Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by juniperjen

How's it going Manatees? It's quiet around here. I know life is picking up for me - like, kid activities and social obligations and with Fall arriving and feeling the cold and dark it can be hard to keep at it. 

I went north of me yesterday to go to a great Scandinavian baths spa and was surprised by snowfall there - we have had such a mild Fall and in Toronto was cool but totally clear but nearer to the spa it was covering the road and we saw a car in a ditch. I felt really dumb, not at all prepared but we were fine. Winter is coming! 

I think that the NC mountains might get some flurries this weekend. What say you, Robin?

I'm doing well.  I started my winter training plan on Monday. I'm getting things organized for that.

We've also been working on getting our main bathroom remodeled. Hey' it's only 25 years old ;-) We have been picking out tile, tubs, cabinets, etc. Lots of side trips. I don't know how I feel about having (possibly unvaccinated) contractors in the house but we had planned to do this last year and don't want to put if off another year.

Remodeling is exciting! And annoying! 
We will get winter Monday when the projected low is 53* and high 75*  Then we’re back to 80s.

Enjoy your early Florida winter!

the mountains north of us got some snow today, i really wanted to go and ride some of the trails with a dusting of snow. Sigh, maybe next year. Enjoy your remodeling, if you can. The results are worth the effort. We required the workers to wear a mask if they weren't vaccinated. They all did. (Our county has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the state).This has been a busy week: we came home from Key West and the airline lost my wheelchair we bought ao I could get around. I saw it loaded on the jet and it was a non-stop flight. Evidently there is a 4th or 5th dimension it slipped in to. Amazing! What is also amazing is the total indifference. What if I truly needed it? Their reaction was I could rent one and have it delivered to the airport!! Just wow.My "race" is to virtually do the Cades Cove loop lope 10 mile race. I am going to try to do 3 separate days of 3.3 miles. I may have to do 4 days of 2.5. We shall see.

I'm still in shock that they "lost" a wheelchair!  What the heck?!

I'm glad that you are doing a virtual Cades Cove. Here's hoping that we all get back to in person events in 2022.

I wouldn't be surprised if that 4th or 5th dimension was located in a baggage handler's car trunk!

I know it is not the race you wanted, but I am happy to see that you will be able to get some mileage in!  

2021-11-05 11:57 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

I am one of the starting-the-training-plan folks, having launched into it with Coach Kim on Wednesday, as it turned out.  I got the blessing on swim days to do her workout, then join the masters crew if I want [to get my butt thoroughly kicked].  Yay!!  So far it's going OK although today's life schedule is making getting the bike workout in a bit tough.  Car oil change, getting wheel & whatnot switched over on Rico (tri bike) to get it on the trainer (and give the road bike a little love, aka cleaning/oiling), work, service for EFP's friends' son (I knew him some, too), then a Pampered Chef party.  I need a clone!

2021-11-05 12:07 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

I am one of the starting-the-training-plan folks, having launched into it with Coach Kim on Wednesday, as it turned out.  I got the blessing on swim days to do her workout, then join the masters crew if I want [to get my butt thoroughly kicked].  Yay!!  So far it's going OK although today's life schedule is making getting the bike workout in a bit tough.  Car oil change, getting wheel & whatnot switched over on Rico (tri bike) to get it on the trainer (and give the road bike a little love, aka cleaning/oiling), work, service for EFP's friends' son (I knew him some, too), then a Pampered Chef party.  I need a clone!

I always feel like the first week of a training plan takes a lot of getting organized.  It takes me a while to settle in.

2021-11-05 2:31 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thank you, Melanie and Ann-Marie, for your feedback. Now that you mentioned those worked, I remembered that this is what I used to do. I did lots of 50x50 and 50x100. And I actually started with just 25's to get my form and endurance up to speed.
2021-11-05 2:38 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 Thank you, Melanie and Ann-Marie, for your feedback. Now that you mentioned those worked, I remembered that this is what I used to do. I did lots of 50x50 and 50x100. And I actually started with just 25's to get my form and endurance up to speed.

Great news!

I'll second Jen's recommendation of getting a book of workouts or else look for a set of workouts online such as the one on this blog or this one.

I'm sure that Karen and some of our other swimming Manatees will also have suggestions.

2021-11-05 2:45 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83 Thank you, Melanie and Ann-Marie, for your feedback. Now that you mentioned those worked, I remembered that this is what I used to do. I did lots of 50x50 and 50x100. And I actually started with just 25's to get my form and endurance up to speed.

Great news!

I'll second Jen's recommendation of getting a book of workouts or else look for a set of workouts online such as the one on this blog or this one.

I'm sure that Karen and some of our other swimming Manatees will also have suggestions.

The workouts in a binder book is great too because it's small and has waterproof pages so you can take it right to the pool and leave it in your bag. 

2021-11-05 3:05 PM

Proof of life post. Things have been super busy with work following my week out of state. Have also had a lot going with the kids’ school, and like juniperjen (and definitely unlike ann-marie) have been busy gearing up for winter. We play pretty hard during the summer, so there is always so much “stuff” to put away heading in to the winter, get the plow on the ATV, etc. I have also developed a golf obsession, so squeezing out the last couple of rounds before things iced over and the snow fell (which it now has) took up some time.

I also want to get going on a new training plan. I’ve been looking through some plans and know I need to get one going. I was actually thinking the other day that I hope there will be a new manatee challenge period going again soon. I also just hired my new clerk for next year and she is really into road biking (among many other outdoor activities). I usually try to incorporate outdoor activities with my clerks, so I was realizing I need to get to biking a lot more so I can ride during lunches with her next year. I’ve done skiing, skating, fishing, and racquetball with past clerks, so this seemed like a great opportunity to commit to more road biking. A friend of mine did the virtual Boston marathon this year and just got her medal the other day. Super cool to have that, and since I would never actually ‘qualify for Boston,’ I’m thinking of taking a run at that for next year since I don’t see COVID ending anytime soon and figure virtual races are likely here to stay for at least a bit.
2021-11-05 3:07 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri Proof of life post. Things have been super busy with work following my week out of state. Have also had a lot going with the kids’ school, and like juniperjen (and definitely unlike ann-marie) have been busy gearing up for winter. We play pretty hard during the summer, so there is always so much “stuff” to put away heading in to the winter, get the plow on the ATV, etc. I have also developed a golf obsession, so squeezing out the last couple of rounds before things iced over and the snow fell (which it now has) took up some time. I also want to get going on a new training plan. I’ve been looking through some plans and know I need to get one going. I was actually thinking the other day that I hope there will be a new manatee challenge period going again soon. I also just hired my new clerk for next year and she is really into road biking (among many other outdoor activities). I usually try to incorporate outdoor activities with my clerks, so I was realizing I need to get to biking a lot more so I can ride during lunches with her next year. I’ve done skiing, skating, fishing, and racquetball with past clerks, so this seemed like a great opportunity to commit to more road biking. A friend of mine did the virtual Boston marathon this year and just got her medal the other day. Super cool to have that, and since I would never actually ‘qualify for Boston,’ I’m thinking of taking a run at that for next year since I don’t see COVID ending anytime soon and figure virtual races are likely here to stay for at least a bit.

It's really cool that you incorporate outdoor activities with your clerks!

2021-11-05 6:26 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri Proof of life post. Things have been super busy with work following my week out of state. Have also had a lot going with the kids’ school, and like juniperjen (and definitely unlike ann-marie) have been busy gearing up for winter. We play pretty hard during the summer, so there is always so much “stuff” to put away heading in to the winter, get the plow on the ATV, etc. I have also developed a golf obsession, so squeezing out the last couple of rounds before things iced over and the snow fell (which it now has) took up some time. I also want to get going on a new training plan. I’ve been looking through some plans and know I need to get one going. I was actually thinking the other day that I hope there will be a new manatee challenge period going again soon. I also just hired my new clerk for next year and she is really into road biking (among many other outdoor activities). I usually try to incorporate outdoor activities with my clerks, so I was realizing I need to get to biking a lot more so I can ride during lunches with her next year. I’ve done skiing, skating, fishing, and racquetball with past clerks, so this seemed like a great opportunity to commit to more road biking. A friend of mine did the virtual Boston marathon this year and just got her medal the other day. Super cool to have that, and since I would never actually ‘qualify for Boston,’ I’m thinking of taking a run at that for next year since I don’t see COVID ending anytime soon and figure virtual races are likely here to stay for at least a bit.

x2

2021-11-05 6:44 PM
in reply to: amd723

x2

I find the people that hate living up here are the ones that hate to play outside. I don't want a clerk that comes up for a year and is miserable. So I look for clerks who do well in school, write well, committed to public service, etc. But I also look for those that love outdoor activities and are going to come and play for a year and have the time of their life.
2021-11-06 6:38 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by alaskatri

x2

I find the people that hate living up here are the ones that hate to play outside. I don't want a clerk that comes up for a year and is miserable. So I look for clerks who do well in school, write well, committed to public service, etc. But I also look for those that love outdoor activities and are going to come and play for a year and have the time of their life.
that is really cool. And fun. I am ignorant, clerks only stay for a year?

2021-11-06 6:59 PM
in reply to: #5273965

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
This has been the hardest week of my adult life, and it's all because of my job.

I'm SO over the lack of respect educators get from all sides...school leadership, parents, the community, and students. My own principal is amazing, but I have never disagreed with my county leadership on so many things. I just can't do this anymore...

I spent today writing my resume for the 1st time in 18 years. I've got my eye on a position as a technical/policy and procedure writer, so here's hoping I can get an interview.

Any and all advice to get someone to read my resume welcome.

I'm so disheartened, but glad to finally feel shitty enough to be motivated to make a change. I've been pretty unhappy for 3 years, but it's been nothing like this.
2021-11-07 4:01 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by glfprncs

This has been the hardest week of my adult life, and it's all because of my job.

I'm SO over the lack of respect educators get from all sides...school leadership, parents, the community, and students. My own principal is amazing, but I have never disagreed with my county leadership on so many things. I just can't do this anymore...

I spent today writing my resume for the 1st time in 18 years. I've got my eye on a position as a technical/policy and procedure writer, so here's hoping I can get an interview.

I'm so disheartened, but glad to finally feel enough to be motivated to make a change. I've been pretty unhappy for 3 years, but it's been nothing like this.

I'm so sorry you've been pushed to this point --- I know several other educators who have left the profession for exactly the same reasons. No advice, just wishing you the best.
2021-11-07 1:08 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by glfprncsThis has been the hardest week of my adult life, and it's all because of my job.I'm SO over the lack of respect educators get from all sides...school leadership, parents, the community, and students. My own principal is amazing, but I have never disagreed with my county leadership on so many things. I just can't do this anymore...I spent today writing my resume for the 1st time in 18 years. I've got my eye on a position as a technical/policy and procedure writer, so here's hoping I can get an interview.Any and all advice to get someone to read my resume welcome.I'm so disheartened, but glad to finally feel enough to be motivated to make a change. I've been pretty unhappy for 3 years, but it's been nothing like this.
I'm so sorry you've been pushed to this point --- I know several other educators who have left the profession for exactly the same reasons. No advice, just wishing you the best.
I am so sorry. It is awful to feel so awful about your job. Fingers double crossed for an interview.
2021-11-07 1:24 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncsThis has been the hardest week of my adult life, and it's all because of my job.I'm SO over the lack of respect educators get from all sides...school leadership, parents, the community, and students. My own principal is amazing, but I have never disagreed with my county leadership on so many things. I just can't do this anymore...I spent today writing my resume for the 1st time in 18 years. I've got my eye on a position as a technical/policy and procedure writer, so here's hoping I can get an interview.Any and all advice to get someone to read my resume welcome.I'm so disheartened, but glad to finally feel enough to be motivated to make a change. I've been pretty unhappy for 3 years, but it's been nothing like this.
I am so sorry. It is awful to feel so awful about your job. Fingers double crossed for an interview.

Like the others, I am sorry to read you are having a craptastic experience with your job. Good on you for taking steps to change things up. I don't work in HR, but I was recently part of the hiring group for the newest members of my department. A few things I recommend for your resume is to keep it 1 page; make it easy to scan - people take like 20 seconds per resume, and if you are changing careers and your current job skills aren't obviously relatable to the job you are applying for then a short objective section that links the 2 is helpful. I've also heard that some places have started using AI to weed out resumes which means (I think) that it looks for certain words in your resume that are relevant to the job.

Good luck!

2021-11-08 9:07 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by juniperjen

Great news!

The workouts in a binder book is great too because it's small and has waterproof pages so you can take it right to the pool and leave it in your bag. 

Ohhh, that's awesome!
Thanks for sharing more resources, Janyne.

2021-11-08 9:12 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by glfprncs

I'm so disheartened, but glad to finally feel enough to be motivated to make a change. I've been pretty unhappy for 3 years, but it's been nothing like this.

Ohhh I am so sorry! This is very sad I've always wanted to be a teacher, so it is heartbreaking when I see and hear those stories :/
On the other side, this could be a good opportunity for something better... I guess I like to look at it that way, and sometimes it workes - there are many roles where your talents can be used and appreciated.

I have to review resumes for various roles and am happy to take a look - I am not an expert, and I cannot speak on the grammar/language, but can note the overall impression and ways to improve, if necessary (I have seen many, many bad resumes, so I kind of feel I can point some mistakes).

No matter what happens, I wish you tons of good luck!
2021-11-08 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

{{hugs}} Thinking of you.

2021-11-08 9:21 AM

x2

that is really cool. And fun. I am ignorant, clerks only stay for a year?

Generally yes, they stay for a year. My current clerk loves it here enough that she decided to stay a second year. I was pretty fortunate for that as she's been great.
2021-11-08 9:47 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Thanks for your vote.  

Ya...I think I have four monkeys on my back.  I need to focus on one of them because when all the monkies team-up I am no challenge for them.   

So many monkeys!

so... it IS your circus, and the ARE your monkeys!

So...after the votes for IM 140.6 last week I got in the IM TX registration to see if slots were still open.  Registration is still open, but the price for the 2022 race is $874 for the general entry.  I checked around at the price of other races and the three non-M-Dot races I am interested in are around $350.  

I checked the Woodlands Marathons (which has the same run course as much of the IM Texas run course) and it is $125 (plus $9.50 on-line registration fee).  So....I am going to be doing a Marathon in March.

I will do the local Sprint race in May and the Cap Tex Olympic race again and the River Roux Olypic race this year.  That leaves me with enough money saved from not doing IM Texas that I can probably still do a destination Race (National Championship Duathlon, Apple Duathlon, 70.3 race, etc.)

2021-11-08 9:51 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks for your vote.  

Ya...I think I have four monkeys on my back.  I need to focus on one of them because when all the monkies team-up I am no challenge for them.   

So many monkeys!

So...after the votes for IM 140.6 last week I got in the IM TX registration to see if slots were still open.  Registration is still open, but the price for the 2022 race is $874 for the general entry.  I checked around at the price of other races and the three non-M-Dot races I am interested in are around $350.  

I checked the Woodlands Marathons (which has the same run course as much of the IM Texas run course) and it is $125 (plus $9.50 on-line registration fee).  So....I am going to be doing a Marathon in March.

I will do the local Sprint race in May and the Cap Tex Olympic race again and the River Roux Olypic race this year.  That leaves me with enough money saved from not doing IM Texas that I can probably still do a destination Race (National Championship Duathlon, Apple Duathlon, 70.3 race, etc.)

Great approach! And a March marathon should be fun!

2021-11-08 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks for your vote.  

So many monkeys!

Agreed! IM is so, so spendy it is crazy!! 

2021-11-08 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Thanks for your vote.  

So many monkeys!

Agree - the financial part is also an important consideration. The sticker shock is real, for sure! 

This way you get to do a lot more :D 

2021-11-08 11:54 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Denver, Colorado

Thanks for your vote.  

So many monkeys!

That sounds like a great plan!
2021-11-08 12:23 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by glfprncs This has been the hardest week of my adult life, and it's all because of my job. I'm SO over the lack of respect educators get from all sides...school leadership, parents, the community, and students. My own principal is amazing, but I have never disagreed with my county leadership on so many things. I just can't do this anymore... I spent today writing my resume for the 1st time in 18 years. I've got my eye on a position as a technical/policy and procedure writer, so here's hoping I can get an interview. Any and all advice to get someone to read my resume welcome. I'm so disheartened, but glad to finally feel enough to be motivated to make a change. I've been pretty unhappy for 3 years, but it's been nothing like this.

I'm happy to help! I am not a resume professional, but do write for a living and love shaping up resumes Feel free to DM me or I can give you my email address if you want to send a draft!

My biggest tips:

• Customize your resume for the job you're applying for - do this by lifting key words from the job description and making direct connections to how your experience aligns with what they're looking for
  • Quantify key accomplishments with metrics (increased productivity by 20% over 18 months)
  • Use action verbs - here's a great list of them
  • If you're worried about age discrimination, remove any graduation years from your education - just list school/degree. You can also remove old/irrelevant roles from the start of your career.
  • Last - remove your home address from your resume for safety/privacy reasons - just list city and state
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74