BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-05-14 7:08 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by marysia83Decision making process....I am moving to Denver next month. My partner helps me with the move, plus - will spend some time with us once we arrive. We all drive there, I stay, he needs to come back to Chicago. We definitely want to do some bike riding, and trying to organize logistcs. Our options are:1. Drive two cars. This will solve the bike hassle. The only challenge is it will take both of us about 18-20 hours to drive there, and we will be super tired. If we only drive one car, we will both drive, make it in 14 hours, and get a chance to have some rest between rides (we've been driving to Denver this way already).2. Drive one car, he would fly back with a bike. The cost he would spend on gas goes towards his flight, box and flying cost of the bike.3. Drive one car, he would fly back, and ship the bike to Chicago. The cost he would spend on gas goes towards his flight and bike shipping (that seems to be cheaper than bike flying).4. Drive one car, rent a bike there, he flies back. The only challenge is we won't know if the rentals will be open (some of them are), and how many days we would ride. If it turns out many days, then it will be higher cost for each day.I never flew with the bike nor shipped. Do you have any suggestions, or tips based on your experience?
I have flown twice to NYC. I have a hard sided case with rollers. The airline I used charge 50 bucks and 100 bucks the second time. I had zero problems both times (knocking on wood for future flights with my bike).

2020-05-14 7:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No contest. At this time, until there are few virus cases anywhere, or there is a vaccine, I would drive, not fly. Bike or no bike. I know others (i.e. your partner) may have other opinions, but you will not get me on a plane anytime soon. From what I've heard, airlines aren't really honoring their promises to keep empty seats and lower numbers on planes, and many flights have been cancelled, so the remaining flights are sometimes packed. And I think they will have a hard time enforcing masks and other rules in the prevailing climate. Is it possible to drive one car down (put on a hitch for one or both bikes), have him rent a car to drive back?

That being said, I have flown with my bike many times, and it's been fine. Sometimes packed into a cardboard box; others with a bike case, I've never had a problem. The box in particular is really safe and cheap for limited flying. In this case, though, my concern would be the people, not the bike(s).

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-05-14 7:55 PM
2020-05-14 8:18 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Another option--I think you can ship bikes through FedEx in most metro areas. I know that was one option when I was planning on going to a training camp in California in 2019 (before I broke my elbow). Several other people in the tri club were doing that. Not sure about where you live, but our local FedEx is open and shipping all normal items. I checked out prices for Boise to Palm Springs and back and it was competitive with what most airlines would charge for a bike fee. The bike stays at the FedEx office, or in some cases at a cooperating bike shop (which can handle assembly/disassembly if you want), until you can pick it up.
2020-05-14 8:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by marysia83

Decision making process....

I am moving to Denver next month. My partner helps me with the move, plus - will spend some time with us once we arrive. We all drive there, I stay, he needs to come back to Chicago. We definitely want to do some bike riding, and trying to organize logistcs. Our options are:
1. Drive two cars. This will solve the bike hassle. The only challenge is it will take both of us about 18-20 hours to drive there, and we will be super tired. If we only drive one car, we will both drive, make it in 14 hours, and get a chance to have some rest between rides (we've been driving to Denver this way already).
2. Drive one car, he would fly back with a bike. The cost he would spend on gas goes towards his flight, box and flying cost of the bike.
3. Drive one car, he would fly back, and ship the bike to Chicago. The cost he would spend on gas goes towards his flight and bike shipping (that seems to be cheaper than bike flying).
4. Drive one car, rent a bike there, he flies back. The only challenge is we won't know if the rentals will be open (some of them are), and how many days we would ride. If it turns out many days, then it will be higher cost for each day.

I never flew with the bike nor shipped. Do you have any suggestions, or tips based on your experience?

I flew my bike to IMFL last November. The biggest problem was me! I was late and missed my flight. Who knew everyone left the same day, so I played standby roulette as my wife and bike flew to our connecting flight in Atlanta.
I did buy a case, bubble wrapped everything and it arrived in good condition.
It was easy enough to reassemble the bike, but since I don't trust myself, I paid to have the bike mechanic at the event to tune it up and make sure it wouldn't fall apart.
I kept the weight under the maximum weight for a checked bag. I also flew out of a small airport, so I wasn't charged a bike fee or over sized luggage fee, or however they normally ding you to fly.
That's a tough drive solo. Nebraska NEVER ends. You do see a lot of corn fields. You will be exhausted with each of you in separate vehicles and not sharing the yeoman's work of driving.
I think it's a good call to drive together, and have him fly back to Chicago with his bike and a carry on.
I've never rented a bike, so I can't comment on that.
Of course COVID-19 and airports are another concern that may cause you to scrap the idea of flying.

Edited by JBacarella 2020-05-14 8:24 PM
2020-05-15 6:49 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 Decision making process.... I am moving to Denver next month. My partner helps me with the move, plus - will spend some time with us once we arrive. We all drive there, I stay, he needs to come back to Chicago. We definitely want to do some bike riding, and trying to organize logistcs. Our options are: 1. Drive two cars. This will solve the bike hassle. The only challenge is it will take both of us about 18-20 hours to drive there, and we will be super tired. If we only drive one car, we will both drive, make it in 14 hours, and get a chance to have some rest between rides (we've been driving to Denver this way already). 2. Drive one car, he would fly back with a bike. The cost he would spend on gas goes towards his flight, box and flying cost of the bike. 3. Drive one car, he would fly back, and ship the bike to Chicago. The cost he would spend on gas goes towards his flight and bike shipping (that seems to be cheaper than bike flying). 4. Drive one car, rent a bike there, he flies back. The only challenge is we won't know if the rentals will be open (some of them are), and how many days we would ride. If it turns out many days, then it will be higher cost for each day. I never flew with the bike nor shipped. Do you have any suggestions, or tips based on your experience?

I'd drive. Flying with your bike or having your bike shipped is no fun at all. I've actually found it to be super stressful. Plus I don't see myself getting on a plane anytime soon. To me, it's not worth the risk.  Then again, in the best of times, I am not a good flier.

2020-05-15 6:51 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I don't think North Carolina will be doable for us West Coast types in the near future! My hopes/plans for the summer don't extend beyond maybe being able to go to the beach for a run/walk and take-out picnic brunch. And that may be overly optimistic.

Sorry! We will have to plan a PNW or Colorado meetup when this is all over.  I am 100% sure that I can sell those to Kevin ;-)

2020-05-15 6:52 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs @Robin Ordered it. Should have it in about 10 days, but here's a link: https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journeyman/2019_journeyman_apex_1_700_... It was SO hard not to blow the budget.

Jealous!

Seriously, I'm looking forward to seeing it and to following your gravel adventures on Strava.

2020-05-15 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

No contest. At this time, until there are few virus cases anywhere, or there is a vaccine, I would drive, not fly. Bike or no bike. I know others (i.e. your partner) may have other opinions, but you will not get me on a plane anytime soon. From what I've heard, airlines aren't really honoring their promises to keep empty seats and lower numbers on planes, and many flights have been cancelled, so the remaining flights are sometimes packed. And I think they will have a hard time enforcing masks and other rules in the prevailing climate. Is it possible to drive one car down (put on a hitch for one or both bikes), have him rent a car to drive back?

This!!! My husband flew Allegiant this week to check on our Florida condo rental (which can't be rented out right now due to Covid). Driving long distances right now is problematic since he had knee replacement in March. He had an exit seat reserved and it appeared that he would have this row all to himself. The flight was delayed for whatever reason and when he boarded, not only was the airline not honoring the reserved seat, but the plane was full.
2020-05-15 9:49 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Is it possible to drive one car down (put on a hitch for one or both bikes), have him rent a car to drive back? 

This would be my suggestion or choice if I were in that situation. Or have him fly back if he's comfortable and can do a quarantine immediately after (not sure if that's possible). 

I've flown with my bike once and likely won't ever again. Stressful for me, even in the best of times. If you're not 'handy' with bike mechanics that's an added layer of stress as you have to take things apart to pack up and put parts back on when you un-box. Now that I live in a city that has a Tri Bike Transport pickup, I'm paying for their services when flying to a race destination (wishful thinking for September). 

2020-05-15 10:59 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by Hot RunnerNo contest. At this time, until there are few virus cases anywhere, or there is a vaccine, I would drive, not fly. Bike or no bike. I know others (i.e. your partner) may have other opinions, but you will not get me on a plane anytime soon. From what I've heard, airlines aren't really honoring their promises to keep empty seats and lower numbers on planes, and many flights have been cancelled, so the remaining flights are sometimes packed. And I think they will have a hard time enforcing masks and other rules in the prevailing climate. Is it possible to drive one car down (put on a hitch for one or both bikes), have him rent a car to drive back?
This!!! My husband flew Allegiant this week to check on our Florida condo rental (which can't be rented out right now due to Covid). Driving long distances right now is problematic since he had knee replacement in March. He had an exit seat reserved and it appeared that he would have this row all to himself. The flight was delayed for whatever reason and when he boarded, not only was the airline not honoring the reserved seat, but the plane was full.
that is distressing!!! How awful.. i second (or third ir fourth) not flying now.
2020-05-15 3:57 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Proof Of Life. Great news from my cardiologist as of Wednesday's catheterization. There were no significant blockages, nothing over 30%, and no build up in the one pre-existing stent. He says that I am free to return to strenuous exercise. My primary care physician is prescribing prevacid as an attempt to determine whether I have been subject to gerd or perhaps an ulcer. I'm pretty happy with that.

I would love to do a manatee gather sometime next year. Just for group consideration, the geographic center of the contiguous United States is in the middle of Kansas. Perhaps we should look at something in that general area? Hopefully, we're talking about something in the Sprint / Olympic area, as opposed to the IM's that all you crazy people do

2020-05-15 4:08 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by Hot RunnerNo contest. At this time, until there are few virus cases anywhere, or there is a vaccine, I would drive, not fly. Bike or no bike. I know others (i.e. your partner) may have other opinions, but you will not get me on a plane anytime soon. From what I've heard, airlines aren't really honoring their promises to keep empty seats and lower numbers on planes, and many flights have been cancelled, so the remaining flights are sometimes packed. And I think they will have a hard time enforcing masks and other rules in the prevailing climate. Is it possible to drive one car down (put on a hitch for one or both bikes), have him rent a car to drive back?
that is distressing!!! How awful.. i second (or third ir fourth) not flying now.

I hate flying at the best of times.  No way am I getting on a flying petri dish right now, or in the near future.  

I have flown my bike twice with a Scicon Aero bag.  No disassembly required, but it is soft sided.  I am anxious the entire time; I know someone whose bike was destroyed by an airline in this bag.  To be fair, I don't think it was just rough handling, the bike looked like it had been run over somehow.  But that wouldn't happen with a hard case.

2020-05-15 4:11 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Finally got the email today...IMC not happening in 2020. They also now cancelled Victoria 70.3, originally rescheduled from May to Aug, now won't happen in 2020.  Interestingly, Calgary 70.3 rescheduled to September.....

2020-05-15 4:34 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IronOx

Finally got the email today...IMC not happening in 2020. They also now cancelled Victoria 70.3, originally rescheduled from May to Aug, now won't happen in 2020.  Interestingly, Calgary 70.3 rescheduled to September.....

sorry about IMC! It is interesting about Calgary. I bet they are just being hopeful ! 

I am really interested to see if any of the spring reset to late summer - fall races go. 

2020-05-15 4:36 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

This Sunday was supposed to be Choo 70.3. My calendar keeps reminding me I am supposed to be there. I think it’s taunting me!

2020-05-15 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

sorry about IMC! It is interesting about Calgary. I bet they are just being hopeful ! 

I am really interested to see if any of the spring reset to late summer - fall races go. 

I'm sorry to hear about IMC. Clarity is good and all that but it's hard to see the races go by the wayside.

Choo-ers, I think that we made the right call picking the option as far in the future as possible.

2020-05-15 4:38 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

This Sunday was supposed to be Choo 70.3. My calendar keeps reminding me I am supposed to be there. I think it’s taunting me!

I'm wearing the names shirt from last year. It's hard to imaging 2500 people line up together anytime soon

2020-05-15 4:43 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

I'm wearing the names shirt from last year. It's hard to imaging 2500 people line up together anytime soon

i am too! Totally by accident - it was the first shirt my hand touched, but that’s pretty funny.

2020-05-15 4:49 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

I'm sorry to hear about IMC. Clarity is good and all that but it's hard to see the races go by the wayside.

Choo-ers, I think that we made the right call picking the option as far in the future as possible.

I have one more race on the schedule...a swim/run in September.  I am not sure if I should it hope it goes, or hope it cancels....It's in WA state, so unlikely to go, and TBH, I am unlikely to want to cross the border, even if it is open.  

2020-05-15 4:58 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I have one more race on the schedule...a swim/run in September.  I am not sure if I should it hope it goes, or hope it cancels....It's in WA state, so unlikely to go, and TBH, I am unlikely to want to cross the border, even if it is open.  

i wouldn’t want to come to the US! Nor would I want anyone from the US coming to my country if I were you !

2020-05-15 5:03 PM

User image

Master

i wouldn’t want to come to the US! Nor would I want anyone from the US coming to my country if I were you !

I hear ya. 

2020-05-15 5:52 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep, I am pretty pissed about Calgary. Not about the cancellation--figured that was a given, but that there is NO option given to defer to 2021. It matters for me--#1 I don't think fall races are realistic/safe and #2 September/October is after I go back to work. Logistics for any of those races would be a mess. CDA is the weekend before our first day with kiddos. Washington might be very marginally doable, but it is two weeks into a new school year (theoretically, since we're assuming return to some kind of in-person teaching), and not, as far as I know, on a long weekend. And Oceanside: Expensive, messy logistics, California with all those cases. Plus if there is any virus going around at all, I can think of few things more stupid than doing a HIM, then returning the following day (by plane if Oceanside or CDA), exhausted and with low immunity, to hang out around kiddos, who are little petri dishes at the best of times.

Arrrgh! No idea what to do and can't believe they did not give a 2021 option on this. To me it looks like, "Let the Canadians do a later race if they dare; keep the Americans and their germs in their own country." I don't blame them for that, but not happy with the choices.
2020-05-15 5:59 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by Hot Runner Yep, I am pretty pissed about Calgary. Not about the cancellation--figured that was a given, but that there is NO option given to defer to 2021. It matters for me--#1 I don't think fall races are realistic/safe and #2 September/October is after I go back to work. Logistics for any of those races would be a mess. CDA is the weekend before our first day with kiddos. Washington might be very marginally doable, but it is two weeks into a new school year (theoretically, since we're assuming return to some kind of in-person teaching), and not, as far as I know, on a long weekend. And Oceanside: Expensive, messy logistics, California with all those cases. Plus if there is any virus going around at all, I can think of few things more stupid than doing a HIM, then returning the following day (by plane if Oceanside or CDA), exhausted and with low immunity, to hang out around kiddos, who are little petri dishes at the best of times. Arrrgh! No idea what to do and can't believe they did not give a 2021 option on this. To me it looks like, "Let the Canadians do a later race if they dare; keep the Americans and their germs in their own country." I don't blame them for that, but not happy with the choices.

I suspect it's just a matter of time.  Victoria was initially postponed, now cancelled.  Likely will be the same with Calgary. 

2020-05-15 6:22 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpaI would love to do a manatee gather sometime next year. Just for group consideration, the geographic center of the contiguous United States is in the middle of Kansas. Perhaps we should look at something in that general area? Hopefully, we're talking about something in the Sprint / Olympic area, as opposed to the IM's that all you crazy people do

Having lived 93% of my life in South Central Kansas, I may have to respectfully veto that idea 
One reason is that it's way more expensive to fly there. They just don't have the air traffic volume to offer low-cost flights. Sometimes you can find good deals, but you have to set alerts and scour for your dates. I used that as an excuse to not go home for Thanksgiving - even flying on Thanksgiving Day (which is usually pretty cheap) it was going to cost me $500 to get to Wichita and back. Kansas City is usually a bit cheaper, but not by much. I can go to Europe for less than that!

I'm not a Kansas basher ... I actually think my hometown Wichita is pretty cool - super family friendly, growing arts scene, big restaurant scene, community support for things like festivals (and races) and we love our local university. Kansas City is a unique mix of "bigger city" with pro sports teams and super vibrant areas like Power & Light downtown - yet still feels mid-sized and manageable. MANY of my college friends laid down roots there (and my grandma still lives there). But most everything in between the two is desolate farm land.

While I appreciate my roots, I wouldn't recommend Kansas as a place for a meetup. It's geographically SUPER BORING and doesn't have a lot of nature to offer besides dirty lakes. But on the other hand, triathlon pros like Mirinda Cafrae and Tim O'Donnel move there every summer to train for Kona as it has heat, humidity and wind. 

2020-05-15 6:44 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Did they allow deferments after Victoria was cancelled? Not sure what I should do. If I keep the Calgary entry, there's basically zero chance I'd come up to do it even if it went on in Sept., but afraid if I request to transfer to a US race and that's canceled, I'll lose all my money whereas I can see them allowing me to defer to Calgary 2021 if Calgary 2020 is cancelled.

Grr...I lost about $650 to IM last year and now this. Seriously, they should give me a Kona slot!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127