BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-03-04 1:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by melbo55

Help me please, oh wise manatees.  I've been trying to import a free training plan into my training log which I thought was possible.  Being able to modify it requires a paid plan, I know, but it won't let me just move the plan into my log.  Am I incorrect about being able to move a free plan?

Edited to add 'please'.  Forgive my temporary rudeness, I was taught better than that!

I haven't found a way to import a plan into a free account. It just seems to always bring me to the "Upgrade" page, which just frustrates me, since that is not really the definition of "Free".  Another reason I am beginning to get more frustrated with BT in general. If it weren't for this group, I would simply abandon BT and just use Strava or Training Peaks.

Of course, that is the only compelling reason I can find to keep using BT, the social aspect. I have met and "met" some really wonderful people that have opened my eyes in a number of ways. And for that I thank you all!!

ETA: This is not sour grapes on my part, just my observations and my outlook on it.

What else are you frustrated about on BT?

After the long post about the decline ... I am curious if people feel it is improving or if that conversation helped at all.

I don't think it helped much. I think all things in life have an ebb and flow, an evolution if you will. For me (and I can't stress this enough, it is ONLY my thoughts) there is only so much need that I have for the site. I try to assist those in the group as I can, with support, kindness, and such. But outside of the mentor groups, I see the same answers being given. Case in point is a bike question that someone had earlier this week. Rather than answer the question, the OP was told to get a fitting, get a new bike and then a disagreement between 2 folks that had no bearing on the original questions. nor were the parts of his question that directly stated where he was and what his objectives are. As I write this out it occurs to me that I need to go back and reply. Done.

To answer the actual question, and none of these are big deals at all in and of themselves:

1. I can't import a "Free" plan.
  2. The forums are a bit scattered.
  3. The Fl forum is non existent, or barely used.
  4. The helpfulness from others that I originally received here has become less obvious or necessary to me.
  5. Uploading from my watch is an issue, but I think I solved that one today.
  6. Also, I'm cranky with the ankle thing, so I'm probably being a bit of a whiner. 

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not to the point of leaving, or even close to it. But I can see the little frustrations here and there.

I'm also pretty frustrated.  Things do evolve and I don't think that the site change added anything but window dressing.  For example, people have been asking for FitBit type data to be in the logs since forever (while the redesign was being discussed).  Not there.  Little stuff that was broken or not well thought out or we were told "if this doesn't work, we'll change it."  None of that has been fixed.  I'm not about to leave but I am to the point that I can understand why others have left.

So your concerns seem to be pretty firmly on the technical side. 

I'm guessing they don't have the bandwidth to make it perfect. Is this something you know how to do? Maybe you could volunteer some time? I don't know how that all works. 

Gosh no!  Not a bandwidth issue at all.  Fix the stupid CSS already!  It's been broken since they "fixed" it in December.  Make the colors on the charts and in the "improved" training logs matchy as was requested last summer.  All those extra screens that we said that we didn't want, get rid of at least some of them.  Stuff that we mentioned that was problematic in the beta -- address it!

Edited by jmkizer 2014-03-04 1:17 PM

2014-03-04 1:24 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Help me please, oh wise manatees.  I've been trying to import a free training plan into my training log which I thought was possible.  Being able to modify it requires a paid plan, I know, but it won't let me just move the plan into my log.  Am I incorrect about being able to move a free plan?

Edited to add 'please'.  Forgive my temporary rudeness, I was taught better than that!

I haven't found a way to import a plan into a free account. It just seems to always bring me to the "Upgrade" page, which just frustrates me, since that is not really the definition of "Free".  Another reason I am beginning to get more frustrated with BT in general. If it weren't for this group, I would simply abandon BT and just use Strava or Training Peaks.

Of course, that is the only compelling reason I can find to keep using BT, the social aspect. I have met and "met" some really wonderful people that have opened my eyes in a number of ways. And for that I thank you all!!

ETA: This is not sour grapes on my part, just my observations and my outlook on it.

After the long post about the decline ... I am curious if people feel it is improving or if that conversation helped at all.

I don't think it helped much. I think all things in life have an ebb and flow, an evolution if you will. For me (and I can't stress this enough, it is ONLY my thoughts) there is only so much need that I have for the site. I try to assist those in the group as I can, with support, kindness, and such. But outside of the mentor groups, I see the same answers being given. Case in point is a bike question that someone had earlier this week. Rather than answer the question, the OP was told to get a fitting, get a new bike and then a disagreement between 2 folks that had no bearing on the original questions. nor were the parts of his question that directly stated where he was and what his objectives are. As I write this out it occurs to me that I need to go back and reply. Done.

To answer the actual question, and none of these are big deals at all in and of themselves:

4. The helpfulness from others that I originally received here has become less obvious or necessary to me.
  6. Also, I'm cranky with the ankle thing, so I'm probably being a bit of a whiner. 

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not to the point of leaving, or even close to it. But I can see the little frustrations here and there.

I'm also pretty frustrated.  Things do evolve and I don't think that the site change added anything but window dressing.  For example, people have been asking for FitBit type data to be in the logs since forever (while the redesign was being discussed).  Not there.  Little stuff that was broken or not well thought out or we were told "if this doesn't work, we'll change it."  None of that has been fixed.  I'm not about to leave but I am to the point that I can understand why others have left.

I'm guessing they don't have the bandwidth to make it perfect. Is this something you know how to do? Maybe you could volunteer some time? I don't know how that all works. 

Gosh no!  Not a bandwidth issue at all.  Fix the stupid CSS already!  It's been broken since they "fixed" it in December.  Make the colors on the charts and in the "improved" training logs matchy as was requested last summer.  All those extra screens that we said that we didn't want, get rid of at least some of them.  Stuff that we mentioned that was problematic in the beta -- address it!

No, I mean the BT bandwidth, the amount of time they have to work on this stuff. I am guessing they don't have the funds or capacity. 

2014-03-04 1:28 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

No, I mean the BT bandwidth, the amount of time they have to work on this stuff. I am guessing they don't have the funds or capacity. 

Oh that.  Yes.   I have the impression that they had contractors working on the redesign and they declared victory when the contract ended which is why the stuff that we pointed out in the beta was not address.  The beta was more, yup, you can log in.  Moving on now... 

2014-03-04 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Adrienne, I am always open to being called out. And your point has merit, we must be the change we want to see in the world. So, I'll keep gently, kindly answering. I did go back to the case I pointed out and answered while I was mulling over your question, so thanks.

I do agree with Janyne as well in that there were things we did during testing that pointed out some issues and they were not addressed. But I do understand as well how much is on Ron's plate and how this can all be overwhelming trying to please everyone all the time.

And you can add the reports to my list. I have been unable to find ones that I would find beneficial.  But, kinda like my whining, some of that is on me. I have to get a better handle on what I need, but I have been unable to find anything that might be helpful in the reports so far. Time for more research on this on my part.

2014-03-04 1:56 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Hiya Manatees!!  Want to help a fellow Manatee win a gift certificate for free cycling clothes?

I'm in Road Holland's Worst Cycling Kit contest as "Where are my sleeves".  I'd love to get some new cycling clothes, so please vote for me!!  Clearly, I have no pride, so any and all help for votes would be appreciated.

2014-03-04 1:57 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by bcraht

HOT CHOCOLATE!

Congratulations!!!

2014-03-04 2:03 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master

Originally posted by Artemis

Hiya Manatees!!  Want to help a fellow Manatee win a gift certificate for free cycling clothes?

I'm in Road Holland's Worst Cycling Kit contest as "Where are my sleeves".  I'd love to get some new cycling clothes, so please vote for me!!  Clearly, I have no pride, so any and all help for votes would be appreciated.

Done!

2014-03-04 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Done. Seems to me some of those weren't all that bad. Maybe I need to be worried about my riding clothes...

2014-03-04 2:11 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by rrrunner

Done. Seems to me some of those weren't all that bad. Maybe I need to be worried about my riding clothes...

Thanks everyone!  I don't think some are so bad.  Then again, we are used to Yanti pictures.  

2014-03-04 2:42 PM

User image

Seattle

Hmmmm, so Chris and Janyne, are you guys paying members?

I think there are certain features one should expect if you are paying. Other than that, I guess BT doesn't really owe us much. 

But I guess that brings me to the question that you guys were likely alluding to. How does BT fit into our lives and what, eh, void does it fill? And that's going to be pretty individual with lots of crossover.

First and foremost I use it as a training log. It's easy to go back and look and it tracks my monthly/yearly volume. I don't need much more than that. I don't upload from a device or anything (waaay out of my expertise heh) Second is the mentor forum, where I am able to ask questions. I only default to the mentor forum for this because I often get ignored in TT (and still do in the mentor forums occasionally     ) And there is the relationship part that Chris touched on and I think that's not only a nice bonus but also really helpful when it comes to answering eachothers questions and sharing our experiences. 

This stuff, to me, all seems to work moderately well. I think the biggest thing I feel is lacking is engagement. I think more people need to contribute in order for the site to be successful and I am not sure why that doesn't happen. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-03-04 2:46 PM
2014-03-04 2:56 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I think there are certain features one should expect if you are paying. Other than that, I guess BT doesn't really owe us much. 

But I guess that brings me to the question that you guys were likely alluding to. How does BT fit into our lives and what, eh, void does it fill? And that's going to be pretty individual with lots of crossover.

First and foremost I use it as a training log. It's easy to go back and look and it tracks my monthly/yearly volume. I don't need much more than that. I don't upload from a device or anything (waaay out of my expertise heh) Second is the mentor forum, where I am able to ask questions. I only default to the mentor forum for this because I often get ignored in TT (and still do in the mentor forums occasionally     ) And there is the relationship part that Chris touched on and I think that's not only a nice bonus but also really helpful when it comes to answering eachothers questions and sharing our experiences. 

This stuff, to me, all seems to work moderately well. I think the biggest thing I feel is lacking is engagement. I think more people need to contribute in order for the site to be successful and I am not sure why that doesn't happen. 

Before the update, it was a lot easier to connect to other members and see what was going on.  It's a PITA to get to someone's log now!!  And I still don't know if there is a BT Blogger.  Plus, I think that a lot of people have been turned off of using the site.  It's clunky and doesn't work right.  If I pay and can't import a plan and do the things that are advertised, I'm not going to keep using a website.  I'm certainly not going to renew.

It's a lot of little things that cause annoyance.  Entering a workout and updating my blog take too many steps now, so I do it less.  I pay and that means I'm not supposed to see ads (at least it used to).  Now they are all over.  I don't want to spend time on a site when it's clear that "improvements" didn't help anything, and I spent time beta testing for nothing.  

Edited by Artemis 2014-03-04 2:59 PM

2014-03-04 3:01 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Vote is in, although I really do dig those arm warmers.  I have an argyle pair that clash with just about any jersey I put on.  I'd post the pic but it's on my old phone.  Oh yeah, in other news, I finally joined 2014, got an iPhone 5s and dumped my ol' 2009 Crackberry.  R.I.P. she was a good phone.

2014-03-04 3:02 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm not, and as such, I have limited expectations. However, the flip side of that is that traffic = advertising $'s (although I'm sure that isn't a lot), so either way my presence has value from a dollar perspective. I kind of wonder about the engagement question.  I have to think on that (and my boss seems to think I should be working right now.) I'll get back to ya!

2014-03-04 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

When the "what's wrong with BT" thread went around, I saw that a lot of people said they only used the mentor forums, inspires (didn't even know what those really were) and logging - not TT.  At the time, I'd spent a lot of time in TT and not the mentor fora and didn't get it.  After being in this group and SBR Utopia for a bit, plus a couple others (shout out to all of ya'!), I now get what they were talking about.

I still try to go on TT and add when I have something to add (other than, "x37 on the above" or such).  Just don't do it quite as much as before.

I also find that I have a lot less time to surf BT and Strava than I used to.  It's still a compulsion, though, so I'm not dropping off any time soon (sorry to inform you!).  I do like that there are so many like minded (while still very different) athletes here and on Strava, so it feels like the community that is tough to find in person locally (logistics for meet ups are much tougher than a scan of BT/Strava!).

So, I'm not on as much, might well decrease a bit more over the next few months as work (hopefully) ramps back up, but I'll likely not leave either site.  

It has nothing to do with the adds or any of that stuff.  I like seeing what people I've come to e-know have to say, and that's worth it to me.  I'm probably NOT what Ron wants on the site exclusively, cuz I don't pay!    But, I do like the community (and I'm sure he wants/needs that).

OK, did I just have a point?  Not sure…  
Matt

2014-03-04 6:22 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Voted.  I loved High Waisted lol

Looks like you're in 3rd place!! :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I have a question.  Anyone ever done CROSSFIT?   I dd my first class last Thursday, it's Now TUESDAY and my hips are still burning and sore from squats! Bloody hell.   It was an extremely intense workout but I didn't quit, finished the whole thing even if I came last.  I'm just wondering if I'm in over my head here, when I explained to my husband what I did his jaw nearly hit the floor.   Granted I am VERY out of shape and overweight, the thought of going back is making me brown my underpants but I don't want to quit! I've signed up for 10 classes and I'm thinking that will be it, I probably will not sign up but stick to the lesser intense bootcamp at my gym. 

2014-03-04 6:38 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Done!

2014-03-04 6:47 PM
in reply to: Triathlynne

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by Triathlynne

Voted.  I loved High Waisted lol

Looks like you're in 3rd place!! :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I have a question.  Anyone ever done CROSSFIT?   I dd my first class last Thursday, it's Now TUESDAY and my hips are still burning and sore from squats! Bloody hell.   It was an extremely intense workout but I didn't quit, finished the whole thing even if I came last.  I'm just wondering if I'm in over my head here, when I explained to my husband what I did his jaw nearly hit the floor.   Granted I am VERY out of shape and overweight, the thought of going back is making me brown my underpants but I don't want to quit! I've signed up for 10 classes and I'm thinking that will be it, I probably will not sign up but stick to the lesser intense bootcamp at my gym. 

I have not done crossfit, but believe, as with any new exercise routine, you should take things slowly and build up. Doing too much too soon is a recipe for injury. Does cross fit have modified or scaled back versions of its routine for beginners?
2014-03-04 9:31 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Hey everyone--My MARATHON TRAINING STARTS THIS WEEK!!!! (tomorrow actually...) This should be fun (?

On another note, my shoulder was beginning to feel normal yesterday--with little to no pain no matter which way I moved my arm. ---AND THEN---Last night when I was moving my arm/turning over in bed, I heard and felt a 'pop'...and it hurts like CRAZY again! Lateral raising of the arm= no problem; front raising of the arm= MAJOR pain!!! Oddly enough, I feel pain if I press any point along my collar bone--I told Clint, that had I hit or smashed that area recently, I would think I had a broken collarbone, but I haven't. So I iced again tonight, and hopefully the pain will dissipate eventually.

In other news....I have a phone interview with Dallas Zoo on Monday.   in other words, this sh*t got real! I might actually acquire a new zoo job! I might have to move to a new state! I might work with Komodos and Tuataras and Hellbenders, and dang-near every type of Cobra known to man!!! WOW. Am slightly amped up right now.

2014-03-04 11:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Precisely my thoughts!!!  Oh, and the little back and forth with you and Ann-Marie (bless your heart!) made me snerk out loud at my desk!! 

Oh Janyne I need a t-shirt like that.

I just want to thank the Manatees for introducing this phrase to my vocabulary it has been used a number of times in the last week. I have shared it with a friend that I work with and it is proving very useful. It made our boss who is from America laugh greatly - luckily i wasn't referring to him when I said it.
2014-03-04 11:51 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by rrrunner

Done and I think that I am in trouble too!
2014-03-04 11:52 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by kgore

Hey everyone--My MARATHON TRAINING STARTS THIS WEEK!!!! (tomorrow actually...) This should be fun (?

On another note, my shoulder was beginning to feel normal yesterday--with little to no pain no matter which way I moved my arm. ---AND THEN---Last night when I was moving my arm/turning over in bed, I heard and felt a 'pop'...and it hurts like CRAZY again! Lateral raising of the arm= no problem; front raising of the arm= MAJOR pain!!! Oddly enough, I feel pain if I press any point along my collar bone--I told Clint, that had I hit or smashed that area recently, I would think I had a broken collarbone, but I haven't. So I iced again tonight, and hopefully the pain will dissipate eventually.

In other news....I have a phone interview with Dallas Zoo on Monday.   in other words, this sh*t got real! I might actually acquire a new zoo job! I might have to move to a new state! I might work with Komodos and Tuataras and Hellbenders, and dang-near every type of Cobra known to man!!! WOW. Am slightly amped up right now.

Yay Kate good luck with the job interview. You will rock it, you had better start planning to move

2014-03-05 12:01 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

When the "what's wrong with BT" thread went around, I saw that a lot of people said they only used the mentor forums, inspires (didn't even know what those really were) and logging - not TT.  At the time, I'd spent a lot of time in TT and not the mentor fora and didn't get it.  After being in this group and SBR Utopia for a bit, plus a couple others (shout out to all of ya'!), I now get what they were talking about.

I still try to go on TT and add when I have something to add (other than, "x37 on the above" or such).  Just don't do it quite as much as before.

I also find that I have a lot less time to surf BT and Strava than I used to.  It's still a compulsion, though, so I'm not dropping off any time soon (sorry to inform you!).  I do like that there are so many like minded (while still very different) athletes here and on Strava, so it feels like the community that is tough to find in person locally (logistics for meet ups are much tougher than a scan of BT/Strava!).

So, I'm not on as much, might well decrease a bit more over the next few months as work (hopefully) ramps back up, but I'll likely not leave either site.  

It has nothing to do with the adds or any of that stuff.  I like seeing what people I've come to e-know have to say, and that's worth it to me.  I'm probably NOT what Ron wants on the site exclusively, cuz I don't pay!    But, I do like the community (and I'm sure he wants/needs that).

Matt

I mainly use the training log and this Mentoring group. I used to surf around in TT a bit, but never really felt that I had much to contribute and my husband commented a few months back about throwing my ipad away so I generally dont log in when he is home. Also at present logging my training (the little I do) and keeping up with you guys is all I can manage to fit in. Even doing just that I am late for work nearly every day, but I have almost a compulsion to check in on the Manatees at Breakfast each morning even though I know it will make me late
2014-03-05 5:28 AM
in reply to: Triathlynne

User image

Expert
Noosa

Originally posted by Triathlynne

I'm doing 5 x 5 at the moment, its got squats 3 times per week and I'm already borderline injured, my right hip starting popping/crunching when I got to 50kg and I've just dropped back to 45kg. I think i'll drop back to bodyweight squats for the next 10 days to allow it to settle.

I think you have to give the body a chance to adapt, its so easy to get injured!

2014-03-05 6:25 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Matt

I mainly use the training log and this Mentoring group. I used to surf around in TT a bit, but never really felt that I had much to contribute and my husband commented a few months back about throwing my ipad away so I generally dont log in when he is home. Also at present logging my training (the little I do) and keeping up with you guys is all I can manage to fit in. Even doing just that I am late for work nearly every day, but I have almost a compulsion to check in on the Manatees at Breakfast each morning even though I know it will make me late

I think most of us go through the same cycle. Join BT, learn a little from the TT forum. Get to know who is who, join a mentor group and drift way from TT.
I have consciously tried to add to the TT forum without being too snarky, but there are times it is challenging.

While I am a real nerd, techy, tri-geek, I really enjoy this group. I have learned a lot. Bless my heart!

It will be unfortunate if the TT regresses. I am hopeful people will prevent that from happening. A few features could go a long way in making the forum that much better.

BTW, other forums have seen some decline as well. I think FB has diluted the value of the forums, yet is not able to provide all the value the forums can.

2014-03-05 7:37 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I agree, there are many reasons for a "decline", among them FB, other tri sites, other social media, and another is the popularity of other aspects of this forum in general. I did a little research into other mentor forums last night and the few I checked were quite robust. So, while it may seem like the engagement in the TT forum has declined, I would bet that traffic is still high on the site in general. And people are getting something out of the entire site and giving back to the site as well. But there are a few items that could be addressed, but isn't that true of everything in life?

You will never improve if you stop being curious and don't try new things. Isn't that the very tenent of training? Improvement takes work, and work isn't always fun.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25668 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38305 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18131 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.