BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-02-26 9:26 AM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723 br />Ann-Marie - Congrats on the Everglades race! Sorry to hear that you're old. Embrace it though, it got you a podium spot, right?  Besides, it beats the alternative.

Lol! I'm sorry I'm officially old too! But I've decided "master" sounds like I've got some special skill, so I'm going to embrace it

First of all, HAHAHAHAHA

Second, for a long time I thought masters meant some sort of high level skills as well. I also find it confusing that it's called masters swimming.

i don't get the masters swim thing either.

Running and cycling have masters divisions too. It's kind of being polite for "old people". Swimming just has it way earlier than the 40 or so of the other two, so that basically all adults will fit into the the "masters" group. It is kind of weird how the youth can be referred to as age groups due to being divided up as such, but then so do masters. Just larger 5 year divisions.

2014-02-26 10:26 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by melbo55

Final build out on le Fantome' Fixie. Taking it out tomorrow for it's maiden voyage. It seems a bit odd to have a computer on something so old school, but it will have my Timex on it, because a ride doesn't happen if you don't upload it somewhere. Or so I'm told.

Wow, great work, Chris!  I'm digging the color scheme.  Can't wait to hear about her first outing!

Thanks, it came out better than I planned. The first trip out was an eye opener. I thought I could ride pretty well, but I learned I have a few weaknesses, namely strength and cadence, which was what I suspected. First off, the fixed rear wheel forces you to keep pedaling, even if you don't want to.  From what I have read, this is where many (more male than female) riders lose time. We have a tendency to coast, and this will NOT allow that. And starting on this bike forces me to push. Hard. Also, anything new (different?) makes me focus a bit on what I am doing, be it new running shoes, new bike, new toys in the pool, etc. And focus, at least for me, is a good thing, as it forced me to look at what needs help and work from there.

Outside of that, it gave me the opportunity to build a bike that is truly "mine". I learned a bit there as well, so that can't be a bad thing can it? And now I have another itch to scratch, namely bike mechanics. I have to learn more on this. So that is another positive. Or not, because my wallet may take a hit on this 

I actually have to thank Adrienne a bit for this, because she once threw out a "Run With a Purpose" challenge. I kind of took that to heart on the bike as well and this bike will give some of my rides a bit of a different and more focused purpose.

Nice looking bike! Everything working well with it? I've actually never ridden a fixie. Just the coaster brake bmx type as a kid.Would definitely be a different experience.

What you're noticing about the continuous pedaling as you tire is very true. People don't necessarily pedal that much easier while as they get a bit tired, but there is a tendency to find more excuses to coast for a few seconds. They'll come more frequently and extend a little longer each time. Another reason why a trainer is so brutal for some first starting out.

2014-02-26 10:36 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Final build out on le Fantome' Fixie. Taking it out tomorrow for it's maiden voyage. It seems a bit odd to have a computer on something so old school, but it will have my Timex on it, because a ride doesn't happen if you don't upload it somewhere. Or so I'm told.

Wow, great work, Chris!  I'm digging the color scheme.  Can't wait to hear about her first outing!

Thanks, it came out better than I planned. The first trip out was an eye opener. I thought I could ride pretty well, but I learned I have a few weaknesses, namely strength and cadence, which was what I suspected. First off, the fixed rear wheel forces you to keep pedaling, even if you don't want to.  From what I have read, this is where many (more male than female) riders lose time. We have a tendency to coast, and this will NOT allow that. And starting on this bike forces me to push. Hard. Also, anything new (different?) makes me focus a bit on what I am doing, be it new running shoes, new bike, new toys in the pool, etc. And focus, at least for me, is a good thing, as it forced me to look at what needs help and work from there.

Outside of that, it gave me the opportunity to build a bike that is truly "mine". I learned a bit there as well, so that can't be a bad thing can it? And now I have another itch to scratch, namely bike mechanics. I have to learn more on this. So that is another positive. Or not, because my wallet may take a hit on this 

I actually have to thank Adrienne a bit for this, because she once threw out a "Run With a Purpose" challenge. I kind of took that to heart on the bike as well and this bike will give some of my rides a bit of a different and more focused purpose.

Nice looking bike! Everything working well with it? I've actually never ridden a fixie. Just the coaster brake bmx type as a kid.Would definitely be a different experience.

What you're noticing about the continuous pedaling as you tire is very true. People don't necessarily pedal that much easier while as they get a bit tired, but there is a tendency to find more excuses to coast for a few seconds. They'll come more frequently and extend a little longer each time. Another reason why a trainer is so brutal for some first starting out.

I hear the engine needs some work...

2014-02-26 10:36 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thanks. It has been an interesting adjustment. The desire to coast is an issue for me, but this is being addressed now  It is working well, I have a brake adjustment to make, in order to insure I am rub free. I found it prior to riding yesterday, and did a quick fix, but I need to go back and check it. I'll probably remove one of the brake sets at some point, just for asthetics. I don't like the front ones on there. But they stay for now, as safety wins out over looks. 

At the end of my rides, I have to go through a stop and go area in my neighborhood. And since this bike is all about the work, I pushed each of them yesterday. Friggin' ouch, was that no fun at all?!? So, I get the sense that it is goiong to do the job I hoped for when I built it.

2014-02-26 10:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I hear the engine needs some work...

Does it ever! I'm not sensitive, you can say it.

Bless his heart. 

Edited by cdban66 2014-02-26 10:39 AM
2014-02-26 10:51 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Did you make that bike for me?  Awwww how nice. How did you know my favourite colour was red!?  Thank you!!

Is anyone racing this weekend?   I signed up for the hot chocolate run back in November, the 15K. Turns out I haven't ran...AT ALL! So now I'm doing the 5K. Ha!    Great swag I hear, should be as it cost me enough!

Going to be near 60 DEGREES here today! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

2014-02-26 10:53 AM
in reply to: Triathlynne

User image

Master

Originally posted by Triathlynne

Did you make that bike for me?  Awwww how nice. How did you know my favourite colour was red!?  Thank you!!

Is anyone racing this weekend?   I signed up for the hot chocolate run back in November, the 15K. Turns out I haven't ran...AT ALL! So now I'm doing the 5K. Ha!    Great swag I hear, should be as it cost me enough!

I'm doing a Hot Chocolate run this weekend too

2014-02-26 12:08 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by bcraht

What distance?

2014-02-26 12:20 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

What distance?

Just a 5km.  I don't think I have ever done this distance, so it's bound to be a PR!

2014-02-26 1:14 PM

User image

Master

For Monica.  This is Mozart.  The bag was just lying in the middle of the room; it is a fabric bag, which doesn't stay open.  He is fat, and had to work a fair bit to get himself in there.  

2014-02-26 1:17 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

For Monica.  This is Mozart.  The bag was just lying in the middle of the room; it is a fabric bag, which doesn't stay open.  He is fat, and had to work a fair bit to get himself in there.  

Awwww - What a cutie!!  

Sadly, our kittehs don't seem to like bags either, unless they're the plastic ones and then all Priscilla does is want to eat them.  Cats may be manipulative, devious creatures that are continuously plotting our deaths... but they're not all that smart.  

2014-02-26 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

He got his workout in!  I think that he can log it as yoga.

2014-02-26 1:32 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

Ha!  Does that mean I can log yoga when I squeeze myself into my tri top?

2014-02-26 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

You'll just have to ask yourself, "What would Yanti do?"

Then, after 30 seconds of deliberation, log it ;-)

2014-02-26 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
This is a couple of years old, but since we have cat lovers on board. http://m.wimp.com/catdolphins/
2014-02-26 2:45 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Adorable!

On a non-cat related note, I just ate a snack of maple flavored yogurt = heaven.

2014-02-26 2:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by amd723 This is a couple of years old, but since we have cat lovers on board. http://m.wimp.com/catdolphins/

That is such a cute video!  It makes me wonder what is truly going on in each animal's mind.

Edited by melbo55 2014-02-26 2:48 PM
2014-02-26 3:20 PM
in reply to: Triathlynne

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Swimming in an endless pool was amazing. Took a wee bit getting used to but once I did it was great.

I accepted the job offer i got from the family I interviewed with on Sunday! Really big pay rise and healthcare so I'm verra happy. Now I can get my Honda Fit and maybe a new road bike.   :D

Congratulations!! That's great news.

2014-02-26 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

No kidding. I make my husband leave the room. It cannot be a pretty sight.

2014-02-26 3:27 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by amd723 This is a couple of years old, but since we have cat lovers on board. http://m.wimp.com/catdolphins/
Ahhh. Two of my favorite things. I never thought I'd see them together!

2014-02-26 4:46 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Awesome!!!!!  Hoping it stays at least dry for it! :D

2014-02-26 5:55 PM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by KansasMom

Ahhh. Two of my favorite things. I never thought I'd see them together!

That is soooo cute!

Well I'm back among the living. Yesterday I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. DH is threatening to take the skewer out of my bike so I don't get too energetic and try to ride. I'll be happy if I hit my Jantastic goal this week.

On the family front, Mom was wheeled in to surgery for a double by-pass on her femoral a few minutes ago. This all started a few weeks ago when she hurt her foot and it didn't heal. Obviously it's escalated from there. About 10 years ago she had a brain aneurism so they took the artery from her leg to by-pass that. Of course did she quit smoking 10 years ago? NO! So now she is at risk of loosing at the very least some toes, possibly more. I want to go up but figure my post-op blah isn't going to help anybody  My nurse/SIL is keeping me posted.

2014-02-26 6:09 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

A bit of retail therapy. I ordered two pairs of Pure Connect 2's because they were 50% off and I'm not crazy about the 3's. 

2014-02-26 6:57 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by rrrunner

A bit of retail therapy. I ordered two pairs of Pure Connect 2's because they were 50% off and I'm not crazy about the 3's. 

Pure Connect 2 is a great shoe, one of my favorites.

2014-02-26 9:27 PM

User image

Melon Presser

You'll just have to ask yourself, "What would Yanti do?"

Then, after 30 seconds of deliberation, log it ;-)

I SAW THAT

Heh. Kingsley and I put ourselves through a workout trying to get me into a dress yesterday--then we figured out it had a zipper down the side. Durrrr ... at least Kingsley has an excuse!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25668 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38306 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18131 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.