BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-04 1:21 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Yesterday I went up to Middlebury, CT to check out the Quassy half course. They say it's "hilly." Well, they are right. It was me, my cousin and her DH. Poor DH got dropped about 5 miles in and made for a long day. Not to mention the road that was closed for the Boy Scout downhill derby.....it added about 1.5miles to our route to go around and ONE MORE hill. 4,554 feet over 57.5miles - that's 79.2ft/mile if you're wondering. So yeah I can see how people would call it "hilly." and I hear the run is worse. EEK!

One of the guys on here brought a military grade device (or equivalent) one time and had just over 4,000 ft on it. What part did you have to go around?

The run depends on who you ask. I actually heard a lot of people think that they thought the bike was a lot worse, but I think they were also so spent from the bike that they ended up walking a lot and didn't get the full effect. Did you get to try any of it? The first few miles are exactly where the bike starts out.

I just looked at a map so I'd remember exactly where - Where Hard Hill crosses 132, Hard Hill Road South was closed so we had to turn right and go UP 132, take a left onto Lake Road which became Nonewaug Road and merged at the bottom of Hard Hill Road South to be back on route on Nonewaug Road (near mile 44.5).

I have it in my head to not burn myself up on the bike - hopefully, I'll listen!

2015-05-04 1:33 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by popsracer

I had a really good training week but I am beginning to have doubts about my HIM particularly my bike fitness.  I think I have been lulled into a false sense of security.  I worked really hard on the trainer through the winter and on my initial outdoor rides was feeling pretty good but routes were relatively flat.  Did a 30 mile ride yesterday followed by a four mile run and it was a shock to reality.  Chose a hillier route which had some climbs similar to what I'll see in Boise and also had to deal with some strong headwinds.  I was faster than race pace on both the bike and the run but I was pretty spent.

Really, really need to find that pace on the bike that is going to allow me to run halfway descent.  Next up will be a 40 ride/6 run which I'll bring down a notch and see how that feels.  I've also set a goal which I'll practice on the next brick that none of my first three miles will be the fastest on the run.  Less than six weeks to go to get ready.  I really wish I had another month.  I really hate cramming for early season events.

Steve, I did Boise last year.  I train regularly on hills (don't have a choice, it's not what you would call flat here), but I had no issues with the climbs.  it was the wind.  So good that you got some training in with that already!  It impacted the swim and the bike, actually.  Have a look at my RR if you want (you read it last year, but might be more relevant now).  The run is flatty flat flat which is good, and it is along the river, so it is cooler (a good thing since it was so hot last year).  I think they are starting a little earlier than noon though so maybe won't get as hot for you.

And I HATE the wind.  My time goal is pretty modest compared to my training times but I really just want to beat the goal I set out to do six years ago when I first did this race.  Horrible weather killed that goal.  Tried again a few years later and the bike course was shortened due to bad weather.  This event just has me so freaked out because I've had such bad luck there.  Last time I was there I swore I'd never be back.

I usually keep times goals to myself for the most part but maybe by stating them I'll feel better.  I want to break six hours.  Breakdown is 40 minute swim, 3 hour ride, 2 hour run and the rest for transitions and cushion if I need it.  I'm swimming pretty comfortable 2100 yards in the pool just under 35 minutes, ride pace on Saturday was 19.2 mph, and open HM time this winter was 1:42.  Should be pretty doable right?

2015-05-04 1:39 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I had a really good training week but I am beginning to have doubts about my HIM particularly my bike fitness.  I think I have been lulled into a false sense of security.  I worked really hard on the trainer through the winter and on my initial outdoor rides was feeling pretty good but routes were relatively flat.  Did a 30 mile ride yesterday followed by a four mile run and it was a shock to reality.  Chose a hillier route which had some climbs similar to what I'll see in Boise and also had to deal with some strong headwinds.  I was faster than race pace on both the bike and the run but I was pretty spent.

Really, really need to find that pace on the bike that is going to allow me to run halfway descent.  Next up will be a 40 ride/6 run which I'll bring down a notch and see how that feels.  I've also set a goal which I'll practice on the next brick that none of my first three miles will be the fastest on the run.  Less than six weeks to go to get ready.  I really wish I had another month.  I really hate cramming for early season events.

Steve, I did Boise last year.  I train regularly on hills (don't have a choice, it's not what you would call flat here), but I had no issues with the climbs.  it was the wind.  So good that you got some training in with that already!  It impacted the swim and the bike, actually.  Have a look at my RR if you want (you read it last year, but might be more relevant now).  The run is flatty flat flat which is good, and it is along the river, so it is cooler (a good thing since it was so hot last year).  I think they are starting a little earlier than noon though so maybe won't get as hot for you.

And I HATE the wind.  My time goal is pretty modest compared to my training times but I really just want to beat the goal I set out to do six years ago when I first did this race.  Horrible weather killed that goal.  Tried again a few years later and the bike course was shortened due to bad weather.  This event just has me so freaked out because I've had such bad luck there.  Last time I was there I swore I'd never be back.

I usually keep times goals to myself for the most part but maybe by stating them I'll feel better.  I want to break six hours.  Breakdown is 40 minute swim, 3 hour ride, 2 hour run and the rest for transitions and cushion if I need it.  I'm swimming pretty comfortable 2100 yards in the pool just under 35 minutes, ride pace on Saturday was 19.2 mph, and open HM time this winter was 1:42.  Should be pretty doable right?

sounds like you just need to be talked off the ledge - I get that way.

YEP! Doable and you'll be fine!! You still have time Relax!
2015-05-04 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Steve, the wind can be as much a mental drain as a physical one. One of my primary training routes is my ride home from work, which is generally wind facing. A few years back, bryancd had recapped St. George after a fairly (ok, really) nasty day. He wrote of the bike and how he worked through it, both mentally and physically. It may give you some tools for you to use.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=439023&page=1#

The main thing I continue to use in training to this day is to stay low and stay as smooth as possible.

2015-05-04 2:20 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by cdban66

Steve, the wind can be as much a mental drain as a physical one. One of my primary training routes is my ride home from work, which is generally wind facing. A few years back, bryancd had recapped St. George after a fairly (ok, really) nasty day. He wrote of the bike and how he worked through it, both mentally and physically. It may give you some tools for you to use.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=439023&page=1#

The main thing I continue to use in training to this day is to stay low and stay as smooth as possible.

Thanks Chris.  I remember that thread and it is most helpful to review thoughts and strategies on dealing with adverse conditions.  I guess it is one of those things you have to come to grips with anytime you set a specific time goal in a swirling, unpredictable environment.  Long course racing is the worst because you only get a few times a year at best to have a go at it.  I have done four HIM's and every one has had adverse conditions over and above what is typical for the given course.  I fret so because I feel cursed at this distance.

2015-05-04 2:23 PM

User image

Master

If I did 3:17 on the bike in wind, you can totally do 3 hours, I am not a strong biker.  I was on a roadie too.  The swim--well, if it is like last year, it was really choppy, but looks like you have lots of buffer in there.  I think you will be fine. 

2015-05-04 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

Thanks Chris.  I remember that thread and it is most helpful to review thoughts and strategies on dealing with adverse conditions.  I guess it is one of those things you have to come to grips with anytime you set a specific time goal in a swirling, unpredictable environment.  Long course racing is the worst because you only get a few times a year at best to have a go at it.  I have done four HIM's and every one has had adverse conditions over and above what is typical for the given course.  I fret so because I feel cursed at this distance.

I feel for you, and agree it can be especially tough given the constraints that long course puts on a person. The more I race, the more I realize the role that the mental and emotional side plays in it all. We can prepare ourselves for the physical to some degree, but it kinda goes out the window to some degree in adverse conditions.  I can only imagine how much it plays with the mind in long course.

2015-05-04 3:57 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Alright last crash post.  Someone got video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je4JVrf4pA0

I'm #270.  You can see me still sliding in the slow motion part at 47seconds.

2015-05-04 4:05 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Denver, CO

Yikes, MR Matt.  I believe Darren might describe that as "azz over tea kettle".  Glad you didn't break anything other than your helmet!!

2015-05-04 5:00 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by msteiner

And that is precisely why I will never do this type of racing. 

2015-05-04 6:29 PM

User image

During my ride on Saturday one of the guys I swim with at Masters zoomed past me. He stopped and waited for me at a stop sign about a mile down the road. At this point I was not in good spirits and was about to pull the plug on my training. Him being him, he lifted my spirits and road with me for the next 25 minutes, pulling me along and encouraging me. When it started to sprinkle and the clouds were getting darker, I told him I was done for the day. He jokingly said, "You need to learn to ride in the rain." I agreed but responded that today was not the day because I wasn't mentally strong enough so we parted company and I rode back to my car.

20 minutes after I left him he crashed and no one came upon him for almost an hour. He has multiple facial and skull fractures, bleeding on the brain, a concussion, and horrible road rash. He spent Saturday night and Sunday in ICU but was moved to a regular room today. He even passed the cognitive test and while he has a long road ahead of him, his prognosis is very good.

Me being me, I have the guilt and the "if only" thoughts - if only I would have stayed with him he wouldn't have been going so fast. If only I would have stayed with him I could have gotten help sooner, etc.

If you could send a few positive thoughts to John I would greatly appreciate it. He is a person who is always upbeat, helpful, and supportive and now he needs all the positive thoughts he can get because he's pretty down right now. Thanks!

2015-05-04 8:36 PM
in reply to: #5112924

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Sending all my good vibes, thoughts and karma his way.

That's a terrible thing to happen. Period. I'm glad his prognosis is good!

You also should know that you had nothing to do with the accident - no what ifs about it. We never know what the future will hold or how it might have unfolded differently, but you certainly did nothing to cause the accident and shouldn't feel guilty (I get what you're saying - probably even natural to feel that way, but I don't see where you've done anything but care about a friend who sadly got hurt). I feel bad for your friend, and can imagine myself in his shoes all too easily (we probably all can - and still often ride in the rain), but you weren't the cause and can be there for him now...

Wishing you both a speedy return to normal.
2015-05-04 9:54 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master

Originally posted by fortissimo During my ride on Saturday one of the guys I swim with at Masters zoomed past me. He stopped and waited for me at a stop sign about a mile down the road. At this point I was not in good spirits and was about to pull the plug on my training. Him being him, he lifted my spirits and road with me for the next 25 minutes, pulling me along and encouraging me. When it started to sprinkle and the clouds were getting darker, I told him I was done for the day. He jokingly said, "You need to learn to ride in the rain." I agreed but responded that today was not the day because I wasn't mentally strong enough so we parted company and I rode back to my car. 20 minutes after I left him he crashed and no one came upon him for almost an hour. He has multiple facial and skull fractures, bleeding on the brain, a concussion, and horrible road rash. He spent Saturday night and Sunday in ICU but was moved to a regular room today. He even passed the cognitive test and while he has a long road ahead of him, his prognosis is very good. Me being me, I have the guilt and the "if only" thoughts - if only I would have stayed with him he wouldn't have been going so fast. If only I would have stayed with him I could have gotten help sooner, etc. If you could send a few positive thoughts to John I would greatly appreciate it. He is a person who is always upbeat, helpful, and supportive and now he needs all the positive thoughts he can get because he's pretty down right now. Thanks!

Wow. That's just awful! Your "survivor's" guilt is understandable and normal. But he sounds like a really good guy, and I bet he isn't blaming you, so please don't blame yourself. Excellent that he's progressing well and more good thoughts sent his way.

2015-05-05 6:08 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by fortissimo

During my ride on Saturday one of the guys I swim with at Masters zoomed past me. He stopped and waited for me at a stop sign about a mile down the road. At this point I was not in good spirits and was about to pull the plug on my training. Him being him, he lifted my spirits and road with me for the next 25 minutes, pulling me along and encouraging me. When it started to sprinkle and the clouds were getting darker, I told him I was done for the day. He jokingly said, "You need to learn to ride in the rain." I agreed but responded that today was not the day because I wasn't mentally strong enough so we parted company and I rode back to my car.

20 minutes after I left him he crashed and no one came upon him for almost an hour. He has multiple facial and skull fractures, bleeding on the brain, a concussion, and horrible road rash. He spent Saturday night and Sunday in ICU but was moved to a regular room today. He even passed the cognitive test and while he has a long road ahead of him, his prognosis is very good.

Me being me, I have the guilt and the "if only" thoughts - if only I would have stayed with him he wouldn't have been going so fast. If only I would have stayed with him I could have gotten help sooner, etc.

If you could send a few positive thoughts to John I would greatly appreciate it. He is a person who is always upbeat, helpful, and supportive and now he needs all the positive thoughts he can get because he's pretty down right now. Thanks!

awww don't blame yourself. He's going to be ok!! Go visit as soon as they let you - I'm sure he'll tell you it's ok (maybe you need to hear it from him too).
2015-05-05 6:49 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5 Sending all my good vibes, thoughts and karma his way. That's a terrible thing to happen. Period. I'm glad his prognosis is good! You also should know that you had nothing to do with the accident - no what ifs about it. We never know what the future will hold or how it might have unfolded differently, but you certainly did nothing to cause the accident and shouldn't feel guilty (I get what you're saying - probably even natural to feel that way, but I don't see where you've done anything but care about a friend who sadly got hurt). I feel bad for your friend, and can imagine myself in his shoes all too easily (we probably all can - and still often ride in the rain), but you weren't the cause and can be there for him now... Wishing you both a speedy return to normal.

Totally agree with everything above!  Wishing your friend a very speedy recovery!

2015-05-05 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Ouch. You are both certainly in my thoughts, Robin. I hope that y'all are healing soon.

2015-05-05 8:33 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by fortissimo During my ride on Saturday one of the guys I swim with at Masters zoomed past me. He stopped and waited for me at a stop sign about a mile down the road. At this point I was not in good spirits and was about to pull the plug on my training. Him being him, he lifted my spirits and road with me for the next 25 minutes, pulling me along and encouraging me. When it started to sprinkle and the clouds were getting darker, I told him I was done for the day. He jokingly said, "You need to learn to ride in the rain." I agreed but responded that today was not the day because I wasn't mentally strong enough so we parted company and I rode back to my car. 20 minutes after I left him he crashed and no one came upon him for almost an hour. He has multiple facial and skull fractures, bleeding on the brain, a concussion, and horrible road rash. He spent Saturday night and Sunday in ICU but was moved to a regular room today. He even passed the cognitive test and while he has a long road ahead of him, his prognosis is very good. Me being me, I have the guilt and the "if only" thoughts - if only I would have stayed with him he wouldn't have been going so fast. If only I would have stayed with him I could have gotten help sooner, etc. If you could send a few positive thoughts to John I would greatly appreciate it. He is a person who is always upbeat, helpful, and supportive and now he needs all the positive thoughts he can get because he's pretty down right now. Thanks!

Wow. That's just awful! Your "survivor's" guilt is understandable and normal. But he sounds like a really good guy, and I bet he isn't blaming you, so please don't blame yourself. Excellent that he's progressing well and more good thoughts sent his way.

I agree with Matt and Erin on this.  I wish him a speedy recovery as well.  Don't blame yourself for this.  We can't control what happens to everyone.

2015-05-05 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Lots of positive thoughts for John! 

2015-05-05 9:37 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jmkizer

Lots of positive thoughts for John! 

And for you.  ((((Hugs))))

2015-05-05 9:54 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

THIS.  Considering the large amount of racers down and equipment flying it is a wonder you remained as relatively unhurt as you did.  I hope your recovery is going well, ouch.

2015-05-05 9:56 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Oooh, wow.  So sorry to hear about your friend.  Healing, good thoughts coming his way and yours.

2015-05-05 11:44 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Well, I survived the Flying Pig and the hills of Cincinnati.  Here is the race report 

2015-05-05 12:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Sorry it went down like that.

(Pun!)

2015-05-05 12:11 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by melbo55

Oooh, wow.  So sorry to hear about your friend.  Healing, good thoughts coming his way and yours.

I had a great aunt (I think) suffer a moderate stroke walking back from a neighbor's place a couple days ago.  She didn't make it inside, and was outside all night, I think, until she was found in the morning.  She crawled into her car overhang because it rained a little.  She's in the hospital now, and is talking normally.  Her left side is still weak.

Both stories are sad because the person had to wait to be found.

2015-05-05 12:34 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by melbo55

I had a great aunt (I think) suffer a moderate stroke walking back from a neighbor's place a couple days ago.  She didn't make it inside, and was outside all night, I think, until she was found in the morning.  She crawled into her car overhang because it rained a little.  She's in the hospital now, and is talking normally.  Her left side is still weak.

Both stories are sad because the person had to wait to be found.

Sorry to hear about your great aunt (?), Tom.  Hope she recovers quickly too.  I agree, the delay factor adds an extra dimension to the tragedy.

My coworker's neighbor, who is about our age, died of a heart attack over the weekend.  He was having arm pain and told his wife not to call an ambulance.  He left behind a 9 year-old daughter.  Please please, friends, although we athletes are generally at lower risk of these kinds of health crises, know the symptoms and get help if needed!!!

Bleh.  It's grey and rainy here and will be all week.  Plus some of our students, faculty, and staff are testifying in the Aurora theater shooting trial--heavy stuff indeed.  I could really use a pick-me-up.  Anybody have any good news or funny stuff to report?

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 16026 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29495 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12409 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 69156 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 57538 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.