myself "at least I'm not racing Quassy".   I'd actually like to race this course one year because it's not too too far for me, but the early season date is tough.  This winter I'd have had real problems getting the longer sessions in.

Have a great race!!

2014-05-29 11:39 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
...at home in The ATL

Me too Rev3 Quassy 1/2 IM. Good luck to you Neil.

Tough course Dale - when I'm thinking "this hurts too much" I'll remind myself "at least I'm not racing Quassy".   I'd actually like to race this course one year because it's not too too far for me, but the early season date is tough.  This winter I'd have had real problems getting the longer sessions in.

Have a great race!!

Ha - ha that is funny Neil - I am racing a sprint this weekend, I am going to employ the same mantra: "At least I'm not racing Quassy, At least I'm not racing Quassy, At least I'm not racing Quassy...."

This has been a fun month for me: Saturday will be 5 races in as many weeks. Good luck to everyone else this weekend!

2014-05-29 11:42 AM

Escape From Alcatraz

Melissa and Bryan Dunn also racing it

2014-05-29 11:46 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Tough one.

Depends on goals. ie; if training for tri's and pacing them is the goal, then PM.

For bike racing, if a lot of your rides are hard group rides, then I would go race wheels.

Or you could do both lol.

I am in the same camp as Fred - if I was focusing on bike racing and doing the bulk of my training via group rides, I would go with the wheels, if training for triathlons/TT racing, the power meter.

2014-05-29 12:31 PM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Escape From Alcatraz

Chris, one of my athletes is racing Alcatraz as well...he lives in South Dakota so not much chance for OWS yet this spring until recently.  Good luck! 

2014-05-29 12:35 PM
in reply to: 0

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Escape From Alcatraz

Chris, one of my athletes is racing Alcatraz as well...he lives in South Dakota so not much chance for OWS yet this spring until recently.  Good luck! 

A couple of friends here are as well.  Zero OWS this year for them and one of them is not a good swimmer at all.

Good luck Chris and Melissa!

Edited by axteraa 2014-05-29 12:35 PM
2014-05-29 1:05 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Has anyone done a team time trial before?  I just got invited to join a team who had a member bail at the last minute....we're practicing together this weekend and the race is next weekend.  I'm really excited -- been wanting to do a time trial for a while now.

Any advice?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38695 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74167 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.