General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Newton or Not To Newton Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-02-26 5:20 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: To Newton or Not To Newton
I would like to hear some thoughts on Newton running shoes. While I just threw down the $175 for them, I am suddenly looking for a head check. I figure there has to be a few thoughts - good, bad or ugly - on them.

2008-02-26 5:31 PM
in reply to: #1237228

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: To Newton or Not To Newton

Try them and if you don't like them send them back for a full refund.

I have 2 pairs. I bought my first at IMLP last summer. I had been struggling with achillies issues and plantar fasciitis on and off for 9 months. Since I started running with them I have been without the issue.

I got orthotics in January so I changed to the neutral shoe so  my orthotics can do their work properly.

I am a midfoot lander runner after converting from a heal striker so they work well for me.

2008-02-26 5:52 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

I bought a pair last year, and to be fair I wasn't a forefoot runner before, but they aggrivated my ITBS something terrible. That being said there are people who swear by them. It's really about how you strike and if you can alter your gait to the shoe (you break into the shoe not the other way around).

2008-02-26 5:55 PM

User image

Champion
I have a pair and like them.  There's nothing miraculous about them, and they're not for everybody.
2008-02-26 8:58 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
When I first read about them, I really wanted a pair. I waited, and I realized I really just wanted a new toy. I didnt buy them, and I have happily stuck to my Kayanos. Honestly, I think they are somewhat gimmiky, but if they get you out running more, or help with an injury.. then by all means, go for it.

I have absolutely ZERO experience with them... so take my statememt for what its worth.. about 2 cents.
2008-02-26 9:33 PM

User image

I think it depends on the person/gait. I love mine.

I just cut my marathon PR by half an hour (qualified for Boston on Sunday!) and haven't had any knee problems since I started using them. (I had a tricky knee before)

My stride feels a lot faster and more effecient running in them (my gait has certainly changed), so for me, the hefty price tag is worth it (I tell myself I'm buy them to stay injury free, but really I think I'm doing for all the PRs).

But if you are an efficient runner already, who knows. They are pricey.

2008-02-26 9:46 PM

User image

Elite
They work well for me as well, but mine have started to come apart, I am dealing with newton on this matter. Apparently they have had issues with people that have wide feet (my feet are flat, flat=wide).
2008-02-26 10:41 PM

User image

Plattsburgh, NY
I love mine -- has absolutely changed the way I run (used to be a major heel-striker). They are a great shoe to "sprinkle-in" to your workouts until you are comfortable with them. They are by no means a magic bullet to better running, however, if you really spend time focusing on your form and technique while running, the addition of Newtons can help speed the process along.

J.
2008-02-26 11:08 PM

User image

Plano, Tx

I was a heal-striker before I got my first pair of newtons. I wont lie. i bought my first pair thinking they would just change the way I ran. All I would have to do is go run, and bam.

While they have changed the way I run, it was a painful process due to my mentality. My first run in them I went out for 6.5 miles and turned around at mile 2 to walk home.

What I can say is that after 300 miles in them I absolutly love them. I tell all my friends that you really have to WANT to improve your running if these shoes are going to work for you.

I just got my second pair of newts this week and when I put them on I realized why I bought another pair. Now that my form is so much better they feel so responsive and light.

I love my newts, but can agree with everyone else. They're not for everyone.

Good luck

2008-02-26 11:25 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
When I saw the title I thought of Fig Newtons......mmmmmmm. In that case, definitely Newton.

Sorry, I have nothing useful to contribute to this discussion.
2008-02-26 11:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I bought a pair last summer and loved them - several nagging chronic issues (PF & shin splints) went away, plus my legs seemed less fatigued the days after my runs.  May I loved them too much as I got a stress fracture from doing too much.  I'm sure you'll train much smarter though!

2008-02-27 6:34 AM

Regular
I bought these in the fall and had a terrible time with them. Used it for their "break in period" and a half, but still was never able to run well in them. Admittedly before (and now again), I am a heavy heel striker. This is mostly recommended for mid-to-front strikers.
2008-02-27 6:41 AM
in reply to: #1238209

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Bryancd did a good write up on them after he bought a pair when he was at Arizona and spread the rewiew over quite a few runs and compared them to his regular shoes.  It is a good hands-on review but showed marginal to no improvement over his regular shoes.

To each their own though.  If you feel they benefit your gait and running style, go for it.  I just can't justify that much for a pair of shoes that I'd go through in two months personally.

2008-02-27 7:51 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
I have a pair - I like them.

I started using them in conjunction with reading 'Chi Running' - so I was really looking for a change in my running stride. Over the past year I've definitely pitched forward in my running, and the change in stride did speed me up. (Yes, really). Once I switched to Newtons, running on my forefoot became easier. I use them with my orthotics. I've been free from 'normal' running injuries.

I did, though, run a marathon on pavement in them and about 1/2 way through I was wishing I had more cushioning under my forefoot. My whole,er, tarsal area, really took a beating. I'm used to trail/dirt running. My friends who ran in the marathon and were not wearing Newtons said the same thing, though, so I don't know that shoes would have made a big difference. We just weren't used to running our long runs on pavement. I do know that if I'm training up for another pavement marathon distance I'll probably get some cushier shoes. I'm not a little gal, though. I used to run in the Brooks Beast, ages ago, if that tells you anything.

Pluses: definitely enhance forefoot striking, very lightweight, lots of airflow, flashy colors, so far they seem durable

Minuses: Allow cold and snow in through the mesh. Small sand/rocks, too. (keep them on a packed surface & you'll be fine). Could use more cushiness for a distance shoe for bigger runners. Your muscles will be oddly sore during the 'breaking you in to the shoe' period.

-H
2008-02-27 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

I had always wanted to try a pair, but didn't want to plunk down the dough (my regular shoes cost enough, in my mind); however, someone bought me a pair as a thank you, and I am so very sorry that I love them as much as I do. I don't know what I'm going to do when they are done and I need a new pair.

In the meantime, though, I like their lightweight yet cushy feel. I was already a fairly efficient runner. I think the characterization between forefoot and heel striker (and that this shoe will "make" you a forefoot striker) is misleading. Everyone's foot rolls from the hell to the ball when running. The difference is really foot placement. When your foot hits the ground is it in front of you or is it in line with your hips and shoulders (hence the "leaning" or falling forward)? The latter is the more efficient running form, and it leads to a higher cadence.

Anyway, I feel smooth and fast when I run in them. I doubt I'm any faster, but if I am more efficient and economical, then I can work on running faster. Thus far, I've only used them for short to medium long runs. I will race in them this weekend. So, we shall see.

2008-02-27 8:22 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Sneakers IMO are like saddles, you have to try them and see if it fits for you. However as someone pointed out above, Newtons are not for anyone, don’t expect a pair of sneakers to change your mechanics and you shouldn’t get them under that premise. We all have different running mechanics and there isn’t one proper way for running. If they newtons fit your gait and your budget enjoy!

2008-02-27 8:26 AM

User image

Runner

It's a running shoe. A pricey running shoe.

I have cheaper ways to improve your running form and stride mechanics and cadence.

Call me the eternal skeptic, but I have serious doubts about whether a shoe will make me more efficient/economical. I do know that wearing the wrong pair will make my feet hurt.

So far, my Mizunos seem to be doing a wonderful job. And they are less than half the price.

And for the record, heel striking in and of itself is NOT bad.  Overstriding is bad.  One does not necessarily beget the other. 

Edited by Scout7 2008-02-27 8:28 AM
2008-02-27 8:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Carolina
I have heard of a lot of people who benefited from them....I would like to try them myself to see if they are what they are cracked up to be. I heard that when you first get them you aren't supposed to run but a mile or 2 so you can get used to them. If you run over that then you may risk injury.
2008-02-27 9:56 AM

User image

Regular
Edmonton
I have found they are helping me stop being a heal striker. I wouldn't say they have made me a faster runner but I would say they've helped me change my running sytle so that I am less likely to get injured. I was having some issues before I got them but am relatively problem free now.
2008-02-27 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am on my second pair, so obviously, for me, they work right now.  I have never run until I started tri-training,and my form was not good. The newtons help me to strike properly, thus saving me tremendous pain. Just as important as the product, is the company that sells it. If you are not happy, Newton will take care of you. Talk  with them to see.

Best of luck! 

2008-02-27 10:41 AM

User image

If you are a terminal heel-striker having trouble 'on your own' converting to a mid-foot -- buy the newtons, for sure. 

If you can convert on your own to landing on your metatarsals, then I recommend (provided you have a mostly-neutral gait) Asics Speedstar II's.  They are more than half the price, are lightweight (8.8 oz!), comfy and cushiony (not so much if your a heel-striker) and easy to get on quickly (at least for me).  Speed, comfort, easy to get on, low heel, cushiony forefoot, more than 1/2 the price of Newtons...

Read some stellar reviews here: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/ASC1190/

I used this shoe to run my first and only marathon.  It's Asics best kept secret. 

2008-02-27 10:45 AM

User image

Runner
2008-02-27 10:50 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Note:  Completely second hand stories here.

2 friends of mine bought them and I spoke to each of them about what they thought. 

Male about your build loves the shoes.  BUT only if you are "running" in them.  He says they kill him when he does LSD work.  So he uses them for tempo or anything above easy running.  He is a Nike Free guy and hates having a 'structured' shoe.  He conformed to the shoe, but didn't see any improvement other than making him lean forward more.

Female super fast runner:  She was a mid-fore foot striker any way and it killed her arch.  I would consider her a very efficient runner and it just wasn't a shoe for her.  That's all she said.

So the moral is:  When they come in, pay CLOSE attention to how your body reacts to them.  Keep a log and do some repeat runs (with and without the shoe).  See if there is a difference for YOU.

My 2 cents.

2008-02-27 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Running trails in S. Ontario
I never heard of these shoes until I became a part of the tri community.  I have been running for the past 15 years, and find it odd that I never ran into much discussion about these in my running community or any of the running magazines.  To me it seems like a trendy thing in tri circles, but if they are that good, why aren't more runners aware of them?  I will stick to my Mizunos.
2008-02-27 11:34 AM
in reply to: #1238829

User image

Veteran
Denver

pinktrigal - 2008-02-27 9:53 AM  I have been running for the past 15 years, and find it odd that I never ran into much discussion about these in my running community or any of the running magazines. 

A couple of reasons, possibly...

1)Well, they have only been available for < 1 year now.  Not sure why the running magazines have ignored them, but if you search runnersworld.com shoe discussion forum for them, you'll find quite a bit of discussion about them, especially from spring of 07 when they became available.

2) Newton has targeted the tri community - apparently were early adopters of new stuff .

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Newton or Not To Newton Rss Feed  

of 3