BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-07-06 8:20 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed
Sometimes I just swim for a period of time (when left to my own devices) with the goal of acclimatizing to cold water, a new wetsuit, race conditions, etc. or just enjoying a swim at a new venue on vacation. At others (when given a workout by my coach) I might do some "sets" like one minute faster, one minute easy. I just guess by figuring out my strokes per minute )which varies a bit depending on pool, fresh water, or salt water, wetsuit or not) and counting, or by swimming at different effort levels between various buoys in the lake. (I know roughly how far apart they are.)

As for pool swimming, it depends. I almost always do a structured workout; prior to getting a coach I often used those from Sara McLarty's website. I also have a few favorites from BT and other sites, magazine articles, books, etc. that I do when I don't have anything specific I need to do. With my coach's program, most of my repeats are 100's and 200's, but I do some shorter, faster stuff periodically (25m-75m repeats), sometimes as part of the warmup and sometimes as main set. It's also pretty common for a workout to mix some longer, less intense stuff (400-800m), often pulling with paddles, with shorter, faster repeats (50-200m).

Once in a while I will do a longer continuous swim of 1000-2000m, usually a kind of "fartlek" workout where every 3rd or 4th 25 or 50m is harder than the rest. The latter can be an effective way to get in a good workout if one's pool time is really limited. But I would not recommend this to someone without solid form and good endurance. My swim profile is probably a bit different than many triathletes--swimming since childhood, about eight years of competitive youth swimming. I've never been super-fast and always been a much stronger distance swimmer than sprinter. My form is a lot better when I do long swims at moderate effort than when I try to "sprint". I think the latter just doesn't come naturally and, because I was moved up to the distances at a young age (swimming against older kids, because I could score more points that way than in sprints with my own AG, where the team's talent was deeper), maybe I never developed proper technique for it. As I recall in HS there really wasn't a huge difference between my best 100m and my pace per 100m for my best 500m!

Guessing that for most adult-onset swimmers, shorter repeats (50's, 100's) with good form would be best; maybe occasionally swimming the race distance continuously as the race approaches, mainly for confidence and pacing purposes.

2017-07-06 8:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Originally posted by marysia83

Sorry for coming back to this once more.... But I need moral support...
So this Saturday will be my first trail run. I did some reading on couple of runners' forums and most people said it's crazy difficult. So I basically am jumping straight into a very deep waters.
My co-worker, marathon runner, told me as long as I feel ready for a regular HM distance, I should be fine, just take it slow and careful. I am also repeating Ben's earlier advice. Watch for roots, watch for rocks/stones, take it easy going downhill....

Attached is the elevation that scares the sh$%^& out of me, but my approach is to just take it slow and not think about the pace/speed. Anything else anyone wants to add...?
I will have regular running shoes, nothing trail-specific.

Love trail running! I got my triathlon start with Xterra races, which are off-road races. My favorite kind.

Running trails, especially on our sketchy courses, I try not to lock out my knees, and my strides are shorter to pick my way carefully through rocks, roots and such. We also have slick mud, so shorter strides help me keep my center of gravity lower than normal to catch myself if I lose my balance.

A hasher/frequent trail runner friend told me once that if my running up a hill isn't that much faster than if I were to walk, then walk it with a purpose. Conserves energy, and that way your pace doesn't drastically reduce after you clear it trying to recover from running up.

Going down hill I do more of a side shuffle down, especially if it's steep and gravely, or muddy. If you end up going down, you have your weight on your back leg and will likely be able to catch your fall with your one hand that's behind you. Trail shoes with some good traction will help you stay on your feet.

And, have a lot of fun!!!

Loving the feedback on the swimming. When I'm on it with the training, I normally do two short swims during the week that include drills that come whatever plan I'm following, then one longish open water swim during the weekend.

TGIF, folks! I've got a bike "race" Sunday.

Edited by Blanda 2017-07-06 8:23 PM
2017-07-06 8:23 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TXTriRook  I'm not sure how you think just doing 50's will get you in good Olympic swim shape. I feel a lot more exhausted after swimming longer sets vs just doing shorter ones and after all there are no breaks in an Olympic swim. I agree that for form/technique it's easier to get it right just doing 50's or 100's but just like biking and running, personally I feel I need some long sets to build endurance.

Careful there, you're putting words in people's mouths and creating some strawman arguments.

It won't be "just" 50's every time, but a multitude of intervals, generally 200 or less. I've done lots of everything in that range except 175, and 125's would only fit in as "some". (those are weird to keep track of)

There was no stipulation about never ever swimming longer, just that it's been done (kept short) and done well with it. My statement was going long was overrated. That does not equate to no value whatsoever.

It's vital to learn how to swim well. Equating that with being gentle and delicate in the water is not at all what's being said. These short interval workouts can be (and generally should be) brutal to get through. Not so much to beat yourself up, but because trying to go faster is a good way to learn how to go faster. Read through some of this when you get a chance. Note that those are long course athletes doing lots of 50's for their main sets.

Optimizing is also something that gets overrated, and here refers to optimizing for a specific race or distance. Note, that still doesn't mean of no value. Much of the time for swim training should be spent making yourself as fast as possible. It should only take a few swims leading into the event to really get used to whatever it is you're doing. I've seen "some" come up before in other discussions, but it turns out to be something like weekly. Way too much for someone swimming 1-3x a week. Get faster first. Develop something to optimize.

Good read, thanks for sharing. Didn't mean to offend, just catching up on the thread here and was getting the impression that 50's was the way to a successful Olympic swim. As an adult onset and very mediocre (probably bad but I'll call it mediocre) swimmer myself, I've found that swimming a mix of long and short has worked the best for me both to build form and strength but also endurance.

No worries. 

2017-07-06 8:36 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83 Sorry for coming back to this once more.... But I need moral support... So this Saturday will be my first trail run. I did some reading on couple of runners' forums and most people said it's crazy difficult. So I basically am jumping straight into a very deep waters. My co-worker, marathon runner, told me as long as I feel ready for a regular HM distance, I should be fine, just take it slow and careful. I am also repeating Ben's earlier advice. Watch for roots, watch for rocks/stones, take it easy going downhill.... Attached is the elevation that scares the sh$%^& out of me, but my approach is to just take it slow and not think about the pace/speed. Anything else anyone wants to add...? I will have regular running shoes, nothing trail-specific.

Keep your wits about you and your pride in check and you'll be ok. Let other people do their thing and you stick to yours. Generally stay light on your feet and keep some momentum going (big bounding steps aren't light). I've found in more technical runs & rides that I'm not necessarily as aerobically challenged in these (as compared to a similar road duration) for several reasons. One is some of the support and balance areas tire more quickly. Since they're smaller, they don't demand the same oxygen or other energy as the main movers. The other is that skill tends to decline as you tire. There is a lot more thinking going on, so can't push things quite as deep as I may have otherwise. These other things tend to compensate and make the adventure quite tiresome even though it feels somewhat different.

I would just go enjoy being out there as opposed to trying to drill it, coming in completely spent. Something like one of Adrienne's run ventures, if you were in the group long enough to remember those.

2017-07-06 8:56 PM
in reply to: DaveL

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by DaveL Swimming long- just to add my 2 bits and a question. I see value in the long swim but mostly from the mental side of things. Knowing that I can "go the distance" puts my mind at ease and help me relax when I get out there. Also a question - When doing open water swims what are people doing? Is it the aforementioned 'long swim' or is this broken into sets somehow?

Once in masters, I figured that since i could handle myself in a 2,500 yd main set that getting through anything up to a half iron at a easier effort should go ok. There was also the Sunday one that would regularly be 4k or more. The entire workouts would be an additional 800-1k more with w/u and c/d. I did have that feeling on bigger swims before too, but it changed after getting into a more solid program.

Open water for me was more about just being outside instead of staring at a line in a pool (traded for the black abyss of a lake?). Things like sighting and familiarity come into it as well. Looking up to spot something half a mile or more away is a bit different than what any indoor pool can do. There is some technique to lifting your head around to see as well. Perhaps learning to deal with some chop in the water (although sharing with 5 guys at 220lbs or more has helped with that some). If you're in a decent group, practice with drafting and other race techniques can be done more easily.

I knocked off at least 8 minutes from a ~2.1 mile open water route without doing anything longer than 200 with any regularity. I was ahead of the lady with the watch, exhausted from a hard week, and swimming an s-shaped line as badly as one of the highlight vids can show, but was still that much faster.

2017-07-07 6:54 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

July 8-9
Ann-Marie - Moon Over Crom, trail run
Mary - Dances With Dirt Devil's Lake - Half Marathon on Saturday
Jim - Kiwanis 5k
Janyne - Devils Fork 100k on Saturday
Robin K - Boulder Peaks Tri on Sunday
Justin - Playtri Festival Olympic on Sunday
Melanie - Steelman OWS on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

2017-07-07 7:48 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

July 8-9
Jim - Kiwanis 5k

Is anyone else racing?

What a nice mix of events, enjoy all the racing this weekend!

2017-07-07 7:53 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella Deep tissue massage today. Oooh it hurt so good.

me too!

It was a great day for it. Especially since we had severe thunderstorms all day.
2017-07-07 8:01 AM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

July 8-9
Jim - Kiwanis 5k

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck Racers!
2017-07-07 8:44 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Racing Manatees!!!

July 8-9
Jim - Kiwanis 5k

Is anyone else racing?

it is a nice mix! Go racers go!

And yay to no DL!

2017-07-07 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

July 8-9
Jim - Kiwanis 5k

Is anyone else racing?

And yay to no DL!

Great list of races this week and no DL which is fantastic.
Have fun everyone.

2017-07-07 9:48 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner

Just booked Tri Bike Transport

80 days

Exciting!

2017-07-07 9:50 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

July 8-9
Jim - Kiwanis 5k

Is anyone else racing?

Wow!! This truly is a nice mix of races, I love it!

Good luck everyone, stay safe and have FUN!!

THANK YOU everyone for all your tips and advice. I feel like it's a new kind of beast that don't even know how to plan and prepare to. But maybe that should just add to an excitement I will definitely do my best to enjoy it. I absolutely love hiking there, I'll do Adrienne thingie and just take bunch of nice pictures to share

Once again, thanks, and all the best to all racers!
2017-07-07 9:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marysia83 Sorry for coming back to this once more.... But I need moral support... So this Saturday will be my first trail run. I did some reading on couple of runners' forums and most people said it's crazy difficult. So I basically am jumping straight into a very deep waters. My co-worker, marathon runner, told me as long as I feel ready for a regular HM distance, I should be fine, just take it slow and careful. I am also repeating Ben's earlier advice. Watch for roots, watch for rocks/stones, take it easy going downhill.... Attached is the elevation that scares the sh$%^& out of me, but my approach is to just take it slow and not think about the pace/speed. Anything else anyone wants to add...? I will have regular running shoes, nothing trail-specific.

If it hasn't already been mentioned, remember your trail pace will be a fair bit slower than your road pace so don't think you are not performing per usual when you see your pace or mile times.  Expect to be slower.  As the others have said, remember to pick your feet up a bit more and be mindful of rocks, roots, etc. especially toward the end when you are mentally and physically fatigued.  Be quick and light with your steps.  Have fun out there and be safe!  Trails, yay!

Edited by melbo55 2017-07-07 9:55 AM
2017-07-07 9:55 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

July 8-9
Jim - Kiwanis 5k

Is anyone else racing?

And yay to no DL!

A fun mix of events indeed!  Good luck to all!

2017-07-07 10:08 AM

User image

Master

Racing Manatees!!!

July 8-9
Jim - Kiwanis 5k

Is anyone else racing?

Wow, awesome list!  Good luck and have fun everyone.  

2017-07-07 10:46 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Originally posted by IronOx

80 days

How can a time frame seem so far out and so short all at the same time? 

Right!?!?
2017-07-07 10:49 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

July 8-9
Jim - Kiwanis 5k

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck racers!! Have a great race and have tons of fun!

2017-07-07 10:51 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by IronOx

80 days

How can a time frame seem so far out and so short all at the same time? 

Right!?!?

Exactly!!!!!!!!!

2017-07-07 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

July 8-9
Jim - Kiwanis 5k

Is anyone else racing?

Wow! Lots of racers and looks like a nice variety of distances. Have fun everyone!

2017-07-07 7:19 PM

User image

Melon Presser

GO HANDS-MARIE!!!
GO MARIA!!!
GO JIM!!!
GO NYNY!!!
GO FORTI!!!
GO JUSTIN!!!
GO PEACH MELBO!!!

2017-07-08 1:10 AM
in reply to: #5208007

User image

Master
Good luck, racers! I have a road race tomorrow. 47ish mile course. I'm pooped. Should be fun.
2017-07-08 12:00 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Expert
It was a smaller race, only about 80 people. I had a good race. 22:58 13th overall 2nd in age group (50-59), 3rd in masters. The old people did well.
2017-07-10 4:25 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

July 8-9
Jim - Kiwanis 5k

Is anyone else racing?

Sorry didn't get chance to wish you all luck! Hope all your races were good!
2017-07-10 1:44 PM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Pennsylvania

I survived Steelman but didn't make the time goal I had set for myself.  I don't think it was unrealistic and was pretty bummed I didn't hit it.  I had hoped to go under 2 hours (even if just by seconds, I don't mean way under) but didn't make it at 2:03:23.  Sigh.  I had hoped to clean up the 'unfinished' business at this race by making my time goal but I didn't, so even though this race really kicks my butt, I may need to sign up for it again.  Did I really just say that?!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102