BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-07-22 2:17 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Today

Happy birthday, Jen!

Tomorrow

Happy birthday, Hands!

Happy Birthdays Jen and Hands!

2019-07-22 2:19 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by glfprncs 

I mix together 8 oz water, 8 oz coconut water, 4 oz tart cherry juice, 1/4 t pink salt, 1 T blackstrap molasses. I drink half the night before and the other half an hour prior to my workout. 

Interested in the benefits of the tart cherry juice. I have always read that it helps to promote sleep. It is a good source of electrolytes? Clearly it doesn't make you sleep if you take it before your workout?

Here are a few studies on the anti-inflammatory and sleep benefits of tart cherries.  I don't use for sleep, but I do for anti-inflammatory.

http://www.macrothink.org/journal/index.php/jfs/article/view/1927

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/jmf.2009.0096

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/jmf.2008.0270

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5872786/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28901958

2019-07-23 4:41 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by IronOx

I mix together 8 oz water, 8 oz coconut water, 4 oz tart cherry juice, 1/4 t pink salt, 1 T blackstrap molasses. I drink half the night before and the other half an hour prior to my workout. 

Interested in the benefits of the tart cherry juice. I have always read that it helps to promote sleep. It is a good source of electrolytes? Clearly it doesn't make you sleep if you take it before your workout?

Here are a few studies on the anti-inflammatory and sleep benefits of tart cherries.  I don't use for sleep, but I do for anti-inflammatory.

http://www.macrothink.org/journal/index.php/jfs/article/view/1927

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/jmf.2009.0096

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/jmf.2008.0270

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5872786/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28901958

Thanks for posting the links. I had heard the tart cherries are good for soothing arthritis (I think Robin Proctor told me about this).
2019-07-23 8:52 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I think that tart cherry juice is supposed to be an anti inflammatory.  What's not clear to me is how these studies were conducted or who funded them.

i have used tart cherry juice for several years. It was recommended by my rheumatologist. It works for me. I can tell a huge difference in my arthritis pain. I have not noticed any sleep benefit, but that is a huge problem for me so it would be hard to tell.
2019-07-23 4:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by ceilidh

I think that tart cherry juice is supposed to be an anti inflammatory.  What's not clear to me is how these studies were conducted or who funded them.

i have used tart cherry juice for several years. It was recommended by my rheumatologist. It works for me. I can tell a huge difference in my arthritis pain. I have not noticed any sleep benefit, but that is a huge problem for me so it would be hard to tell.

I know that Dr. Stacy Sims is a huge proponent of tart cherry juice for sleep. I just use it because I found a 'recipe' for an electrolyte drink that allowed me to know exactly what was in it in Shalene Flanagan's cookbook. She also has a similar recovery drink. I don't believe the tart cherry juice contains any electrolytes (the coconut water, salt and the blackstrap molasses certainly do), but I think it needed a 'sweetener' to make it a bit more palatable. In the "Run Fast. Cook fast. Eat Slow" cookbook, it does say that tart cherries are very high in antioxidants.

I've been using it the night before and morning of every long run and long bike/run brick workout. I've been far more successful training through the heat this summer than in prior summer months after adding this as part of my weekly hydration. the question is: Am I dealing with the heat better because of the prehydration protocol OR because I'm just a LOT fitter than I was in year's past? Probably more the latter than the former, but I do rest a little easier knowing that I'm setting myself up for a more successful ride and run in 90+ degrees and humidity. I have a friend who has experienced hyponatremia and I don't ever want to go down that road.

If it also works as an ant-inflammatory...even better!!!

Edited by glfprncs 2019-07-23 4:25 PM
2019-07-23 9:45 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Expert
I don't know if tart cherry juice works, but I really like the flavor of it.

2019-07-23 9:50 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Was going to say that. But at least where I live it is really overpriced. I think as it is trendy, maybe. Wonder if eating dried tart cherries would have some of the same effect? The ones from Trader Joe's are so yummy!

My thought on your question is that you are probably training better because you are both fitter and better hydrated. And much of the reason you're better hydrated is because you LIKE the stuff you are drinking, so you drink more/enough of it. I'm super-picky about sports drinks/nutrition (I think most commercial products taste WAY too sweet, plus those drinks with weird colors are really off-putting) and I know in the past I have tended to under fuel and under hydrate during if I didn't like the taste or texture of what I had on board for a run or ride, or what was offered in a race.

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-07-23 9:56 PM
2019-07-23 10:16 PM

User image

Expert
Why I'm going to have a good race.
It's race week, and I know I'm going to have a good race, because I'm taking care of all of the bad chaotic stuff now. We ha(d)ve a full vacation planned around the race a true racecation!. Leave after work on Tuesday, drive to Toronto. Wednesday and Thursday night at Niagara falls on the Canadian side. Friday- Monday in Lake Placid. All hotels are booked and paid for. Daughter number 2 actually had a school break, first time since high school and she is going with us....then the wheels start to come off.
It started when she said "I can't go to Canada with just a driver's license and birth certificate." "My passport expired." Apply for a verified DL. Waited until the Friday a week and half before the trip. SOS says 2-3 weeks for verified licence.
With three days before the trip, she still did not have her new DL, and no way to legally go to Canada. Our first thought was well, too bad, maybe next time. Then daughter number one chimes in "Sophia could use a win. She carries a 3.6 on a double major in human biology and kinesiology, she works, she volunteers at a hospital, a senior center, and a lab, she just took the MCAT, is starting her med school application process and she hasn't taken a break for over 4 years, when she was in high school."
  • .. I write you tonight from a motel in Cleveland. Yes Ohio. We are visiting a med school in the morning that she is interested in.
  • Sunday evening as we were scrambling to cancel hotel reservations and begging them to not penalize us to cancel, Achilles tendinitis decided it was time to visit. Two days of people asking if I'm ok to race as I hobble around. Assuring the world and mostly myself that I would be ok.
    As we all experience when we try to take time off, work was insane. The sky was falling and it must be repaired today! If not there would be no sky when I got back. I had everything in the last two days from attorney's doddering to figure out what they were going to do with hearings they set, to a judge being an hour late because of an emergency hearing that literally popped up moments before my hearing.
    Once my Achilles stretched out and the inflammation leaves, I am sure I will have a great day on Sunday, because I got all of the crap and crazy out of the way. There is nothing left to do but have fun on race day.
    BTW The world's best Sherpa (my wife Michelle) will be doing live updates on Facebook again on Sunday. If we aren't FB friends send me a request and you can join in the IM fun.

Edited by JBacarella 2019-07-23 10:21 PM
    2019-07-24 7:58 AM
    in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I don't know if tart cherry juice works, but I really like the flavor of it.

It's excellent in a smoothie!

2019-07-24 7:59 AM
    in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Was going to say that. But at least where I live it is really overpriced. I think as it is trendy, maybe. Wonder if eating dried tart cherries would have some of the same effect? The ones from Trader Joe's are so yummy! My thought on your question is that you are probably training better because you are both fitter and better hydrated. And much of the reason you're better hydrated is because you LIKE the stuff you are drinking, so you drink more/enough of it. I'm super-picky about sports drinks/nutrition (I think most commercial products taste WAY too sweet, plus those drinks with weird colors are really off-putting) and I know in the past I have tended to under fuel and under hydrate during if I didn't like the taste or texture of what I had on board for a run or ride, or what was offered in a race.

Excellent points!

2019-07-24 8:03 AM

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella Why I'm going to have a good race. It's race week, and I know I'm going to have a good race, because I'm taking care of all of the bad chaotic stuff now. We ha(d)ve a full vacation planned around the race a true racecation!. Leave after work on Tuesday, drive to Toronto. Wednesday and Thursday night at Niagara falls on the Canadian side. Friday- Monday in Lake Placid. All hotels are booked and paid for. Daughter number 2 actually had a school break, first time since high school and she is going with us....then the wheels start to come off. It started when she said "I can't go to Canada with just a driver's license and birth certificate." "My passport expired." Apply for a verified DL. Waited until the Friday a week and half before the trip. SOS says 2-3 weeks for verified licence. With three days before the trip, she still did not have her new DL, and no way to legally go to Canada. Our first thought was well, too bad, maybe next time. Then daughter number one chimes in "Sophia could use a win. She carries a 3.6 on a double major in human biology and kinesiology, she works, she volunteers at a hospital, a senior center, and a lab, she just took the MCAT, is starting her med school application process and she hasn't taken a break for over 4 years, when she was in high school." ... I write you tonight from a motel in Cleveland. Yes Ohio. We are visiting a med school in the morning that she is interested in. Sunday evening as we were scrambling to cancel hotel reservations and begging them to not penalize us to cancel, Achilles tendinitis decided it was time to visit. Two days of people asking if I'm ok to race as I hobble around. Assuring the world and mostly myself that I would be ok. As we all experience when we try to take time off, work was insane. The sky was falling and it must be repaired today! If not there would be no sky when I got back. I had everything in the last two days from attorney's doddering to figure out what they were going to do with hearings they set, to a judge being an hour late because of an emergency hearing that literally popped up moments before my hearing. Once my Achilles stretched out and the inflammation leaves, I am sure I will have a great day on Sunday, because I got all of the crap and crazy out of the way. There is nothing left to do but have fun on race day. BTW The world's best Sherpa (my wife Michelle) will be doing live updates on Facebook again on Sunday. If we aren't FB friends send me a request and you can join in the IM fun.

ARG!  How do the Taper doGs always know to come an haunt us with heavy work loads and mysterious injuries?

You're gonna have a great race!

2019-07-24 8:22 AM

User image

Master
    Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella Why I'm going to have a good race. It's race week, and I know I'm going to have a good race, because I'm taking care of all of the bad chaotic stuff now. We ha(d)ve a full vacation planned around the race a true racecation!. Leave after work on Tuesday, drive to Toronto. Wednesday and Thursday night at Niagara falls on the Canadian side. Friday- Monday in Lake Placid. All hotels are booked and paid for. Daughter number 2 actually had a school break, first time since high school and she is going with us....then the wheels start to come off. It started when she said "I can't go to Canada with just a driver's license and birth certificate." "My passport expired." Apply for a verified DL. Waited until the Friday a week and half before the trip. SOS says 2-3 weeks for verified licence. With three days before the trip, she still did not have her new DL, and no way to legally go to Canada. Our first thought was well, too bad, maybe next time. Then daughter number one chimes in "Sophia could use a win. She carries a 3.6 on a double major in human biology and kinesiology, she works, she volunteers at a hospital, a senior center, and a lab, she just took the MCAT, is starting her med school application process and she hasn't taken a break for over 4 years, when she was in high school." ... I write you tonight from a motel in Cleveland. Yes Ohio. We are visiting a med school in the morning that she is interested in. Sunday evening as we were scrambling to cancel hotel reservations and begging them to not penalize us to cancel, Achilles tendinitis decided it was time to visit. Two days of people asking if I'm ok to race as I hobble around. Assuring the world and mostly myself that I would be ok. As we all experience when we try to take time off, work was insane. The sky was falling and it must be repaired today! If not there would be no sky when I got back. I had everything in the last two days from attorney's doddering to figure out what they were going to do with hearings they set, to a judge being an hour late because of an emergency hearing that literally popped up moments before my hearing. Once my Achilles stretched out and the inflammation leaves, I am sure I will have a great day on Sunday, because I got all of the crap and crazy out of the way. There is nothing left to do but have fun on race day. BTW The world's best Sherpa (my wife Michelle) will be doing live updates on Facebook again on Sunday. If we aren't FB friends send me a request and you can join in the IM fun.

ARG!  How do the Taper doGs always know to come an haunt us with heavy work loads and mysterious injuries?

X2! I’m sure things will work out and all will be well, but what fun in the meantime! Sorry for the drama with your daughter’s DL but am happy she can get a break and be with you all - even in Ohio!
    2019-07-24 8:47 AM
    in reply to: amd723

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
    Originally posted by amd723

X2! I’m sure things will work out and all will be well, but what fun in the meantime! Sorry for the drama with your daughter’s DL but am happy she can get a break and be with you all - even in Ohio!

x3! I always seem to have the best workouts after a crappy day or week - maybe once the crap is resolved I'm more relaxed.

Go get it and have a great race. We'll be cheering!!
    2019-07-24 9:42 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Tart cherry - I use tart cherry capsules from VitalFit and I do think they help with my arthritis and inflammation.

Jim - surely the tri gods will see all the crap you are dealing with and part the clouds to allow you an excellent trip to LP and an even better race!  In the meantime, I hope things smooth out and settle down and that your Achilles starts behaving.

2019-07-24 10:23 AM

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs The last two weekends, I've had rides of 60 and 70 miles respectively. During both of those rides, the front end of my bike felt 'squirrely' whenever I'd go down into aero. I haven't noticed this feeling prior to the last 2 weekend rides. It's enough to make me feel rather uncomfortable which is NOT fun. A few things: I ride on Reynolds AR 58/62 wheels. I did put on new tires this week, but that wouldn't account for the feeling last weekend. I also replaced the stock aero bar pads with Cee Gee Cushy's. My first long road ride with them was on June 23rd, which is 3 weeks ago. I don't recall noticing any issues with them on that first ride. It has not been windy. Truly...4-5 mph 'winds' both weekends. I haven't had any other changes to my bike set up. I'm so confused...and frustrated. I just want to park myself in aero and pedal. I have an e-mail into the bike shop/fitter where I purchased the bike, and am willing to trek to Atlanta to have him check my fit and see if there's something else going on. Any thoughts?

Any updates?

2019-07-24 12:04 PM
    in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area

There has been a back channel discussion among folks who had previously expressed interest in IM 70.3 Chattanooga on May 17, 2020.  It sounds like there could be a potential Manatee Meetup!  Triclub registration opens this week and general entry opens next week.  Last year, I think that it was sold out something around Halloween or Thanksgiving.

Chris, Kevin has been expounding on the mountain bike offerings. If a Meetup happens, we'd love to see you there!

2019-07-25 10:45 AM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

There has been a back channel discussion among folks who had previously expressed interest in IM 70.3 Chattanooga on May 17, 2020.  It sounds like there could be a potential Manatee Meetup!  Triclub registration opens this week and general entry opens next week.  Last year, I think that it was sold out something around Halloween or Thanksgiving.

Chris, Kevin has been expounding on the mountain bike offerings. If a Meetup happens, we'd love to see you there!

so far 2 are in.... who else?
    2019-07-25 1:48 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina

Originally posted by glfprncs The last two weekends, I've had rides of 60 and 70 miles respectively. During both of those rides, the front end of my bike felt 'squirrely' whenever I'd go down into aero. I haven't noticed this feeling prior to the last 2 weekend rides. It's enough to make me feel rather uncomfortable which is NOT fun. A few things: I ride on Reynolds AR 58/62 wheels. I did put on new tires this week, but that wouldn't account for the feeling last weekend. I also replaced the stock aero bar pads with Cee Gee Cushy's. My first long road ride with them was on June 23rd, which is 3 weeks ago. I don't recall noticing any issues with them on that first ride. It has not been windy. Truly...4-5 mph 'winds' both weekends. I haven't had any other changes to my bike set up. I'm so confused...and frustrated. I just want to park myself in aero and pedal. I have an e-mail into the bike shop/fitter where I purchased the bike, and am willing to trek to Atlanta to have him check my fit and see if there's something else going on. Any thoughts?

Any updates?

Ended up going to Atlanta (loooong day of driving) for 90 minutes with my bike fitter. The culprit was the thicker and 'squishier' CeeGee Cushy aero bar pads. We made a few adjustments (like 1-2 centimeters of change) and it helped quite a bit based on my 80 mile ride the next day. Still a tiny bit less stable than with the other aerobar pads, but I think I've got time to get comfortable and adjust a bit more. If not, I have the old pads that I can put on as needed.

I also came to the realization that once you get past the 70 mile mark on a bicycle, it's not that awesome.
    2019-07-25 1:53 PM

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area

Any updates?

Ended up going to Atlanta (loooong day of driving) for 90 minutes with my bike fitter. The culprit was the thicker and 'squishier' CeeGee Cushy aero bar pads. We made a few adjustments (like 1-2 centimeters of change) and it helped quite a bit based on my 80 mile ride the next day. Still a tiny bit less stable than with the other aerobar pads, but I think I've got time to get comfortable and adjust a bit more. If not, I have the old pads that I can put on as needed. I also came to the realization that once you get past the 70 mile mark on a bicycle, it's not that awesome.

I'm so glad that the issue was pretty much resolved. It's no fun feeling like you are living on the edge by riding a squirrelly bike!

2019-07-25 3:13 PM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Any updates?

Ended up going to Atlanta (loooong day of driving) for 90 minutes with my bike fitter. The culprit was the thicker and 'squishier' CeeGee Cushy aero bar pads. We made a few adjustments (like 1-2 centimeters of change) and it helped quite a bit based on my 80 mile ride the next day. Still a tiny bit less stable than with the other aerobar pads, but I think I've got time to get comfortable and adjust a bit more. If not, I have the old pads that I can put on as needed. I also came to the realization that once you get past the 70 mile mark on a bicycle, it's not that awesome.

WoW! I would not have guessed that different aerobar pads would make all that difference!

2019-07-26 8:32 AM
    in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

so far 2 are in.... who else?

OK, people, you need to step things up. At least make some "just in case" hotel reservations, m'kay?

2019-07-26 8:59 AM

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area

News for all of the Bachelorette fans in the group:

The Fantasy Suite From ‘The Bachelorette’ Is Surprisingly Cheap on Airbnb

All you have to do is get to Greece...

2019-07-26 9:35 AM

User image

Master
    Englewood, Florida

Finally, a conversation I can get involved in...

2019-07-26 9:36 AM
    in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Hey, we invited you to the Chattanooga half ironman and mountain biking adventure!

2019-07-26 10:03 AM

User image

Master
    Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

Hey, we invited you to the Chattanooga half ironman and mountain biking adventure!

I am working the calendar at the moment to see how feasible that will be.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107