BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-01-07 7:28 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm
Yep, with the Clifton 4 I NOTICE the shoes and my feet with every step. My feet don't hurt, exactly, but the shoe is heavy and inflexible, and I feel like it forces me into this weird, heel-striking, clunky stride which isn't my natural stride at all. (I tend to run more on the balls of my feet.) Weird soreness that I don't get from running in any other shoes--hips, back, achilles...

I had the Clifton 3's and really liked them for trail-running (awesome padding and treads) and even normal runs when my neuroma was acting up more. Would never race or do speed work in them (except maybe a technical trail race) but they served well for normal training runs and easy days. The only major issue I had with them is they got really heavy when wet--a big issue in Saigon; not just rain but sweat!

I assumed the 4's would be an improvement--most models have gotten lighter and more durable over the years with improved materials, but not....Yuck! Big waste of $80 (at least I got them at a discount). I wonder if it is a size issue--not sure how heavy you are, but maybe at 115-120 pounds, I am not the target audience for these shoes. Maybe they are meant for heavier runners with more impact issues?

2019-01-08 12:36 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by cdban66

Hey y'all. Just got finished with Piggy's, it was a wet fest. We bailed on a couple of pieces, it was just too much mud. 32.5 miles worth of a 40 miler. I'm good with that. Here's how wet it was, at one of the water crossings, I was nearly up to the top bar on my 29'r. The guy on the fat tire bike behind us went down and actually was under water for a moment. Fully submerged.

The real reason for my post is to clear up the Jogo Challenge a bit. I think we'll roll it out after we close up the group. I do have a link to the preliminary Google Spreadsheet for the challenge in my logs. If you have any feedback on it, hit me up and we'll adjust whatever we can. 

YIKES! That's quite a water crossing!

I think that we should start the JoGo challenge next Monday if folks are good with that. I know that Stacey has some special requirements on when it is acceptable to start a challenge:

Regarding closing the group, I don't have any thoughts on the timing. I just wanted to update the roster and the Strava group while I had time. Stuff may hit the fan at work soon...

Stacey's working on getting over her ODC in relation to stuff that really doesn't matter so hell lets start it on Tuesday 15th just to really mess with my head
2019-01-08 12:42 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Hey y'all. Just got finished with Piggy's, it was a wet fest. We bailed on a couple of pieces, it was just too much mud. 32.5 miles worth of a 40 miler. I'm good with that. Here's how wet it was, at one of the water crossings, I was nearly up to the top bar on my 29'r. The guy on the fat tire bike behind us went down and actually was under water for a moment. Fully submerged.

The real reason for my post is to clear up the Jogo Challenge a bit. I think we'll roll it out after we close up the group. I do have a link to the preliminary Google Spreadsheet for the challenge in my logs. If you have any feedback on it, hit me up and we'll adjust whatever we can. 

I think that we should start the JoGo challenge next Monday if folks are good with that. I know that Stacey has some special requirements on when it is acceptable to start a challenge:

Regarding closing the group, I don't have any thoughts on the timing. I just wanted to update the roster and the Strava group while I had time. Stuff may hit the fan at work soon...

Currently we are set to begin on 1/14/2019. If anyone wants to take a look at it, we have 4 separate challenges, one weight based, one eating based, one based on moving and a fourth based on distance traveled. So anyone can do one or more of the challenges if they so desire. We may be able to come up with a prize for winning each challenge. I may be able to get my hands on a 2019 Piggy's Revenge tech shirt or some other cool swag like beer bottle openers or coozies or some such awesomeness. So feel free to start planning your next 6 or 7 weeks of training!

JoGo Manatee Challenge

I'll be in them all and I'll do my best to convert everything correctly to your crazy US measurements.

You really should change to the metric system its much simpler
2019-01-08 12:46 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Originally posted by StaceyK

Currently we are set to begin on 1/14/2019. If anyone wants to take a look at it, we have 4 separate challenges, one weight based, one eating based, one based on moving and a fourth based on distance traveled. So anyone can do one or more of the challenges if they so desire. We may be able to come up with a prize for winning each challenge. I may be able to get my hands on a 2019 Piggy's Revenge tech shirt or some other cool swag like beer bottle openers or coozies or some such awesomeness. So feel free to start planning your next 6 or 7 weeks of training!

JoGo Manatee Challenge

I'll be in them all and I'll do my best to convert everything correctly to your crazy US measurements. You really should change to the metric system its much simpler
I agree with that last statement 110%.
2019-01-08 8:00 AM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by tdl1972

JoGo Manatee Challenge

The challenges look good. I especially like my chances in the weight loss category since I'm just getting started on my new "Manatee to 70.3" training program after a three year layoff. And what's this I hear about another Ragnar? #whoneedssleep?!?

We are looking at RAGNAR Florida Trail on December 6-7.  When we first talked about it, there were a lot of Definitely Maybes. I'm hoping we can come to a decision by maybe Valentine's Day? Does that sound reasonable?

Here are my notes.

RAGNAR talk
- Janyne - in
- Ann-Marie - maybe, pending on-call situation
- Chris - 99% yes
- Lisa - possibly interested
- TJ - in
- Melanie - solid maybe
- Mary Stone - interested non runner (cannot do nighttime runs)
- Jen S - interested
- David - seems interested ;-)
Cost: $155/person for early registration
Extras: $185/person for Glamping add-on (TJ points out that we would be kicking ourselves if we pass on this the weather is less than stellar)

2019-01-08 8:11 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IronOx

JoGo Manatee Challenge

I'll be in them all and I'll do my best to convert everything correctly to your crazy US measurements. You really should change to the metric system its much simpler

As long as the metric measurement is easily converted via the 10k measurement I am all in! 

2019-01-08 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

JoGo Manatee Challenge

The challenges look good. I especially like my chances in the weight loss category since I'm just getting started on my new "Manatee to 70.3" training program after a three year layoff. And what's this I hear about another Ragnar? #whoneedssleep?!?

We are looking at RAGNAR Florida Trail on December 6-7.  When we first talked about it, there were a lot of Definitely Maybes. I'm hoping we can come to a decision by maybe Valentine's Day? Does that sound reasonable?

Here are my notes.

RAGNAR talk
- Janyne - in
- Chris - 99% yes
- TJ - in
- Melanie - solid maybe
- Jen S - interested
Extras: $185/person for Glamping add-on (TJ points out that we would be kicking ourselves if we pass on this the weather is less than stellar)

I won't know about my on-call situation until close to the time, so I'm probably going to have to say i'm out with the possibility of being a fill in should anyone have to bail.

2019-01-08 8:28 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Yep, with the Clifton 4 I NOTICE the shoes and my feet with every step. My feet don't hurt, exactly, but the shoe is heavy and inflexible, and I feel like it forces me into this weird, heel-striking, clunky stride which isn't my natural stride at all. (I tend to run more on the balls of my feet.) Weird soreness that I don't get from running in any other shoes--hips, back, achilles... I had the Clifton 3's and really liked them for trail-running (awesome padding and treads) and even normal runs when my neuroma was acting up more. Would never race or do speed work in them (except maybe a technical trail race) but they served well for normal training runs and easy days. The only major issue I had with them is they got really heavy when wet--a big issue in Saigon; not just rain but sweat! I assumed the 4's would be an improvement--most models have gotten lighter and more durable over the years with improved materials, but not....Yuck! Big waste of $80 (at least I got them at a discount). I wonder if it is a size issue--not sure how heavy you are, but maybe at 115-120 pounds, I am not the target audience for these shoes. Maybe they are meant for heavier runners with more impact issues?

I've seen a lot of comments in slowtwitch about the clifton 4s. Most seem to hate them and< I think, they said something about hoka adding some weird rocker midsole -apparently different than what they ahd before.  I also read that the hoka Napoli is a rebranding of the clifton 3 with an updated upper.  So, if you like the 3's you may want to check out the napoli.

2019-01-08 8:33 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Yep, with the Clifton 4 I NOTICE the shoes and my feet with every step. My feet don't hurt, exactly, but the shoe is heavy and inflexible, and I feel like it forces me into this weird, heel-striking, clunky stride which isn't my natural stride at all. (I tend to run more on the balls of my feet.) Weird soreness that I don't get from running in any other shoes--hips, back, achilles...

I had the Clifton 3's and really liked them for trail-running (awesome padding and treads) and even normal runs when my neuroma was acting up more. Would never race or do speed work in them (except maybe a technical trail race) but they served well for normal training runs and easy days. The only major issue I had with them is they got really heavy when wet--a big issue in Saigon; not just rain but sweat!

I assumed the 4's would be an improvement--most models have gotten lighter and more durable over the years with improved materials, but not....Yuck! Big waste of $80 (at least I got them at a discount). I wonder if it is a size issue--not sure how heavy you are, but maybe at 115-120 pounds, I am not the target audience for these shoes. Maybe they are meant for heavier runners with more impact issues?

Yes! Exactly! With every step I'm thinking about my feet. I also run more on the balls of my feet, but the shoe seems to be built like a rocking horse and it seems to force me to land on the heel which feels very soft then "rock" up on the balls of my feet.

I also got mine at a steep discount so I thought why not give them a shot. I like the idea of a more cushioned shoe for long runs, but those weren't it for me at least.
2019-01-08 8:33 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

Speaking of running shoes, I'm always wanting to try new shoes.  My go to shoe is Brook's Ghost.  They have a pretty good amount of cushioning, but every so often my left foot would like more.  I've been seeing a lot of people giving a lot of love to various skecher shoes, especially those who like cushioning; so am wondering if any Manatee runs in skechers?  If so, how do you like them?  

2019-01-08 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by tdl1972  The challenges look good. I especially like my chances in the weight loss category since I'm just getting started on my new "Manatee to 70.3" training program after a three year layoff. And what's this I hear about another Ragnar? #whoneedssleep?!?

Here are my notes.

RAGNAR talk
(notes removed for the sake of brevity)

I won't know about my on-call situation until close to the time, so I'm probably going to have to say i'm out with the possibility of being a fill in should anyone have to bail.

Gotcha! I updated my notes.

2019-01-08 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Speaking of running shoes, I'm always wanting to try new shoes.  My go to shoe is Brook's Ghost.  They have a pretty good amount of cushioning, but every so often my left foot would like more.  I've been seeing a lot of people giving a lot of love to various skecher shoes, especially those who like cushioning; so am wondering if any Manatee runs in skechers?  If so, how do you like them?  

Ann-Marie, I think that we talked last summer about this but I was in Ghosts, switched to Brooks Glycerins for cushioning, loved them for a few models and then went back to Ghosts on your recommendation. Apparently the uppers on the newer Glycerins don't have that pesky stitching on the bunion area so they might be worth a look if you want to stay Brooks.

No Sketchers experience here.  They've had good buzz for the past few years -- since Meb wore them in NY.

2019-01-08 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Ann-Marie, I think that we talked last summer about this but I was in Ghosts, switched to Brooks Glycerins for cushioning, loved them for a few models and then went back to Ghosts on your recommendation. Apparently the uppers on the newer Glycerins don't have that pesky stitching on the bunion area so they might be worth a look if you want to stay Brooks.

No Sketchers experience here.  They've had good buzz for the past few years -- since Meb wore them in NY.

Well, that may explain things! 

I remember our discussion. I made the switch from glycerins to ghost b/c of the same reasons you ended up making the switch. Since that time i know of multiple other people who did the same thing.  I had not heard that Brooks may have fixed the glycerin issue. Intresting. 

2019-01-08 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

JoGo Manatee Challenge

I'm not sure if you've heard, but our government is currently shut down. Now we be a perfect time for a hostile takeover of the US measurement system!

2019-01-08 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

JoGo Manatee Challenge

Here are my notes.

RAGNAR talk
- Janyne - in
- Chris - 99% yes
- TJ - in
- Melanie - solid maybe
- Jen S - interested

I need to talk to Kimmie (Ragnar Ambassador friend of mine) about camp site availability at the campground and about a discount code (because why not?)

2019-01-08 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have never run in Sketchers, but they are my go-to's for comfortable work shoes (the slip-ons). I also have a pair of their flip-flops that I wear around the house. Nice arch support and padding, comfortable in hot weather. Their running shoes might be worth a try.

2019-01-08 9:35 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

JoGo Manatee Challenge

Here are my notes.

RAGNAR talk
- Janyne - in
- Chris - 99% yes
- TJ - in
- Melanie - solid maybe
- Jen S - interested

I cannot commit into Ragnar, but maybe I will be able to come and cheer you guys? It would be great

I really like the challenges. Can you tell me what distance traveled mean? Weekly mileage for running, for example, or actual travelling...?
2019-01-08 10:21 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by marysia83

JoGo Manatee Challenge

Here are my notes.

RAGNAR talk
- Janyne - in
- Chris - 99% yes
- TJ - in
- Melanie - solid maybe
- Jen S - interested

I cannot commit into Ragnar, but maybe I will be able to come and cheer you guys? It would be great I really like the challenges. Can you tell me what distance traveled mean? Weekly mileage for running, for example, or actual travelling...?

Weekly Mileage, whether cycling, swimming, running or combination thereof.

2019-01-08 10:26 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Makes perfect sense, thanks!
2019-01-08 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

JoGo Manatee Challenge

Must be a metric thing

2019-01-08 11:21 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Originally posted by awm007

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Yes! Exactly! With every step I'm thinking about my feet. I also run more on the balls of my feet, but the shoe seems to be built like a rocking horse and it seems to force me to land on the heel which feels very soft then "rock" up on the balls of my feet.

I also got mine at a steep discount so I thought why not give them a shot. I like the idea of a more cushioned shoe for long runs, but those weren't it for me at least.

The Clifton model is an early stage Meta rocker, meaning from what Hoka told me, is for those of us who strike heal first. I have to have an early stage rocker because of my foot surgery.

The late stage meta rocker is for those who run closer to the front or balls of their feet.

This is what a few Hoka reps have told me. I would email or do a chat with a rep to see what they say.

2019-01-08 11:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

A few RAGNAR questions:

Gators?

Boars?

Gaiters (feet, not neck)?

Typical Dec. 6, 7 temperatures in that part of FL?

Edited to specify gaiters for what body area

Edited by melbo55 2019-01-08 11:26 AM
2019-01-08 11:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by melbo55

A few RAGNAR questions:

Gators?

Boars?

Gators are yummy.  Okay, that may not be what you are looking for. They and not often seen on the trails. The first person usually scares them off and the rest of us are fine. Or the first person gets eaten and the gator is full. The rest of us are fine. Either way   Boars also scare easily and run away. Most wildlife in this area is skittish. I have a video in my youtube of me riding up on a pair of gators. As soon as the brakes squeak, they turn and slide into the water. I've told them to leave when I meet them on the trails and they leave pretty quickly. Most of us are too big for them to try to eat, so they leave. Quite honestly, the wildlife of that size is the least of your worries. Ann and I will be fighting mosquitos and such.

I have never worn gaiters so I am probably no help.

December is usually cold for Floridians like me. 50 - 60 ish, although I have seen 30-40 that time of year as well. It rained last year, which is out of the ordinary. I can give 99.99% guarantee that there will be no snow.

Edited by cdban66 2019-01-08 11:43 AM
2019-01-08 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Gators are yummy.  Okay, that may not be what you are looking for. They and not often seen on the trails. The first person usually scares them off and the rest of us are fine. Or the first person gets eaten and the gator is full. The rest of us are fine. Either way   

This is amazing! :D
2019-01-08 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

A few RAGNAR questions:

Gators?

Boars?

Gators are yummy.  Okay, that may not be what you are looking for. They and not often seen on the trails. The first person usually scares them off and the rest of us are fine. Or the first person gets eaten and the gator is full. The rest of us are fine. Either way   Boars also scare easily and run away. Most wildlife in this area is skittish. I have a video in my youtube of me riding up on a pair of gators. As soon as the brakes squeak, they turn and slide into the water. I've told them to leave when I meet them on the trails and they leave pretty quickly. Most of us are too big for them to try to eat, so they leave. Quite honestly, the wildlife of that size is the least of your worries. Ann and I will be fighting mosquitos and such.

I have never worn gaiters so I am probably no help.

December is usually cold for Floridians like me. 50 - 60 ish, although I have seen 30-40 that time of year as well. It rained last year, which is out of the ordinary. I can give 99.99% guarantee that there will be no snow.

My Ragnar experience in the park was limited to one leg, but I ran a HM there which pretty much covered the legs i missed and to my memory there is only one small water crossing (this was on the HM, so can't 100% say it is even on the ragnar trail) and it is not something i would worry about gators hanging around!  In fact, for the reasons stated above, I wouldn't worry about them. Plus, gators are not active in cold weather, so you'll be fine   

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107