BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-04-29 5:41 PM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
That sounds scary! I would continue being cautious as there is always the possibility of a false negative with those tests. But hopefully if she is responding well to meds, it would seem to point toward it probably being something other than Covid.

You might consider doing your own "event", alone or with a few vetted friends. Hopefully by sometime this summer, it would be possible to swim in a lake and go for a bike ride of whatever distance is your goal. Thinking of making up my own event--if all goes well, maybe an Ironman without the bike! (Just 'cause, I'm not really a bike fan anyway, I don't want to ride that far by myself, and it's too hard a sell for Mom to drive the sag wagon for 112 miles at my pace --6 hours plus. I can probably talk her into lifeguarding on the dock for an hour and change and dropping off water bottles a few times on the run route.

2020-04-30 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

I am sorry I have been AWOL from here for a while. April has been quite a chaotic time in our house. Besides the usual transitioning to working from home, we also had a COVID19 scare. Since the child care facility that my grandson attends was closed and both of his parents are not financially stable, they both had to work. My wife was able to work out an altered work schedule and was able to watch our grandson here at the house. It was working great until a few Sundays ago...

She calls me from work and says that she is experienced labored breathing. She said that she was getting off early and was going to go to a local urgent care facility that has COVID19 tests. She did the test, got the directions for being safe while waiting for the results. She comes home and we isolate her in our guest bedroom. It took about 48 hours to get the results of her test.... NEGATIVE! Earlier in the year, she had a few bouts with bronchitis. The medication she received starting really working after 3-4 days of use. She is back to feeling well, but it had me really scared there for a while. 

Yesterday I had my doctor's appt. I discovered that my blood pressure and blood sugar is too high, so we've constructed a plan to expedite the downturn for the numbers. She has also urged me to get on my bike more often. This month is not going well. As my Manatee friends know, I was hoping to do my first event this year, an aquabike race in Colorado. I've been checking the promoters FB page and their web site. No cancellation(yet), but I don't think I'll be comfortable to participate in an event this summer. I just don't feel comfortable being around that many people, and with pools closed, I won't be physically ready for this. 

So I am going to cancel my event goal and just concentrate on my health (physically and mentally). 

I hope that Janyne will let me still hang out with y'all! The Manatees are a great group of folks!

--Tom

Wow! Scary stuff! I hope that your wife has continued to improve and that you are able to get on your bike more.  For me, that helps both mentally and physically.

I think that most of us have had our 2020 event goals altered!  I just canceled my gym membership because I won't feel comfortable going there for a while.  I totally get why you don't want to commit to a race in July!

2020-04-30 8:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Will Triathlons Come Back This Year? What Will They Look Like?

https://www.triathlete.com/events/will-triathlons-come-back-this-year-what-will-they-look-like/

Any thoughts?

Edited to make link clickable

Edited by jmkizer 2020-04-30 10:11 AM
2020-04-30 9:50 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I am sorry I have been AWOL from here for a while. April has been quite a chaotic time in our house. Besides the usual transitioning to working from home, we also had a COVID19 scare. Since the child care facility that my grandson attends was closed and both of his parents are not financially stable, they both had to work. My wife was able to work out an altered work schedule and was able to watch our grandson here at the house. It was working great until a few Sundays ago...

She calls me from work and says that she is experienced labored breathing. She said that she was getting off early and was going to go to a local urgent care facility that has COVID19 tests. She did the test, got the directions for being safe while waiting for the results. She comes home and we isolate her in our guest bedroom. It took about 48 hours to get the results of her test.... NEGATIVE! Earlier in the year, she had a few bouts with bronchitis. The medication she received starting really working after 3-4 days of use. She is back to feeling well, but it had me really scared there for a while. 

Yesterday I had my doctor's appt. I discovered that my blood pressure and blood sugar is too high, so we've constructed a plan to expedite the downturn for the numbers. She has also urged me to get on my bike more often. This month is not going well. As my Manatee friends know, I was hoping to do my first event this year, an aquabike race in Colorado. I've been checking the promoters FB page and their web site. No cancellation(yet), but I don't think I'll be comfortable to participate in an event this summer. I just don't feel comfortable being around that many people, and with pools closed, I won't be physically ready for this. 

So I am going to cancel my event goal and just concentrate on my health (physically and mentally). 

I hope that Janyne will let me still hang out with y'all! The Manatees are a great group of folks!

--Tom

Sorry you've had a tough go of it, Tom, it does sound like a very trying month for you and your family.  Such good news, though, that your wife's test came back negative.  By all means, PLEASE keep hanging around the Manatees, they are a great support group.  For sure they've helped me through some rough times.

2020-04-30 9:52 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

https://www.triathlete.com/events/will-triathlons-come-back-this-year-what-will-they-look-like/

Any thoughts?

I can't imagine that we will see any races this year other than perhaps small local races. The mitigation steps discussed seem to require a much smaller field than IM would be able to do and still make money -unless they double the entry fees!  One of the things mentioned was a bigger opening chute - for some races that is not possible. Then if you stagger the start even more than the rolling waves we have now, the course will have to be open longer which could be hard to convince cities to allow. And then how do you stop people from being near each other during the race?  

2020-04-30 10:20 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Any thoughts?

I can't imagine that we will see any races this year other than perhaps small local races. The mitigation steps discussed seem to require a much smaller field than IM would be able to do and still make money -unless they double the entry fees!  One of the things mentioned was a bigger opening chute - for some races that is not possible. Then if you stagger the start even more than the rolling waves we have now, the course will have to be open longer which could be hard to convince cities to allow. And then how do you stop people from being near each other during the race?  

And frankly, I don't currently have the desire.  Participating in a triathlon under these conditions sounds stressful, not fun.

Ironman's mitigation points:

• education - lots of signs, explain about social distancing for both athletes and volunteers
  • density reduction - bigger chutes, staggered starts, virtual briefing
  • minimizing touchpoints - limit handing out of food, water, medals
  • athlete self-reliance - fewer or no aid stations
  • screening - surveys, temperature checks (honest question, is this even effective? I mean, aren't people contagious before they show symtoms and if they are asymptomatic? what's the point? oh, right, to give the illusion that you are safe)

Now, could a running event go on in say, reopening stage 3?  Maybe. I mean, a 10k or half marathon trail run with hydration pack?

2020-04-30 10:39 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Ironman Wisconsin DRAMAZZZZ

Announcement this morning that the 70.3 (scheduled for June) will now take place alongside the full in September. So many questions. If you want a glimpse into how athletes are feeling about this, check out the conversations on the Ironman Wisconsin 140.6/70.3 Training Secrets Facebook page. Oyyyyy.

2020-04-30 10:41 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

Announcement this morning that the 70.3 (scheduled for June) will now take place alongside the full in September. So many questions. If you want a glimpse into how athletes are feeling about this, check out the conversations on the Ironman Wisconsin 140.6/70.3 Training Secrets Facebook page. Oyyyyy.

So they increase social distancing by doubling the number of participants?

2020-04-30 11:21 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Thanks for the reply! 

Originally posted by Hot Runner That sounds scary! I would continue being cautious as there is always the possibility of a false negative with those tests. But hopefully if she is responding well to meds, it would seem to point toward it probably being something other than Covid.

It was a crazy few days. I spent it working in my home office, making sure she had everything she needed, and a lot of worrying. Luckily she started to show signs of getting better in a few days and now she is feeling great. I did worry about a false negative, but with her recent bouts of bronchitis, I suspect it was just another flare up. Respiratory issues are just plain scary right now.

Originally posted by Hot Runner You might consider doing your own "event", alone or with a few vetted friends. Hopefully by sometime this summer, it would be possible to swim in a lake and go for a bike ride of whatever distance is your goal. Thinking of making up my own event--if all goes well, maybe an Ironman without the bike! (Just 'cause, I'm not really a bike fan anyway, I don't want to ride that far by myself, and it's too hard a sell for Mom to drive the sag wagon for 112 miles at my pace --6 hours plus. I can probably talk her into lifeguarding on the dock for an hour and change and dropping off water bottles a few times on the run route.

I was kind of thinking of doing this, maybe after our pool opens up again. The lakes we have up here are smaller and quite cold for most all of the year, so I don't think an open water swim would be an option. In the meantime I am going to focus on my bikes. I do have a lot of improvement to get where I would like. I guess I should formulate a few quantifiable goals for the months ahead. 

2020-04-30 11:25 AM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Thanks for the reply!

Wow! Scary stuff! I hope that your wife has continued to improve and that you are able to get on your bike more.  For me, that helps both mentally and physically.

She is pretty much back to where she was before and already 'sharing' some home project ideas for the summer!

I think that most of us have had our 2020 event goals altered!  I just canceled my gym membership because I won't feel comfortable going there for a while.  I totally get why you don't want to commit to a race in July!

The rec center that I swim at has suspended payments until it opens again. I hear that our governor is going to allow gyms to open soon, but 1). I don't know about pools & 2). I don't know if I'm ready to go there with all of the people that are going to be heading back. I am just taking this day by day. 

2020-04-30 11:34 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Thanks for the reply!

Originally posted by melbo55

Sorry you've had a tough go of it, Tom, it does sound like a very trying month for you and your family.  Such good news, though, that your wife's test came back negative.  By all means, PLEASE keep hanging around the Manatees, they are a great support group.  For sure they've helped me through some rough times.

I really like the community that has been created here and that is why I want to stay here! Here's to May going a bit better! 

2020-04-30 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
This was exactly my point. I think if you look at some of the trail events, where people are mainly self-supported for fluids and nutrition, and get spaced out pretty quickly (or at least can quickly do that passing/being passed) or they get most of their drinks/food/medical help from a small crew of family or friends (who could be asked to socially distance at roadsides or in parking lots), they *might* be doable in a partially open situation. But a full-on, iron-distance triathlon--no. Even if IM allowed those events to go on, I'm not doing it, in the absence of pretty much complete die-down of virus activity and/or an effective vaccine. It's not just the event itself but travel. And in my case, no idea if I could cross the Canadian border, anyway.

IM would be taking a HUGE liability risk if they let those events go on. I would not bank on doing ANY tri events this year, except virtual ones, in this country, or (for Americans flying or driving in) abroad.
2020-04-30 11:40 AM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

If we want to do another Zoom session, I would definitely be interested in joining in! 

2020-04-30 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

They did this with IM Texas too. So IM on Saturday and HIM Sunday. How is that remotely a good thing?

2020-04-30 11:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Any thoughts?

Both he and USAT CEO Harris believe that athletes want to race, though, and think that if they can provide a safe enough option triathletes will be hungry and eager to get back out there.

“I think athletes badly want to race,” said Messick. “If we’re able to take the right steps, athletes are going to be the first people to come back.”

I think this is the scary part.  We all know that we (triathletes) are kinda dumb in the head and will go beyond what is safe or healthy for our bodies (how many of us have pushed through an illness or injury?). I like to hope that most are smarter when it comes to this virus, but what if not?  OF COURSE we want to race.  But will the majority of us be smart enough to recognize that it might not be safe to do so??

Edit: I.e. just because things open up and we CAN doesn't mean that we SHOULD

Edited by IronOx 2020-04-30 11:52 AM
2020-04-30 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

If we want to do another Zoom session, I would definitely be interested in joining in! 

Right now we are Zooming every Monday at 11:30am Eastern.  We can add another time when someone names one :-)

Monday Meetup: https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

I think that you remember the password.  I hope.

2020-04-30 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

They did this with IM Texas too. So IM on Saturday and HIM Sunday. How is that remotely a good thing?

I see what you did there!

2020-04-30 12:14 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IronOx

Any thoughts?

Both he and USAT CEO Harris believe that athletes want to race, though, and think that if they can provide a safe enough option triathletes will be hungry and eager to get back out there.

“I think athletes badly want to race,” said Messick. “If we’re able to take the right steps, athletes are going to be the first people to come back.”

I think this is the scary part.  We all know that we (triathletes) are kinda dumb in the head and will go beyond what is safe or healthy for our bodies (how many of us have pushed through an illness or injury?). I like to hope that most are smarter when it comes to this virus, but what if not?  OF COURSE we want to race.  But will the majority of us be smart enough to recognize that it might not be safe to do so??

Edit: I.e. just because things open up and we CAN doesn't mean that we SHOULD

I know that I don't want to answer that contract tracing question. 

Healthcare workder: Who were you with in the past xx days? 

Me: Oh, I did an Ironman event.

2020-04-30 12:26 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

It sounds like the Wisconsin races will both be on the same Sunday.

My biggest complaint right now is that they're not anticipating questions and preemptively answering them. This is communications 101. Figure out what people are going to ask, create/approve an answer and post everything up front so people aren't left to create their own answers and speculations. If you don't have the answers yet, say that and acknowledge it's information you're working on. Update the Q&As as things evolve. This is not rocket science, but as someone who does communications for a living this is like fingernails on a chalkboard. 

Personally I would have appreciated a communication as someone who is registered for the 140.6, just to answer my questions.

All that said, I don't think any of it's going to actually happen in September. 

2020-04-30 12:36 PM

[I know that I don't want to answer that contract tracing question. 

Healthcare workder: Who were you with in the past xx days? 

Me: Oh, I did an Ironman event.

That might be better than the conversation that went through my head. When Ann-Marie wrote above "And then how do you stop people from being near each other during the race?" I had this conversation run through my head:

"Joe was killed during an Ironman event this past weekend.

How did he die?

He tried to pass me, but in the name of social distancing he wandered too far into traffic and got hit by a car."

Sadly, I think this has actually happened at prior events even without social distancing measures.

2020-04-30 1:27 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

My biggest complaint right now is that they're not anticipating questions and preemptively answering them. This is communications 101. Figure out what people are going to ask, create/approve an answer and post everything up front so people aren't left to create their own answers and speculations. If you don't have the answers yet, say that and acknowledge it's information you're working on. Update the Q&As as things evolve. This is not rocket science, but as someone who does communications for a living this is like fingernails on a chalkboard. 

Personally I would have appreciated a communication as someone who is registered for the 140.6, just to answer my questions.

From a communications standpoint, this is a big FAIL.  First, they have Andrew Messick going out and talking the the New York Times and Triathlete Magazine discussing how triathlon can be safe this fall -- including smaller field and preemptively addressing concerns about their events being high risk.  Then they double the number of athletes at an event.

2020-04-30 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

From a communications standpoint, this is a big FAIL.  First, they have Andrew Messick going out and talking the the New York Times and Triathlete Magazine discussing how triathlon can be safe this fall -- including smaller field and preemptively addressing concerns about their events being high risk.  Then they double the number of athletes at an event.

Seriously, these are usually international events. In no way are most IM events usually local only. Seems super high-risk to me ... 

2020-04-30 2:34 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella My ear buds died. What does everyone use when running? It was a good Manatee meet-up today

I'm late to the party on this one.  I have AfterShokz but I use them mostly when working at the computer.  For treadmill running or using Discord on Zwift, I use Mpow Flame headphones. I liked them well enough that Kevin tried them and stole them. I bought another pair to keep.

Then, when my mom started chemo, I got her a pair along with an Audible subscription.  She liked them enough that she sent a pair to my brother who is currently deployed ($20, not sexy so not something someone would want to steal and it's not gonna make you cry if you have to replace it).

A decent size Endurance Nation contingent uses them because at $20 each, you can have one to use and one to charge.

2020-04-30 2:36 PM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Right now we are Zooming every Monday at 11:30am Eastern.  We can add another time when someone names one :-)

I didn't know the password but my first guess was correct. I will put it on my calendar. Thanks!

2020-04-30 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I didn't know the password but my first guess was correct. I will put it on my calendar. Thanks!

Yeah, the password is easy if you're one of us.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127