BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-01-04 5:29 PM
in reply to: Superfunkyfresh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016

Originally posted by Superfunkyfresh
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Lighttower I have a quick question. Can anyone suggest a good hardware for strava? I would like to record my swims too.

I have a 920XT but I actually use an old Garmin Swim in the pool.  The Vivoactive might work but I'm not sure that it has a swim drill mode.

We have a Manatee Strava group.  Let Chris or me know and we can add you. 

https://www.strava.com/athletes/6017648Coul I be added please?

Done!

2016-01-04 5:30 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by rrrunner

Now that Canada geese have taken over all of the ponds in my area, Canada appears to be intent on sharing their air with us.  It's gonna be quite cold for my morning run tomorrow (low 20s (-6C), cold by NC standards. What are you favorite cold weather running tights?

My fave are my CW-X (I even received a new pair for Christmas). They are supportive for my ITBS and warm. win-win!

I have a pair of CW-X insulators that I like pretty well.  I thought I'd ask around before obtaining a second pair.  Two pair of heavier weight tights/pants plus laundry should be ok.  So far we have a vote for CW-X tights and one for Brooks pants.

I abstain from voting

Seems I did, but it was discounted.

There are a number of things that should work well though.

I did not discount your vote, Ben! I have a pair of Saucony run pants but they don't seem like they will be heavy enough with the wind that is in the forecast.  I could layer a lighter tight underneath them but that seems like A LOT of clothing.  Am I wrong?

It probably would be a lot. There might be some variation in the pant types too, though mine don't seem that heavy. I'll use them down to maybe 5-10 or so. Then underneath may have some shorts or something like tri shorts plus long smartwool socks. Like ski or snowboard type. I run better when there isn't something hold on the knees so tend to beef up the shorts some more first and then go to the tights when it's really down low. Got a feeling I might handle the cold better though.

Keep in mind that it was 70 here last week.  I have had no time to acclimate at all!

That just sets up for a response of HTFU.

I wasn't thinking of acclimation yet with earlier responses. With it now, I'm usually set up pretty well for the winter if there is one good run fairly early on that is rather cold. Not going underdressed, just wearing what I think should work when I'm more used to the conditions. Things tend to be fine after that. YMMV.

I'll remember that in the morning, HTFU!

2016-01-04 5:32 PM
in reply to: emcmino

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by emcmino My name is Eric and I have completed 11 or 12 triathlons in the past. Mostly Sprint or Super Sprint with 1 Olympic thrown in. I have always been active and played tennis in College. I was a pretty decent runner when I was younger and would ride my bike everywhere when I was a kid. I decided I wanted to try triathlon and while training for my first sprint I was hit by a Car on my bike (He decided to turn right even though I was there). It ended up breaking both elbows, my left wrist, and messing up my left leg really bad. The doctors said I would never be able to run again, and would hopefully be able to put off a knee replacement until I was around 40. I still really struggle on the run, but I have been able to do it, but I can not train as much as I would like, but sometimes you just need to be happy you can do it at all. FAMILY STATUS: I have a partner of 13 years, but not married yet and no pets, even though she asks all the time. CURRENT TRAINING: I have been out with a back injury since September, so just some swimming. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I need to take off a little weight and would like to have a group to keep me accountable and hopefully meet some like minded friends. Hopefully I would be a good Manatee because I have some experience, but still understand the challenges.

We're a Mecca for the Chicagoland area athletes as well!

2016-01-04 5:33 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr I don't think I've added Lucy to the gallery.

LUCY!

2016-01-04 5:38 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Wow, pod-2016 is off to a blazing start.  I'm back in and will post bio soon.  The last three weeks were extremely rough so just getting back into the swing of things.   

2016-01-04 5:50 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Cypress, Texas
So this group already exceeds the amount of total posts we had for the whole year in the 2015 mentor group I joined last year. (Where our mentor disappeared midway through)

2016-01-04 5:53 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by johnthecat So where is the Pets gallery? I did find the bike one.

https://goo.gl/photos/HQdz43BBuxQHpV5a9

I am woefully behind!

2016-01-04 5:57 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

Holy Moly. I am gonna be left in the dust with you folks. Getting here once a day is gonna leave me a lot of catching up.

Here is the promised bio:

NAME: Robin

STORY: I am 55. I am an Adult Onset Athlete. I had been active hiking, some kayaking and mountain biking but never, ever ran, only swam to play around and would NEVER ride on the road. . About age 48 I decided I did not want to be as large as I was so I started to loose some wt. In the process I started running. Somehow someone said triathlon and I found BT and started lurking. I started with a mentor group and did  my first sprint that year. I have been bumbling around here since doing an occasional sprint or oly race and some running events.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two grown step-kids. Three cats and one 10-yr old German Shepherd who is the best dog ever. Sorry all, she is!

CURRENT TRAINING: I just started this week with a beginner HIM training plan for my late May HIM.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Two Oly's, one sprint and my first HIM. Several running events are thrown in there, too.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: To once again get rid of this wt that hangs around and  I just took early retirement so I want to keep healthy to play around like a kid and keep being active for many, many, many years.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Even though I do not like pop-tarts, I will hoard them for others.

FWIW, I am from "more old people" area in Fla but now live in WNC in the mountains.

I'm sorry I have the best dog ever and he just happens to be a 10 year old german shepherd!  What part of western north carolina?  I have been spending a lot of time in Bryson City and am sort of kind of looking for a vacation cabin there.  Although I have 2 friends with cabins there that I can stay at, so I'm not as desperate as I should be!

2016-01-04 6:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by johnthecat So where is the Pets gallery? I did find the bike one.

https://goo.gl/photos/HQdz43BBuxQHpV5a9

I am woefully behind!

how is Gunnar missing?!

eta: why does BT hate my iPad all of a sudden?!!

Edited by amd723 2016-01-04 6:11 PM

Attachments
----------------
image.jpeg (666KB - 5 downloads)
2016-01-04 6:11 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

i'll keep trying, this time with the laptop!

UGH!!!

Edited by amd723 2016-01-04 6:14 PM
2016-01-04 6:11 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Cypress, Texas
Here are a few pictures of our latest family addition Toby. Some friends rescued him off a freeway after an 18-wheeler literally drove over him without hitting him.

(Toby in Container.jpg)

(20151124_192600.jpg)

(20151129_223348.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Toby in Container.jpg (153KB - 3 downloads)
20151124_192600.jpg (144KB - 4 downloads)
20151129_223348.jpg (107KB - 3 downloads)

2016-01-04 6:17 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
2016-01-04 6:33 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
My fur-baby is in my IMWI race report (don't know how to get just the photo?)

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...
2016-01-04 6:40 PM
in reply to: #5157817

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
I am ashamed to admit that Gunnar, Zoe, and I believe Smoky are all missing.
2016-01-04 6:43 PM
in reply to: RookeyDavid

User image

Expert
Originally posted by RookeyDavid

Hi everyone!

I was previously a member of Baowolf's winter training group, but thought I'd expand my reach to the Manatees this season!

NAME: David A
STORY: I'm on a long journey that started at 262lbs as a non-swimmer, smoker and couch potato roughly 2 years ago. Fast forward to today, I have completed a couple of events (with the largest being an Oly) and am at 194lbs. I have just undertaken the biggest challenge ever in my life, though... I have signed up for the Louisville IM later this year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Louisville, KY Full Ironman (Oct 9th), Potentially Boulder Sunset Sprint/Oly to warm up

I'm doing IM Louisville too! I'm glad someone else in the group is in it. It will be my first iron distance race.
2016-01-04 6:46 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

I'm trying to get motivated after taking a break, so when Janyne suggested I join the group, I decided to take her up on it!

NAME: Maria

STORY: I started training/racing in 2009.  I raced heavily for 5 years then burned out. I took last year off, lost fitness and gained weight, so I'm planning on a couple of races this year to get me moving again.

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm beginning to build back up after a year off and weight gain, so it is slow going. Focused on running for now, strength training, and some spin classes.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:
March - 5K
April - Half Marathon
June - Sprint Tri and/or Double Sprint
October - Half Iron

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I want to get into a manageable routine that will keep me fit but not burn me out.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I will be a good Manatee because I have a lot of experience to share.

2016-01-04 6:54 PM
in reply to: IronOx

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

We Canucks are taking over!!  Justin - where in Texas are you?  

I'm such a weather wimp that I've actually suggested to Tony that if we move ANYWHERE from Austin, it'll have to be FL, because I can't handle winter anymore!  Not that I ever could, but now - definite NO to winter.  NO!  

I'm in Dallas. Where are the other Texans in this thread from? My first 70.3 was in Austin back in November. Some of the hills down there were killers!

I'm in Austin & I also did the 70.3... it wasn't a stellar day for me, but we won't talk about that right now...  

I *think* there's also Katy represented, and there was another Manatee in Austin, but I don't know where he went?  Are there other Texas Manatees??  Where in Canada are you from??  I'm from Vancouver & miss it a LOT, but not so much during the wet winter...  :D 

Snowed here this morning Monica

I posted this for Monica cause I am in Vancouver you yahoos.

She DID live in Chicago for a few years. 

2016-01-04 6:57 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by emcmino My name is Eric and I have completed 11 or 12 triathlons in the past. Mostly Sprint or Super Sprint with 1 Olympic thrown in. I have always been active and played tennis in College. I was a pretty decent runner when I was younger and would ride my bike everywhere when I was a kid. I decided I wanted to try triathlon and while training for my first sprint I was hit by a Car on my bike (He decided to turn right even though I was there). It ended up breaking both elbows, my left wrist, and messing up my left leg really bad. The doctors said I would never be able to run again, and would hopefully be able to put off a knee replacement until I was around 40. I still really struggle on the run, but I have been able to do it, but I can not train as much as I would like, but sometimes you just need to be happy you can do it at all. FAMILY STATUS: I have a partner of 13 years, but not married yet and no pets, even though she asks all the time. CURRENT TRAINING: I have been out with a back injury since September, so just some swimming. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I need to take off a little weight and would like to have a group to keep me accountable and hopefully meet some like minded friends. Hopefully I would be a good Manatee because I have some experience, but still understand the challenges.

We're a Mecca for the Chicagoland area athletes as well!

A number of people can take advantage of a trek travel trip that's somewhat in the area. Sure there are other things too.

2016-01-04 6:59 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rrrunner

Now that Canada geese have taken over all of the ponds in my area, Canada appears to be intent on sharing their air with us.  It's gonna be quite cold for my morning run tomorrow (low 20s (-6C), cold by NC standards. What are you favorite cold weather running tights?

My fave are my CW-X (I even received a new pair for Christmas). They are supportive for my ITBS and warm. win-win!

I have a pair of CW-X insulators that I like pretty well.  I thought I'd ask around before obtaining a second pair.  Two pair of heavier weight tights/pants plus laundry should be ok.  So far we have a vote for CW-X tights and one for Brooks pants.

I abstain from voting

Seems I did, but it was discounted.

There are a number of things that should work well though.

I did not discount your vote, Ben! I have a pair of Saucony run pants but they don't seem like they will be heavy enough with the wind that is in the forecast.  I could layer a lighter tight underneath them but that seems like A LOT of clothing.  Am I wrong?

It probably would be a lot. There might be some variation in the pant types too, though mine don't seem that heavy. I'll use them down to maybe 5-10 or so. Then underneath may have some shorts or something like tri shorts plus long smartwool socks. Like ski or snowboard type. I run better when there isn't something hold on the knees so tend to beef up the shorts some more first and then go to the tights when it's really down low. Got a feeling I might handle the cold better though.

Keep in mind that it was 70 here last week.  I have had no time to acclimate at all!

That just sets up for a response of HTFU.

I wasn't thinking of acclimation yet with earlier responses. With it now, I'm usually set up pretty well for the winter if there is one good run fairly early on that is rather cold. Not going underdressed, just wearing what I think should work when I'm more used to the conditions. Things tend to be fine after that. YMMV.

I'll remember that in the morning, HTFU!

More for others, still stay smart as that is cold enough to hurt. Being able to adjust on the fly is good. Like with ventilation zippers and muliposition face masks/hoods.

2016-01-04 7:02 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by johnthecat So this group already exceeds the amount of total posts we had for the whole year in the 2015 mentor group I joined last year. (Where our mentor disappeared midway through)

fyi, getting 350-400 pages of posts throughout the year is fairly normal for this group. You've been warned.

2016-01-04 7:09 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by CRFTX2001 I have a few questions about Strava. 1.What is it? What does it do? 2.How do I set up an account? 3.How do I join the Manatees group? Thanks
It's like facebook for exercisers. Just go to strava.com and setup an account. Chris can add you to the manatees. Follow us other manatees and you'll see our workouts pop up when we do them. You can link strava to your garmin account so that the workouts are automatically loaded into strava from garmin.

I have my account set that if you want to follow me you need to send a request.  Manatees will gladly be accepted as friends!

A number of the manatees do this. Mostly to keep off people we have no idea who they are. People we do are generally readily accepted.

The FB comparison is fairly close with the following of others as you have a feed that lists the workouts of everyone you follow, some groups to join. There are also some challenges, like monthly mileage or elevation gain. For people with any sense of competitiveness, the Segments feature is a big draw. It's probably easier to just go look at it, but it uses the GPS gathered from workouts and takes the bests efforts over a section of roadway and puts up a list. Fastest will be the KOM or QOM (King/Queen of the Mountain). It's crazy fun trying to get them at times.

Strava has also been very useful for scouting routes and race courses. Either by people having done it, making a segment of it, or through the route mapping. Every once in awhile you might find some big names coming through or find some other studs in the area. I overlap a lot with Andrew Starykowicz.

Edited by brigby1 2016-01-04 7:14 PM

2016-01-04 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

If it helps to warm you up. our over night minimum was a balmy 79 (26C) and today we are heading for another 100+ (38). The dogs sure didn't like walking this morning because it was really humid to go with that.
2016-01-04 7:49 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Expert
I made my request to join the team on Strava. For you Texan's you will find an entry from last week. I did a lap around AT&T Stadium while I waited for my oldest Daughter's to pick up their tickets for the Cotton Bowl.

On the electronics side, I have a Timex Ironman GPS watch that I hate, so I mostly use my iphone and the Strava app. The problem is battery, my iphone dies 83 miles into a century ride last year.

I'm breaking the thread, but I prefer tights I have a UA pair, but I have 3 teen aged daughters and I wife (so yes, I am wrong a profound amount of time). So for winter races and when the family is home I have a pair of Nike running pants.

Did someone say something about Twitter?
2016-01-04 9:00 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Cypress, Texas
Originally posted by JBacarella

On the electronics side, I have a Timex Ironman GPS watch that I hate, so I mostly use my iphone and the Strava app. The problem is battery, my iphone dies 83 miles into a century ride last year.

It adds a little extra weight, but you could always take a power bank with you to keep your phone charged.
2016-01-04 9:06 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by ceilidh

Holy Moly. I am gonna be left in the dust with you folks. Getting here once a day is gonna leave me a lot of catching up.

Here is the promised bio:

NAME: Robin

STORY: I am 55. I am an Adult Onset Athlete. I had been active hiking, some kayaking and mountain biking but never, ever ran, only swam to play around and would NEVER ride on the road. . About age 48 I decided I did not want to be as large as I was so I started to loose some wt. In the process I started running. Somehow someone said triathlon and I found BT and started lurking. I started with a mentor group and did  my first sprint that year. I have been bumbling around here since doing an occasional sprint or oly race and some running events.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two grown step-kids. Three cats and one 10-yr old German Shepherd who is the best dog ever. Sorry all, she is!

CURRENT TRAINING: I just started this week with a beginner HIM training plan for my late May HIM.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Two Oly's, one sprint and my first HIM. Several running events are thrown in there, too.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: To once again get rid of this wt that hangs around and  I just took early retirement so I want to keep healthy to play around like a kid and keep being active for many, many, many years.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Even though I do not like pop-tarts, I will hoard them for others.

FWIW, I am from "more old people" area in Fla but now live in WNC in the mountains.

I'm sorry I have the best dog ever and he just happens to be a 10 year old german shepherd!  What part of western north carolina?  I have been spending a lot of time in Bryson City and am sort of kind of looking for a vacation cabin there.  Although I have 2 friends with cabins there that I can stay at, so I'm not as desperate as I should be!

Oh don't be sorry you have the second best dog! I am on the other side of Asheville. Actually where the mountains start. Bryson City is a wonderful place. Spent a lot of time at Nantahala and Tsali among others. Friends cabins are better than yours. Much cheaper in the long run.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 959 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.