BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2014-04-26 11:31 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!!

2014-04-26 11:52 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM
Originally posted by axteraa

I bought that ^^^ because I found the crack pipe annoying.  I haven't tried it yet!

Arend, I'd love to hear your review of it. Oh and Nicole if you buy a regular crack pipe you can only pump with one arm which is really hard once you get near 100 psi

apologies for spelling etc above. iPhone and all....

Hahaha, even now, I have to put quite a lot of my weight into pumping it up to 100psi....watching me try to do it one-handed would probably be incredibly humorous (for everyone who wasn't me!).  Will decide what I want to do in the next few days.

FWIW, I do have GP4000s tires, latex tubes, Specialized Evade helmet, and Flo 60 front/rear wheels, so I've put at least some thought into aerodynamics....tried to do the disc cover, but we'll see if that actually happens. 

2014-04-27 4:35 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

http://www.strava.com/activities/134570323

You sir, are MAD!

I think I would have to climb every hill on my island to find 12,000+ feet!

2014-04-27 5:23 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Hahaha, even now, I have to put quite a lot of my weight into pumping it up to 100psi....watching me try to do it one-handed would probably be incredibly humorous (for everyone who wasn't me!).  Will decide what I want to do in the next few days.

Do you have a good pump?  I used to think a pump was a pump, until I tried a good pump!  I have two right now and with the cheap one it gets tough after about 80-90psi.  With the good one (a Joe Blow) I can easily go 120+ and the required effort doesn't increase.

FWIW, I do have GP4000s tires, latex tubes, Specialized Evade helmet, and Flo 60 front/rear wheels, so I've put at least some thought into aerodynamics....tried to do the disc cover, but we'll see if that actually happens. 

Yeah you've pretty much got everything covered so I wouldn't sweat too much about the cover.  If you can do it without any worry or stress then great, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

2014-04-27 6:57 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Nicole, I would just ask someone to help you out. Most would be happy to help a young lady out.

Honestly, I have a Joe Blow and another specialized pump. Both are pretty good. I'm a pretty strong guy relatively speaking and I have a hell of a time pumping up past 100 with that crack pipe. Just have someone hold it for you.

Also agree with Arend, you got it covered. Your setup won't be holding you back either way.
2014-04-27 8:40 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Hey all.  Back from vacation - awesome time with the family, but not much in the way of training!  Probably a good thing, as it allowed my knee, shoulder and hamstring to convalesce some.

We walked a TON, though.  I'm going to guess close to 60 miles (100k) over the 9 or 10 days, which put stress on the legs at least.  The kids were troopers.

It will be interesting to see what, if any, effect that might have this season.  It *feels* like all the walking will actually help with the late-in-the-race (HIM distance at least) need for leg toughness, for lack of a better word.

Looking at my April s/b/r totals vs. the previous months, though, it's barely more than a third…  UGH - not what I wanted at this point in the season (but wouldn't trade the trip - even for a Kona spot!).    

I just have time for a 3 week build, one lighter week, one week peak and one week taper before my first half (if work doesn't throw a spanner in the works).  Gonna have to suffice...

Matt

2014-04-27 9:28 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

You sir, are MAD!

None of this was my idea. So not really mad....just stupid for following along. Although I promise you that I am going to be shopping for a wifi derailleur and a 11-32 cassette. These guys I'm riding with now are way too skinny.
2014-04-27 12:04 PM

Master
Northern IL

You sir, are MAD!

None of this was my idea. So not really mad....just stupid for following along. Although I promise you that I am going to be shopping for a wifi derailleur and a 11-32 cassette. These guys I'm riding with now are way too skinny.

Average speed was barely 11 mph, how hard could they have been working, really?

2014-04-27 3:15 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-04-27 3:17 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-04-27 5:23 PM

Originally posted by Fred DQuestion?? What do you think about the Giro Attack helmet with shield as a helmet for ironman racing. I understand it's not quite as fast as a helmet with a tail, but looks more comfy for longer course tri. Thoughts?
I would get that or the evade for hot IM races. That and tails don't really work well for me anyway.

2014-04-28 4:32 AM

Master
Guilford, CT
Originally posted by Fred D

Question?? What do you think about the Giro Attack helmet with shield as a helmet for ironman racing. I understand it's not quite as fast as a helmet with a tail, but looks more comfy for longer course tri. Thoughts?

I think I'd go with the Evade absent the chance to test both with my setup (just based on what I've read on both). I also think the net aero effect would be closer during such a long TT when most people are popping up, turning their heads, looking down etc....causing the tail to act as a big drag. Hard to turtle your head for 5 hours straight. Mix that with the ventilation and I think it is a good combination for long course.
2014-04-28 1:39 PM
in reply to: JAYCT

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by JAYCT
Originally posted by Fred D Question?? What do you think about the Giro Attack helmet with shield as a helmet for ironman racing. I understand it's not quite as fast as a helmet with a tail, but looks more comfy for longer course tri. Thoughts?
I think I'd go with the Evade absent the chance to test both with my setup (just based on what I've read on both). I also think the net aero effect would be closer during such a long TT when most people are popping up, turning their heads, looking down etc....causing the tail to act as a big drag. Hard to turtle your head for 5 hours straight. Mix that with the ventilation and I think it is a good combination for long course.

Compared to a standard helmet I believe the tail still qualified as being more aero - but against the aero road helmet, probably not nearly as much.  For such a long haul in the saddle I'd choose something that maybe nets less benefit in the wind tunnel, but equals out over the course of the bike leg with all the moving around Jay alluded to.

Oh, and Jay - congrats on the quick move up to Cat IV.  missed that earlier.

2014-04-28 5:48 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

Seattle

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by Asalzwed I was sick yesterday The entire race was a struggle but I finished! Was a good exercise in modifying goals on the fly!

Sorry to see that you were sick.  I'm sure it wasn't the time you were hoping for, but a 3:18 is a smashing time all things considered.  Congrats on getting through the day with a still impressive time.

Super yes and again SUPER CONGRATS SALTY!!!

Your super solid training isn't going to disappear, either. That base is firm. When you're ready/want to, peak again and the results will be stunning.

Thank you. It's a little hard to see that right now although I am getting glimpses ... but I know deep down you are right (thankfully!)

Having not run an all out marathon I think I am going to be able to bounce back quickly. I am just torn on whether I want to run another M any time soon (hadn't planned on it) or just stay with my "speed" focused track summer (and some other fun events, like a trail race or something.

I think a "redemption" marathon would probably only be an ego-thing. And I don't like those things. 

I am a little stuck on where to go from here. 

I am, however, doing a bike event this weekend! It's a little 40 miler with beer in the middle. I'm gonna nail that, mark my words

2014-04-28 6:08 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by Asalzwed I was sick yesterday The entire race was a struggle but I finished! Was a good exercise in modifying goals on the fly!

Sorry to see that you were sick.  I'm sure it wasn't the time you were hoping for, but a 3:18 is a smashing time all things considered.  Congrats on getting through the day with a still impressive time.

Your super solid training isn't going to disappear, either. That base is firm. When you're ready/want to, peak again and the results will be stunning.

Thank you. It's a little hard to see that right now although I am getting glimpses ... but I know deep down you are right (thankfully!)

Having not run an all out marathon I think I am going to be able to bounce back quickly. I am just torn on whether I want to run another M any time soon (hadn't planned on it) or just stay with my "speed" focused track summer (and some other fun events, like a trail race or something.

I think a "redemption" marathon would probably only be an ego-thing. And I don't like those things. 

I am, however, doing a bike event this weekend! It's a little 40 miler with beer in the middle. I'm gonna nail that, mark my words

what you really want to do is go run a fast 5K based on your marathon fitness (in a couple of weeks)
you deserve a PR after that training block and a 5 K is an easy way to do it

then, when you are of sound mind and body, decide on your priorities
and if a fast M is something you want more than 6K XC, then you know what you should do

it was a very good race and boston is a b*tch of a course-especially for a stud on rolling uphills, not a forever downhill with some Heartbreak thrown in

2014-04-28 7:06 PM
in reply to: dtoce

Seattle

Originally posted by dtoce
Originally posted by Asalzwed

what you really want to do is go run a fast 5K based on your marathon fitness (in a couple of weeks) you deserve a PR after that training block and a 5 K is an easy way to do it then, when you are of sound mind and body, decide on your priorities and if a fast M is something you want more than 6K XC, then you know what you should do it was a very good race and boston is a b*tch of a course-especially for a stud on rolling uphills, not a forever downhill with some Heartbreak thrown in

Some stuff to think about, indeed

2014-04-28 7:07 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Seattle
2014-04-29 10:57 AM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Fred DQuestion?? What do you think about the Giro Attack helmet with shield as a helmet for ironman racing. I understand it's not quite as fast as a helmet with a tail, but looks more comfy for longer course tri. Thoughts?
I would get that or the evade for hot IM races. That and tails don't really work well for me anyway.

I have the air attack, and now I use it for commuting.  It vents very very poorly and in anything above 80F I have sweat dripping into my face.  Not to mention the helmet with a tail means you have one less spot to worry about sunscreen.  Would not use the Air Attack on an IM.  It's a little more comfortable than the Air Advantage though.

I also found the shield scratches easily and the magnetic snaps started coming apart.

2014-04-29 1:57 PM
in reply to: spudone

Originally posted by spudone

I have the air attack, and now I use it for commuting.  It vents very very poorly and in anything above 80F I have sweat dripping into my face.  Not to mention the helmet with a tail means you have one less spot to worry about sunscreen.  Would not use the Air Attack on an IM.  It's a little more comfortable than the Air Advantage though.

I also found the shield scratches easily and the magnetic snaps started coming apart.

I always thought the AA looked a little warm, especially with the visor.  I think Marc has one as well.  I wonder what he thinks about it.

2014-04-29 3:37 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Knee update.  Won't go more than a couple miles without a flare-up (which I thought was behind me, based on the last couple weeks).  So, lots of 2 mile runs in my future until that's not my limit...

I think this might be a summer of swimming, biking and jogging just for fun, as cutting my run at this point puts me in the completer not competer category - for the first half of the season at a minimum.

Not sure what it will be like not having races to focus on, as I love racing more than training, but that'll be part of the adventure I guess.  

M

2014-04-30 7:36 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Trying to take my bike apart by myself and pack it into my bike bag for the first time ever...during taper....was probably not the smartest idea I've ever had!  There may have been a small freak-out / near break-down last night!

2014-04-30 10:02 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Knee update.  Won't go more than a couple miles without a flare-up (which I thought was behind me, based on the last couple weeks).  So, lots of 2 mile runs in my future until that's not my limit...

I think this might be a summer of swimming, biking and jogging just for fun, as cutting my run at this point puts me in the completer not competer category - for the first half of the season at a minimum.

Not sure what it will be like not having races to focus on, as I love racing more than training, but that'll be part of the adventure I guess.  

M

Are you still planning on doing the Grand Rapids HIM in early June?  I am probably going to pull the trigger on this for the Half.  I see the water temp is up to 55 degrees!

2014-04-30 12:17 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
, California

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Trying to take my bike apart by myself and pack it into my bike bag for the first time ever...during taper....was probably not the smartest idea I've ever had!  There may have been a small freak-out / near break-down last night!

I hope you got it sorted out.  Make sure you have all the tools you need, or borrow from someone.  And Youtube is your friend!

2014-04-30 12:39 PM
in reply to: rymac

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by rymac

M

Are you still planning on doing the Grand Rapids HIM in early June?  I am probably going to pull the trigger on this for the Half.  I see the water temp is up to 55 degrees!

I really hope so, but it now looks questionable at best.  I was able to do 25' s-l-o-w on the 'mill today without much pain, so I'm just going to keep doing that until I can go longer.  

IF biking doesn't aggravate it (or my hamstring), then I might be able to salvage a decent race, although I will not be able to really go for it (too close to race day now to absorb a training setback like this and still be able to really race).

Frustrating, but at least I can go 25'!  Although I love racing, as long as I can keep moving, I'm good...

I hope to see you there!!

Matt

2014-04-30 1:31 PM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by rymac

M

I really hope so, but it now looks questionable at best.  I was able to do 25' s-l-o-w on the 'mill today without much pain, so I'm just going to keep doing that until I can go longer.  

IF biking doesn't aggravate it (or my hamstring), then I might be able to salvage a decent race, although I will not be able to really go for it (too close to race day now to absorb a training setback like this and still be able to really race).

Frustrating, but at least I can go 25'!  Although I love racing, as long as I can keep moving, I'm good...

I hope to see you there!!

Matt

Matt - just hoping things continue to improve for you.  I would wonder if maybe avoiding any running that causes pain might be better than slow and without much pain.  If you can bike and swim then it may just be wiser to lay off the running for a little longer and see what happens.

I'd be in the same boat as you trying to run and not lose all that running fitness/speed, but it's easier to dispense advise than it is to listen to it sometimes. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 21313 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37524 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19912 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24546 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16211 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.