BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-05-29 11:14 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by ceilidh

What is the cost point people are thinking about for the T-shirts. I looked but couldn't find where we had finalized that.

Has anyone made shirts and have a good site?

Has anyone started this project?

I can but I need the above answered.

I'm not sure that we have discussed price. Custom Ink seems to be a decent place to order if we do something online. I think that Lisa said that she has used them before. They have a low minimum order and a free design tool so that's good. I have played with the site and made some designs but then we got bogged down in "what are the manatee colors" and stopped making progress. I wasn't so into the "black and blue" so it may be my fault.

I'll start: I am partial to blue so.... I would skip the black unless it was a black shirt with bright blue lettering/ design (to be SEEN). The only colors I really don't like are orange and grey.  I am okay with long sleeve, short sleeve, tech, non tech, fitted, not fitted, gender specific or gender neutral. I am not too picky on cost... say less than 30 bucks????

$30 is fine with me. If we are going to wear the shirt for the photo but not run in them, any kind of shirt is fine with me.

This is as far as I got.

Nice work, Janyne!  Good idea bringing in a mountain vibe.

2019-05-29 2:34 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by awm007

Originally posted by awm007
I know that Adam uses Zwift on a non-smart trainer
It's true, I do. I have a Kurt Kinetic that can send power information but not the full ERG mode where the software adjusts resistance for you. I still enjoy Zwift a lot and can't say that I feel like I'm missing out on much. It would be cool to have the hills in the program reflected in the trainer, I guess, but on the other hand it's pretty nice to just spin up them. Also, much of my training lately has been power based so I wouldn't be using ERG mode for that anyway. I don't have any other access to power info, so I've been happy with Zwift. I agree with Janyne - for a one hour workout, it's really nice to just hop on and go.
Robin, talk to Adam about IM 70.3 Virginia if you don't want to do Chattanooga. I guess Gulf Coast could be an option for you as well. It was a rough swim this year but I don't think that's typical.
I put up a race report on my profile. I thought the bike course was a lot of fun. Mostly fast with some hills to keep in interesting. It's probably not a PR flat course like IM 70.3 NC might be. The swim was current assisted and the run was mostly shaded (though two loop out and back is pretty boring), but not entirely so. This was year 1, so I think the RD is keen to improve it and was asking for feedback on Facebook. Happy to talk more if you want!
Thanks Adam. I may have follow up questions. ANY one I choose will be a PR if I finish since I am probably a One and Done person and I have yet to venture past an Olympic distance.

Happy to give you my number if you want to talk just send me a direct message! There were a lot of first timers at IM 70.3 VA, for what that's worth.

Thanks. I am leaning towards a Fla race (because they are earlier) or Chat because MANATEES and it is closer to travel to. But maybe not. You would think I could just make a decision and start training! Jeese!

2019-05-29 5:15 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Question...how many of you do a large portion of your running on a treadmill?

I have ZERO tolerance to running in the heat and humidity, and it's been over 100 degrees the last 5 days. If this is what it's like in May, I'm concerned what June, July and August will bring.

I've tried so many different things over the last 5 years to adapt to running in heat and humidity, and as I'm getting older, I'm becoming even less able to do so. I'm considering doing some (not all) of my training runs for IM LOU indoors on a treadmill (even though, in some ways, that seems almost as bad as running outdoors in hell).

Pros?
Cons?
Thoughts?
Successes?
Isues?
2019-05-29 6:51 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Question...how many of you do a large portion of your running on a treadmill? I have ZERO tolerance to running in the heat and humidity, and it's been over 100 degrees the last 5 days. If this is what it's like in May, I'm concerned what June, July and August will bring. I've tried so many different things over the last 5 years to adapt to running in heat and humidity, and as I'm getting older, I'm becoming even less able to do so. I'm considering doing some (not all) of my training runs for IM LOU indoors on a treadmill (even though, in some ways, that seems almost as bad as running outdoors in hell). Pros? Cons? Thoughts? Successes? Isues?

Sorry, i do 0% of my running on a treadmill! I do almost all runs early morning before the sun comes up. The humidity is still high, but there is no sun beating you down.  The only real exception is when i have a long brick, then the sun is up, but humidity is a bit lower -like 90% v 100%

If you do run on the treadmill my only advice is something you probably already know- put it on a 1% incline to offset the fact that you have a belt moving under you and no wind resistance. 

Here's an article on the topic.

2019-05-29 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thinking about treadmills as well but for the opposite reason. Unless there's some kind of miracle and I am offered a job on Oahu in the next few weeks or unless I don't get ANY job, it looks most likely that for the indefinite future my training will involve plenty of dark, cold, wet, and/or snowy winter mornings and/or evenings. After all the elbow drama this year, NO WAY am I going to risk running on iffy surfaces in the dark, even with a headlamp. Nor do I really want to depend on equipment availability and opening hours at the gym. Probably will be in the market for a treadmill in that case.

That being said, I detest them. Just makes running feel like work. Unlike cycling, I've always kind of had an expectation that running be at least sort of enjoyable, probably because I started very young and for enjoyment, not racing, and the treadmill just kills that. To top it off, I cannot watch videos while running without getting nasty vertigo. I also feel like it's harder on my body--my knees, hips, and back tend to hurt in ways they don't with other surfaces. But it's no doubt better than not running at all for months, or breaking more bones! One caveat on my experience--for almost all my running life, I have only gotten on a treadmill a few times a year, if that, usually when traveling or due to really bad weather. It's possible if I ran on them more often I would enjoy it more--or not!

The one time I did do extensive running on a treadmill was the last time I injured the same elbow. My x-rays were ambiguous, insurance wouldn't cover an MRI, and it wasn't clear if there was a hairline fracture or just some severe bone bruising and unhappy soft tissue, so I was told to minimize risk of falling for six weeks in case there was a break. Of course this was eight or nine weeks before Angkor Wat Half Marathon. So 90% of my training for that race was on the treadmill. I was hoping to place top 5 overall so it was fairly ambitious training including tempo work and long runs up to 2 hours. My impression was that while I was able to do the same length and quality of sessions as outdoors, they took a lot more out of my legs. I was surprised as at the time running outdoors almost always meant temps in 80's and 90's, high humidity, and often smog (in Saigon), while indoors was in a gym with AC and a HEPA filter. My recovery seemed poor. In retrospect, this may have had other causes, like my body trying to heal an injury at the same time, or the high doses of anti-inflammatories I was on. (I'm on similar meds now--actually just trying to go off of them-- and I do feel like they mess with muscular fatigue and recovery pathways somehow.)

I didn't enjoy my runs much at all, and pretty much counted the days for six weeks. When I did start running on the road again, it felt awkward and unusually fatiguing for about a week. The race didn't end up going that well, but not necessarily due to training mostly on a treadmill--I'd had a stomach bug and fever the week before and was feeling well below 100% by race day. It became a matter of "complete" (and visit several porta-potties en route) rather than "compete". That being said, I did keep up my run fitness, probably would have had an okay if not stellar race if I'd been a bit healthier, and had a good tri season the following spring.

There are plenty of elite triathletes who do a lot of their running on a treadmill. I'd be willing to do it, but I think if possible keep 1-2 outdoor runs per week, weather permitting. There just seems to be something a bit biomechanically different about it from normal running, at least for me, as well as the enjoyment factor.
2019-05-29 7:33 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by glfprncs

I have ZERO tolerance to running in the heat and humidity, and it's been over 100 degrees the last 5 days. If this is what it's like in May, I'm concerned what June, July and August will bring.

I've tried so many different things over the last 5 years to adapt to running in heat and humidity, and as I'm getting older, I'm becoming even less able to do so. I'm considering doing some (not all) of my training runs for IM LOU indoors on a treadmill (even though, in some ways, that seems almost as bad as running outdoors in hell).

Pros?
Cons?
Thoughts?
Successes?
Isues?

I run almost exclusively on a treadmill from December until May/June because it is so cold, wet and icy here. I don't mind it and it's effective. I watch movies while running. I don't watch anything that takes thought, normally some type of brainless action type stuff.
I am on my third treadmill and my current one is the best I've had. It's a Sole. The company was founded by engineers who worked at a commercial treadmills. They make treadmills with better deck and motor.
I don't remember the brand of my first one, we bought at Sears and the motor burned out. The second was a NordicTrac. The deck on that one broke.
If you get one, the deck and the motor are the most important parts. The Deck must have some spring to it, or it is like running on cement.
Running outside is more fun.

2019-05-30 9:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by JBacarella

Pros?
Cons?
Thoughts?
Successes?
Isues?

I run almost exclusively on a treadmill from December until May/June because it is so cold, wet and icy here. I don't mind it and it's effective. I watch movies while running. I don't watch anything that takes thought, normally some type of brainless action type stuff.
I am on my third treadmill and my current one is the best I've had. It's a Sole. The company was founded by engineers who worked at a commercial treadmills. They make treadmills with better deck and motor.
I don't remember the brand of my first one, we bought at Sears and the motor burned out. The second was a NordicTrac. The deck on that one broke.
If you get one, the deck and the motor are the most important parts. The Deck must have some spring to it, or it is like running on cement.
Running outside is more fun.

For some reason I hate treadmill so much, but if I have a movie to watch during a run, I can get pass my treadmill feelings very easily. I do elliptical machine, not treadmill. I like it, especially when I can run backwards. It is a great alternative for bad weather. I was fine with long runs outside, after running for weeks on the elliptical.

Edited by marysia83 2019-05-30 9:54 AM
2019-05-30 11:20 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by glfprncs Question...how many of you do a large portion of your running on a treadmill? I have ZERO tolerance to running in the heat and humidity, and it's been over 100 degrees the last 5 days. If this is what it's like in May, I'm concerned what June, July and August will bring. I've tried so many different things over the last 5 years to adapt to running in heat and humidity, and as I'm getting older, I'm becoming even less able to do so. I'm considering doing some (not all) of my training runs for IM LOU indoors on a treadmill (even though, in some ways, that seems almost as bad as running outdoors in hell). Pros? Cons? Thoughts? Successes? Isues?

I end up running on the treadmill almost exclusively. Early morning or evening runs are not gonna happen with the coyote and bears around here. I is too hot any other time. In the winter, same: it is dark so much that the wild animals rule. I can get out in the afternoon but then I feel guilt for not taking the dog. Taking the dog is not gonna be training time just fun. That and with my messed up hip and knee, the treadmill gives me a surface that is reliably flat. I keep the grade at 2.5 percent or better. I can watch videos. I used to watch sufferfest videos for fun. Now I just listen to music.

2019-05-30 1:31 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Pros?
Cons?
Thoughts?
Successes?
Isues?

ZERO.

A few years back I ran on the treadmill a LOT. Then I got hurt - whether it was really because of the treadmill or not I don't really know but it's kinda like when you get food poisoning - the only thing you remember was the last thing you ate......

Anyway on the rare occasions when I determine it is not safe to run outside (usually weather related) I will use the elliptical.

Having said all that. How have you tried to adapt to the heat? I can generally deal with the heat but it's when the SUN beats down on me I lose it. This winter I've been doing hot yoga and hope it will help. I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. I also started carrying cooling towels and loading up on ice whenever I can get it and put it wherever I can stuff it.
2019-05-30 1:53 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
ZERO. A few years back I ran on the treadmill a LOT. Then I got hurt - whether it was really because of the treadmill or not I don't really know but it's kinda like when you get food poisoning - the only thing you remember was the last thing you ate...... Anyway on the rare occasions when I determine it is not safe to run outside (usually weather related) I will use the elliptical. Having said all that. How have you tried to adapt to the heat? I can generally deal with the heat but it's when the SUN beats down on me I lose it. This winter I've been doing hot yoga and hope it will help. I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. I also started carrying cooling towels and loading up on ice whenever I can get it and put it wherever I can stuff it.

I too hate the treadmill.  Only run on it when I have to (usually snow/ice, and that is not super common/often).  I find my gait changes plus it is just mind numbingly boring, even watching something.  20 minutes feels like forever. 

Regarding heat--I am terrible in the heat.  I have found some improvement with ensuring my hydration is good--electrolytes, not just water.  I did a sweat test and found that I lose a moderate amount of sodium.  I sweat a lot even at moderate temps, so when it gets hot, I lose a lot of sodium.  I use Precision Hydration and use a 1500 before a workout/race and during the race and I think it is helping.  Has definitely helped with cramping as well. 

2019-05-30 8:29 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It took me a long time to work out how to run in the heat (after moving to Saigon from Oregon and, before that, Beijing!). Hydration is critical--I'd almost never carry just water; always electrolyte drink, really for anything over 10-15 minutes, and drink every five minutes on the bike or run. (Actually, I would even carry electrolyte drinks if out running errands!) I sweat a crazy amount for someone my size (like a small car with an overheated engine!) and in hot, humid conditions take in about 750-900 ml of fluids per hour. I used salt tabs on long runs/rides as well (over about 80-90 minutes, one per hour). A big problem for most people is that true physical adaptation to those conditions takes a long time--probably longer than the summer usually lasts in Canada or most of the US! I think it was 6 months to a year before I could run close to the distances and paces I'd been doing at home.

Slowing down is inevitable; I'd normally do my workouts by heart rate and slow down or even walk if it got above the intended zone for the workout. And after a lot of unsuccessful experiences, I simply gave up on tempo runs over about 15-20 minutes in the tropics--my heart rate would go so high I'd end up nauseous, and I'd have to do so much walking to get it back down that I would cramp up. Just told my coach that I'd rather do shorter, harder runs with some recovery in between than the longer tempo stuff--the latter just took me too long to recover from and seemed to be counterproductive, especially since my job and daily life had me unavoidably out in the heat to some extent during the rest of the day.

2019-05-31 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

POL post *waves sheepishly*

Well life continues to be an adventure.  I leave next week to travel to Ohio for my ultra. And... I am moving to San Antonio! I was selected as the manager there. We have 60-90 days to sell the house and re-locate. 

2019-05-31 10:12 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by rrrunner

Well life continues to be an adventure.  I leave next week to travel to Ohio for my ultra. And... I am moving to San Antonio! I was selected as the manager there. We have 60-90 days to sell the house and re-locate. 

Oh, that's fantastic!! Yehey!
Have you been to San Antonio before? Do you like it there? Will the location help with your training and such...?

WHat is the ultra that you're having in Ohio?
2019-05-31 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations!  Good luck with the move and the ultra!!

2019-05-31 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Hey hey hey, that's so cool. Congrats on the job, good luck on the move, and crush that ultra!
2019-05-31 1:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Thanks for the treadmill info. I've probably done, maybe 6 runs on the treadmill in the last 2 years (one of which was yesterday). Coach is ok if I do 30% of my runs indoors, but not key workouts. So, I may just do my little 'recovery' runs indoors in the air conditioning and such it up otherwise.

Found out via Facebook that IM Louisville run course changed and is now entirely along the riverfront until the last 4/10 of a mile and finish. That made my hotel choice (wanting my 80 y.o. mom to be ON the run course) pretty much obsolete, so after 30 minutes of complaining and whining, I now have a new hotel (the Aloft) a few what looks like 2 blocks from transition and where I'll pass many times on the run. It also means I may be purchasing a small, cheap microwave simply so I can cook my oatmeal in the morning.

It'll make everything easier except the walk back to the hotel post race. However, my sister (who is going with me) appreciates not having to walk miles to go get my stuff out of transition while I'm on the run.

Edited by glfprncs 2019-05-31 1:50 PM

2019-05-31 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Thanks for the treadmill info. I've probably done, maybe 6 runs on the treadmill in the last 2 years (one of which was yesterday). Coach is ok if I do 30% of my runs indoors, but not key workouts. So, I may just do my little 'recovery' runs indoors in the air conditioning and such it up otherwise. Found up via Facebook that IM Louisville run course changed and is now entirely along the riverfront until the last 4/10 of a mile and finish. That made my hotel choice (wanting my 80 y.o. mom to be ON the run course) pretty much obsolete, so after 30 minutes of complaining and whining, I now have a new hotel (the Aloft) a few what looks like 2 blocks from transition and where I'll pass many times on the run. It also means I may be purchasing a small, cheap microwave simply so I can cook my oatmeal in the morning. It'll make everything easier except the walk back to the hotel post race. However, my sister (who is going with me) appreciates not having to walk miles to go get my stuff out of transition while I'm on the run.

I saw about the Louisville run change too! I think it's a good change -at least when it's daylight and you can see the river! For me, L-ville run course was super boring. Of course, I was dealing with hypothermia and dropped out before doing the 2d loop, so I may be biased   I remember where Aloft is and it is close to transition, so your sister should be happy! My Sherpa was not too impressed having to get all my gear back to the Hilton at the finish line. Apparently, walking a mile or so with a bike and 2 gear bags isn't a  lot of fun!

2019-05-31 5:44 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Wow! Congratulations! 

2019-05-31 5:45 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 1-2
Adam - Triangle Sprint on Saturday?
Janyne - ill advised half marathon ;-)
Kirsten - Oliver Half Aquabike on Sunday
Laura - Washington’s Crossing OWS on Sunday
Melanie - Washington’s Crossing OWS on Sunday
Jen Stewey - Washington’s Crossing OWS on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

2019-05-31 5:48 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

June 1-2

Is anyone else racing?

Woo Hoo, lots of racers! Go have fun!!!

2019-05-31 8:25 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

June 1-2

Is anyone else racing?

A great bunch ofn racers! Have fun..i love the manatee water meet up. It seems fitting.

2019-06-01 7:07 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

June 1-2

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck, Adam, Janyne, and Kirsten!  Have fun, be safe, be fast!  I'm very much looking forward to meeting some new manatees and doing what manatees do - swim!  I'm sure I'll see them before the race but in case I don't, good luck Laura and Jen!

2019-06-01 7:09 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Exciting stuff, all but the limited timeline for selling the house and relocating!   I can't wait to hear about your ultra.

2019-06-01 7:59 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I hear you on that. I've had to set up "shutdown" deadlines on the Hawaii jobs I'm applying for because there just isn't time to get the move done anymore (they start late July). Adding pet import requirements (unique to Hawaii) to the usual sell/buy/move and it becomes a big mess. Basically "neighbor islands" outside Oahu are now out (the permits take longer); Oahu might be feasible for two more weeks but after that it looks like I'll be staying in the Pacific Northwest, possibly unemployed. Local districts are just getting started with posting positions. I had no idea--last time I was looking in the US it all mostly happened in April and May.
2019-06-03 9:22 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!!!

June 1-2

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck, Adam, Janyne, and Kirsten!  Have fun, be safe, be fast!  I'm very much looking forward to meeting some new manatees and doing what manatees do - swim!  I'm sure I'll see them before the race but in case I don't, good luck Laura and Jen!

I hope you all had a great time!
I saw pictures of a very nice meetup of Manatees swimmers ))
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107