St Anthony's Health Care
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 38s
Overall Rank = 414/3548
Age Group = m35-39
Age Group Rank = 57/332
Pre-race routine:

day before open water swim on the course. Out along the Pier to yellow turn bouy and back, then half way back out, and back. Got good acclimation to the water.
Event warmup:

Just the hustle and bustle of getting set up, and over to the swim start. No pre-race swim, no time for it. In true form, I made a first race of the season mistake.. forgot bike computer at the car.
Swim
  • 30m 20s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

The day prior to the event, I had made the decision to not wear my wetsuit. Of course, the day prior was pretty flat and calm. Not true of race day. The waves were up, and there was a discernable outward current after the last turn into shore. I lost 3 minutes over last year, but then just about everyone else did as well, so all in all, I think I had a good strong swim, just that my time was all conditions would allow for. I didn't fatigue one bit, and was and still am happy with my decision to swim sans wetsuit. Water was crowded, but not even close to Ironman so that was no big deal. No hits or bumps to speak of. Oh, I was able to see the bottom almost the whole way. That is a St. Anthony's first for me. I'd rather just not see the bottom. Freaks me out. :)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Not wearing the wetsuit was a test. Next time the decision is subject to same conditions and circumstances.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

My spot in Transition was not great, and transition is HUGE, so I am pretty happy with my time. No issues. No wetsuit to get off me.. which was good.

Have helmet strap unbuckled.. I lost a few seconds fumbling with that thing.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 57s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 23.32 mile/hr
Comments:

My best bike split ever in terms of average pace. First five miles I spent acclimating to the bike from the swim. Felt good, knew I could push it and not 'pay' at the end.. so I did. Big problem though. I took my bike to Maintenance the day before for some cable and derailleur adjustments. They did a great job with that. Shifting was perfect, and better than ever. Took my bike right from there to Transition. So what was the problem? Well, my bike seat was low.. way too low. All I can determine, is that they removed it while it was getting serviced, and put it back on too low, and I didn't think to check it... anyway, I could not get full extension on my leg. Only about 3/4.. so, the question became "is it worth it to get off the bike, adjust up, and get back on?" My answer was no, that the two or three minutes that could take would be too costly. So I adjusted my position, sat further back on the seat to get the leverage I needed, and upped my cadence in an easier gear at other times. I made the best of it, but I feel I could have done even a little better on my bike than I did due to that issue.

Other than that, bike was crowded. I was in a pack of about 10 other riders, and none of us could drop the pack.. even though we all tried at various times. No one in this pack was drafting. There were constant manuvers and decent positioning taking place. I was not unhappy with it at all.

One point.. while this is a flat fast course, there are some Silver Comet like grinders on it. Also, with 34 ish tight turns which require breaking and careful maneuvering in a crowd, these points make me especially happy with my time and pace.

Check seat for proper adjustments. Get it marked so a quick look will tell me if all is well.

Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Good T2. Getting off the bike, I knew my legs would allow me to have a decent run. No real T2 issues.

Nothing
Run
  • 46m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where the fun started for me. I didn't really have a target in this race till this point. By target, I mean someone to beat. This is where I was the hunter, and Z was the hunted. Saw him about 500 yards ahead of me. Was not completely sure it was him, but was confident. The SF jersey stands out.. that and the red shoes. So I decided this would be more about reeling him in if possible, than about wearing myself out to catch him and then try to maintain. It was never my goal to try to beat him, but today.. it became my goal. So.. first mile. Stomache was not cooperating. Felt locked up. Had to force some burps and almost threw up in the process. Was not happy, but pushed through it. After the first mile, I looked at my time.. 7:27.. "ok, I can maintain this" is what I thought, so I continued on. Drank only sips of gatorade to try to unlock my stomache, and dumped water over my head at every stop. At about mile 2.5, Z stopped at a water stop. Fatal error for him. Even though he only lost MAYBE 5 - 7 seconds, I knew the animal was wounded. Heh. Ok, I knew I had a chance. So.. here is where strategy takes over. Z was aware that I was behind him. He knew, or would know how to pace based on where he saw me on the run course. I gained considerable ground on him by the turn around point.. It was me, another guy, and Z. I actually 'hid' behind this other guy by moving to the right angle. Once the turn was made, I actually settled in and moved to just behind Z. I allowed my HR to recover for a few minutes while he paced me.. unknowingly :) .. at mile 4, I got next to him and said.. "hey.. nice run" Z said.. I was looking for you.. I said Yeah, I kinda hid behind someone back at the turn. After that, I accelerated away and my thought process was.. if he is going to beat me, he is going to earn it. So I just did my thing through to the finish. Crossed at 2:24. Z crossed at 2:25. So, I was able to beat him. First time. He says he is not training as hard, so maybe it was a fluke, but still. I was happy with it.

So, the run was really fun for me. I made it an event in and of itself.

Nothing. Stomach issues will be addressed via nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

Got the sweet ice towel and drapped it over my head. Headed to the NAMC tent and drank some beer. ok, lots of beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Seat on bike, Stomache on run.

Event comments:

St. Anthony's is a great event. I'll sign up again next year.

Last updated: 2007-12-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:20 | 1640 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/332
Overall: 0/3548
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Horseshoe shaped, point to point course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:03:57 | 24.85 miles | 23.32 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Technical course, lots of turns. Speed tables that you need to be careful going over.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:46:22 | 06.21 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out and back through a nice neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-29 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: St Anthony's Triathlon

2008-04-29 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1369053

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: St Anthony's Triathlon
Great race and RR!  I'd have loved to watch your cat and mouse game out there!   Sounds like a great race between you two!  Way to go, now it's time for GC!
2008-04-29 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Blistering fast bike ride. Maybe I should look into a lower seat, too.

What a great prep for GCT - You're primed for a huge day. Congrats.
2008-04-29 11:17 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Great race Ron, and good job beating Z. I guess I should be checking for you next weekend, huh?
2008-04-29 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Wow - great race!! Congrats on a new PR and beating Zimmer - I bet it helped to have someone to chase when your stomach was locking up on you.

I can't figure out why they moved your seat to adjust your derailler, but I've had that happent to me before too. They should know better than to mess with that stuff, in my opinion though.

2008-04-29 12:04 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great race and fun RR to read, Ron...poor Z - the wounded animal...heh

2008-04-29 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Kicka$$ bike split!! Nice work!  I loved reading the narrative on the run, that was cool!!  Way to go get that goal!  Congrats!!
2008-04-29 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Great race.  sounds like you had fun, especially on the run.  Good work.
2008-04-29 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great race! Congrats on a PR. For your first race of the season you killed it and still have room for improvemnts. That's awesome! No telling what progress you'll make this summer. Also, good job for beating Z..he's on my list Seriously though, you smoked the bike and earned a well deserved PR and bragging rights. heh. Nice work Teed.
2008-04-29 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Dude! Killer and great job chasing down Z. You know you had a good race when you get that "maybe want to puke" feeling.
2008-04-29 2:39 PM

User image

Austell, GA
Great race and very impressive bike ride.  I love the way you made a race within a race.  I like the way you became the predator.  Nice race report their alway a pleasure to read. 

2008-04-29 9:25 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Good stuff...bike split was excellent...give the amount of bike miles you had on your legs...even more impressive.  Your strength is your running and you showed it.  Overall, can't be this as the start of your tri season. 
2008-04-30 4:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Dude. What has gotten in to you? Strong start for sure. Like the % of your AG. See you before GC because once the gun goes off I'll only see your tail lights!

Awesome.

H.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed