BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-05-07 1:26 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

I took a look at the USAT Safe Return to Multisport stuff.

The info for athletes is more or less a powerpoint.  The meat is in the recommendations to race directors (PDF).

• More signs
  • More portable toilets
  • More hand washing stations (includes hand sanitizer, wipes, etc.)
  • More trash cans
  • Even more hand washing stations
  • Set up event for physical distancing
  • Discourage spectators
  • Staggered packet pickup with no giveaways
  • Virtual race briefing
  • Race morning temperature check
  • Health questionnaire
  • Space bikes at least 3-4 feet apart with more racks and fewer people per rack
  • Sanitize bike racks before and after event
  • Time trial start if possible
  • Bike: encourage athletes to wear face coverings if possible
  • Run: encourage athletes to wear face coverings if possible
  • Run: recommended to avoid running directly behind another athlete at a distance less than 13 feet (or at a 45 degree angle)
  • fewer aid stations
  • self serve aid stations
  • self body marking
  • Recommend virtual medal ceremony or consider virtual medals that are sent to athletes electronically
  • If possible, disposable chips should be considered

i just finished reading this too. I’m afraid that until there is a vaccine or much better treatment I won’t be racing . Hopefully, by this time next year  ( sooner would be fine too ) those things will be a reality !

2020-05-07 1:38 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

The info for athletes is more or less a powerpoint.  The meat is in the recommendations to race directors (PDF).

• More signs
  • More portable toilets
  • More trash cans
  • Discourage spectators
  • Virtual race briefing
  • Health questionnaire
  • Run: recommended to avoid running directly behind another athlete at a distance less than 13 feet (or at a 45 degree angle)
  • fewer aid stations
  • self body marking
  • Recommend virtual medal ceremony or consider virtual medals that are sent to athletes electronically

i just finished reading this too. I’m afraid that until there is a vaccine or much better treatment I won’t be racing . Hopefully, by this time next year  ( sooner would be fine too ) those things will be a reality !

It gets even better when you read the officiating one. The way I read it, they were kind encouraging self-officiating and thing like "more athlete self-reliance may be needed, ethics of participation, respect for each other." 

In it's current form, I'd rather do a choose-my-own-adventure with a few friends than do this sort of event.

Speaking of choose-my-own-adventure, an Endurance Nation teammate just did Covid19Man in his garage.  He was signed up for IM St. George and decided to do the event on us Vasa swim erg, bike trainer and treadmill.  He had a medal made

And someone arranged for Mike Reilly to call him!

I think that he self officiated!

2020-05-07 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Ok, I want a COVID related medal, that is hilarious! It is time for me to get out some wood chunks and a dremel.

I am beginning to wonder if we'll be able to put on our little race in January. 350 people between participants and volunteers. I'll be happy if it happens.

2020-05-07 2:27 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Ok, I want a COVID related medal, that is hilarious! It is time for me to get out some wood chunks and a dremel.

I am beginning to wonder if we'll be able to put on our little race in January. 350 people between participants and volunteers. I'll be happy if it happens.

I hope that you can put this on bc that will mean things are looking up! So fingers crossed!!

2020-05-07 2:29 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

• More signs
  • More portable toilets
  • More trash cans
  • Discourage spectators
  • Virtual race briefing
  • Health questionnaire
  • fewer aid stations
  • self body marking

It gets even better when you read the officiating one. The way I read it, they were kind encouraging self-officiating and thing like "more athlete self-reliance may be needed, ethics of participation, respect for each other." 

In it's current form, I'd rather do a choose-my-own-adventure with a few friends than do this sort of event.

Speaking of choose-my-own-adventure, an Endurance Nation teammate just did Covid19Man in his garage.  He was signed up for IM St. George and decided to do the event on us Vasa swim erg, bike trainer and treadmill.  He had a medal made

Wow, that takes some mental toughness!! Great medal too. I'm trying to think what it reminds me of (besides covid!)

2020-05-07 3:48 PM

User image

Expert

That would be perfect for my oldest daughter. When she was young she would tell on herself and then self punish.She put herself in timeout more than we ever did.

2020-05-07 4:42 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

• More signs
  • More portable toilets
  • More trash cans
  • Discourage spectators
  • Virtual race briefing
  • Health questionnaire
  • fewer aid stations
  • self body marking

Wow, that takes some mental toughness!! Great medal too. I'm trying to think what it reminds me of (besides covid!)

The medal is the best! Somehow when I look at it, I am reminded of Eric Cartman from South Park (probably the round face?).
I read about the new guidelines for race directors earlier today and agree that a Choose-my-own adventure has much more appeal.
2020-05-08 11:06 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Space bikes at least 3-4 feet apart with more racks and fewer people per rack

I have zero faith that races will be able to be held with all of those restrictions (runners 13 feet apart?!), but how awesome would this be?! Just in general. To not have your bike right on top of the next one in transition!

2020-05-08 1:09 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by lisac957

.... but how awesome would this be?! Just in general. To not have your bike right on top of the next one in transition!

Ya...some of those big races your luck to have enough space under your bike to place a hand towel to put you running shoes and race bib on. More room would be nice at those races.

2020-05-09 7:54 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by abake

• More signs
  • More portable toilets
  • More trash cans
  • Discourage spectators
  • Virtual race briefing
  • Health questionnaire
  • fewer aid stations
  • self body marking

The medal is the best! Somehow when I look at it, I am reminded of Eric Cartman from South Park (probably the round face?).I read about the new guidelines for race directors earlier today and agree that a Choose-my-own adventure has much more appeal.
Thanks, now I can't unsee that image. That level of perseverance amazes me.
2020-05-09 7:56 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

.... but how awesome would this be?! Just in general. To not have your bike right on top of the next one in transition!

Ya...some of those big races your luck to have enough space under your bike to place a hand towel to put you running shoes and race bib on. More room would be nice at those races.

this is the only thing that caught my eye. The rest seems like fantacy. Well, the extra porta potties are nice, too.

2020-05-09 8:02 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member
POL post. There is just nothing to post. No real training is going on. I can't connect for the Zoom calls since I have a weekly doc appt at those times. We are figuring out how to open our business safely. Hopefully it will work. We are still staying at home and social distancing and will be for a while, but some trails and parks are opening so that will help with being able to get out a bit. Happy Mothes Day to the Moms of all kinds.
2020-05-09 11:19 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Expert
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

There is nothing like the joy of coming out of the swim to find your bike moved over and your stuff trampled on. It would be nice to have that as a "from now on" and not a for now rule.
2020-05-09 11:31 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Might also help with my pet transition peeve--people who use spray-on sunscreen in tight quarters. It's a potent asthma trigger for some people, including me! More than once I've run out of T1 gasping and wheezing after catching it in the face while taking off/putting on shoes.
2020-05-09 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh POL post. There is just nothing to post. No real training is going on. I can't connect for the Zoom calls since I have a weekly doc appt at those times. We are figuring out how to open our business safely. Hopefully it will work. We are still staying at home and social distancing and will be for a while, but some trails and parks are opening so that will help with being able to get out a bit. Happy Mothes Day to the Moms of all kinds.

Thanks for checking in! I still hope that we can meet up soonish.

2020-05-09 2:11 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Swam today! Was a struggle (first swim since the end of Feb), but I swam!!

There's 1 state park across the border in GA that is open at the lake. 45 min drive, 52 degree air temp, but the sun was shining, the water wasn't too bad once it got in your wetsuit, and it beat dryland swim training.

Had a lovely run after, too.

210 of the 215 students I've been teaching online for 7 weeks are DONE with ELA for the year. 4 of the other 5 will be done as soon as they turn in some work. Yay!

2020-05-09 5:24 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yikes! I saw on the news about people crossing into Georgia to do things, but never occurred to me that triathletes might do it to swim LOL. That is probably a lot less risky than haircuts, tattoos, and such!

I was tempted to check out a nearby lake yesterday (well, kind of nearby, 20-mile drive but we were out near there for biking) but imagine the water is still freezing. It was about 85 yesterday but that was one of the first days all year that temps have topped 70; not even 60's most days in April. I need water/air to be a bit warmer. Usually I consider OWS season to start in late June but might be moving that up to early June this year, since there don't seem to be any other choices for swimming! I *think* we can swim in lakes if they're not in state parks (which are closed) but it's kind of been inconsistent here with county and local-level venues--some open and some closed. Surely there wouldn't be that many takers for water in high50's/low 60's and "social distancing" should be possible!

Congrats on being almost done with students--our kiddos and teachers will soldier on for another 5 weeks here.
2020-05-09 8:16 PM
in reply to: #5270034

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Well, I live right on the SC/GA border and work in GA, so it wasn't really rare for me to cross into GA.

I can't imagine 5 more weeks of school. However, when I go back the last week of July for pre-planning, you'll get the last laugh!
2020-05-09 10:13 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
When I was growing up I lived about 3 or 4 miles from the state line, so it was pretty normal to run to Indiana and back!

As for our school year, kids start early September, after Labor Day, teachers end of August. University starts late September. Oregon has always been like this. I think it has to do with our summer weather. June is always iffy; we joke that "Summer begins on July 5." September is almost always beautiful, sunny, and warm. (Last year, not so much, though. Everything seemed to come early--fall, winter, and spring. Not sure what's up with that!

The rain here really drives some people batty but I kind of like it. Peaceful, keeps everything lush and green, and no need to shovel it. Spring lasts forever (February thru June.) Summer, once it finally starts, is almost always dry and sunny. I like the lack of extreme weather--aside from the occasional brief ice storm or windstorm, it seems much rarer than almost anywhere in the country.
2020-05-11 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Monday!

Manatee Meetup at 11:30 eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific, etc.)

https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password manatee (all lowercase)

2020-05-11 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Happy Monday!

Manatee Meetup at 11:30 eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific, etc.)

https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password manatee (all lowercase)

have fun.

2020-05-11 9:31 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Happy Monday! I saw this pic and immediately thought about our group
See you in an hour!

(marathons.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
marathons.jpg (89KB - 2 downloads)
2020-05-11 12:11 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by marysia83 Happy Monday! I saw this pic and immediately thought about our group See you in an hour!

My sister did her first Marathon with me and my two brother's last October.  She said since the Corvid Shut Down 8 weeks ago that she has been doing long runs (i.e. 20-23 miles) because that is what she has been enjoying the most.  She is planning on doing a solo marathon later this month.  So, the question is "Do people that think that people who run marathon might not know they don't have to, know that during a shutdown when there is nothing else to do that getting out in the fresh air for 4-5 hours for some light exercise might be really refreshing?" :-

2020-05-11 12:15 PM

It was good to see a few of you for a very brief moment this morning. Haha. I logged in to the chat but my computer was glitching up, and had no audio or video on my end. I could see you, but could not hear you, and you obviously could not see or hear me. Next week I think I'll try on my phone.
2020-05-11 12:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri It was good to see a few of you for a very brief moment this morning. Haha. I logged in to the chat but my computer was glitching up, and had no audio or video on my end. I could see you, but could not hear you, and you obviously could not see or hear me. Next week I think I'll try on my phone.

ACK! Sorry to hear about the technical difficulties!

Just to follow up with the Choose Your Own Adventure Talk that I mentioned towards the end of the call -- put your thinking caps on. If races still aren't a thing this fall/next spring but we feel comfortable with a gathering of 10-25 people (as opposed to 2000+ for an Ironman branded event), let's do a bike and beer and trail trail running meetup.  Of course, I proposed Western North Carolina ;-)  If 10-25 sounds like too many, we can always do mini-meets with two week pauses between.

P.S. I am working. I've been on hold for-ev-er!!!

Edited by jmkizer 2020-05-11 12:21 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127