BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-11-09 7:39 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Asalzwed I had a great race on Sunday. Hoping to get a few minutes to write a report. One strange thing that has been happening after a shorter distance, race effort: massive sneeze attack then cold like symptoms for a few days (in endless runny nose, sneezing etc)Any idea what's up? This has happened at 3 or 4 races now.

Has all of this happened recently?  I am asking because I am wondering about mold spores.  One year, I had terrible problems catching my breath every time I exercised outside.  Once the leaves were gone, so was the problem.  It never happened before or since.  I am kind of thinking that we may have had bad mold spores that year?  Dunno.

Someone else had brought that up, too. And it very well could be but this has happened now over the course of 6 months (meaning at least 2 seasons) and on different courses. 

The only thing they have in common is being non-road, shorter events.

The other oddity is that this past race was run in a location where I practice weekly and I hadn't previously had issues. So strange!

Trying to remember, but nothing that good is coming to mind. Some combinations of cold & intensity have made for sore lungs and minor coughing fits, but only for a little while that same day. 

2016-11-10 12:58 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by StaceyK I just have to laugh about how excited American's on FB seem to be about getting a sticker for voting. Come to Australia here they give you a $50 fine if you don't vote.

My post was meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek.  It was also partly serious - don't stone me here, gang  - but this is the first time I've ever voted.  This is the first time I've felt so strongly about an election that I registered and voted, so I wanted to proudly display my sticker but instead just got the stub to my ballot.  "Lancaster County doesn't give stickers", the lady said, but somehow one of my co-workers from my county had one.  I think he said he got it from one of the Rep/Dem stands out front of his voting location.

Stacey - The $50 fine is surprising!

Oh Mel i didn't specifically mean yours, it was just an overall observation.

In Australia it compulsory to vote - well at least turn up and have your name crossed off, you can always put a blank form in the box.

A couple of elections ago the Electoral Commission "lost" a number of ballot boxes for our electorate and we had to re-vote a couple of months later. Phil and I forgot to go and re-vote and we got sent $50 fines. I was very tempted to tell them that they could put their fine in the same place that they put my original vote. I didn't but many people did. I did however refuse to pay the fine.

Our election campaigns are far shorter (this year's was one of the longest and I think it went for around 100 days) and are really fairly civil. There is some personal sledging but this is generally fairly minor. Oh and under law all TV and radio adverts have to cease the week before the election.
2016-11-10 8:20 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi My Manatee friends I need some advice. I have a sprint length tri on the calendar for next weekend - 600/18/6. Problem is for the last week or so I have had a fairly nasty cold that has resulted in a persistent cough and also really affected my ears and my balance. While the stuffy head part of the cold has almost gone the cough and the ear thing have not and they don't show signs of abating soon. This cold has been doing the rounds here this year and the ear issues are part of its normal symptoms, some people find they resolve in a couple of weeks but for some they have lasted months and Drs are pretty much saying that it's a virus, there's nothing they can do you just have to ride it out. At this point I think I have 3 options: 1. Drop back to the supa sprint - 300/8/3 2. Do the 6k run with my friend K 3. Can the whole thing I generally do this event every year in some form or another because it was the first one I did (as an adult) and it is held to raise money for breast cancer and honour it's survivors and it's victims, so I also do it in honour of my friend Mary who died from secondary breast cancer 4 years ago. This year I just really don't know that my ears are up to diving into a pool and swimming and I'm not sure that my balance is up to riding. I know I have another week to decide as I can probably change my registration on the morning of the event, but I need to get this out of my head so I would really like to know your thoughts.

I would wait and see. If the ear thing doesn't clear up then enjoy the run

I would wait as long as possible too. See where things go. I try to set up a plan & contingencies, but always end up second guessing numerous times until then! Still be aware of options though.

Yes, I'd see when the last date to make a change is and decide on the last date.

2016-11-10 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

I checked out the site and it's kinda a cute runaround the "branded" rules.  It's a 226k event and they are calling it a Metric Man.  I'd feel better if they had posted the results from last month's race.  I checked because I wanted to see what kind of participation they were getting but nothing is there :-(

I did the same thing. It would be fun if it actually crossed the state as that is something I've wanted to do. Run or tri crossing an entire state (which is really only possible in the northeast.)

Biked across the state.

Wisconsin, right?

I was going to mention RAIN -- Ride Across Indiana.  160 miles, one day.  I haven't done that one but I know someone who has.  My longest is from Raleigh to Wilmington.

Yes, RAW (Ride Across Wisconsin), 175 miles. They did keep it across the easier southern most section, but that's still a LONG day. Near 10 hrs plus stops. Part of that is because it was late August. I think really crossing the state would start somewhere like LaCross or just north and head up the point in Door County, but that would have to be in June and still may not be enough for too many. Probably lose the Trek Team riding it too and Trek might worry it'd interfere with the Trek100, their cancer charity ride.

Been building kind of a bucket list of great big rides like these.

Fun!

2016-11-10 8:53 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by StaceyK I just have to laugh about how excited American's on FB seem to be about getting a sticker for voting. Come to Australia here they give you a $50 fine if you don't vote.

My post was meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek.  It was also partly serious - don't stone me here, gang  - but this is the first time I've ever voted.  This is the first time I've felt so strongly about an election that I registered and voted, so I wanted to proudly display my sticker but instead just got the stub to my ballot.  "Lancaster County doesn't give stickers", the lady said, but somehow one of my co-workers from my county had one.  I think he said he got it from one of the Rep/Dem stands out front of his voting location.

Oh Mel i didn't specifically mean yours, it was just an overall observation. In Australia it compulsory to vote - well at least turn up and have your name crossed off, you can always put a blank form in the box. A couple of elections ago the Electoral Commission "lost" a number of ballot boxes for our electorate and we had to re-vote a couple of months later. Phil and I forgot to go and re-vote and we got sent $50 fines. I was very tempted to tell them that they could put their fine in the same place that they put my original vote. I didn't but many people did. I did however refuse to pay the fine. Our election campaigns are far shorter (this year's was one of the longest and I think it went for around 100 days) and are really fairly civil. There is some personal sledging but this is generally fairly minor. Oh and under law all TV and radio adverts have to cease the week before the election.

Shorter and more civil would be nice!

2016-11-10 9:21 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK

Oh Mel i didn't specifically mean yours, it was just an overall observation. In Australia it compulsory to vote - well at least turn up and have your name crossed off, you can always put a blank form in the box. A couple of elections ago the Electoral Commission "lost" a number of ballot boxes for our electorate and we had to re-vote a couple of months later. Phil and I forgot to go and re-vote and we got sent $50 fines. I was very tempted to tell them that they could put their fine in the same place that they put my original vote. I didn't but many people did. I did however refuse to pay the fine. Our election campaigns are far shorter (this year's was one of the longest and I think it went for around 100 days) and are really fairly civil. There is some personal sledging but this is generally fairly minor. Oh and under law all TV and radio adverts have to cease the week before the election.

Shorter and more civil would be nice!

Yes it would!

As far as posting the I Voted stickers, I think that is kind of a new thing.  I would bet that the majority of those you saw were from women (and some men )and they were posting thinking/hoping that they were part of the reason we had our first woman president.  Many women also wore white to the polls as that was the color of the women's suffragette movement.

Interesting about the fines!  It is my opinion opinion that everyone should not be urged to vote.  If you vote, you need to be educated about the issues and the people running. You don't have to agree with my position on those topics (but you should , you should just know why you are voting a certain way!  I've seen too many of those Man on the Street things where the questioner asks a voter who they are voting for and then goes through a litany of "so you support" this issue.  They always hardily agree and they always are agreeing with the opposing candidates position!   I'm sure the show weeds out all clips of people who call them out, but there are an awful lot of uneducated voters!! 

2016-11-10 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I am a week (ok 9 days) out from my ultra, so yes, I have the taper crazies/paranoia but...

The last two days my resting HR has been elevated. It is usually at 43 (per my Band 2) then Tuesday night it was 48 and last night it was 53.  I feel fine. Dehydration maybe? or the dreaded coming down with something?   Other possibilities?

2016-11-10 7:31 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Stacey, sorry to hear you have not been well.  I too would wait until the last minute before making a decision. 

TJ, I have nothing.  Do you always track your RHR before a race?  Is it possible that it always increases beforehand due to stress/excitement?

My apologies to all those who did not want Trump to win.  The most amazing fact to me was that almost half of eligible voters did not vote.  I agree that one who votes uninformed is worse than not voting, but wow.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is any better up here.  Always facinating.  I would be interested to know what percentage of those now protesting voted. 

I have a training question: there appears to be a strange green colour in my log...I think my tushie is going to be sore tomorrow as I can't even tell you the last time I was on my bike. 

....I just looked.  Exactly 2 months.  Yikes. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

2016-11-10 9:17 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Nerves. I swear my heart rate picks up about three weeks out.
2016-11-11 6:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Plus normally one does resting heart rate in the morning. For me at least, doing it in the evening would give me widely ranging values. It would depend on stress, caffeine intake, what/when I ate, how hard my training was, exposure to heat/humidity, etc. For a calm day off with easy training and cool weather, probably low to mid 50's (still higher than AM--more like low to mid 40's). For a high stress day at work plus two hard workouts, or after a long brick in the heat, with 3 or 4 coffees during the day, if I managed to get a bit dehydrated, I might see 70's or even 80's. I've noticed before the last 3 HIM that I did that my starting HR for trainer workouts (when I got on the bike) was up to 10 BPM higher than normal during taper. In only one case did I get sick (but two days AFTER the race) so assuming that was nerves/ physical and mental stress from taper in at least two cases.

Then again, despite a lot of efforts with relaxation, deep breathing, etc. I've always had a pretty strong physical response to stress. It's not uncommon for me to get nauseous if I'm really upset or nervous, and I often have to struggle not to toss my cookies for up to 24 hours before a race. Worse when I was younger, but have had some bad pre-race days/hours even now. Maybe not everyone is so variable.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-11-11 6:49 AM
2016-11-11 7:39 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

TJ, thinking what Karen said for the elevated HR.

2016-11-11 7:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Meanwhile, in my neck of the woods. The view from my house two  nights ago. It is closer now. those dots are fire, not lights. and those are cliffs.

Edited by ceilidh 2016-11-11 7:54 AM

(fire on the mountain.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
fire on the mountain.jpg (55KB - 3 downloads)
2016-11-11 8:38 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ceilidh

Meanwhile, in my neck of the woods. The view from my house two  nights ago. It is closer now. those dots are fire, not lights. and those are cliffs.

That is very scary, Robin.  I pray it stays away from your house and town.  Be safe.

2016-11-11 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

I hope they get t under control quickly and that everyone is safe.
2016-11-11 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yikes! What Mel said!!

2016-11-11 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

November 12-13
Laura - Veteran's Day 5k on Sunday

Disabled List:
Stacey - under the weather

Congratulations to Mary on her promotion!

Is anyone else racing?

2016-11-11 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

November 12-13

Disabled List:

Is anyone else racing?

GO LAURA!!!

Congrats Mark and feel better Stacey!!

2016-11-11 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

That is very scary, Robin.  I pray it stays away from your house and town.  Be safe.

Crazy!

2016-11-11 11:08 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Crazy!

Wow! As a big fan of Discovery Channel/Planet Earth type shows that looks like a pic right out of Nat Geo. Are they showering it with choppers from above? Hopefully damage is not too severe.
2016-11-11 11:45 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

November 12-13

Disabled List:

Is anyone else racing?

GOOOOOO LAURA!!!!

Feel better, Stacey!

And congrats again to Mary!

2016-11-11 11:48 AM

User image

Master

Yikes!  Stay safe!

2016-11-11 11:49 AM

User image

Master

Racing Manatees!!!

November 12-13

Disabled List:

Is anyone else racing?

Gooo Laura!

Congrats Mary, that is great news!

Hope you are feeling better each day Stacey.

2016-11-11 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

November 12-13

Disabled List:

Is anyone else racing?

Feel better, Stacy. Congrats on the promotion, Mary!
And go me. :D
2016-11-11 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

November 12-13

Disabled List:

Is anyone else racing?

Go Laura I hope that you have a great race and have lots of fun.
2016-11-11 5:05 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Physically I am feeling much better, the cough and the stuffy head have gone and my balance is much better, but I still have issues with my left ear, hopefully it will clear in the next day or so.

Emotionally I'm feeling a bit battered. We lost our old girl Elle yesterday. Stupid dog had swallowed a honkey nut (very large nut from a gum tree) and it ruptured her bowel, unfortunately there was no way to save her. She was a quiet stabilising matriarch in our house that used to be a surrogate mum to all our pups. We will miss her dearly.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (889KB - 3 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.