BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-02-05 10:25 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

LOOK WHO'S BAAAAAACK!

The vet hospital staff seemed almost as excited as I was to get him home, wonder why?

THANK YOU for all your wonderful words, thoughts, prayers, support. We love you.

This makes me soooo happy for you and Smoky!!!!! Happy dance!

2015-02-05 10:33 AM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Master

Originally posted by tcarlson78
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Backwards or forwards? How do I read???

In-laws arrive on Friday, so it's been busy around here "visitorizing" the house. J has gotten some projects done that have been put off (painting rooms, organizing his office, working on his Land Cruiser), and I'm trying to get back to healthy. Did my first mostly run today since Friday before last. I didn't collapse.  Good news is that the crud didn't go into my chest.  However, the HM I was wanting to do this weekend is off the table. Booo

I heard the words Land Cruiser! Oh do tell more!

HAHA

After building up several 40s, and having his heart broken when his last finished one burned/melted in the 2003 San Diego fires, he has a '95 80 series as a project. Taking it to the welding shop this morning to have some exhaust work done (new y-pipe is on but needs connected). Old Man Emu lift is in near future, then paint and Slee bumpers. New leather in the plans, but not for awhile. Throw in the myriad little details all of such projects entail... I swear he's on IH8Mud all the time. lol   

My 100 is the "family car".

2015-02-05 10:41 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

LOOK WHO'S BAAAAAACK!

The vet hospital staff seemed almost as excited as I was to get him home, wonder why?

THANK YOU for all your wonderful words, thoughts, prayers, support. We love you.

Wooooo Hoooooooo!! :D 

2015-02-05 10:52 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

Allright, other than Hands and Chris who is in Florida and why wasn't I invited. I certainly understand our midwesterners going to escape the cold tho.

hahaha

2015-02-05 10:58 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Jet - welcome to the club on Strava.  Of course, that's often soon followed by membership to "Stravaholics (not so) Anonymous."    It's a sickness...  And congrats on the new gear - gotta love a new kit and shoes!

Yanti, speaking of "kit and..." (ok, "kitten") - great news on the little fur-ball!  Veeeery cute (and so is the cat).  Ba-dum-bump... 

Jen - I'm also using the Garmin.  I didn't ever track steps, but we did a challenge in November and gave everyone pedometers at work (cheap ones) and then I got the 920 for Christmas (lucky guy!).  It's a bit clunky, but I now wear it as a watch (instead of just using my iPhone) and find the step counts interesting, to say the least.  That's a whole 'nuther post, but I do like the 920 (and, yes, its battery lasts close to forever)

Erin - glad you're back and able to run!  Hope the visiting goes well (visitorizing - love it).

Salty, I also really enjoy Strava for many of the reasons above.  The competitive thing is fun (yes, I do know where many of the local segments are and MIGHT ride/run/swim them harder than my workout calls for!), but the real reason is that for me, "exercise" has become a lot more than just fitness/calorie burn/training for a race/etc.  It ties me in to a community of like minded folks - and Strava is just one way (and a good one - Matt had many spot on comments on its utility) of several for me to access and tie in with that group of folks.  Cyclists, runners, triathletes - and all the different flavors of those folk, plus more.  How cool is that? 

Matt

2015-02-05 11:01 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle

This is so rad: http://www.runnersworld.com/masters-racing/2014-masters-long-distance-runners-of-the-year

A bunch of representation from my club.

In my opinion, masters runners are the epitome of success. If you are able to keep running well into your 50s, 60s, 70s (OMG 90s!) I think you are winning life. 

2015-02-05 11:08 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by popsracer
New gear is always fun.  What kind of shoes did you get?

I went with the Zoot Ultra TT 7.0
2015-02-05 11:28 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Seattle

Got to practice last night and had a roller coaster of emotions looking over the workout. It went from, "woohoo only 2 reps!" To "Woooohooo only 1500 meters!!!!" to, "Ohhhhh noooooo, 3K pace!"

The fast twitch-ers definitely laid the smack down out there. 

It's quite a thing to see someone run by you at a 4:15 pace.

Another really interesting thing to see, by the way, is how different people really do excel in different workout styles. 

2015-02-05 11:29 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

LOOK WHO'S BAAAAAACK!

Wooooo Hoooooooo!! :D 

YAY!

2015-02-05 11:31 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

This is so rad: http://www.runnersworld.com/masters-racing/2014-masters-long-distance-runners-of-the-year

In my opinion, masters runners are the epitome of success. If you are able to keep running well into your 50s, 60s, 70s (OMG 90s!) I think you are winning life. 

That is so awesome! Although the idea of having my azz handed to me by a 78 year old is terrifying, motivating and empowering.

In other news...

Anyone use Nuun?  I'm not a fan but it will be the course drink for my marathon.  I tried the lemon-lime  and this morning I found the fruit punch buried in my desk drawer (probably from the last time i tried it). Better than the lemon but couldn't do it for 26 miles. Anyone use it? Specific flavors? Worst case I'll just carry Skratch packets with me.

2015-02-05 11:37 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Got to practice last night and had a roller coaster of emotions looking over the workout. It went from, "woohoo only 2 reps!" To "Woooohooo only 1500 meters!!!!" to, "Ohhhhh noooooo, 3K pace!"

Another really interesting thing to see, by the way, is how different people really do excel in different workout styles. 

That is all so awesome. Of course me being passed at that pace would be much more dramatic than it is for you

2015-02-05 11:38 AM

User image

Seattle

That is so awesome! Although the idea of having my azz handed to me by a 78 year old is terrifying, motivating and empowering.

In other news...

Anyone use Nuun?  I'm not a fan but it will be the course drink for my marathon.  I tried the lemon-lime  and this morning I found the fruit punch buried in my desk drawer (probably from the last time i tried it). Better than the lemon but couldn't do it for 26 miles. Anyone use it? Specific flavors? Worst case I'll just carry Skratch packets with me.

Me! I like blueberry pomegranate and my very fav is strawberry lemonade. The fruit punch and tri-berry are alright, too.

I really don't like lemon lime things (as I have likely expressed) but theirs isn't too bad. Just keep in mind, it's actually a pretty reasonable sports drink that isn't all loaded down with sugar. So, it kind of takes some getting used to.

For my marathons I generally only drink water until maybe the very last 5 -10k, depending on a variety of situations. So keep in mind, you don't have to use sports drink at all if you don't want.  

2015-02-05 11:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

In other news...

Me! I like blueberry pomegranate and my very fav is strawberry lemonade. The fruit punch and tri-berry are alright, too.

I really don't like lemon lime things (as I have likely expressed) but theirs isn't too bad. Just keep in mind, it's actually a pretty reasonable sports drink that isn't all loaded down with sugar. So, it kind of takes some getting used to.

For my marathons I generally only drink water until maybe the very last 5 -10k, depending on a variety of situations. So keep in mind, you don't have to use sports drink at all if you don't want.  

Hmmm. I usually use something because I dehydrate so easily. Maybe I'll try my next couple of LSRs with "just" water.

ETA: of course I suppose I should try to find out what flavor they will have on course. It'll probably be only one or two that are prepared.

Edited by rrrunner 2015-02-05 11:48 AM
2015-02-05 12:20 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by msteiner

Interesting comments about Strava, thanks  

One last thing I forgot.  Heat maps!  I bet a heat map of your runs would look awesome.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/320678/heatmaps/18422fe7#10/32.39852/-90.17578

The heat map is awesome if you are traveling!

2015-02-05 12:23 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Jen - I'm also using the Garmin.  I didn't ever track steps, but we did a challenge in November and gave everyone pedometers at work (cheap ones) and then I got the 920 for Christmas (lucky guy!).  It's a bit clunky, but I now wear it as a watch (instead of just using my iPhone) and find the step counts interesting, to say the least.  That's a whole 'nuther post, but I do like the 920 (and, yes, its battery lasts close to forever)

To clarify, I'm using the vivofit which has a 1 year battery life.

2015-02-05 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

In other news...

I've used Nuun on the bike from time to time.  When I run I use water and whatever brand gel they are offering on course.  That way I can mix and match carrying versus taking.

2015-02-05 12:42 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

That is all so awesome. Of course me being passed at that pace would be much more dramatic than it is for you

I used to be able to run that fast...25 years ago.  For like a 1/2 mile.  That's probably an all-out sprint for me now, and I'd rip a groin muscle doing it.

2015-02-05 12:44 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Interesting comments about Strava, thanks  

One last thing I forgot.  Heat maps!  I bet a heat map of your runs would look awesome.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/320678/heatmaps/18422fe7#10/32.39852/-90.17578

The heat map is awesome if you are traveling!

Another vote here for Strava.  One of my friends is an avid mountain biker and I get to live vicariously through him

I may have raced all-out on a segment or two.  By accident, I mean. 

2015-02-05 1:00 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by popsracer New gear is always fun.  What kind of shoes did you get?

Nice.  My tri race shoes finally wore out last year and I'm in the market for a replacment.  I loved my Pearl Izumi iso transitions but may have to give the Zoots a try. 

2015-02-05 1:04 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I used to be able to run that fast...25 years ago.  For like a 1/2 mile.  That's probably an all-out sprint for me now, and I'd rip a groin muscle doing it.

The only way I'm going that fast is if I fall out of an airplane.

And congrats on your recent Tour.  How does your bike strength compare to last summer?

Edited by popsracer 2015-02-05 1:05 PM
2015-02-05 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

The only way I'm going that fast is if I fall out of an airplane.

And congrats on your recent Tour.  How does your bike strength compare to last summer?

x2

2015-02-05 2:16 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by popsracer New gear is always fun.  What kind of shoes did you get?

Sean, one of the shoe sites said to size up 1/2 size on these.  Did you find them true to size?

I like that these have 10mm offset.  The new Pearl Izumi is only 1mm.

2015-02-05 2:56 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Sean, one of the shoe sites said to size up 1/2 size on these.  Did you find them true to size?

I had read the same, but some folks said they're sized to be worn without socks, which I plan on doing. So I ordered my asics size. I'll let you know when I get them if they fit or not.
2015-02-05 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I had read the same, but some folks said they're sized to be worn without socks, which I plan on doing. So I ordered my asics size. I'll let you know when I get them if they fit or not.

A couple of years ago I raced a season with the Zoot TT 4.0, and while I tried other shoes since that one, it was my favorite shoe I wore for a long time.  Now when I run I use the Nike Free 4.0 with speed laces.  I'd bet I would be just as happy with the Zoots, but they're harder to get here, which is what prompted my switch in the first place.

2015-02-05 3:06 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

A couple of years ago I raced a season with the Zoot TT 4.0, and while I tried other shoes since that one, it was my favorite shoe I wore for a long time.  Now when I run I use the Nike Free 4.0 with speed laces.  I'd bet I would be just as happy with the Zoots, but they're harder to get here, which is what prompted my switch in the first place.

Do you even Amazon, bro?

I've gotten really used to Amazon and their awesome free returns policy. They even have fedex or whoever pick up the return at your front door. It's actually easier than finding the time to go to a store.

Glad to hear you liked them!

Edit: And they're only $70 on Amazon whereas the MSRP is $120

Edited by Jet Black 2015-02-05 3:21 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 56114 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.