BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-07-06 2:48 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by fortissimo So I may have just registered for the 70.3 Oceanside on April 1. And I booked our hotel. Nothing like planning next year's races when you're not even done with this year!

O-side is a great race!!!!!

2016-07-06 2:53 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Hola everyone! I have been around, but have been having a hard time checking into the group regularly  - sorry!
Hope everyone is doing well. I have gone off the deep end and registered for a 55K in February, sounds like fun, no?

no. no, it does not. :p

Haha. The 3 mile loop things sound awful, but looks like this might be in Antelope Canyon which could actually be quite interesting.

Yes Antelope Canyon - I've been reading about the sand and am delightfully scared

Antelope Canyon is a STUNNING race. Haven't done it but I've seen pix. The sand is no joke. I strongly recommend you find some, somewhere, to train in. We have our share of sand here and people seek it out to train for Antelope.

2016-07-06 2:56 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by popsracer

It was a very long fourth weekend.  I was in the hospital all last week with an intestinal blockage (collateral damage from prior surgeries).  Got out Friday night, then had a wedding to attend on Saturday, Sunday was a bbq at my house with all my family.  We drained a 1/6 barrel keg.  Monday we hosted another bbq and fourth party.  Drained another keg.  Back to work now for some much needed chilling.

I'm glad you are better and out of the hospital. The festivities sound fun.

2016-07-06 3:00 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by rrrunner

I am back from the stupidly-humid southeast. We had a great time with DS2. We went to Amelia Island, Tybee Island, Savannah, and finished the weekend with fireworks at the pier in JAX. I tried kayaking for the first time and loved it. We were even joined by dolphins toward the end of our trip.

why or why didn't you take are stupidly humid weather with you?!   Looks like a lot of fun - even in the stupid weather!!

Um, no. We were quite happy to be back to our low 90's and 10% humidity!

it was pretty cool though, when I was running in the morning to think I might be training the same times as my east coast friends, rather than 2+ hours later

2016-07-06 3:28 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Hola everyone! I have been around, but have been having a hard time checking into the group regularly  - sorry!
Hope everyone is doing well. I have gone off the deep end and registered for a 55K in February, sounds like fun, no?

no. no, it does not. :p

Haha. The 3 mile loop things sound awful, but looks like this might be in Antelope Canyon which could actually be quite interesting.

Yes Antelope Canyon - I've been reading about the sand and am delightfully scared

Antelope Canyon is a STUNNING race. Haven't done it but I've seen pix. The sand is no joke. I strongly recommend you find some, somewhere, to train in. We have our share of sand here and people seek it out to train for Antelope.

The best I can do in Kansas are trails and some loose gravel paths, so I'm scoping those out for sure!

2016-07-06 5:42 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

no.
no, it does not. :p
I'm with Randee on this one

2016-07-06 5:49 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by jmkizer

We're becoming the ultra runner overachiever group! 

I'm starting to feel like a run slacker!!

I haven't run 4 miles straight in over a year.

Thanks Ben you have made me feel much better - even if your lower mileage has been due to injury.
Seriously Ann-Maree I have seen your logs and how many HMs have you run this year?
2016-07-06 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

It was a very long fourth weekend.  I was in the hospital all last week with an intestinal blockage (collateral damage from prior surgeries).  Got out Friday night, then had a wedding to attend on Saturday, Sunday was a bbq at my house with all my family.  We drained a 1/6 barrel keg.  Monday we hosted another bbq and fourth party.  Drained another keg.  Back to work now for some much needed chilling.

Im glad you are out of hospital and I hope you are feeling much better.
2016-07-06 8:19 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Steve, hope you are feeling better soon. Sounds like a crazy "holiday" weekend. At least you got in some bbq and beer!

I have yet to plan anything for 2017. Including whether I will stay in Vietnam or try to find another job overseas or stateside, which sort of determines everything else. Basically have waffled over it for several years. Vietnam's not ideal, but I like my job, and it's a very tough market right now--afraid I might find myself jobless or in a worse situation (at least as far as tri, or any outdoor activity, which i really need for my sanity!) is concerned if I left......

I have been thinking about doing the Alpe de Huez tri in France next summer. Yes, I know, I am nuts. Uphill bike, run at altitude on gravel trails. Maybe will actually look at doing the du as the swim is supposed to be really cold and I don't have a good track record with that. Kind of silly, but I'd like my next goal to be something that's not necessarily time, distance, or place-related. Worlds for 2017 are in Chattanooga--unlike Australia, it's neither practical, not motivating for me. Want to do something different but challenging.
2016-07-07 7:14 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner Steve, hope you are feeling better soon. Sounds like a crazy "holiday" weekend. At least you got in some bbq and beer! I have yet to plan anything for 2017. Including whether I will stay in Vietnam or try to find another job overseas or stateside, which sort of determines everything else. Basically have waffled over it for several years. Vietnam's not ideal, but I like my job, and it's a very tough market right now--afraid I might find myself jobless or in a worse situation (at least as far as tri, or any outdoor activity, which i really need for my sanity!) is concerned if I left...... I have been thinking about doing the Alpe de Huez tri in France next summer. Yes, I know, I am nuts. Uphill bike, run at altitude on gravel trails. Maybe will actually look at doing the du as the swim is supposed to be really cold and I don't have a good track record with that. Kind of silly, but I'd like my next goal to be something that's not necessarily time, distance, or place-related. Worlds for 2017 are in Chattanooga--unlike Australia, it's neither practical, not motivating for me. Want to do something different but challenging.

Karen, IIRC, you aren't a fan of the bike, although climbing seems to be a good thing for you. So Alpe de Huez would seem to fit right in for you, no?

Are you seriously considering a change from Vietman? I don't know how you do it every year, so I could see wanting something different. I am in awe of folks that are willing to take such jobs and lead such lives. It must be fulfilling, challenging, tiring and a whole bunch more! 

2016-07-07 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by StaceyK

x2. It sure seems like you have been through a lot lately, I hope things ease up soon!

2016-07-07 7:57 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

x2. It sure seems like you have been through a lot lately, I hope things ease up soon!

x3! I'm sure the keg draining was helpful tough!!

2016-07-07 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks Ben you have made me feel much better - even if your lower mileage has been due to injury. Seriously Ann-Maree I have seen your logs and how many HMs have you run this year?

Haha, I do run a lot, I just haven't done anything longer than a HM in a few years! But, there is a very outside chance that I'll run a marathon this fall.  Very outside.

2016-07-07 8:29 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I'm glad you are better and out of the hospital. The festivities sound fun.

YES glad you are out of the hospital too!

Man with that schedule you must be EXHUSTED - I know I am just reading it!

Welcome back
2016-07-07 11:16 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Atlantia

I can't even wrap my head around how long 55k is. 4 miles sounds long to me, too.

Had to check after reading this.  My last run over 4 miles was December 19th of last year.

2016-07-07 1:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by msteiner

I can't even wrap my head around how long 55k is. 4 miles sounds long to me, too.

Had to check after reading this.  My last run over 4 miles was December 19th of last year.

55k = 34.1754156 miles according to Google... It sounds much better in km

Edited by marysia83 2016-07-07 1:50 PM

2016-07-07 1:57 PM

Master
Northern IL

Thanks Ben you have made me feel much better - even if your lower mileage has been due to injury. Seriously Ann-Maree I have seen your logs and how many HMs have you run this year?

It started with that, but have been keeping it down with some priority evaluations. Keeping runs shorter and frequent. Staying well within myself and letting technique have a stronger influence, meaning I'll slow down or stop if I can't figure something out that day. Borrowing a bit from swim technique emphasis, always trying to feel like I'm running well. Slight bits of compensating have to be fixed rather quick. Things just feel really nice in general, and like I'll be able to ramp up well later on if I choose to.

2016-07-07 2:00 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by msteiner

55k = 34.1754156 miles according to Google... It sounds much better in km

Yeah, there is a 50 mile option at the same event, well at the one I found. Takes a sec to remember that's the bigger one, and wonder how many realize it's 50% bigger!

2016-07-07 2:46 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Guys, can you put me down to the Earth (or whatever the English expression is...) or just simply tell me if I'm being insane or reasonable:

I found this event that sounds like a very fun ride. Basically, women's bike ride across two states, there are two options: 157 km or 102 km. Details here:
https://pages.rapha.cc/womens100-rides/rapha-womens-100-chicago-2

The longest I've ever done was 25 miles. The event is in 10 days and now that I don't have kids (they're on vacation in Poland) I can ride any day, any distance. Still - 25 miles to 63 miles (102 km option) sounds like a huge jump. The other thing is, they posted an average ride pace 17-19 mph. My best time in the race was almost 18, this year's races were under 17, so far I am around 17 (depending on traffic). But that's, once again, with a smaller distance.

Is it possible to train to 60 miles within 10 days? I do not want to fail miserably and won't do it if you tell me don't - I rely completely on your knowledge and experience. Obviously, I can always do it next year. But I just thought I would gather your comments/opinions

Edited by marysia83 2016-07-07 2:46 PM
2016-07-07 3:53 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
How often do you ride 25 miles? What is your weekly average mileage the last month or two?
2016-07-07 5:08 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by marysia83 Guys, can you put me down to the Earth (or whatever the English expression is...) or just simply tell me if I'm being insane or reasonable: I found this event that sounds like a very fun ride. Basically, women's bike ride across two states, there are two options: 157 km or 102 km. Details here: https://pages.rapha.cc/womens100-rides/rapha-womens-100-chicago-2The longest I've ever done was 25 miles. The event is in 10 days and now that I don't have kids (they're on vacation in Poland) I can ride any day, any distance. Still - 25 miles to 63 miles (102 km option) sounds like a huge jump. The other thing is, they posted an average ride pace 17-19 mph. My best time in the race was almost 18, this year's races were under 17, so far I am around 17 (depending on traffic). But that's, once again, with a smaller distance. Is it possible to train to 60 miles within 10 days? I do not want to fail miserably and won't do it if you tell me don't - I rely completely on your knowledge and experience. Obviously, I can always do it next year. But I just thought I would gather your comments/opinions

It looks like there is going to be a break at the turn around so you would be able to get a good rest before returning.  Another thing to consider is how much drafting you are comfortable with and what is the norm for the group.  It is way easier to average a certain pace in you are tucked in behind a group.  Do you know what the terrain is like compared to what you typically ride (elevation profile)?

2016-07-07 5:47 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Good questions, Steve and Sean.
I was actually asking myself the same on my ride back home. Before my kids went for vacation I only did the long ones over the weekend (and I think it was 2 or 3 rides over 20 miles). During the week I was riding from 8 to 13 miles one way twice a day (to and from work). Right now since I have more time, I can do 20+ miles to work, which is what I did today.

Elevation is something I completely not thought about when I first considered doing this race/ride. I am not as experienced with neither hills nor the distance. And I have no idea how this race looks like.

Another thing is that I don't want anything to distract me from my triathlon training. My plan was to focus on Oly distance, which is at the end of August. I don't think it's a good idea to have such extremely long ride (comparing to my experience) disturb my long runs . I guess I should give running some attention as well.

I guess all of the above makes me think it's not the right time for me. I should put it in my 2017 calendar (since we have already started talking about 2017 races... )
2016-07-07 5:50 PM

Master
Northern IL

Unsure of yes or no at the moment. Still kind of hesitant mostly due to the length being so much longer than normal. Weekly riding logged seems to be less than 25 over the past few months, let alone riding near 25 with regularity. Really think of how comfortable you were on the bike at the end of the longest rides. Legs can be fine with pacing, but think of contact points (hands, feet, seat) and some support areas like your core/midsection or above the shoulders. Anything you feel gets worse the longer you go.

Some things I found;

Strava has some previous years, but these went north through Evanston as opposed to south & East into Indiana (where Munster is). I don't think the terrain should change much in there though most riding is coming from pancake flat or near that to maybe generally flat. Maybe some overpass type hills in there? More for others benefit, it's hard to overstate how flat downtown can be for riding. Except to Florida.  ETA: when coming from that, even overpasses can be quite notable if they come in numbers.

The Event Page is the Facebook page for the event. Organizer swears no one will be dropped (as of yesterday).

Overall pacing from Strava is showing 4+ to 5 hrs or so in Moving Time. Stops can help recuperate quite a bit.

Still, that's a pretty big jump. I'm on the fence with this one due to that. Some people can do fine. Others can struggle. Here it's hard to say which. A couple months can be plenty to build up. A few days is highly individual.

Edited by brigby1 2016-07-07 5:54 PM
2016-07-07 5:53 PM

Master
Northern IL

How do we keep posting at the same time lately? 

2016-07-07 6:10 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, Colorado

How do we keep posting at the same time lately? 

haha I know, right

Yea, I think even with slower pace it's still plenty of workout to which my body is not used to. I wish I knew about it weeks ago - I would have much more motivation to ride more..
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.