BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2014-04-25 9:02 AM
in reply to: Rudedog55

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!!

Note to self.  Quassy is a really hard bike course if it takes Rudy 2:44!

2014-04-25 9:07 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Originally posted by axteraa

nah, its just that i am fat

Patriot http://www.strava.com/activities/11027634

Quassy http://www.strava.com/activities/10038576

2014-04-25 9:12 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by TankBoy

Neil - can you just run by effort and not pace, or do you feel so uncoupled at the moment that you don't trust that either?

Run by e.f.f.o.r.t...???  What is that?  Honestly, I've always been lousy at judging myself based on RPE - it's a solid mix of thinking I'm going too hard or too easy, and being able to see the HR and pace data brings me back to reality, or in some cases confirms how I'm feeling is accurate.  I just like seeing/knowing the numbers.

Sorry Neil - I assumed that since you were worrying about your pace that you did not use heart rate. HR is the best proxy for effort there is, especially on the longer stuff. I like numbers too, but if you jump around between input and output without a plan (HR is input, pace is output), you can really get messed up. In longer races I tend to use output at the beginning (sort of as a brake to make sure I am going easy enough) and then switch to input once I get settled in, adrenaline and anxiety is taken care of, etc.

2014-04-25 10:01 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Rudedog55

nah, its just that i am fat Patriot http://www.strava.com/activities/11027634Quassy http://www.strava.com/activities/10038576

Yeah, the hills really weren't *that* bad. Just a lot of them, so it's more being set up for it and understanding how to manage them. Truly getting over the mental hurdle of never getting a break from them can go a long way. I never used the 28t and only used the 25t a little bit. And plan on being out there a bit longer.

Sadly, my pm battery died in the first couple miles, so don't have any data for that.

2014-04-25 10:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by brigby1

Yeah, the hills really weren't *that* bad. Just a lot of them, so it's more being set up for it and understanding how to manage them. Truly getting over the mental hurdle of never getting a break from them can go a long way. I never used the 28t and only used the 25t a little bit. And plan on being out there a bit longer.

Sadly, my pm battery died in the first couple miles, so don't have any data for that.

yeah, but according to your HR, it was ~200 bpm...if I remember correctly...

(he's a BEAST on the BIKE)

***Can I ask you guys that have done Quassy 1/2 before, what was your TSS for that race?
I remember Jay talking a bit about 'goal TSS' for 1/2IIM races and I am curious.

Edited by dtoce 2014-04-25 10:25 AM
2014-04-25 10:41 AM
in reply to: dtoce

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by dtoce

yeah, but according to your HR, it was ~200 bpm...if I remember correctly... (he's a BEAST on the BIKE) ***Can I ask you guys that have done Quassy 1/2 before, what was your TSS for that race? I remember Jay talking a bit about 'goal TSS' for 1/2IIM races and I am curious.

If you believe the HR monitor was working either. And that I'm part hummingbird since HR recorded as well over 200 the entire time.

Best guess on TSS was over 160, but under 180. Without the PM, I *tried* going something like long ride effort (like 5 hr long ride) based on RPE and since it was a race, was probably just over that.

2014-04-25 1:41 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by TankBoy

Neil - can you just run by effort and not pace, or do you feel so uncoupled at the moment that you don't trust that either?

Run by e.f.f.o.r.t...???  What is that?  Honestly, I've always been lousy at judging myself based on RPE - it's a solid mix of thinking I'm going too hard or too easy, and being able to see the HR and pace data brings me back to reality, or in some cases confirms how I'm feeling is accurate.  I just like seeing/knowing the numbers.

Is there something really special with this race? Feels like I missed something. Otherwise you seem to be thinking too much and putting way too much pressure on yourself to run it perfect. Don't try to be perfect so much as just run a pretty good race and see what happens. In a situation like this, I'd probably start the first few miles (like at least 5k) just a bit faster than long run pacing and gradually pick it up from there. Re-assessing as I went along. Probably look to get up in Z4, but still behind threshold pacing with the time frames mentioned.

Nothing particualrly special about the race, simply that I haven't run a HM in 3 years, and am struggling to evaluate my pacing.  Last time I ran 1 :33, but went out planning to run a 1:37, needed a restroom break and then motored back up to the group I was with by following a faster runner who started further back, then I just stayed with the faster guy for a while and crushed my goal time.

I'm just playing head games with myself at this point.  I like your suggestion, and it lines up with Rusty's input/output comment, although I know that my HR will likely stay elevated during the race as that's what normally happens to me on race day and I have to remind myself that true effort is likely 5bpm or more below what is displaying.

2014-04-25 5:12 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Rudedog55
Dale, i am reggied for the Patriot half on June 9

you are correct, i really do not worry bout the run (for the most part) That being said, i do want to break 5 hours at patriot as it is my last shot (for real this time) and also get the bike title, which judging by past races will take about a 2h15m bike.

My goal this year is to ride a 2h15, which should put me in the hood of about 300w avg, which for me is about 85%, and then run a 2h half. I should be in the 190's weight wise. As always i will worry about the run when i get there, but i train to ride like that and my recovery is very fast, so i am a bit different than the normal Triathlete. My training is lots of spikes and recovery, while that is not optimal, it does help you recover for the run faster.

well, it sounds like you've got a great shot at sub5 and I would not bet against you
I wish you the best of luck in getting lighter, as that may be the single most important thing to help you through the run obstacle and gain your time victory

your bike training is awesome and my two cents would (shockingly!) still be to forego the 'bike title' and really try for the 'last chance' sub 5 by dialing the bike back just a tiny bit to ensure a better chance at a sub2hrs run...

but you are the Rudedog: the man, the myth, the legend
so...I expect BOTH to happen!
2014-04-25 6:09 PM

User image

Ha, well I had to go bak to Rudy's quassy race report to see what the fuss was all about.  Is this the bike route description from the athletes' guide???

"4300 feet of go f$*% yourself if you cannot climb. At race pace this is the toughest 56 mile ride i had ever done...EVER maybe one of the hardest rides period."

2014-04-25 8:07 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Whoever said installing a Wheelbuilder Aerojacket was easy was a f*&%ing liar.  My thumbs are both raw from trying to push those stupid fasteners together.  That is all....

2014-04-25 8:12 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Whoever said installing a Wheelbuilder Aerojacket was easy was a f*&%ing liar.  My thumbs are both raw from trying to push those stupid fasteners together.  That is all....

They don't screw together anymore?

2014-04-25 8:21 PM

User image

The one I just ordered for my 404 rear this year still uses screws.  I usually use a couple of nickels or quarters to screw them together.

2014-04-25 11:03 PM

User image

Wheelbuilder says to push them together to install, unscrew to uninstall. Nicole, I hear ya. Next time get a small towel on each side, protects the thumbs a bit
2014-04-25 11:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM

Wheelbuilder says to push them together to install, unscrew to uninstall. Nicole, I hear ya. Next time get a small towel on each side, protects the thumbs a bit

That's what I get for reading and following the instructions -- specifically says to push them together and not to screw them.  A towel would have been a good idea....because the blunt end of two screwdrivers was not!

2014-04-26 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Okay, had some more drama with the disc cover (that's what I get for waiting till one week before the race to install it....).  How much of a difference do you think having a disc cover versus just the Flo 60 rear wheel will make on a course like St. George?

2014-04-26 2:47 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Okay, had some more drama with the disc cover (that's what I get for waiting till one week before the race to install it....).  How much of a difference do you think having a disc cover versus just the Flo 60 rear wheel will make on a course like St. George?

What's the drama?

2014-04-26 2:48 PM

User image

Aero trumps weight always, even at St. George.

What's the issue?

eta couple good links

ride a disc

aero trumps weight

Edited by ChrisM 2014-04-26 2:52 PM
2014-04-26 3:22 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I ran the course through Best Bike Split using my bike profile with my bike setup with a disc and then with a 60 rear and while the disc was always faster, the difference was anywhere between 3 and about 20 seconds depending on wind conditions.  The more wind there was, the more the difference.  

Oh and the course seems to be much faster with a SE wind so cross your fingers for that.

2014-04-26 3:30 PM

Master
Northern IL

Aero trumps weight always, even at St. George.

What's the issue?

eta couple good links

ride a disc

aero trumps weight

It does, but at the same time I think it's good to remember that it's not really going to make or break a race for the vast majority of participants. It just gets them through a bit faster.

2014-04-26 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I know aero trumps weight....but good to know it's only a difference of a matter of seconds (I'm not going for a podium slot here....my run will ensure that!).  

The problem is that the valve opening is not large enough to get a pump in there and I don't have (or even know what it is or how it works or where to get) a crack pipe.  I know someone whose valve opening was big enough without making any changes to it, so I assumed mine would be too....it was not, and I busted the stem on the valve trying to force it this morning, and ended up having to do a rush removal as I was holding up a group ride.

So now it's a matter of trying to decide if it's worth figuring out where to get and how to use a crack pipe, re-installing that thing (maybe it'll go better the second time around!?!?), and then using it for the first time on the day of the race (nothing new on race day....hah!).  It did look nice on there, but I lack the DIY/handy gene! 

2014-04-26 5:48 PM

User image

Well, no single thing is really going to get most people more than seconds. Sum total of marginal gains and all that. If we asked what advantage x flag e us, the answer is rarely enough to make x worth it But x plus y plus z, etc....

anyway, Nicole, some pump heads will fit into the opening as well as openings on wheels like the HED3. Unfortunately mine does not so I have to use a crack pipe which frankly can be a pita, especially if using someone else's pump that you are not familiar with. For example my crack pipe hasn't worked with the pumps that the Tri bike transport folks bring. You can also buy a pump replacement head tha will work, google that I don't have the link. So if you haven't used it a few times id recommend against it. However, your C02 cartridge system may fit in there so might want to check that out

You can buy the crack pipe from wheelbuilder and my experience is you'll get iron a couple days. But if you are buying one, I read that this is the one to get. I will be gettin this one at some point. (Linking the thread because it has good instructions. ). http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=5055960;search_...

Edited by ChrisM 2014-04-26 5:52 PM

2014-04-26 5:51 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I bought that ^^^ because I found the crack pipe annoying.  I haven't tried it yet!

2014-04-26 5:56 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Ok, I went and tried it and it worked great.  Pressed it on and inflated a tire up to 110.  

It's not cheap but no more one handed crack pipe pump ups for me!

2014-04-26 5:58 PM

User image

I bought that ^^^ because I found the crack pipe annoying.  I haven't tried it yet!

Arend, I'd love to hear your review of it. Oh and Nicole if you buy a regular crack pipe you can only pump with one arm which is really hard once you get near 100 psi

apologies for spelling etc above. iPhone and all....

2014-04-26 10:06 PM

Master
Northern IL

Arend, I'd love to hear your review of it. Oh and Nicole if you buy a regular crack pipe you can only pump with one arm which is really hard once you get near 100 psi

apologies for spelling etc above. iPhone and all....

You really start appreciating the mechanical advantage some pumps offer over others in situations like this. Anyway, I've started using my big toe to hold it down.

I have the one from wheel builder now, but will likely get the silca one sometime.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 21562 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37896 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 20303 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24943 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.