BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-08-05 2:58 PM
in reply to: #5261513

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Ann-Marie, still sending you lots of strength.

2019-08-06 11:33 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by ceilidh

Ann-Marie, still sending you lots of strength.
I'm sorry to hear about your mum Ann-Marie. Praying for her, you and your family.
2019-08-07 6:51 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
You and your mom are in my thoughts, Ann-Marie. xoxo
2019-08-07 3:21 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Hang in there AM! Sending good thoughts!
2019-08-07 3:24 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Really sorry to hear that Ann Marie. I hope she is getting excellent care.
2019-08-08 3:25 PM
in reply to: #5261539

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Talk to me about clip on aerobars, please.

2019-08-08 3:32 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

I have some on my road bike which I used for my first couple of seasons, including a 70.3. I actually like them a lot mostly for comfort though they probably help with speed / wind resistance as well. I had a professional fit done with mine which probably helped a lot instead of just putting them on myself. On the whole though, I like that they take a lot of pressure off my hands, especially on long rides.
2019-08-08 4:41 PM
in reply to: #5261606

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Thanks Adam. I have a great bike fitter that i will use if I get any. What brand/model do you have?
2019-08-09 4:41 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

I had clip ons on a road bike that I used for triathlon back before I had a TT bike. They worked really well!
2019-08-09 6:24 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Thanks Adam. I have a great bike fitter that i will use if I get any. What brand/model do you have?

I have the Profile Design Legacy model. These were on the lower end. They have a rubbery pad instead of a fabric one like the higher end models, but I actually kinda like the rubbery one better as they don't hold sweat. Looks like Amazon is out of stock on them, but they were around $65 when I bought them in 2017.
2019-08-09 6:36 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I received an email from Ironman yesterday. It basically read, we saw your had a DNF Sunday, we would like to follow up with you and make sure you are ok. I called today, and it was a direct line to the person who sent the email. She asked about how I was doing, medical issues how I'm feeling and race day. It was a nice conversation. She asked if I was interested in racing again. I told her of course, that's like asking if I plan on breathing again. At the end of the conversation, she said let her know if I want to race and she will send me a code for $200.00 off of Maryland, Choo, Louisville, or Florida. So here is where I'm at. Maria the oldest is doing a semester in Spain, this fall (I did Law school so wrong). Her schedule and ours don't match up so we could go and actually spend time with us. A close friend has invited us to his wedding, in China. It's over Thanksgiving weekend, and we really can't work it to take more than that week off. We aren't sure if we want to travel that far for that short a period of time, plus abandon our kids (poor little waifs) for the Holiday. The discussion the weekend, do Louisville, a course I know and race I like. Do Florida, because in November Florida is nicer than Michigan. Or join the Manatee meet up and do Choo with the rest of you.

Sorry that I'm so late responding to this.

First off, I think that we all did college wrong!  Sophia is going to Spain. Judi's daughter is in Scotland.  Me, I spent all of my semesters in Pennsylvania!

Regarding race selection

• Louisville - You are familiar with the course (well, not the run but that should be fine), you like the event, you and Michelle both know the lay of the land so it should be low stress.  River swim, mostly with the current. 
  • Florida - Flat course, know to be a fun event. Swim could be an unknown (I think that it's mostly flat water but could be waves a la Gulf Coast 70.3 this spring). Have you done a salt water swim?  I like them but some people don't.  Bike will be the opposite of Lake Placid (flat!).  I've heard good things about renting condos in PCB for the week at off season rates. Not sure if that is the case this year after last year's hurricane. I'd double check accommodations before pulling the trigger.
  • Chattanooga.  I've done the full twice and liked it a lot.  The Manatee Meetup is for the 70.3 next May.  That being said, I like the event a lot.

I want to put  a chart here.  This list will have to do.

Lou - river swim, hilly bike, flat run

FL - gulf swim, flat bike, flat run

Choo - river swim, hilly bike, hilly run.

2019-08-09 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh Thanks Adam. I have a great bike fitter that i will use if I get any. What brand/model do you have?

I think that you are on the right track. I'd actually talk to the fitter and get the aerobars that s/he recommends.

One thing that I don't know about clip on aerobars is if you can put your hydration there?  Or is the weight too much? I find that a big benefit of being in aero is that my water is literally in my face so I'm better about drinking it.  It sounds dumb but it's helpful to me.  Surprisingly, the race goes better if you don't get dehydrated!  Anyway, that's just a question/observation.

2019-08-09 6:46 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by ceilidh Thanks Adam. I have a great bike fitter that i will use if I get any. What brand/model do you have?

I think that you are on the right track. I'd actually talk to the fitter and get the aerobars that s/he recommends.

One thing that I don't know about clip on aerobars is if you can put your hydration there?  Or is the weight too much? I find that a big benefit of being in aero is that my water is literally in my face so I'm better about drinking it.  It sounds dumb but it's helpful to me.  Surprisingly, the race goes better if you don't get dehydrated!  Anyway, that's just a question/observation.

That's a good point. If you have a good fitter, he or she would help you decide the best shape of aerobars for you. The ones I had curve up quite a bit.

I managed to put a BTB bottle on my clip ons without issue and I agree that's one of the best parts of having aerobars. You do have to tighten the screws on them as hard as you can to prevent slippage.

The downside to clip ons is that if your course is hilly, you'll have to practice taking one hand out of aero to shift. I found that got a little annoying. On the whole though, I was very happy to have them.
2019-08-09 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by ceilidh Talk to me about clip on aerobars, please.

I had them on my road bike up until I pulled the trigger on my tri bike. Loved them. Like was mentioned above, it made for a nicer/lower/easier ride for me. I did get a fitting done after I had them on there for a while and he barely moved them. I guess it is better to be lucky then good! I have made a variety of bike changes since and now only have a road bike that I might outfit with a set of aero bars. Or not, since I'm not riding enough right now to bother spending too much time in thought.

Let me know what you decide on the bars, as I now have two sets and a BTA hydration set up that I am not using. I'll try to grab a snapshot or two for you so you get an idea on it.

2019-08-09 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 9-11

Is anyone racing?

2019-08-09 2:43 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

August 9-11

Is anyone racing?

I'm painting and wishing I was racing.

2019-08-09 2:52 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by JBacarella I received an email from Ironman yesterday. It basically read, we saw your had a DNF Sunday, we would like to follow up with you and make sure you are ok. I called today, and it was a direct line to the person who sent the email. She asked about how I was doing, medical issues how I'm feeling and race day. It was a nice conversation. She asked if I was interested in racing again. I told her of course, that's like asking if I plan on breathing again. At the end of the conversation, she said let her know if I want to race and she will send me a code for $200.00 off of Maryland, Choo, Louisville, or Florida. So here is where I'm at. Maria the oldest is doing a semester in Spain, this fall (I did Law school so wrong). Her schedule and ours don't match up so we could go and actually spend time with us. A close friend has invited us to his wedding, in China. It's over Thanksgiving weekend, and we really can't work it to take more than that week off. We aren't sure if we want to travel that far for that short a period of time, plus abandon our kids (poor little waifs) for the Holiday. The discussion the weekend, do Louisville, a course I know and race I like. Do Florida, because in November Florida is nicer than Michigan. Or join the Manatee meet up and do Choo with the rest of you.

First off, I think that we all did college wrong!  Sophia is going to Spain. Judi's daughter is in Scotland.  Me, I spent all of my semesters in Pennsylvania!

Regarding race selection

• Louisville - You are familiar with the course (well, not the run but that should be fine), you like the event, you and Michelle both know the lay of the land so it should be low stress.  River swim, mostly with the current. 
  • Florida - Flat course, know to be a fun event. Swim could be an unknown (I think that it's mostly flat water but could be waves a la Gulf Coast 70.3 this spring). Have you done a salt water swim?  I like them but some people don't.  Bike will be the opposite of Lake Placid (flat!).  I've heard good things about renting condos in PCB for the week at off season rates. Not sure if that is the case this year after last year's hurricane. I'd double check accommodations before pulling the trigger.
  • Chattanooga.  I've done the full twice and liked it a lot.  The Manatee Meetup is for the 70.3 next May.  That being said, I like the event a lot.

Thanks for the chart and perspective.
So here we go.

Choo- Apparently I listen as well as Michelle accuses me of and that is to only half.
Louisville- I do know the course and the lay of the land. It is getting a little stale for the support crew.
Florida- Still nicer than Michigan in November and Michelle has found some great air b&b spots. I've "Swam" in the ocean but not Swam in the ocean. I did have to do an open water swim in the Chesapeake when I was in the Coast Guard, and brackish water is horrid, so my guess is so is salt water. Michelle found some great deals on air B&B there in November. $125-$150 per night.
We decided we would go to Florida. The support crew thinks it's a great idea especially since that is the ugliest time of year to be here. It is grey, no leaves on the trees and too early for snow. Imagine rural Russia.
2019-08-09 4:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

Regarding race selection

Thanks for the chart and perspective. So here we go. Choo- Apparently I listen as well as Michelle accuses me of and that is to only half. Louisville- I do know the course and the lay of the land. It is getting a little stale for the support crew. Florida- Still nicer than Michigan in November and Michelle has found some great air b&b spots. I've "Swam" in the ocean but not Swam in the ocean. I did have to do an open water swim in the Chesapeake when I was in the Coast Guard, and brackish water is horrid, so my guess is so is salt water. Michelle found some great deals on air B&B there in November. $125-$150 per night. We decided we would go to Florida. The support crew thinks it's a great idea especially since that is the ugliest time of year to be here. It is grey, no leaves on the trees and too early for snow. Imagine rural Russia.

FWIW, IM Florida gets excellent reviews from my tri club. It was the Ironman of choice until Chattanooga was announced. Since Chattanooga is closer and earlier in the season, that has become a local favorite.  In other words, it has more to do with proximity than to do with anything negative about Florida.  

I, for one, look forward to stalking you!

P.S. I take issue with your "only half" comment! ;-)

Edited by jmkizer 2019-08-09 4:17 PM
2019-08-09 4:17 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 9-11

Is anyone racing?

Surely there is a race nearby this weekend!

2019-08-09 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I just saw that BASE now has gels.  I foresee another change to Ironman on course nutrition.

2019-08-09 5:47 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

Champion
Bronze member
There are tons if races in my town this weekend: an OWS, an 10 K, 25 mile bike ending at the top of Chimney Rock, a 5 k ending in the same place and a triathlon. This is the first year in a long time i am not doing any of them.

2019-08-10 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Simple and functional:

2019-08-10 10:39 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by cdban66

Simple and functional:

I can't see close enough. Do those adjust to pivot in or out? I have seen some that do. The problem I had with my former tri bike is that I have to have my arms more in a V-shape because of my neck and shoulder surgeries.

2019-08-10 2:56 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Racing Manatees!!!

August 9-11

Is anyone racing?

Surely there is a race nearby this weekend!

There is one literally within 3 miles of my house. AND I have a credit from a deferment, but I'm so out of shape at this point, I didn't have the heart to sign up for it.

Speaking of painting - I'm probably 40 hours in on a stupid kitchen back splash project. No idea why I decided to take this on myself.
2019-08-10 8:12 PM

User image

Expert

Regarding race selection

Thanks for the chart and perspective. So here we go. Choo- Apparently I listen as well as Michelle accuses me of and that is to only half. Louisville- I do know the course and the lay of the land. It is getting a little stale for the support crew. Florida- Still nicer than Michigan in November and Michelle has found some great air b&b spots. I've "Swam" in the ocean but not Swam in the ocean. I did have to do an open water swim in the Chesapeake when I was in the Coast Guard, and brackish water is horrid, so my guess is so is salt water. Michelle found some great deals on air B&B there in November. $125-$150 per night. We decided we would go to Florida. The support crew thinks it's a great idea especially since that is the ugliest time of year to be here. It is grey, no leaves on the trees and too early for snow. Imagine rural Russia.

FWIW, IM Florida gets excellent reviews from my tri club. It was the Ironman of choice until Chattanooga was announced. Since Chattanooga is closer and earlier in the season, that has become a local favorite.  In other words, it has more to do with proximity than to do with anything negative about Florida.  

I, for one, look forward to stalking you!

P.S. I take issue with your "only half" comment! ;-)

Perhaps I should clarify that I am accused of only half listening, I love 70.3. Unless half listening is what is objectionable, I which case I would like to set my shovel down and stop digging.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107