BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-06-23 11:33 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Interesting thoughts about PRs arrived in my inbox this morning.

What if your personal record was about joy?

What if our personal record was about fun?

What if this summer you chased happiness?

I LOVE this!

2019-06-23 11:34 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by fortissimo I was supposed to do a Sprint tomorrow but was on the fence because the forecast is calling for thunder storms at race start. Then yesterday Dug was acting really weird. We took him to the emergency vet at his cancer vet at 8:30. At 11 pm we made the decision to put him to sleep. He had a tumor on his spleen that had ruptured and he was bleeding internally. This cancer is totally unrelated to his osteosarcoma. Needless to say I'm not racing tomorrow. I'm just going to turn the weekend into a training weekend.
OH. This is so sad. I am sorry and sending you good thoughts

2019-06-23 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

June 22-23
Kirsten - Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant on Sunday
Stacey - Eagle and Child Trail 21k on Sunday
Marysia - Aurora BayCare High Cliff Triathlon on Sunday (first HIM)
Ann-Marie - Indiatlantic Boardwalk Triathlon on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Hope you all have all sorts of PRs today!

2019-06-23 8:16 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by fortissimo

I was supposed to do a Sprint tomorrow but was on the fence because the forecast is calling for thunder storms at race start.

Then yesterday Dug was acting really weird. We took him to the emergency vet at his cancer vet at 8:30. At 11 pm we made the decision to put him to sleep. He had a tumor on his spleen that had ruptured and he was bleeding internally. This cancer is totally unrelated to his osteosarcoma.

Needless to say I'm not racing tomorrow. I'm just going to turn the weekend into a training weekend.

I'm so sorry to hear this. A wise person once shared with me (after we said goodbye to my sweet boy, TC) that "If love could've saved him, he would've lived forever." No truer words have been said. That said, you know you did was best and you did right for your sweet Dug. <3
2019-06-24 8:48 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Orlando

Question for the Pod: Do any of you go sock-less with your running shoes? I used to use Zoot running shoes for all short distance tris and they were great . Zoot shoes are hard to find these days. especially ones that work for me, so I'm looking for another brand. The only caveat is i can't have a low drop shoe or my Achilles will get angry. 

2019-06-24 10:39 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by fortissimo I was supposed to do a Sprint tomorrow but was on the fence because the forecast is calling for thunder storms at race start. Then yesterday Dug was acting really weird. We took him to the emergency vet at his cancer vet at 8:30. At 11 pm we made the decision to put him to sleep. He had a tumor on his spleen that had ruptured and he was bleeding internally. This cancer is totally unrelated to his osteosarcoma. Needless to say I'm not racing tomorrow. I'm just going to turn the weekend into a training weekend.
So sorry to hear this, Robin.

2019-06-24 11:22 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

So sorry to hear this, Robin.

x2 - so very sorry. It's a tough thing to happen and have to do. Many many hugs to you. 

2019-06-24 12:02 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I was supposed to do a Sprint tomorrow but was on the fence because the forecast is calling for thunder storms at race start.

Then yesterday Dug was acting really weird. We took him to the emergency vet at his cancer vet at 8:30. At 11 pm we made the decision to put him to sleep. He had a tumor on his spleen that had ruptured and he was bleeding internally. This cancer is totally unrelated to his osteosarcoma.

Needless to say I'm not racing tomorrow. I'm just going to turn the weekend into a training weekend.

oh no. So sorry.
2019-06-24 2:24 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

Question for the Pod: Do any of you go sock-less with your running shoes? I used to use Zoot running shoes for all short distance tris and they were great . Zoot shoes are hard to find these days. especially ones that work for me, so I'm looking for another brand. The only caveat is i can't have a low drop shoe or my Achilles will get angry. 

I have never attempted the sockless shoe ... the other one that jumps to mind is the Asics Tri Noosa but i am not sure if they make it anymore ... 

2019-06-24 4:35 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

oh no. So sorry.

Oh no, I am so sorry.... How are you feeling today?
2019-06-24 4:37 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Yes, I run with Mizuno with no socks and it was fine. One year I bought a new ones, and there was something with the thread inside that bothered my skin, and gave me blisters, thus, I had to wear socks with those.

2019-06-24 4:46 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
I want to THANK all of you for your advice and training comments!
I managed the race successfully yesterday. It took me bit over 7 hours, but felt very comfortable and nice. I followed your nutrition plan, did the bubbles, started slowly, remained conservative.
I had some issues with water at the very end of the swim, but managed. Had extremely strong headwind for the first half of the bike, but survived it. Overall, great experience, and I will definitely train for more of those!

I also decided to buy a wetsuit... I had this fascination/obsession with long distance open water, where you are not allowed with wetsuit, thus, I only wanted to swim without it, but I think until I'm ready for swim marathon, I need to work on my form and many other things, and I may as well keep swimming in the wetsuit. Anyways, I enjoyed 70.3 and I want more of it. Given how slow this one went, with proper training there will be a PR next time

Once again, thank you for all your wise advice!
2019-06-24 5:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

oh no. So sorry.

Oh no, I am so sorry.... How are you feeling today?
Im so sorry and I share your heart break. This is how we lost our girl in October, no sign of anything being wrong and WHAM! It sucks so bad.
2019-06-24 5:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by marysia83

I want to THANK all of you for your advice and training comments!
I managed the race successfully yesterday. It took me bit over 7 hours, but felt very comfortable and nice. I followed your nutrition plan, did the bubbles, started slowly, remained conservative.
I had some issues with water at the very end of the swim, but managed. Had extremely strong headwind for the first half of the bike, but survived it. Overall, great experience, and I will definitely train for more of those!

I also decided to buy a wetsuit... I had this fascination/obsession with long distance open water, where you are not allowed with wetsuit, thus, I only wanted to swim without it, but I think until I'm ready for swim marathon, I need to work on my form and many other things, and I may as well keep swimming in the wetsuit. Anyways, I enjoyed 70.3 and I want more of it. Given how slow this one went, with proper training there will be a PR next time

Once again, thank you for all your wise advice!
Well done Mary. I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself.
2019-06-25 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Robin, I am sorry for your loss. You have been in my thoughts and prayers since I first saw this.

2019-06-26 6:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I finally was able to join in Master's swim again today. Two things...

First, the 80+ y.o. man in the lane next to me swimming sub 1:45/100 y laps, I bow down to thee. He is amazing.

Second, one of our 'transition' segments in today's workout was 4x25 IM order. Wellllllllllllll, home slice here has NO idea how to do butterfly. Coach gave me some instruction and said I had to do at least 7 strokes. I swear, everyone on the pool deck was in hysterics. Butterfly+Nancy=Total cluster

In the end, a great 3400 yard swim with some excellent instruction on my freestyle

Edited by glfprncs 2019-06-28 6:52 AM

2019-06-26 10:03 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master

Originally posted by glfprncs I finally was able to join in Master's swim again today. Two things... First, the 80+ y.o. man in the lane next to me swimming sub 1:45/100 y laps, I now down to thee. He was amazing. Second, one of our 'transition' segments in today's workout was 4x25 IM order. Wellllllllllllll, home slice here has NO idea how to do butterfly. Coach gave me some instruction and said I had to do at least 7 strokes. I swear, everyone on the pool deck was in hysterics. Butterfly+Nancy=Total cluster In the end, a great 3400 yard swim with some excellent instruction on my freestyle

I am always humbled by the very old and very young that do 100 in what I take to do 50....

2019-06-26 10:14 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

I had a great race on Sunday.  Had the swim of my life, despite feeling like I was slow the entire time.  I executed my plan on the bike and had a decent time, and went out a bit hot on the run, on purpose to see what I could do, and ended up slowing down on the second half.  All in all a really good race for me.  I had wanted to take my training into the race and I feel I did that, so pretty happy.  I have learned a ton so far this season, about about myself mostly and I used it all on Sunday.  Whistler 70.3 is up next!

2019-06-27 2:30 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IronOx

I had a great race on Sunday.  Had the swim of my life, despite feeling like I was slow the entire time.  I executed my plan on the bike and had a decent time, and went out a bit hot on the run, on purpose to see what I could do, and ended up slowing down on the second half.  All in all a really good race for me.  I had wanted to take my training into the race and I feel I did that, so pretty happy.  I have learned a ton so far this season, about about myself mostly and I used it all on Sunday.  Whistler 70.3 is up next!

Congratulations! It’s great when you have a race that is representative of all your hard training. Watch out Whistler!!

2019-06-27 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IronOx

Great news! I'm so glad that you had a good race.

2019-06-27 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy birthday, Chris!

2019-06-27 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Rumors and Gossip

Endurance Nation did a member's town hall session online earlier this week (I was riding my bike so I am catching up with the recording).  As part of it, there was a challenge -- they want an additional 50 Ironman (full distance) sign ups. These are new sign ups and there are some benefits (EN gear mostly). If this goal is met, they will make Coach Patrick do something embarrassing at Kona. 

Why am I telling you this? Because Ironman issued the challenge to Endurance Nation.  And why did Ironman issue this challenge to EN (and presumably other large teams like Wattie Inc, Big Sexy Racing, etc.)?  Well, races are not selling out.

This makes me think that the earlier rumor that I heard about 2019 possibly being the last IMNC may be on target.

2019-06-27 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Rumors and Gossip

Endurance Nation did a member's town hall session online earlier this week (I was riding my bike so I am catching up with the recording).  As part of it, there was a challenge -- they want an additional 50 Ironman (full distance) sign ups. These are new sign ups and there are some benefits (EN gear mostly). If this goal is met, they will make Coach Patrick do something embarrassing at Kona. 

Why am I telling you this? Because Ironman issued the challenge to Endurance Nation.  And why did Ironman issue this challenge to EN (and presumably other large teams like Wattie Inc, Big Sexy Racing, etc.)?  Well, races are not selling out.

This makes me think that the earlier rumor that I heard about 2019 possibly being the last IMNC may be on target.

I keep getting emails from IM Wisconsin begging me to sign up. At first i thought it was because I am obviously an elite athlete and they want me specifically there to help raise the race profile, but now i'm starting to think it may be because the races aren't selling out like they used too

2019-06-27 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Happy birthday, Chris!

Happy birthday!!

2019-06-27 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Rumors and Gossip

I keep getting emails from IM Wisconsin begging me to sign up. At first i thought it was because I am obviously an elite athlete and they want me specifically there to help raise the race profile, but now i'm starting to think it may be because the races aren't selling out like they used too

We all know that you are an Elite Athlete and would be a big draw for spectators!

I keep getting emails for Louisville and Chattanooga.  Lake Placid hasn't sold out yet either.  They added some sort of triclub thing to Chattanooga and they added a relay as well. The added some All World Athlete thing to Louisville.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107