BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-05-23 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed

Good morning gang!  I hope everyone had a good weekend.  My allergies, cold, sinus issues or whatever are still kicking my butt.  My ears are so clogged right now I can barely hear.  It feels like my head in underwater.

Plus my little girl threw up this morning and has something.  Normally I wouldn't be to worried - these things happen but the timing could not be worse.  She has her big ballet recital practice tonight and show tomorrow.  She has worked for almost a year on the routine and has a big part in the show.  I just hope she gets better soon.  I'm not sure I can handle the tears if she is sick.  She will be so disappointed.

2011-05-23 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3513197

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
sdalessio - 2011-05-23 7:25 AM

Good morning gang!  I hope everyone had a good weekend.  My allergies, cold, sinus issues or whatever are still kicking my butt.  My ears are so clogged right now I can barely hear.  It feels like my head in underwater.

Plus my little girl threw up this morning and has something.  Normally I wouldn't be to worried - these things happen but the timing could not be worse.  She has her big ballet recital practice tonight and show tomorrow.  She has worked for almost a year on the routine and has a big part in the show.  I just hope she gets better soon.  I'm not sure I can handle the tears if she is sick.  She will be so disappointed.

Oh no!  She is going pitch a fit if she can't go!  I feel for you. 

I am impatiently waiting some race reports.....Yell....I've read a whole bunch of IM TX, but nothing from our boy.  Also saw a Noosa report, but it was from someone else....Frown.

2011-05-23 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3513247

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
SSMinnow - 2011-05-23 8:51 AM

I am impatiently waiting some race reports.....Yell....I've read a whole bunch of IM TX, but nothing from our boy.  Also saw a Noosa report, but it was from someone else....Frown.

David's Noosa report is there...he posted a link a page or two back.  Can't you keep up with the group anymore???  Laughing

edit:  here

Edited by gdale 2011-05-23 8:34 AM
2011-05-23 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Happy Monday peeps.

Congrats to our racers and mega trainers from the weekend  - John, Doug and David

And of course Shea and her mom!!  Great story there.

Sam and Tony - hope you daughter gets better quick for her big night.

2011-05-23 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3513197

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
sdalessio - 2011-05-23 8:25 AM

I think she is fine now,  she is quite the actress, almost got her to come out of character when I asked if she wanted to go to the pool, she almost ran to get her stuff, then realized she was supposed to be sick and changed her mind...

Also she seems perfectly able to yell at me in the kitchen from the living room when she needs more saltines and ginger ale.

I believe I feel worse right now with a slight hang over than she does being sick.

2011-05-23 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

What does everyone think about the most recent drama regarding Armstrong from Hamilton's inteview with 60 Minutes?  I haven't watched the interview yet but I have been reading about it this morning.  Frustrating that these guys (Hamilton, Landis, etc) come out after years of denying (even when getting caught) and then start point fingers.  At the same time, you start thinking that all these guys around Lance(on his team and other teams) were doing it and he wasn't???  Aaargh.

I want the guy to be clean both for what he did as a cyclist and what he has done and continues to do as a advocate/philanthropist for Cancer.

2011-05-23 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3513490

User image

Champion
gdale - 2011-05-23 10:39 AM

What does everyone think about the most recent drama regarding Armstrong from Hamilton's inteview with 60 Minutes?  I haven't watched the interview yet but I have been reading about it this morning.  Frustrating that these guys (Hamilton, Landis, etc) come out after years of denying (even when getting caught) and then start point fingers.  At the same time, you start thinking that all these guys around Lance(on his team and other teams) were doing it and he wasn't???  Aaargh.

I want the guy to be clean both for what he did as a cyclist and what he has done and continues to do as a advocate/philanthropist for Cancer.

I think the guys coming out against him are pretty shaky on the character side.  If Hincapie did really admit it then I think all bets are off, guy has nothing to sell and nothing to gain by saying he saw/aided lance.

It won't surprise me in the least if it does come out that lance doped, I mean he was crushing guys who were doping, and not just winning by a minute or two.  So if everyone was doping and he was also then he is still a bad a$$ (or he was using better stuff) .

I think really though only cyclists, triathletes and cycling fans(few and far between) will really care. 

2011-05-23 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Good morning,

I've been trying to post my Rev3 race report for a week now.  Every time I hit save and make public it goes into locked-up thinking mode and then I loose it all.  I'll try one more time and then I quit.

I think Lance is innocent.......period.

***************REAL NUTRITION QUESTION*********************

I've found a good balance of liquids, gels and solids that work well for me on the bike.  But it is getting hot and humid down south and my water needs are increasing.  The problem is I can't carry all this stuff.  I've heard about people making their liquid nutrition double concentrated and then filling their other bottles with water.  My concern is that will turn my stomach.  Do any of you have any experience with this?

2011-05-23 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3513628

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2011-05-23 11:25 AM

Good morning,

I've been trying to post my Rev3 race report for a week now.  Every time I hit save and make public it goes into locked-up thinking mode and then I loose it all.  I'll try one more time and then I quit.

I've found a good balance of liquids, gels and solids that work well for me on the bike.  But it is getting hot and humid down south and my water needs are increasing.  The problem is I can't carry all this stuff.  I've heard about people making their liquid nutrition double concentrated and then filling their other bottles with water.  My concern is that will turn my stomach.  Do any of you have any experience with this?

I use infinit and doubling it hasn't been a problem for me.  In TX last year I also brought a baggie and put water in my aerodrink from aid station and then dumped in the baggie.  worked well for 56, not sure how much I would carry for 112 though.

Also again if you're using infinit you could dial down the flavor if double/triple mix is too much for you.

2011-05-23 10:54 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

Good morning,

a little.    :-)

more in a bit.  trying to get this rr up but had to chime in on that. 

2011-05-23 12:16 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Who let this guy from Georgia into our MG? He looks sort of like a FAT guy that used to be here, but that guy way bigger and slower and less accomplished! Wink

2011-05-23 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3513722

User image

Elite
san francisco
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-23 8:54 AM

Good morning,

a little.    :-)

more in a bit.  trying to get this rr up but had to chime in on that. 

Yes! Me too, yesterday in fact, I hope to figure this out, preferably by September 11! John, happy to see your post...not about the gut issues, but just cuz
2011-05-23 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3513490

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
gdale - 2011-05-23 7:39 AM

I think Tyler Hamilton looked like an idiot last night.  But I am with Tony... If George says it's so.... IT'S SO!!!   But Frankie, Tyler, and Floyd... Terrible sources!

2011-05-23 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3514044

User image

Extreme Veteran
swbkrun - 2011-05-23 1:56 PM
gdale - 2011-05-23 7:39 AM

I think Tyler Hamilton looked like an idiot last night.  But I am with Tony... If George says it's so.... IT'S SO!!!   But Frankie, Tyler, and Floyd... Terrible sources!

FWIW, I think Hincapie has said that he did not speak to 60 Minutes about his testimony in front of the grand jury.  I would be interested in learning about that testimony.  Like Tony and Birdy, I place more credence in his testimony than in the others.

2011-05-23 1:14 PM

User image

Master
tahrens - 2011-05-23 8:25 AM

Good morning,

I often do this, for various reason (in colder weather I just don't drink nearly as much water so w/ the regular concentration I don't get in my calories as well). I can't remember what I did in the race last year (hope I wrote it down somewhere) but I may have mixed triple -- at least I did double. I always fill my aero bottle with water ONLY, and then if my mix is concentrated from my bottles on my bike then I make sure to drink 2-3 sips of water for every swig of concentrate. Also, I find on long rides that plain water is just so refreshing. I get sooooo sick of sugary-crap-artificial-food products. It's one thing I really hate about this training. Blech. My Infinit taste is as low as you can go, and I still find it somewhat sweet. CarboPro/Nuun mix is more palatable at times. I'm also using PowerBar Perform, but mixing that only at standard concentrations as that is what I'll get on the course.

For long rides, I'll pack along 2-3 small baggies of pre-measured powder, and then if I need to I'll stop at Starbucks for water and mix up more bottles (yes, we even have Sbux in the boonies on rides in farm country!). I write with a Sharpie on the outside of the bag what it is and how many scoops/calories, so in case I don't use it on that ride at least I know what it is for future mixing.

I don't see any other ways to carry more water, which you obviuosly need in the warm weather. So, I'd just plan water stops and try to make 'em quick. I stopped in my race something like 5x to pee, and re-filled my water each time. The person holding my bike would dump a bottle of water in my aero bottle while I was in the porta-potty. So effecient!!

2011-05-23 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 22 years to Gary (gslye here on bt), We have two daughters, 23 and 21years old, and a new baby grandson (almost 3 months)! I travel with Gary, around the Pacific Northwest in our RV, for his job as a power system electrician.

CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly running and haven't really been sticking with a training plan. I had a stress fracture last year at the end of February while in early training for IMCDA and have struggled to get back into a steady training routine since then. My plan is to get back to swimming and biking a couple of times a week, while continuing run training for the races I'm already signed up for. Hopefully, I'll be able to get in a local sprint or oly sometime toward the end of Summer.

2010  RACES: Snow Joke Half Marathon (Seeley Lake, MT) in February, Columbia Power Marathon (Hood River, OR) and Tri-Cities Marathon (Richland, WA) on back to back weekends in October, and Outer Banks Marathon (NC) in November.

2011 RACES:  Redding Marathon in January, Antelope Island Buffalo Run 25k in March. Registered for: Cda Marathon 5/31, ET 51k (Rachel, Nevada) 8/13, Kauai Marathon 9/4 

I look forward to getting to know those of you that I don't already, and I'm so happy to be back. This is an awesome group and I've missed you all! Here's a pic of my new little grandson:

2011-05-23 1:21 PM

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2011-05-23 10:25 AM

Good morning,

I have experience with this and it is the way I roll on the bike.  I mixed unflavored Sustained Energy, gels and a couple of salt sticks with X amount of water.  I do this for HIMs and even did for IM last year.  I fuel every 15' starting on 15' and ending with 15' left to go until the run.  For HIM's that means roughly 12oz of concentrate or 1oz per feeding. The key is making sure you ingest enough water with each fueling.  For me that is 2 sips of water to every sip of the concentrate.  I also drink water throughout the 15' before the next feeding. I have a podium quest front mount so one side is plain H20 and the other side is the concentrate.  When I hit an aid station all I do is fill water.  My goal is 30g CHO per hour, based on my 101lbs.  My goal is 20oz of H20 per hour. 

My secret formula includes esperesso and vanilla gel because when the solution gets warm it tastes like sweetened coffee instead of gritty barf.

I plan to experiment a little with the concentration level to get even more CHOs in me.  To date, I don't eat solids, but I might try a 1/2 PBJ early in the bike/run training as well.  I did it last year with some success.

As a result of the above, I really carry very little on me.

PS. I have a similar problem with BT right now.  What browser do you use? do you have compatability view on?  Still struggling to fixe the issue.

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-05-23 1:22 PM
2011-05-23 1:31 PM

User image

Champion

I love LANCE the athlete and what he has done for cancer research.  I don't believe the likes of known drug abusers like Tyler Hamilton.  To me, he's just some pathetic washed up cyclist trying to make a buck.

If I see a drug test that shows Lance was a doper, I would be devasted, but believe it.  

2011-05-23 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3514090

User image

Champion
RoniS - 2011-05-23 1:18 PM

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 22 years to Gary (gslye here on bt), We have two daughters, 23 and 21years old, and a new baby grandson (almost 3 months)! I travel with Gary, around the Pacific Northwest in our RV, for his job as a power system electrician.

CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly running and haven't really been sticking with a training plan. I had a stress fracture last year at the end of February while in early training for IMCDA and have struggled to get back into a steady training routine since then. My plan is to get back to swimming and biking a couple of times a week, while continuing run training for the races I'm already signed up for. Hopefully, I'll be able to get in a local sprint or oly sometime toward the end of Summer.

2010  RACES: Snow Joke Half Marathon (Seeley Lake, MT) in February, Columbia Power Marathon (Hood River, OR) and Tri-Cities Marathon (Richland, WA) on back to back weekends in October, and Outer Banks Marathon (NC) in November.

2011 RACES:  Redding Marathon in January, Antelope Island Buffalo Run 25k in March. Registered for: Cda Marathon 5/31, ET 51k (Rachel, Nevada) 8/13, Kauai Marathon 9/4 

I look forward to getting to know those of you that I don't already, and I'm so happy to be back. This is an awesome group and I've missed you all! Here's a pic of my new little grandson:

Welcome home!  Hope we can get you to an MG reunion one of the days!

2011-05-23 1:32 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
RoniS - 2011-05-23 2:18 PM

Congrats Grandma! But Ihave to ask: how old were you when you got married? You don't look old enough to be a Grandma. Heck in the photo of you with your daugthers I had trouble figuring which one was you.

2011-05-23 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3514139

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
DougRob - 2011-05-23 11:32 AM

Congrats Grandma! But Ihave to ask: how old were you when you got married? You don't look old enough to be a Grandma. Heck in the photo of you with your daugthers I had trouble figuring which one was you.

Ha! Yea, I get that a lot. I was a young mom. Gary and I married when I was 18, and we had been together for a couple years before that. I wouldn't recommend it, but amazingly it worked for us. I am absolutely loving being a Grandma... all the fun with none of the responsibility. I am so in love with that little guy! I just wish they were closer.

2011-05-23 2:26 PM

User image

Roni, he is gorgeous!

Glad you're back! 

2011-05-23 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3513149

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Redknight - 2011-05-23 7:45 AM Way to quiet in here for a Monday morning.
Where are all you east coast peeps And where's the banter from the west. Do we have to wait until fatty slim gets back to have a decent conversation?ribbing . How's the training going with everyone? What's your favorite song to run/bike/swim with ( do you use headphones while swimming?). What is everyone's A race this year?
I think I know Fatty's..

Last week was not a good training week for me.  Life got in the way and even though it was a recovery week, my volume was too low.  Then to top it all off, I ended up with a cold.  I'm feeling better today, but will be traveling at the end of this week.  Arggggg!!  School is out in a few days, so that should help--more rest AND more training!!!

I have my first tri on June 25th in Warsaw, IN.  This season is just a "getting my feet wet" season.  No "A" race planned.  I would like to do an Olympic distance in September--that's the goal anyway.

Favorite song to run to:  Pump It, by the Black Eyed Peas.

2011-05-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3514262

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Havin'Fun - 2011-05-23 3:26 PM

Roni, he is gorgeous!

Glad you're back! 

Congraulations Roni!

2011-05-23 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3513331

User image

Expert
Noosa
gdale - 2011-05-23 11:33 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-05-23 8:51 AM

David's Noosa report is there...he posted a link a page or two back.  Can't you keep up with the group anymore???  Laughing

edit:  here

Yep and my Noosa Blue Water Swim report : http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=253317

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298