BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-07-23 3:16 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
I was able to get my gravel bike fit done today (appointments, cleaning between, masks, etc) and the fitter had this! https://www.gebiomized.us/

OMG what an amazing tool!

I also learned that I tend to NOT sit on my seat bones, even on my gravel bike.

That said, we got the nose pressure out of the yellow & red zone and into green and blue. What a difference.

2020-07-23 9:21 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Hot Runner 

probably take on part-time gigs (tutoring, etc.

This doesn't help you for this very moment, but if remote learning continues to be a thing for years to come, I think there will be a huge market for tutoring by former educators. My boss is hiring a private tutor to help with her three kids' remote learning - they've got a group of neighbors who are all going in together on it - and I've heard of lots of folks going down this path. It's clear that most parents aren't equipped (especially if they have multiple children) - and when you add in both parents working full time, you have a huge gap. Sadly, this will only be an option for people who can afford it, but I definitely see opportunities for teachers who opt to not go back into the classroom.

Yes, I have heard from many, many parents that they are organizing groups of kids and hiring tutors.

There have been several posts on NextDoor in my area from parents looking for teachers to work with their kids. Most don't understand that teachers are still working, even if the district is going remote. One group of parents is offering 5k a month for someone to sit with a group of 10 middle school aged kids and make them do their remote lessons while their parents are at work. I was seriously considering it until a few people in that group showed me how they really feel about teachers. Something about we were lazy and didn't want school to start so we can do nothing except watch Netflix all day.

I also learned one more things today - taking 2 spare tubes on my ride was not enough. Walking 2.5 miles back to the car in bike shoes is not fun.
2020-07-25 10:11 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by glfprncs I was able to get my gravel bike fit done today (appointments, cleaning between, masks, etc) and the fitter had this! https://www.gebiomized.us/OMG what an amazing tool! I also learned that I tend to NOT sit on my seat bones, even on my gravel bike. That said, we got the nose pressure out of the yellow & red zone and into green and blue. What a difference.

That is cool!

2020-07-25 8:08 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by fortissimo

Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Hot Runner 

probably take on part-time gigs (tutoring, etc.

This doesn't help you for this very moment, but if remote learning continues to be a thing for years to come, I think there will be a huge market for tutoring by former educators. My boss is hiring a private tutor to help with her three kids' remote learning - they've got a group of neighbors who are all going in together on it - and I've heard of lots of folks going down this path. It's clear that most parents aren't equipped (especially if they have multiple children) - and when you add in both parents working full time, you have a huge gap. Sadly, this will only be an option for people who can afford it, but I definitely see opportunities for teachers who opt to not go back into the classroom.

Yes, I have heard from many, many parents that they are organizing groups of kids and hiring tutors.

There have been several posts on NextDoor in my area from parents looking for teachers to work with their kids. Most don't understand that teachers are still working, even if the district is going remote. One group of parents is offering 5k a month for someone to sit with a group of 10 middle school aged kids and make them do their remote lessons while their parents are at work. I was seriously considering it until a few people in that group showed me how they really feel about teachers. Something about we were lazy and didn't want school to start so we can do nothing except watch Netflix all day.

I also learned one more things today - taking 2 spare tubes on my ride was not enough. Walking 2.5 miles back to the car in bike shoes is not fun.

There are upper income families in the Detroit area that I removing their children from public school and home schooling them. Instead of teaching the kids themselves, they pooled their money and have hired a teacher at a rate higher than the school pays. They didn't feel it was safe to have their children return to traditional school, especially if the experts are correct and Michigan has a spike in September. Of course our state is a little impatient and may decide to have a spike sooner than that. You know because the virus isn't real, until you are on a vent.
2020-07-26 10:52 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

We are apparently going to hear of the school re-opening plans next week ... i am anxious about it. I definitely want in-person learning for our family - we have a nice, small neighbourhood school (no buses) up to grade 6. But then, you know, crazy virus out there ... but it probably time to start trying things around here. We have been extra cautious about re-opening here. We have super low numbers in Ontario - i check every day and we have had a couple of days this month that were around 200 new cases for the whole province (14 million, including Toronto which is Canada's largest city) but otherwise are around 130 new cases a day. One region with lots of farms is having issues with farm workers. We have a high testing rate - making testing available to any who want it (even signs on the highway to get tested if you feel even a little sick). Anyway all of that to say, even with low numbers it doesn't feel like there is a right course of action.  

2020-07-26 3:26 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by juniperjen

We are apparently going to hear of the school re-opening plans next week ... i am anxious about it. I definitely want in-person learning for our family - we have a nice, small neighbourhood school (no buses) up to grade 6. But then, you know, crazy virus out there ... but it probably time to start trying things around here. We have been extra cautious about re-opening here. We have super low numbers in Ontario - i check every day and we have had a couple of days this month that were around 200 new cases for the whole province (14 million, including Toronto which is Canada's largest city) but otherwise are around 130 new cases a day. One region with lots of farms is having issues with farm workers. We have a high testing rate - making testing available to any who want it (even signs on the highway to get tested if you feel even a little sick). Anyway all of that to say, even with low numbers it doesn't feel like there is a right course of action.  

Our local district had two physicians come in (the local pediatrician and a GP with kids in the school), they presented on what needed to be done to have in person school. The school board (I resigned when I took my new position) voted to re-open with their recommendations. I hope it works. In other districts, the teacher's unions are threatening to strike if they have in-person school, so they will open virtually. I think part of the issue may be financial the districts that are threatening to strike are most affluent and have the means to implement the programs the universities use to prevent cheating. The program Michigan State used worked half of my son's biology class failed the final exam (not my son) because of cheating.

2020-07-26 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
I can't wait until next year when we can talk about how our races went and pre-race neurosis. I really miss that.
2020-07-26 4:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by JBacarella

Our local district had two physicians come in (the local pediatrician and a GP with kids in the school), they presented on what needed to be done to have in person school. The school board (I resigned when I took my new position) voted to re-open with their recommendations. I hope it works. In other districts, the teacher's unions are threatening to strike if they have in-person school, so they will open virtually. I think part of the issue may be financial the districts that are threatening to strike are most affluent and have the means to implement the programs the universities use to prevent cheating. The program Michigan State used worked half of my son's biology class failed the final exam (not my son) because of cheating.

Our district had a few physicians talk to the powers that be and then they did an all employee Zoom. All the physicians said to not have any staff meetings in person, do all of them by Zoom.

We, I mean they, are doing cohorts and the kids will stay with each other all day. They will Zoom into their Lit, math, science, and social studies classes from the cohort room they are in. The cohorts will be grouped by grade level. However, they do not schedule classes by grade level but by ability level so that is why they will Zoom into different teachers. For example, the typical grade 7 student who reads and writes at a grade 9 will Zoom into a Level9 lit class. That same student who is grade level 6 for math will Zoom into the level 6 math class. The class will leave the room only to go to an elective as a class. There will be no band or choir because of the aerosol spray so those classes will be a general music class. Kids do not get to pick which elective and they will rotate between elective classes every 9 weeks.

In the past we have had to have separate lesson plans for each student (try that with 250-300 kids haha) but they are letting teachers do small group plans instead this year.

Edited by fortissimo 2020-07-26 4:50 PM
2020-07-26 5:53 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I can't wait until next year when we can talk about how our races went and pre-race neurosis. I really miss that.

Me too!

2020-07-26 9:11 PM

User image

My district's "Covid research study" begins tomorrow (teachers return) with full implentation (students return) in a week. I'm guessing by Aug. 20th we'll have an idea how big a mistake my school district has made.
2020-07-26 10:46 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
SOOO glad I live in Oregon. We are not returning in person (in our district) until at least mid-October, and then only (supposedly) if "public health conditions permit", to hybrid learning/small cohorts. Our school has small classes so that would mean 8-10 kids at a time. But that would coincide with what is no doubt going to be a new wave of cases once the college students return. Honestly would be surprised if we see any substantial in-person classes until/unless there's a vaccine. My worst fear (aside from getting sick and infecting Mom) is that it will just be an endless round of "distance learning", try to come back, shut down again, more "distance learning".....

I think they are trying to make the best they can of what is just a really bad situation for all concerned. Online learning, in my experience, isn't that effective, especially with younger kids and no, a lot of kids' physical and mental needs are not being met, but we don't know enough about the long-term risks to kids' health, community spread is too high in a lot of places to even think about putting a bunch of people in a building all day like that, and most public schools don't have the funding to put safeguards in place that might minimize the chance of outbreaks. And not even getting into the issue of whether kids of various ages (or even adults) can/will comply with social distancing, mask, and other rules. Adults in many places are not being very good role models of that.

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-07-26 10:52 PM

2020-07-27 9:35 AM

User image

Nothing like last minute...

Middle & high school students starting on Monday with hybrid sched/alternating days with 50% capacity.
2020-07-27 9:42 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Denver, Colorado
Do we have a meetup today...? If so, what time? I am all over the place because of the time zones
2020-07-27 10:47 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 Do we have a meetup today...? If so, what time? I am all over the place because of the time zones

I'm sorry, I was out of town last week and I have been unburying my inbox.  Five minute before the meetup, I realize that I had not sent the reminder so I bailed.  Bad Janyne! Bad!

2020-07-27 12:06 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by marysia83 Do we have a meetup today...? If so, what time? I am all over the place because of the time zones

I'm sorry, I was out of town last week and I have been unburying my inbox.  Five minute before the meetup, I realize that I had not sent the reminder so I bailed.  Bad Janyne! Bad!

I believe that scolding you is out of the realm of possibility, given all you do for us!

I had DD1 visiting with her husband this weekend. So, there's my excuse for the weekend. Now to go find my excuse (motivation?) for the past month+ of non-involvement.

2020-07-27 12:12 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella I can't wait until next year when we can talk about how our races went and pre-race neurosis. I really miss that.

Me too!

This will be amazing ...

Though i do think of things that will become 'new normal' from here on out for the next number of years ... remember how 9-11 changed flying? Many people i've talked to said in the aftermath they couldn't imagine flying again. Now 20 years later, we still have many protocols but they've relaxed a lot but air travel did become regular again. 

Thinking that use of masks in public places and hand-washing stations are going to be her for the foreseeable future ... 

2020-07-27 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Really wondering if races will be a thing anymore....Just read an article on how things probably won't be "normal" even if there is a vaccine as it will probably, at least initially, work more like a flu vaccine, not 100% effective, just lessen the chance of severe illness. So for someone who's in her 50's and lives with someone in her 80's, a big event or international travel might not be in the cards. That just sucks. Handwashing stations and masks, I can easily live with. If we'd had more of those in the first place travel would be safer and, in the long run, more pleasant. I flew a lot when I worked overseas and Mom and I traveled more in summer, and can recall picking up many, many upper respiratory and stomach bugs on flights. Have had parts of vacations and a world championship race ruined by this stuff.

For perspective on what "lockdown" really is: I heard this from a former colleague via the Vietnamese press. They discovered four local cases in Danang, Vietnam late last week after months with zero. Possibly started by people illegally traveling to/from China. Lockdown began at 1 PM yesterday. No inter-city trains, flights, or buses. No cars within the city except for food delivery and emergency vehicles (i.e. no private cars, ride share, taxis). Essential businesses only, leave house only to buy food. Unsure of status of outdoor exercise but last time in Hanoi and Saigon it was not allowed. For at least two weeks. That is a lockdown. It would never work here.

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-07-27 12:33 PM
2020-07-27 12:36 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

I believe that scolding you is out of the realm of possibility, given all you do for us!

I had DD1 visiting with her husband this weekend. So, there's my excuse for the weekend. Now to go find my excuse (motivation?) for the past month+ of non-involvement.

Oh, absolutely - after all both of you do for the group and the community!
I was actually super busy at work, and sad I would not be able to participate in the whole thing... so am acvtually thankful it didn't happen Although, I cannot wait for the next Manatee Zoom
2020-07-27 2:26 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I can't wait until next year when we can talk about how our races went and pre-race neurosis. I really miss that.

me too
2020-07-28 8:43 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Ha ha ha, truth!!  

My workouts still auto upload to Training Peaks even though I'm not currently using my coach.  Each time I look in TP, I see "What are you training for?"  Naturally, they mean for me to log an event.  At this point in time, it is asking me in a different tone, like, "What ARE you training for?!"  Getting tired of seeing that and taking the wrong affect from it, I put in Chatt 70.3 for 2021.  Now I'm not sure what is worse, the previous message or the "...event in 42 weeks".  LOL

2020-07-28 8:45 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by fortissimo

Our district had a few physicians talk to the powers that be and then they did an all employee Zoom. All the physicians said to not have any staff meetings in person, do all of them by Zoom. We, I mean they, are doing cohorts and the kids will stay with each other all day. They will Zoom into their Lit, math, science, and social studies classes from the cohort room they are in. The cohorts will be grouped by grade level. However, they do not schedule classes by grade level but by ability level so that is why they will Zoom into different teachers. For example, the typical grade 7 student who reads and writes at a grade 9 will Zoom into a Level9 lit class. That same student who is grade level 6 for math will Zoom into the level 6 math class. The class will leave the room only to go to an elective as a class. There will be no band or choir because of the aerosol spray so those classes will be a general music class. Kids do not get to pick which elective and they will rotate between elective classes every 9 weeks. In the past we have had to have separate lesson plans for each student (try that with 250-300 kids haha) but they are letting teachers do small group plans instead this year.
That's a good idea of letting differently leveled kids learn with the level they are working at rather than lumping them in with their own grade.  I hope it works well, it sounds like a decent plan.

2020-07-28 9:43 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Ha ha ha, truth!!  

My workouts still auto upload to Training Peaks even though I'm not currently using my coach.  Each time I look in TP, I see "What are you training for?"  Naturally, they mean for me to log an event.  At this point in time, it is asking me in a different tone, like, "What ARE you training for?!"  Getting tired of seeing that and taking the wrong affect from it, I put in Chatt 70.3 for 2021.  Now I'm not sure what is worse, the previous message or the "...event in 42 weeks".  LOL

I've tried putting in fake events.  Of course, when my fake events are canceled, I get annoyed ;-)

2020-07-28 10:25 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Weird....I have never been asked any questions by TP, and certainly not in a rude tone of voice. Maybe it's different with a coach. But no, I don't have a clue what I am training for. We have some tri club challenges, a few of which I am seriously regretting signing on for. (Breaking all bike power records in one month....OMG. Just the one-minute one about did me in. Beginning to think I am too old for this.) The 5K swim OWS one is much more fun. I should have chosen my challenges better, but my options were severely limited by running niggles, lack of pool time, and no people to ride with, or sag support for long bike challenges.

I guess I am training for some races in the future which may or may not exist. I will be honest--what really motivates me to train hard are world championships. I just like the idea and reality of seeing what I can do against people from all over. Local races are fine but they don't push me to train for months for my best performances, more to just do what's fun for months at a time and then pick it up a bit in the final month or two. I will have to rethink my goals in the sport if 70.3 Worlds or Kona aren't a thing in the future. (Or I become so slow I don't have a hope of qualifying!)
2020-07-29 7:21 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Well, my last planned event canceled today. I knew it would and as I haven't been training AT ALL, it is a good thing. So much has changed in my health, our business, as well as the rest of 2020 shitstorm, I have to totally reassess what I want to be doing.
2020-07-29 8:06 AM
in reply to: #5271724

User image

Champion
Bronze member
I would like to get over my fear of road biking. Around here it can be scary. But wow! Such beautiful rides!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127