BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-06-11 2:45 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by Hot Runner

I have actually been passed several times going up steep hills in trail races (and at Crater Lake half-marathon, which is on the road but at high altitude with some very long, steep hills) by people who were walking....while I was running! So yes, walking up short, steep hills is probably a very good strategy, particularly if you use the time to get in some good hydration and nutrition.

OMG how true is this? I've been passed lots by walkers on steep hills! I'm like "why do I bother?"

Also regarding apps, google has put the location sharing back into maps. It's pretty cool - I just turn it on for my husband and 1 of my friends (you can put it on always or just for an hour so I just put it on and left it on) and at any given time they can see where my phone is (hopefully I'm with it).

This is VERY TRUE!!!
I actually got this advice from one of the Manatees (I believe her name was Blanda...?) She told me: if you are faster walking than running, then walk! I used that advice on my first trail HM, and I was passing ALL runners. The other great benefit is that you get a chance to some recovery. Once I was up the hill and started running, it felt as if I had a boost of energy.

Thanks for sharing all the tracking ideas. While I understand the apps have to make money somehow, I think the tracking should be a free feature for every app.

2019-06-11 10:04 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not directly tri-related, but I just accepted a teaching position back in my hometown in Oregon. So I will be able to enjoy running the wood-chip trails there, hopefully for the indefinite future. (That was not the reason for the decision, just one of the many things I have missed about Eugene.) Not so much looking forward to the swimming outside in the winter deal--think I will spring for a YMCA membership!
2019-06-12 6:36 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerNot directly tri-related, but I just accepted a teaching position back in my hometown in Oregon. So I will be able to enjoy running the wood-chip trails there, hopefully for the indefinite future. (That was not the reason for the decision, just one of the many things I have missed about Eugene.) Not so much looking forward to the swimming outside in the winter deal--think I will spring for a YMCA membership!
yay for a job in a place you like..sory about Hawaii, but this move will be a lot easier.
2019-06-12 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Not directly tri-related, but I just accepted a teaching position back in my hometown in Oregon. So I will be able to enjoy running the wood-chip trails there, hopefully for the indefinite future. (That was not the reason for the decision, just one of the many things I have missed about Eugene.) Not so much looking forward to the swimming outside in the winter deal--think I will spring for a YMCA membership!

Congrats on the new job! Low to mid 30s is the coldest temps I've swum in, Getting in and out of the pool is always an adventure, but once in the heated pool it was kind of nice! My current pool won't allow swimming once the temp hits 40.  Of course, where i live these temperatures don't happen all that often!!

2019-06-12 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Not directly tri-related, but I just accepted a teaching position back in my hometown in Oregon. So I will be able to enjoy running the wood-chip trails there, hopefully for the indefinite future. (That was not the reason for the decision, just one of the many things I have missed about Eugene.) Not so much looking forward to the swimming outside in the winter deal--think I will spring for a YMCA membership!

Congratulations on the job! I know that you've been missing Oregon. I have the impression that Idaho is fine but hasn't really felt like home to you. Good thoughts for a smooth transition.

Yes, I'd say that some sort of indoor pool option is in order.

2019-06-12 8:28 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, Idaho is a nice place but not really home. More to the point, the schools are very poorly funded here--I think #50 in the nation! This in spite of the fact that the two local districts are some of the most rapidly growing in the country. Not quite sure how those two go together but something about the tax structure, I guess. Class sizes as big as 35-40 in upper elementary. I have applied for a crazy number of jobs locally, gone through successful initial screening interviews for their hiring pool, and heard back.....nothing. Not even a request to interview. Since it's now mid-June, I've come to the conclusion that probably they just aren't interested in my skill set, or more to the point, would prefer to hire someone younger and cheaper (since salary scale is based on years of experience). I could be wrong--maybe the districts do most of their hiring in late summer or something, but that would be really unusual. The job in Oregon is with a bilingual program (English/Mandarin) that is fairly new and is growing one year at a time. I will be teaching Grade 3, 1/2 day in Mandarin and 1/2 in English. As far as I know, I'll have 18 students, which sure beats 35, or, when I taught in Portland, 57 (a morning and afternoon class).

I've still been getting some interest from Hawaii, but it's just become logistically too difficult. Their school year starts almost a month sooner (end of July) and getting the cats over is complicated. Plus have not heard anything from Oahu (where that process is a bit faster. Much as I love Hawaii, it's just not going to happen. Guess we can always go there for vacation.

2019-06-12 9:36 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Congratulations on the job and an easier move! 

2019-06-12 9:55 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think Oregon and maybe Northern California are unique in their passion for outdoor swimming in all weather. I have swum outside at the community center pool in Eugene in temps as low as 18F. Have swum in snow and freezing rain. Have never known them to close it if the schools are open (the facility is shared with a high school). To their credit, the water really is nearly always a comfortable temperature for training year-round. But getting in and out, and rest intervals, become pretty miserable in winter! At any rate that pool is nowhere near where we would look to be moving to (other side of town, nasty traffic), so YMCA would work better.
2019-06-12 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I was going to post this to Adam directly but I thought that some of the other Manatees might also be interested.  There is a Wilmington or Augusta thread on Slowtwitch that is relatively interesting.  I've only ever done B2B myself.

It also reminded me of a conversion that I have been meaning to share. A few weeks ago I volunteered to help at the Triangle Triathlon packet pickup. The Triangle Tri's event management company is Setup Events. Setup Events was the management company for B2B before WTC entered the picture and made Beach2Battleship into Ironman 70.3 North Carolina. The Setup Events person that I was working with said that the rumor is that this is the last IMNC. It's unclear what that means for any fall tri in the Wilmington, NC area in the future if that is true.

2019-06-12 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Yes, Idaho is a nice place but not really home. More to the point, the schools are very poorly funded here--I think #50 in the nation! 

Ah, so there are states that do a crappier job of funding schools than North Carolina!

2019-06-12 10:54 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I think Oregon and maybe Northern California are unique in their passion for outdoor swimming in all weather. I have swum outside at the community center pool in Eugene in temps as low as 18F. Have swum in snow and freezing rain. Have never known them to close it if the schools are open (the facility is shared with a high school). To their credit, the water really is nearly always a comfortable temperature for training year-round. But getting in and out, and rest intervals, become pretty miserable in winter! At any rate that pool is nowhere near where we would look to be moving to (other side of town, nasty traffic), so YMCA would work better.

Ahh! Congratulations! That's fantastic! I have not been to Oregon yet, but it is on my travel list, so am hoping I could visit you some day (definitely more chances than in Vietnam )
When will you move? How are the cats doing?

2019-06-12 11:05 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Congratulations on getting things taken care of. It looks like this is a move that you will benefit you in more than one way.

2019-06-12 11:12 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by cdban66

Congratulations on getting things taken care of. It looks like this is a move that you will benefit you in more than one way.

Some of the reasons to move to Oregon

(scott_lake_reflection2_902d4925-c281-445b-bfe3-815147da95e2.jpg)

(cycling_mckenzie_scenic_bikeway_snow_by_Russ_Roca_eec88823-70a1-4b15-b119-ecbb6268aa44.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
scott_lake_reflection2_902d4925-c281-445b-bfe3-815147da95e2.jpg (65KB - 4 downloads)
cycling_mckenzie_scenic_bikeway_snow_by_Russ_Roca_eec88823-70a1-4b15-b119-ecbb6268aa44.jpg (38KB - 2 downloads)
2019-06-12 12:35 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Congrats! I'd love to go to Oregon!!

in other news - everyone see the new venue is TULSA! I don't know anything about the area but I saw one person post "OK better pave the roads" so that doesn't sound good! LOL

Wonder how far the drive is....hhhmmm
2019-06-12 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I think Oregon and maybe Northern California are unique in their passion for outdoor swimming in all weather. I have swum outside at the community center pool in Eugene in temps as low as 18F. Have swum in snow and freezing rain. Have never known them to close it if the schools are open (the facility is shared with a high school). To their credit, the water really is nearly always a comfortable temperature for training year-round. But getting in and out, and rest intervals, become pretty miserable in winter! At any rate that pool is nowhere near where we would look to be moving to (other side of town, nasty traffic), so YMCA would work better.
Congrats! I'd love to go to Oregon!! in other news - everyone see the new venue is TULSA! I don't know anything about the area but I saw one person post "OK better pave the roads" so that doesn't sound good! LOL Wonder how far the drive is....hhhmmm

Of course it is.  Is it also Redman weekend?

2019-06-12 1:11 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Hot Runner I think Oregon and maybe Northern California are unique in their passion for outdoor swimming in all weather. I have swum outside at the community center pool in Eugene in temps as low as 18F. Have swum in snow and freezing rain. Have never known them to close it if the schools are open (the facility is shared with a high school). To their credit, the water really is nearly always a comfortable temperature for training year-round. But getting in and out, and rest intervals, become pretty miserable in winter! At any rate that pool is nowhere near where we would look to be moving to (other side of town, nasty traffic), so YMCA would work better.
Congrats! I'd love to go to Oregon!! in other news - everyone see the new venue is TULSA! I don't know anything about the area but I saw one person post "OK better pave the roads" so that doesn't sound good! LOL Wonder how far the drive is....hhhmmm

Nope - Tulsa looks to be May 31 and Redman is September 21. Maybe there is room for both?

2019-06-12 1:13 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by jmkizer

Nope - Tulsa looks to be May 31 and Redman is September 21. Maybe there is room for both?

We'll find out! I'm just jaded by the whole B2B thing. I think that you knew that already though!

2019-06-12 1:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Tulsa is all right... spent some time there for work when I lived in Kansas. I probably prefer Oklahoma City over Tulsa in general, just from a "things to do" perspective. But if I still lived in Kansas I'd be all over this!

Edit: Thoughts still evolving. May 31 is pretty early for that area of the country. It snows regularly in March and even the early part of April. Getting outdoors for long rides for folks within a X-hour drive may be challenging. 

Edited by lisac957 2019-06-12 1:18 PM
2019-06-12 2:31 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Marysia--Come and visit us! The bike route pictured is just an hour's drive from town. (But usually open only a few months a year due to snow.) Zillions of lakes like the one pictured. (Most would be cold swims, though.) Row River Trail and Cottage Grove Lake about 20 miles from Eugene are gorgeous.
2019-06-12 3:03 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

Tulsa is all right... spent some time there for work when I lived in Kansas. I probably prefer Oklahoma City over Tulsa in general, just from a "things to do" perspective. But if I still lived in Kansas I'd be all over this!

Edit: Thoughts still evolving. May 31 is pretty early for that area of the country. It snows regularly in March and even the early part of April. Getting outdoors for long rides for folks within a X-hour drive may be challenging. 

I think this is the reason only 1300 signed up for this year's IM Boulder. We had such a crappy Spring that no one really rode outside. Last year IM Boulder was 100 degrees, this year the swim started in the low 40s. Many of my friends who did both 2018 and 2019 had more trouble this year because of the cold, especially on the bike as they could open nutrition because their hands were so cold. They did announce that this was the last IM Boulder.

I do worry about Tulsa in May. Tulsa is in tornado alley. May is tornado season.
2019-06-12 3:06 PM

User image

Not directly tri-related, but I just accepted a teaching position back in my hometown in Oregon. So I will be able to enjoy running the wood-chip trails there, hopefully for the indefinite future. (That was not the reason for the decision, just one of the many things I have missed about Eugene.) Not so much looking forward to the swimming outside in the winter deal--think I will spring for a YMCA membership!

Congrats!

I know you really wanted Hawaii, but the teaching conditions aren't great at many of the schools. Also, like you said, getting your pets there is hard. My high school friend and his husband live on the Big Island. It took 6 months to get their cats over and they never did get their dog. It was expensive and stressful for the hoomans and the cats.

2019-06-12 3:25 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by fortissimo

I do worry about Tulsa in May. Tulsa is in tornado alley. May is tornado season.

well yeah, there's that!
2019-06-12 10:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I'm alive

Sorry about the lack of posting but things have been ridiculously busy for the last month and keeping up with everything has been impossible. I've been away for work a lot and we have also relocated our office, which was a massive job after 40 years in one place. I am supposed to be away again at the moment but I cancelled my trip because I just couldn't do it. I will be away again for a few days next week and the week after too.
On top of that I got pretty sick with my annual May cold and then Phil broke a couple of ribs and got sick as well. Finally as icing on the cake our ceilings started to fall in so this week the landlords are having the ceilings in our kitchen, dining and lounge rooms replaced so we have had to relocate all of the furniture from that half of the house into other rooms (including the 150 gallon fish tank). After they have done the ceilings Phil and I are going to do the floors before we move the fish tank back.
Winter hit with a vengeance here a week ago and it has gotten very cold and very wet, this on top of the dark are not my friend - I'm really not a winter person and having lost so much weight over summer I am really feeling the cold.

TJ congrats on your new job. My US geography isn't great, does the move make you closer to your boy that is in the Navy?

Karen congratulations on your job (I do know where Eugene is). Is your mum looking forward to moving back to Oregon? I might just let some of our teachers know about the class sizes you deal with over there. I have a few that think they are hard done by if they have more than 24 and are going to fie if they have 28. If they had 32 (which is pretty much the standard here) then I would have a mutiny on my hands.
2019-06-12 10:34 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Mom says she is happy to move back to Eugene. She finds the politics here disturbing. Let's just say that Oregon and Idaho are VERY different places although they are neighboring states and have a lot of similar scenery and outdoor lifestyles. As one commentator on our neighborhood association website put it, "We mainly go in for the Second Amendment here in Idaho. Over there in the coastal states, they go in for the First." Hmm. I do worry that moving is a lot of stress for Mom at her age, but at least it's to somewhere familiar, and far simpler than a Hawaii move, especially with pets.

The cats are doing great. I'm relieved I won't have to ship them by plane again or deal with quarantine paperwork. (We did have them preemptively vaccinated and blood-tested for Hawaii, so they would only have needed the final check and permits and could be shipped within 10-30 days with 0-4 days of quarantine, depending on the island.) I think I used up at least one of the Vietnamese fur kids' nine lives, and probably part of mine, getting them back from Vietnam. We are looking at a car trip with them now, though, and due to hot summer weather in Eastern Oregon and my current inability to drive more than a few hours at a time without getting a very sore arm, probably splitting the 9-10 hour trip into two days. Sharing a hotel room with those three critters will be like staying with a barrel of monkeys!
2019-06-13 4:40 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Mom says she is happy to move back to Eugene. She finds the politics here disturbing. Let's just say that Oregon and Idaho are VERY different places although they are neighboring states and have a lot of similar scenery and outdoor lifestyles. As one commentator on our neighborhood association website put it, "We mainly go in for the Second Amendment here in Idaho. Over there in the coastal states, they go in for the First." Hmm. I do worry that moving is a lot of stress for Mom at her age, but at least it's to somewhere familiar, and far simpler than a Hawaii move, especially with pets.

The cats are doing great. I'm relieved I won't have to ship them by plane again or deal with quarantine paperwork. (We did have them preemptively vaccinated and blood-tested for Hawaii, so they would only have needed the final check and permits and could be shipped within 10-30 days with 0-4 days of quarantine, depending on the island.) I think I used up at least one of the Vietnamese fur kids' nine lives, and probably part of mine, getting them back from Vietnam. We are looking at a car trip with them now, though, and due to hot summer weather in Eastern Oregon and my current inability to drive more than a few hours at a time without getting a very sore arm, probably splitting the 9-10 hour trip into two days. Sharing a hotel room with those three critters will be like staying with a barrel of monkeys!

we drove my mom's cats from FL to CT when they were babies. It was about a 22 hour car ride and we broke it up into 3 days mostly because of my inability to sit still in a car for more than 8 hours. The hardest part was getting the cats back in the carriers when they hid under the hotel chairs and beds. Always an adventure!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107