BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-02-08 12:05 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed

TJ, so glad to hear you are off the DL!!! Let the running commence! 

2016-02-08 12:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

And my RR for the track race: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=539036&posts=1&page=1

Edited by Asalzwed 2016-02-08 1:06 PM
2016-02-08 12:38 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by cdban66

Quick drive by before we head out to the masseuse. Thanks for all the support. Race was a windfest, final 3ish miles into a wind that was gusting up to 30 mph. And standing 6'2", there was no one I could hide behind. So, no PR.  I kinda knew that going in, but was holding out hope. Not to be. I'll have a RR up in the next couple of days.

Jen, I truly hope that things get better as 2016 progresses. 

And on a personal note, I won't be around much for a week or so, I have some family things to attend to and will be on the road for most of the week.

Congrats on fighting the obstacles
Have a save trip and I hope all family matters will be resolved smoothly.
2016-02-08 12:40 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by melbo55

So, arnica cream users - do you have any brands to recommend?  I've been poking around Amazon (found the Luca's Papaw Cream, thanks, Adam for locating it and thanks, Stacey and Yanti for also recommending it) and figured it never hurts to stock up on stuff to help ouchies.

I use the gel.  I generally get Arnicare of 365, whichever is cheaper.

This is what I got as well. I liked it. Not stinky, not greasy and apparently worked well. The visible bruise on my knee is gone and the one on my hip, for which I didn't use the gel, is still quite purple.

I tried different brands and they all worked the same way, so I guess you can follow the prices.
2016-02-08 12:40 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Here is my race report for the time trail up Tiger Mountain: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=539034&posts=1&page=1

I absolutely love those pictures! Congrats on the wonderful race and result
2016-02-08 2:50 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Hi all!!

Loooooong time, I know...  Kind of a proof of life post from an "alum," but also a quick pop-in just to say hey to my fave pod.

Update:  Lost my mom in December after 6 months of living with cancer (two different kinds, as it turned out, which were actually her third and fourth cancers - she was a tough one!).  Had a wonderful last half year with her, but it's never long enough, is it?  Glad to have spent the time with her and family, and lucky we were able to.

Still loving Texas - yeeeehaw!!!  Family is all good.  Still re-doing our new house (move in likely in June, NOT last August as originally planned). Totally loving work, too.

Been active with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society - since before mom's diagnosis, but have since been asked to be the 2016 Corporate Walk Chair for Light The Night Walk here in central Texas.  Humbled and honored to be able to give back, even in a small way (check out LTN - it's a terrific LLS fundraising event(s), and there's probably a walk near you!).

My strained Achilles is pretty much back, after 6 SOLID months of rehab!  Haven't done any speedwork (and don't plan to for a while), but I can now run several times a week and even did an easy hill run with Kim this week - with no pain!  WINNING!

Still have a balky-but-I-can-run-with-it hammy (been well over 20 years, so I'm not figuring on fixing that in this lifetime).  The real bummer is my "swimmer's elbow" (medial epichondylitis), as I still can't swim despite months of rehab.  Turns out that when you train hard through minor injuries for 6 months, you get to live with them for a bit longer than normal. 

Hope you're all well and having a lovely year.

I also hope to be back around more, if bit by bit.

Yours in pod-i-ness,

Matt

McManatee!! I noticed your increased presence on strava lately and figured you'd be dropping in!! Great to hear from you!

So sorry to hear about your mom, but that is awesome that you can honor her by giving back to the LLS. Great stuff.

Soooo.....what races are you looking at?

2016-02-08 2:53 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Hola friends! Sorry I have been MIA from the thread, it's so hard to keep up with the volume of posts 

Hope everyone is off to a fantastic February! I am slowly easing back into running, and am full force into my favorite spin classes until the weather warms up. Feeling great all around!

2016-02-08 3:06 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Katy, Texas
Adam - sorry to hear about your crash! Hope your wounds are healing up quickly.

Markus - congrats! well done!

Ben - can't scoop ice cream. that sucks

Yanti - congrats you're not spewing out of one end anymore?!

TJ - Yay for being off the DL!

Jen - I'm so sorry.

Chris - that headwind sounds awful!! Way to push through!

Adrienne - congrats on 2 AG wins and one OA win!!! You rock!

Lisa - glad you are feeling great!!!

As for me, I'm wiped. Apparently I cannot handle a big training weekend combined with superbowl activities. Going to have to power through this week it looks like.
2016-02-08 4:17 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by juniperjen

Hi Manatees,

I have been very quiet lately and to be honest, I am having a rough time. I am usually in the optimistic very positive side of things and I can see the lemonade but I have to deal with the lemons before it gets that way. Nothing tri related and nothing crazy terrible but that kind of on-going doldrums.  I think picking my workout routine will help enormously so i am trying to do that this week. 

For those who have stopped by my training log you'll know that I had (am having? nearly done, it seems) a miscarriage. It happened around 10 weeks I guess. I knew early though - before my trip - from doing an ultrasound that my pregnancy wasn't 'viable' to use their term. The physical part was particularly rough last week and it seems to be coming to an end now. But on Friday I had to put my cat to sleep. It turns out he had FIP, an incurable virus that is usually contracted when they are young but it manifests later. So, he was about 13 and I had him for just over 10 years. Its very difficult but it was the best thing. And to continue i am getting a root canal tomorrow. 

Trying to keep things positive.

1.On the family front - i have a beautiful, happy 2.5 year old daughter who is awesome. There is no reason to believe i won't have a healthy pregnancy in the foreseeable future.

2. On the pet front: i had 10 wonderful years with my buddy - he was my first pet on my own and he was great. He was social, affectionate - a little vocal and generally a fun cat. He was even toilet trained for a while. When we moved it kind of fell apart but it was great while it lasted/ 

3. On the dental front: I don't have much. Just good to get it done with. Better than having another abscess, I suppose.

Anyway, i am a total downer lately but still love reading about your triumphs and daily tribulations even if i am not as participative as usal

Jen I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. It's ok to be sad, and cry and grieve. you need to allow yourself to do that, it's part of the healing. I am glad you have managed to find some positives too.

With regards to the root canal just think of it as a great time to relax and have some quiet time
2016-02-08 4:19 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by marysia83

So, arnica cream users - do you have any brands to recommend?  I've been poking around Amazon (found the Luca's Papaw Cream, thanks, Adam for locating it and thanks, Stacey and Yanti for also recommending it) and figured it never hurts to stock up on stuff to help ouchies.

This is what I got as well. I liked it. Not stinky, not greasy and apparently worked well. The visible bruise on my knee is gone and the one on my hip, for which I didn't use the gel, is still quite purple.

I tried different brands and they all worked the same way, so I guess you can follow the prices.
We use Martin and Pleasance stuff. It comes in a cream and they also have a kind of roll on stick that they call a "bruise stick".
2016-02-08 9:26 PM

User image

Hi Manatees,

I have been very quiet lately and to be honest, I am having a rough time. I am usually in the optimistic very positive side of things and I can see the lemonade but I have to deal with the lemons before it gets that way. Nothing tri related and nothing crazy terrible but that kind of on-going doldrums.  I think picking my workout routine will help enormously so i am trying to do that this week. 

For those who have stopped by my training log you'll know that I had (am having? nearly done, it seems) a miscarriage. It happened around 10 weeks I guess. I knew early though - before my trip - from doing an ultrasound that my pregnancy wasn't 'viable' to use their term. The physical part was particularly rough last week and it seems to be coming to an end now. But on Friday I had to put my cat to sleep. It turns out he had FIP, an incurable virus that is usually contracted when they are young but it manifests later. So, he was about 13 and I had him for just over 10 years. Its very difficult but it was the best thing. And to continue i am getting a root canal tomorrow. 

1.On the family front - i have a beautiful, happy 2.5 year old daughter who is awesome. There is no reason to believe i won't have a healthy pregnancy in the foreseeable future.

2. On the pet front: i had 10 wonderful years with my buddy - he was my first pet on my own and he was great. He was social, affectionate - a little vocal and generally a fun cat. He was even toilet trained for a while. When we moved it kind of fell apart but it was great while it lasted/ 

3. On the dental front: I don't have much. Just good to get it done with. Better than having another abscess, I suppose.

Anyway, i am a total downer lately but still love reading about your triumphs and daily tribulations even if i am not as participative as usal

Jen, this would have been my post 13 years ago. I was 18 weeks pregnant when I went in for my scheduled appointment. My two previous pregnancies had ended in miscarriages at 16 and 20 weeks, so my doctor was having me come in every two weeks. At 16 weeks everything was great, but two weeks later there was no longer a heart beat. I swear the worst part of all of this was telling my mom. About a week after having emergency surgery for complications, I had to put my 18-year old cat, Pipsqueak, to sleep. He by far was the coolest cat ever.

I was originally not going to post my history, but I want you to know you're not alone. Miscarriage is not something we talk about and there are so many emotions and hormones going on that sometimes I felt like I was on a deserted island by myself. If you need to chat, I'm here. {{Hugs}}

2016-02-08 10:24 PM

User image

Expert

Hi Manatees,

I am sorry to hear about the things going on. It will get better. We have 4 children and between kids #2 and #3 we had a miscarriage and between #3 and #4 (#4 is adopted) we lost an adoption referral (emotionally it felt exactly like the miscarriage). Trust me when I say it seems horrible right now, but everyday it gets better, and you will get through this. I don't know what would have happened if we didn't have the miscarriage or wouldn't have lost the referral, but I would never trade kids #3 and #4 to find out. They are both beautiful and wonderful kids.
2016-02-09 3:34 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
So sorry to hear of your losses. I'm single with no kids so won't pretend to really know the heartbreak of miscarriage, but have lost many of my fur kids over the years and I know it's most heartbreaking when they go before their time due to illness. Pets are truly family, especially those we have for a long time. I lost a kitty years ago to feline leukemia (which manifests in a similar way) when she was only six or seven. That was two "generations" of cats, almost 25 years, ago, and I still miss her sometimes. She was a tiny little thing but very naughty and feisty, and if I believed in reincarnation I'd swear my latest (last, for now) kitty Tomoko is channeling her spirit! When your heart is ready again, a fuzzy buddy somewhere will be ready for a human.

Vietnamese believe that if you start the year with really bad luck, the rest of your year will be unusually lucky. Hoping that is true for you!
2016-02-09 8:02 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Hi Manatees,

Lady, those are three horrible, horrible things. Well, the root canal treatment not so much compared to the other two, but it still ain't fun! (I have had two lately ... and then one had to be re-done, ewwww yes you absolutely don't want an abscess).

Most people never even look through the bad stuff to the positive.

You are amazing.

I am so very sorry for your troubles {MELON PRESS}

2016-02-09 8:15 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by marysia83

We use Martin and Pleasance stuff. It comes in a cream and they also have a kind of roll on stick that they call a "bruise stick".

Labels will usually tell you the concentration of arnica, so look for 100mg arnica/g cream.

Stuff works. Just because I never fail to be inappropriate somehow ... anyway it was great even for this. (I also use it on my joints when they get nasty, which is frequently due to the arthritis)

(01 Kingsley IMJapan.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
01 Kingsley IMJapan.jpg (95KB - 3 downloads)
2016-02-09 9:59 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

How was the driving test Your Yanti-ness?

2016-02-09 10:12 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Lisa - So glad that you are running again.  Did I see that you were able to run outside recently!  Progress!

Robin - {{hugs}}  

Yanti - Are you legal behind the wheel in Australia?

2016-02-09 11:34 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Jen - I'm so sorry for your losses, but I'm also really happy to see that you can find the positives 

McMatt! - Good to see you back here!  I hope all is well & that one day you'll get your house done 

Lisa - WOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!  Yay to running again!  

DLers - heal up, please 

As for me, I'm just trucking along... though I've recently found out that if you actually train, you'll see improvements.  Who knew???   

2016-02-09 11:45 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Hi. I'm after some advice and hoping someone has come across these problems before. I've just bought a 2nd hand disc fork that came off a Ridley (x-fire I think). The graphics/stickers/transfers are looking a bit worse for wear. Anyone know of the best way of removing these from carbon safely? Also, these forks don't have a point to connect my b and m luxos iq light. Anyone managed to fit this type of light without the normal bosses available? Thanks.
2016-02-09 12:18 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, Colorado
Omg Yanti... now I know why when you hit your nose they refer to "Yanti Style" ;p
2016-02-09 12:29 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Attention please! Achievement of the month
I did the 0 to 700 swimming thing!

As some of you may remember, I was struggling with freestyle so badly (making it only to the first breath...) that I was almost about to train for Oly distance in breaststroke.
I made it! And the most important thing: it felt really good, it was not struggling anymore, it was not: "oh hell, how much more until the wall", it was like a sunny day and lalala in the water. So smooth.

I am so happy I had to share it with you guys And THANK YOU to everyone who supported me, especially to Steve, who was one of the few who was not yelling at me at TT for freestyle miserableness

Wishing you a successful week!

2016-02-09 12:34 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by marysia83Attention please! Achievement of the month I did the 0 to 700 swimming thing!As some of you may remember, I was struggling with freestyle so badly (making it only to the first breath...) that I was almost about to train for Oly distance in breaststroke.I made it! And the most important thing: it felt really good, it was not struggling anymore, it was not: "oh hell, how much more until the wall", it was like a sunny day and lalala in the water. So smooth. I am so happy I had to share it with you guys And THANK YOU to everyone who supported me, especially to Steve, who was one of the few who was not yelling at me at TT for freestyle miserableness Wishing you a successful week!
It's great when it finally clicks
2016-02-09 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by marysia83 Attention please! Achievement of the month I did the 0 to 700 swimming thing! As some of you may remember, I was struggling with freestyle so badly (making it only to the first breath...) that I was almost about to train for Oly distance in breaststroke. I made it! And the most important thing: it felt really good, it was not struggling anymore, it was not: "oh hell, how much more until the wall", it was like a sunny day and lalala in the water. So smooth. I am so happy I had to share it with you guys And THANK YOU to everyone who supported me, especially to Steve, who was one of the few who was not yelling at me at TT for freestyle miserableness Wishing you a successful week!

Nice job!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!! You're a regular fishy!!!

2016-02-09 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 Attention please! Achievement of the month I did the 0 to 700 swimming thing! As some of you may remember, I was struggling with freestyle so badly (making it only to the first breath...) that I was almost about to train for Oly distance in breaststroke. I made it! And the most important thing: it felt really good, it was not struggling anymore, it was not: "oh hell, how much more until the wall", it was like a sunny day and lalala in the water. So smooth. I am so happy I had to share it with you guys And THANK YOU to everyone who supported me, especially to Steve, who was one of the few who was not yelling at me at TT for freestyle miserableness Wishing you a successful week!

Woo hoo!

Congratulations!!!!

2016-02-09 12:48 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thanks guys! haha now I feel a bit more "official"
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 910 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.